SWTOR Vs WoW: Blizzard gets it

indelible

WOW is a far superior game.

Im even willing to go back to it when they introduce pandas ffs.

I bet I will enjoy it even though I have no love of panda's.

The main reason that BW can not compete with Blizz is Blizz doesnt answer to EA therefore can concentrate on developing the game the way they want it.

And not give us some blatantly rushed game because EA says "It must be ready by this date"

Blizz answers to Activision, which is forcing them to push D3 out even though it is not finished.

Sound familiar?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blizz answers to Activision, which is forcing them to push D3 out even though it is not finished.

Sound familiar?

To true, just look what happened to cata once activision got there claws into bliz.

Edited by Shingara

I looked at some D3 videos and information...

all I can say is... yikes.

Doesn't look any better than D2... which is quite a feat in itself.

You have to remember the fundamentals behind d3, d3 is just a profit earning game by acti/bliz nothing more nothing less, people farm in d3, sell for stuff on wow, sell stuff from wow for profit etc, acti/bliz take a cut from all sales the end.

Sound familiar?

Blizzard does not answer to Activision any more than they did to any of the other parent companies that have been over blizzard.

The problem with WoW, is no one wants to play yet another cutesy tootsy eastern style MMO, which is what WoW is becoming with its cute pets and now Mists of Pandora.

Plus the graphics are so dated.....

I wish the game had never released Cata, and just done something better.

My hope is that Secret World does well, only to change the MMO formula of WoW and instead something different better and new.

So that in the years to come the argument will be "this game is a Secret World Clone" and not the "WoW Clone" debate.

As all MMOs seem to be a clone of WoW in some way shape or form.

Sigh

Blizzard does not answer to Activision any more than they did to any of the other parent companies that have been over blizzard.

What other parent companys exactly. they started as 3 peeps who made the company Silicon & Synapse, they were bought out by Davidson & Associates, they create the company called chaos but had to change there name cos there was someone else called chaos and they became Blizzard Entertainment, the only parent company over blizzard ever is activision.

I looked at some D3 videos and information...

all I can say is... yikes.

Doesn't look any better than D2... which is quite a feat in itself.

d2

http://i1-games.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/6-378_2.jpg

d3

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Iai2jx8SEbo/TzWyhNWxYyI/AAAAAAAADjo/eNo2liFmZGU/s1600/Screenshot033.jpg

Right, looks terrible doesn't it?

Also, the largest problem with diablo 2 is that people hacked/farmed items and sold them on outside websites for money. Shame on blizzard for trying something to try to stop the problem before it starts.

Having played diablo 2 since it's release up to about a year ago, Diablo 3 is an amazing improvement over D2.. it's like going from a Mud to 2012 WoW.

d2

http://i1-games.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/6-378_2.jpg

d3

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Iai2jx8SEbo/TzWyhNWxYyI/AAAAAAAADjo/eNo2liFmZGU/s1600/Screenshot033.jpg

Right, looks terrible doesn't it?

Also, the largest problem with diablo 2 is that people hacked/farmed items and sold them on outside websites for money. Shame on blizzard for trying something to try to stop the problem before it starts.

Having played diablo 2 since it's release up to about a year ago, Diablo 3 is an amazing improvement over D2.. it's like going from a Mud to 2012 WoW.

Maybe I'm wrong, but your screenshots don't really show a major graphical improvement.

Heck, it could be screenshots from the same game.

What other parent companys exactly. they started as 3 peeps who made the company Silicon & Synapse, they were bought out by Davidson & Associates, they create the company called chaos but had to change there name cos there was someone else called chaos and they became Blizzard Entertainment, the only parent company over blizzard ever is activision.

You forget Vendivil

The problem with WoW, is no one wants to play yet another cutesy tootsy eastern style MMO, which is what WoW is becoming with its cute pets and now Mists of Pandora.

Plus the graphics are so dated.....

I wish the game had never released Cata, and just done something better.

My hope is that Secret World does well, only to change the MMO formula of WoW and instead something different better and new.

So that in the years to come the argument will be "this game is a Secret World Clone" and not the "WoW Clone" debate.

As all MMOs seem to be a clone of WoW in some way shape or form.

Sigh

No one? Do not assume all feel the way you do about that. The reason most MMO's copy a lot of WoW things is because of the successs of WoW. :cool:

Maybe I'm wrong, but your screenshots don't really show a major graphical improvement.

Heck, it could be screenshots from the same game.

I donot understand how you can play D2 and then watch the video game play of D3 and say there is no major graphic improvement.

they are blizzard, and its Vivendi

Nope, Vivendi was the parent company. As much as we like to think of Bliz as this all conquering beast they've actually been in the pocket of a parent company since the mid 90's.

