Fashion Design 101

Sendai_S

Ok, the problem with the Republic (and some of the Empire) designs is that they go too far.

The one design rule they apparently forgot was K.I.S.S.

"Keep it simple, stupid."

Looking cool is about flow. It's about being sleek. It's not about duckbills on your arms and hands or wearing what looks like animal fur with wooden circles on your chest.

Their are a few new costumes coming in 1.2 and I thank the Force that my consular characters are female... cause the new consular costume for PVE will look GREAT on females. But for males???? What???!

I seriously recommend that you folks at Bioware take a few more cracks at the designs. Reel them in some. Get rid of the stupid hats. (Smuggler Hats are ok. Consular helms are 99% YAK! And omg the spitoon that Jedi Knights get! <shudder!>)

Use Han Solo, Luke, Leia, Lando, and the movies as your inspiration. Don't use Lady Gaga.

( P.S. I wouldn't mind the Consular PVE armor so much if the duck bills were gone.)

Edited by Sendai_S

Use Han Solo, Luke, Leia, Lando, and the movies as your inspiration. Don't use Lady Gaga.

THIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. But style is individual; not every (whoever) is going to want to be a clone of every other (whoever).

Well, I'm not saying to copy them - just use for inspiration. All I know is the ridiculous ornate stuff doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. Republic had black robes yet - in this game we have no black robes in the republic. Jedi can and sometimes should look similar.

All I'm saying is give us a way to customize our looks more and the big thing I'm saying is to remember to Keep it simple. Stupid. :D

Edited by Sendai_S

That's because the devs correctly predicted that consulars would mostly be "female" (quotations since most of these female characters are controlled by men). I have a male consular and managed to find decent armor for him, though I wish it didn't have the hood =( want to show his face and hair.

All I'm saying is give us a way to customize our looks more and the big thing I'm saying is to remember to Keep it simple. Stupid. :D

You will be able to rip the mods out of this gear and put it into something else.

And there is always the purple non-moddable gear if you want to wear that.

I do not know what sorts of schematics they are going to add to armormech/synthweaving, but there are a variety of looks available.

I look at these sets and in every one of them I see something that I do not like, but I also see something that I think might be okay and that I might use in combination with other pieces from other sets.

And by other sets, I mean all of the things that exist in the game now as well as what is coming in 1.2.

I'll just have to get what I like for looks and get what I like for what is slotted in it, and put it all together myself, complete with optional piece-by-piece color matching to the chest and being able to hide my head slot gear.

To me, that is a great deal of flexibility in customizing my appearance.

You will be able to rip the mods out of this gear and put it into something else.

And there is always the purple non-moddable gear if you want to wear that.

I do not know what sorts of schematics they are going to add to armormech/synthweaving, but there are a variety of looks available.

I look at these sets and in every one of them I see something that I do not like, but I also see something that I think might be okay and that I might use in combination with other pieces from other sets.

And by other sets, I mean all of the things that exist in the game now as well as what is coming in 1.2.

I'll just have to get what I like for looks and get what I like for what is slotted in it, and put it all together myself, complete with optional piece-by-piece color matching to the chest and being able to hide my head slot gear.

To me, that is a great deal of flexibility in customizing my appearance.

It's going to cost you about 725k to change your appearance if you are using level 50 epic mods and augments. With a price tag that high a lot of the fun is taken out of Biowares appearance system. Very few people will be able to afford to change their look more than once or twice after the initial switch.

With a price tag that high it really isn't as flexible as one would think.

Edited by illgot

I just believe they're going too far with the designs. Simple solid functional designs would suit the game much more than these ridculously overthought monstrosities they have. Also, more variety is good. I really do go out of my way to try and wear things that other people aren't wearing.

As I've posted elsewhere, what we really need along these lines is a "paint & body shop" (vendor) for ships, speeders and armor, and a "tailors shop" (vendor) for soft goods.

The OLD (1980s) game Red Baron offered a pretty good selection of paint options once you achieved a certain number of kills. Combat Mission (1990s) had a wide array of alternative paint schemes for vehicles based on region and season of operation. Shouldn't be too hard for SWTOR to have the same kind of options.

The current counselor PvP gear looks amazing. I absolutely love it. The centurion colors.

New gear looks 100% terrible. Is it really going to cost that much to take out mods?

I actually disagree on the Consular PVP gear. It's OK. It's certainly better than the Consular PVE gear with the duck bills pasted onteh shoulders and hands.

Honestly, it's the same for hte Inquisistor PVE gear. That stuff would actually be 100% acceptible if it lost the shoulderpad pointies and the weird half pointy skirt that hangs off the back.

It's been debated a lot.

My personal opinion, for whatever that's worth, is that someone forgot that this is a Star Wars game with adult themes played by adult players and decided to design the end-game armor sets for 12-year olds with years of time in on WoW already.

Nevermind that WoW is a cartoon fantasy game where insane armor makes some sort of warped sense and this is a game for grown-ups who want cool characters with attractive, sleek, elegant looks.

It's been debated a lot.

My personal opinion, for whatever that's worth, is that someone forgot that this is a Star Wars game with adult themes played by adult players and decided to design the end-game armor sets for 12-year olds with years of time in on WoW already.

Nevermind that WoW is a cartoon fantasy game where insane armor makes some sort of warped sense and this is a game for grown-ups who want cool characters with attractive, sleek, elegant looks.

Definitely. I'm an artist and a damn good one too. I get paid to work on stuff that get's published and I know about design as I have to designs on the fly as well as researched ones.

I don't know who was in charge of production design (I assume that's the title - in movies this is the title of the person who does most of the "look" of the movie) or I assume maybe in this case costume design, but they didn't know Star Wars in my opinion.

They lied to get the job. Heh!