swtor killed my power supply ?

CoLLaToS

Today I launched SWTOR and after a few seconds on the splash screen, my computer shut off as if the plug was pulled from the wall (except mobo/lan led's were still on).

My computer has never crashed, so this was very strange. I have been playing SWTOR on this machine for about 3 weeks without any issues. I have left the machine on that entire time except for the occasional reboot. No heat issues.

I put my hand on the power supply and it was the only component which seemed hot at all.

What do you guys think? It is a 500W power supply but it is at least 2 years old.

I am going to go ahead and upgrade to a new 750W but just wanted to see if anyone else ran into this issue.

- also, I turned the PC back on, started up SWTOR, and the same thing happened immediately. I tried one more time to start up the computer - it stayed on for about 5 minutes longer but again shut off completely.

Edited by CoLLaToS

If your PSU was fried, I don't think your mobo's led's would still be on. But a 450W PSU seems a bit weak, even for a mid range PC. Upgrading the PSU can't be bad, but you may wanna check the condition of the PC's other components.

450W power supply is quite low by todays standards. It's not a killer if you're on an older machine with a graphics card that doesn't consume large amounts of power and if your set up has ran swtor for a few weeks then I would suggest the power is fine, especially as you still have power to the mobo.

A more likely culprit is overheating, what is the cooling / ventilation like on your system. When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of the fans / heatsinks? I would suggest doing this only if you are comfortable about doing so (you may damage your system if you make a hash of it).

Have you got a few inches of space around the vents and fans, is the pc positioned near for example a radiator that is now switched on or other heat source?

Have you overclocked the system, switch it back to its standard settings if you have.

While it might have killed your power supply. It killed my faith in EA/Bioware. With so many bugs, single player style game play, poor PvP (next to non-world PvP), etc. etc.

I've taking revenge for your power supply. I've cancelled & destroyed the SWTOR CDs. Just gonna wait on GW2 or even dust off my old GW1 discs & start playing it instead of having to deal with this garbage of a game called SWTOR MMO WANNABE.

Today I launched SWTOR and after a few seconds on the splash screen, my computer shut off as if the plug was pulled from the wall (except mobo/lan led's were still on).

My computer has never crashed, so this was very strange. I have been playing SWTOR on this machine for about 3 weeks without any issues. I have left the machine on that entire time except for the occasional reboot. No heat issues.

I put my hand on the power supply and it was the only component which seemed hot at all.

What do you guys think? It is a 450W power supply but it is at least 2 years old.

I am going to go ahead and upgrade to a new 750W but just wanted to see if anyone else ran into this issue.

- also, I turned the PC back on, started up SWTOR, and the same thing happened immediately. I tried one more time to start up the computer - it stayed on for about 5 minutes longer but again shut off completely.

Make sure the fans on your CPU and Videocard are working. Overheating of the cpu or gpu will trigger a shutdown, i had this happening in Rift and it was my videocard fan that was not working.

Overclocking will cause this, just a thought. You might want to reset the BIOS to default and start from there. Like it has been stated, if you are still getting lights on the MB, it could be memory, CPU, GPU, Overheating etc.. you will have to troubleshoot it. Do not assume it is the "software" because everyone else's Power Supply's are holding up so far :)

No coding in any game can "Kill" your hardware. Overheat something, yes, but not a PSU.

It could overheat an improperly cooled GPU or CPU to the point of frying the component. But of course that wouldn't be the games fault.

I have a laptop that over heats under heavy load. The games I played were never heavy enough to crash it though. I would have to compile code or run a stress test. If I ran an external monitor eventually that would cause it to over heat too.

Edited by JerokTalram

What do you guys think? It is a 450W power supply but it is at least 2 years old.

Your psu isnt dead, you just stated that you turned it back on thus not dead, your pc is shutting down as the bios is picking up a serious fault which i would presume to low voltages and shutting your pc down to stop it blowing up. there is a difference, buy a better psu.

If my dog dies while I'm playing SWTOR, the game must have been the cause. :rolleyes:

You bought a bad power supply. Actually, since it lasted over 2 years, it probably surpassed its warranty.

