So...is sniper really that bad?

Hasmodye

Snipers are stupid. 90% of them can only sit on a ramp and pick off targets that are already engaged. What fun is that? I always marvel at someone who stays with a sniper for longer than 2 weeks, because I would be bored to tears.

As an Anni Marauder, If I feel like killing a Sniper, its dead. As an Immortal Jugg, well, I have a longer fight but still ends the same.

Snipers are more annoying than scary.

You mean if all your cooldowns are up, and you have a medpack, and you're going up against a bad sniper, it's dead? Oh, and if you have trouble, you just vanish and scurry away:cool:. Fixed it for you.

Edited by GeneralThorsson

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest advantage UNIQUE to snipers is that you cannot shut down their damage like you can with other classes. You can only LOS them.

What I mean - say the ball carrier at low hp needs to cross the last 20 meters. Or a healer needs to heal someone. Or your team is trying to plant the bomb. There are all times when people NEED to be in position - they can't use LOS to block off sniper damage.

With all other classes, you can stop their damage through either stuns or interrupts or knockbacks. Melee on your ball carrier? Use AOE knockback to clear them out. Sorceror spamming lightning at you? Interrupt his cast and lock it out. Merc spamming tracers at you? Interrupt his cast and lock it out. No interrupts available? Just stun them.

Snipers.... when they need something dead... deploy their 20 second CC immunity cooldown and +20% damage resistance AOE shield and go... tough luck, I'm here, and I'm going to burst you down, and the only thing you can do is run.

Everyone talks about LOSing snipers, but if the enemy ball carrier doesn't run into the goal area and instead runs away from my goal I"m cool with that. If the enemy team abandons defusing the bomb and instead runs away I'm cool with that. I win.

For objective based combat, this is the advantage that snipers have - the ability to put down damage that cannot be stopped. If all you're doing is putzing around the middle and randomly shooting people who have the luxury of going behind walls to LOS you I'd argue that neither you or the enemy were doing anything useful anyway.

---

As for sniper damage, it's pretty comparable to other classes. I've landed 6.5k ambushes and 5k explosive probes. Orbital Strike can crit for over 5k per pulse in Engineering spec, yes you can get the medal with that. With an over 40% crit rate, you can absolutely destroy light and medium armour with just ambush+explosiveprobe+sos+takedown regardless of spec. And you go and take out heavy armor with cull... fully critted culls can do 9k.

Shhh, don't give away the secret that we're actually REALLY strong! Let everyone continue to think we're weak so noone plays us imo.

Seriously though, anyone that says snipers suck at PVP just don't know wth they're doing. One of the best things about Snipers is people don't really know what to expect from them, because they are such an unpopular class. I love people that walk up to me and blow their CCs / knockbacks while I'm entrenched, or the melee that sits there and beats on me while my shields are up and orbital strike is centered on top of me. :wea_09:

Snipers are sooo good I'm a lvl 21 sniper right now and the burst is amazing. you destroy sorcs because of there light armor and you can just knock back and root sents/mauraders all day and destroy them. Just play smart know where you are and stay back we have a range of 35 Meters for a reason

this sort of comment is the general statement among low lvl snipers, but as you get higher in lvl and even more so at 50 you will notice that your burst damage stays near what it was at 21 but the other classes become nearly imposible to kill, cc is just plain useless against some classes. and when on average any sage/sorc merc/comando sentinel/maurader can burn you down doing easily a third more damage than your self and then heals them selves with what seem like instant heals and buffs, you stand little chance. Bio created sniper to be a pure dps class, fits no other role yet is almost completely not needed because otheres can fill the role do more damage and still off heal or more ect.

when you get unknow effect happen to you severel million times the class can beocme infuriating especially when your standing on flat ground.

Also the prevention of cover whilst rooted makes a complete mockery of the whole cover system, thank god it changes in the next patch.

cover pulse rarely works even if the opposing player has zero resolve and when it does work it seems to send the opposing player in any direction it wants to do.

All in all if you have stuck as a snipe you have done well to this point, several times ive though of rerolling but stuck with it.

I also have a jugger at 50 and although I love my sniper to bits i cant help think when im on my juggernaught im doing vastly more that I feel that helps my team.

my adivce to new starting snipers is its alot of fun levelling up when you get follthrough in mm spec your gooner faceroll alot of people fast but when you hit 50 get ready for that rarely happening and deflection being your worst enemy

Edited by fozbozjimjam

To be completely honest i level a marauder to 50 and full bm before it was easy mode. Then i switched to a sniper not only is it more difficult to play than my mara it does better burst and has waaayyy better control. What most people dont understand is that you are more support dps than anything. Put scatter shot on targets so everyone gains 20% armor pen on that ball carrier. Idk people who are bad at snipers or didnt level one to max level and get them geared shouldnt speak on this. finding the sweet sniper spots where melee have a hell of a time getting to me is the most fun

A well played sniper/GS can turn things around in a WZ. Very high burst damage, CC capability and when you pop your cool downs, you can burn down a healer really quick.