That or he's just running the power supply at too much power. A 450W nominally gives 450Ws but in reality not even a good 450W power supply will truly give you 450W. Also power supplies don't last if run consistantly at full load so you should always allow for some head room. If your system is running at 420W underload, get a 500W.

In your case unless you plan on upgrading video on the machine, just buy a quality 500W from Antec or Corsair.

It could overheat an improperly cooled GPU or CPU to the point of frying the component. But of course that wouldn't be the games fault.

I have a laptop that over heats under heavy load. The games I played were never heavy enough to crash it though. I would have to compile code or run a stress test. If I ran an external monitor eventually that would cause it to over heat too.

"

Originally Posted by lacoffee

No coding in any game can "Kill" your hardware. Overheat something, yes, but not a PSU."

Thanks for the input guys. I knew a headline like that would grab some attention. Haha.

Here is some more info...

I just upgraded the GPU to an ATI Radeon5770 1GB which is PCIe x2 which required the supplemental 6 pin connector (so it is getting hotter in the chassis & (I assume) the PSU due to the output of extra power...) a few days after I purchased the game. Game was almost unplayable prior to upgrade.

My best guesses were also your best guesses, overheating, or PSU. I think my PSU is actually causing a lot more heat than the machine is use to, because it stays very cool usually.

Yes, all the fans work, I dusted recently, it is not sitting next to the fireplace on top of my radiator with an electric blanket over it. Like I said, the only thing that is even warm (except its hot) is the power supply fan air outtake grate.

I am not overclocking.

Obvoiusly one thing changed - the graphics card upgrade, but along with that, it changed power consumption and heat expenditure. I am going to get a 750W PSU and may purchase a new set of fans.

Edited by CoLLaToS

psu's are over looked so much these days, 450w is way to low for a gaming computer, some video cards alone require 500 to 600 watts then you add cpu, and the rest of the componets, psu's is one thing you do not want to skimp on.

Tor did not burn out your psu, sound like age among other things.

"

Originally Posted by lacoffee

No coding in any game can "Kill" your hardware. Overheat something, yes, but not a PSU."

OVERHEATING can kill components and Overheating can kill a power supply. Now with CPUs most shutdown before they fry not sure about gpus. Depending on the setup, the hot air from an overheating CPU or GPU is drawn through the power supply which itself gets pretty hot so it is possible that the power supply could blow because it got too hot. Though I'm sure it's not the OPs case.

It doubt it killed your power supply. but TOR definately killed my desire to play video games at all that is a definate fact.

OP, I have that same card. Power supply upgrade should fix your issue because 450 is wayyyy low for that card. However, keep an eye on the gpu temp. My 5770 runs a good 10 degrees hotter playing SWTOR than other games. Nothing dangerous but that crap bugs me.

Also, the PSU is a 500W, not that it makes that much of a difference. It's early, I am not sure why I thought it was 450W...I think I was looking at the minimum specifications of something and it got stuck in my head. Either way, not much of a difference.

Can you guys recommend some cooling solutions (on the cheaper end of the spectrum)?

Right now I have one 80MM on the rear (standard case fan), one 80MM outtake on the side adjacent to the CPU fan (standard intel), & a 120MM on the side that pulls air out from everything below the graphics card (if you havent seen it, it is about 18 inches long and almost seperates & creates two compartments of air).

The ATI's fan was surprisingly LAME. It is really small, there is only one, and like I said before it has a crazy heat sink but I honestly dont understand why it isnt ontop of the heat instead of over in a part of the case that I dont need it....a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.ascendtech.us/mmASC/Images/HD57000GCJ42top.jpg

Why is the heat sink so far away from the heat??

And more seriously, what kind of cooling could I use on the bottom half of my machine (I could free up the four bottom expansion slots which right now are either unused, open air, or have something that I could live without so I could make room. I have the raid-max drik-tooth case if that helps you visualize.

Anyway - let me know if there is a cheap way to keep this thing cool once I get the proper power supply.