As far as playing a sniper/GS, to many people who play these classes are not working with the team or objectives. They are just trying to pile on damage and KB's, which doesn't help. WHen you actually work towards a goal of the WZ, they can contribute. 1.2 should add more utility though.

Snipers/GS start to really take off in the mid to late 20's, when you get some better abilities and deeper into the trees. It is a fun class and if you know your abilities (can be challenging to now your abilities and rotations), you can do very well.

I dissagree with almost ALL these post. I'm a valor 69 in full BM gear and sniper sucks *** in EVERY way you can think of. Snipers have the survive ability of a baby slug. While other classes of two or MORE ranged cc's we have none, and no, leg shot doesn't count for ****. They can cast at your or in most cases while they can't move they'll throw a HoT on themsleves or other heal. There is NO range advantage. Leg shot someone the split second they are in range and by the time it hits them they are well with in 30 meters, so no rnage advantage. No self healing in any way shape or form. The single biggest weakness is that damn cover. 4/5 of all your abilities require cover, cover means zero movement and in PvP MOVEMENT is above ALL else in importance. You get in a fire fight... they move 5 meters to the side, LOS is gone, you are nothing. Once your 10 secconds of bunker is used up they better be dead or you are. For the simple fact that you will be cc's before you cast anything else with such long cast times.

From looking at 1.2 notes I am very dissapointed in sniper adjustments. Looking at the adjustments they made I guess they are happy with where snipers are in pvp, I cna't comrehend that. You will not see snipers in any ranked premades, we are a liabilty and everyone knows that. I have a lvl 50 assasin now and I tell you what, if you think snipers are 'good' at pvp play another class, ANY class. I also have a 37 BH, 10 times more uselfull in pvp. Play another class in pvp and you will enjoy it SO much more. You'll have sprints, heals, cc's of all sorts on a single charater, leaps, pulls, various escapes, MOBILE knockbacks... the list goes on and on. Sniper has NONE of these key items. Better dps? SHOW me the numbers. Burst dps? LOL No more than anyone else. It's 'burst' because of long cast times but it is NO MORE. Channel lightning or 2.5 second Ambush, same damage only delivered over time in a different way that makes you THINK it's more. One the life goes down slow and steady the other all at once after a long period of nothing.

I play my BM sniper in pvp today after playing my no gear assasin for the last week and... I can't go back knowing how bad it really really is. Being literally man handled by every class out there and you just have to take it.

I like my sniper in pve and he is my main, but pvp no more.

I really disagree, but I'm not going to get in a huge fight over how "bad" the Sniper is.

To be completely honest i level a marauder to 50 and full bm before it was easy mode. Then i switched to a sniper not only is it more difficult to play than my mara it does better burst and has waaayyy better control. What most people dont understand is that you are more support dps than anything. Put scatter shot on targets so everyone gains 20% armor pen on that ball carrier. Idk people who are bad at snipers or didnt level one to max level and get them geared shouldnt speak on this. finding the sweet sniper spots where melee have a hell of a time getting to me is the most fun

Ha! I was in the same boat. I leveled a marauder first right off the bat, then decided I didn't like it as much as I thought I would and rerolled as a sniper. I love this class and it sure as heck isn't useless at all. Snipers are very very good if used properly.

I think the Snipers pretty good, I assume it is anyway. I've topped charts playing on my computer which isn't up to the minimum specs for TOR (I literally don't know how it runs). I do get killed by Assassins, but I partially attribute that to the fact the Tab button doesn't like to target them even when they are beating my face in, and my computer lags too much to click on them as they dance in acrobatic circles.

Sniper is not a bad class, it’s a thinking mans class and it is certainly not for everybody. Timing, preparation and placement play a larger role than on most classes.

The much needed fixes in 1.2 will keep me well satisfied.

I predict that the new influx of marauders/sentinels will start crying about OP snipers (what few of us there are) When they get demolished.

Edited by Kalliadies

Sniper is not a bad class, it’s a thinking mans class and it is certainly not for everybody. Timing, preparation and placement play a larger role than on most classes.

The much needed fixes in 1.2 will keep me well satisfied.

I predict that the new influx of marauders/sentinels will start crying about OP snipers (what few of us there are) When they get demolished.

Good maras are pretty balanced with good slingers. Bad maras cry when they underestimate our burst.

Good maras are pretty balanced with good slingers. Bad maras cry when they underestimate our burst.

That being my point.

Currently there is a very small population of snipers. By the nature of the class, the ones that are still playing them tend to be the ones that know what they are doing.

Marauder population is growing considerably due to FOTM , of which a very small percentage will be nasty.

When these new marauders get blown up by battle hardened snipers, what do you think the reaction will be.

Edited by Kalliadies

lol I just smile when I see the post about maras becoming FotM. Just thinking about when they come at me and I knock them back and root them for a couple a seconds, then knock them back again, then stun them a couple times as they keep trying to just get to me to unload their damage they will think is king; and that dumb look I imagine on their face when they are about to die and just looking at me about 15 meters out. Or, in Hutt ball if I just knock them off the platform and they can't leap back up.

If nothing else comes from 1.2 more than people rolling Maras as FOTM rather than heavy armored BHs/Commandos to where I see more of them; it will be a good day for me. Problem is, I think some of that will go to darkness assassins; which we are no better off.

I think if you're a seasoned intelligent MMO player then you'll do just fine with a sniper, you'll figure out the weaknesses and do what needs to be done to minimize them. You'll do good damage in pve and you'll become a vulture in pvp taking out wounded and squishy targets; you'll prey that your team is making a good enough distraction for you to remain unnoticed. If you're of average-to-poor ability then you'll probably hate it and change class. Edited by Crankyhobo

Previous poster makes a good point. If you are with a bad team; it directly affects how effective you can be as a sniper. You suddenly are more focused on and burned down and often times, there are things in warzones for example you KNOW you shouldn't do but become a sacrificial lamb for the slaughter in a futile attempt to do what has to be done when the rest of your team is failing to do so.

Previous poster makes a good point. If you are with a bad team; it directly affects how effective you can be as a sniper. You suddenly are more focused on and burned down and often times, there are things in warzones for example you KNOW you shouldn't do but become a sacrificial lamb for the slaughter in a futile attempt to do what has to be done when the rest of your team is failing to do so.

Yeah, we're best playing a support role which is my favorite game style.

This is the reality of it. If my team mates can hold their own, I will stick it to the enemy and rarely die. If my team are incompetent or heavily out matched I end up on the front line trying to do the job they couldnt. This is when dying happens.

I have my hands full shutting down marauders these days :) god I love being a sniper

I cant wait for dual specs. I have 2 specs that are perfect for either situation.

Edited by Kalliadies

I play on a good populated server. This is the 3rd day I dont see any other sniper. Its a reason for it. We had a fresh 50 in our group a couple of matches a little while ago, and he got destroyed in seconds. Was that bad skill? No, of course not. Sniper is impossible at fresh 50 unless you have healers around you, or you face other fresh 50s.

Are we really that bad? Some builds are ok I guess, and some servers are very imperial heavy so you will do ok. But when you face good groups of equals they will know exactly how to take you out. Face a bad group in good gear and you will dominate with gear.

Edited by finansjapp

I play on a good populated server. This is the 3rd day I dont see any other sniper. Its a reason for it. We had a fresh 50 in our group a couple of matches a little while ago, and he got destroyed in seconds. Was that bad skill? No, of course not. Sniper is impossible at fresh 50 unless you have healers around you, or you face other fresh 50s.

Are we really that bad? Some builds are ok I guess, and some servers are very imperial heavy so you will do ok. But when you face good groups of equals they will know exactly how to take you out. Face a bad group in good gear and you will dominate with gear.

Fresh 50s that didnt prepare for 50 do get destroyed pre 1.2

I Myself made sure I had one Champion bag and 1000/1000 commendations before hitting 50.

This automatically gave me 2 centurion and 1 champion pieces the moment I hit 50. I had inserted all my custom gear with 49 purple mods and enhancements. I added to these with the purple enhancements from doing the dailies on Illum.

The break into 50 period wasnt as bad as I had heard. I was still nuking harder than most and being a general pain. This is my opinion from solo queuing on The Swiftsure as an Imp (republic players and premades are nearly always better).

I find that the majority dont know how to take snipers down, more they just know you are squishy and dont take hits well. They are so caught up in the fact that you are squishy, that a great percentage of them are completely ignorant of what you are actually doing.

Snipers need to know all the other classes to time abilities properly. When you can do this, you can take advantage of the fact that all the enemy sees is a free kill.

Anything short of a well played stealth OP or Tank Assasin that comes after my sniper usually gets their intention returned with interest.

Edited by Kalliadies

That little extra expertise would mean nothing on my server. You would still be smashed in matter of seconds as fresh 50. The problem is that you will not do much damage to any premade, and you will be owned by any class with slightly better gear that knows what they are doing.

I still do my daily quests with my sniper, and do ok. But I am in almost full battlemaster with full buffs from stims. Its getting more and more difficult to do well though.

That little extra expertise would mean nothing on my server. You would still be smashed in matter of seconds as fresh 50. The problem is that you will not do much damage to any premade, and you will be owned by any class with slightly better gear that knows what they are doing.

I still do my daily quests with my sniper, and do ok. But I am in almost full battlemaster with full buffs from stims. Its getting more and more difficult to do well though.

I am a 3 piece battlemaster with the rest champion. I have tailored my stats to take advantage of my spec. Currently I dont have stims or adrenals. I dont even use warzone medpacks (saving as many commendations as possible). Its very much do or die.

The only class that bothers me significantly is a well played Operative/scoundral or tank assasin. (ie classes with high burst damage that can get close without me seeing and unload alot of damage before I can counter)

Edited by Kalliadies

The only class that bothers me significantly is a well played Operative/scoundral or tank assasin. (ie classes with high burst damage that can get close without me seeing and unload alot of damage before I can counter)

This. I hate Scoundrels that pick you out and don;t leave you alone. This is the class that gives me the hardest time as well, as I never see them coming.