The advantage they've almost always had though is that they've been owned by companies that don't understand the games industry so they've been left to their own devices, mostly.

That'll probably change now they're under Activision, in the same way it's possibly changed for BioWare being in the EA fold.

they are blizzard, and its Vivendi

"In 1994 the company became Blizzard Entertainment Inc before being acquired by distributor Davidson & Associates and later by Vivendi."

"Activision, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI) is the American holding company for Activision and Blizzard Entertainment. The company is majority owned by French conglomerate Vivendi SA and was created through the merger of Activision and Vivendi Games"

"Vivendi Games, formerly known as Vivendi Universal Games, was the holdings company for Sierra Entertainment and Blizzard Entertainment."

Vivendi is still the parent company, Activision-Blizzard is the Holding company for Activision and Blizzard entertainment, which is two separate companies.

A holding company is a company or firm that owns other companies' outstanding stock. Holding companies allow the reduction of risk for the owners and can allow the ownership and control of a number of different companies.

If you want to get technical about it.

Nope, Vivendi was the parent company. As much as we like to think of Bliz as this all conquering beast they've actually been in the pocket of a parent company since the mid 90's.

The advantage they've almost always had though is that they've been owned by companies that don't understand the games industry so they've been left to their own devices, mostly.

That'll probably change now they're under Activision, in the same way it's possibly changed for BioWare being in the EA fold.

No, vivendi bought Davidson & Associates and is the Holding company, vivendi are blizzard. Blizzard was a department of them.

edit, this goes to the post above too.

Edited by Shingara

No, vivendi bought Davidson & Associates and is the Holding company, vivendi are blizzard. Blizzard was a department of them.

edit, this goes to the post above too.

I see your line of thought, you've got it the wrong way round though. Blizzard are Vivendi, not the other way around. Vivendi dwarfs ActiBliz, dwarfs both of them combined.

In the same way Opel/Vauxhall are GM.

Bioware have admitted dumbing down this game just to get it released in the pc zone interview.

And Blizzard admitted to a loss in subs due to SWTOR.

What they won't admit is they are releasing D3, and probably MoP early due to pressure from Activision.

And while we're on the Blizzard topic.

How many times have they lied to us?

Abysal?

How many times have they just rehashed content to death...EVEN IN MoP!

How many new titles have they created in the past 5 years? I say new, not sequels.

Blizzard is not the company they once were. They don't care about making games anymore, only about eating diamonds for breakfast.

You got to be a real close-minded, hardcore Fanboy not to see what EA has done to Bioware.

I mean, what the hell anyway?

How do you become a fanboy for a gaming company? I used to love Bioware games (BG, Jade, KOTOR, NWN, ME1) and supported them because of it, and they were a Canadian company. I knew I'd love their games.

Then EA enters the picture. From ME2 on, you could feel the shift. You could sense the depth of their stories drying up.

ME2 was a terrible sequel(ME1) and a horrible prequel (ME3). The story was absolute dog-****, and meant nothing, absolutely nothing in the end. It was a filler game, that served to make Humans the special ones. Horrible.

ME3's big problem is centred around that garbage ending. However, there is so much more wrong with that game from game-play (Those Side-Missions were horrid), to the over-all story, just ugh. The changes made to this trilogy effectively buried it.

Then we have SWTOR and again, just bad, dumbed down content.

I hope EA doesn't get their greedy little hands on CDPRojectRed or Rocksteady.

Back on topic time me thinks, its not a case anymore with an mmo for what it releases with though is it, its what they do with it once it is released dont you think and we cant get a real judge of how the game will be developed until the 6/7 month marker.

If the developers dont put in development within that time you can bet they wont be doing alot of developing at a fast pace there after beyond expantions, but as wow did and rift etc they are throwing all there weight behind adding content and developing content for the game.

So seriously what does it matter that it didnt release with some of the so called standards of the genre which for me to be standards have to be in the core design and not add ons tobe standard if they are adding things so fast right now and developing so well.

It may not be to everyones tastes of what is being developed 1st but they are developing what everyone wants so far within the patches upto 1.5.

Edited by Shingara

You got to be a real close-minded, hardcore Fanboy not to see what EA has done to Bioware.

I mean, what the hell anyway?

How do you become a fanboy for a gaming company? I used to love Bioware games (BG, Jade, KOTOR, NWN, ME1) and supported them because of it, and they were a Canadian company. I knew I'd love their games.

Then EA enters the picture. From ME2 on, you could feel the shift. You could sense the depth of their stories drying up.

ME2 was a terrible sequel(ME1) and a horrible prequel (ME3). The story was absolute dog-****, and meant nothing, absolutely nothing in the end. It was a filler game, that served to make Humans the special ones. Horrible.

ME3's big problem is centred around that garbage ending. However, there is so much more wrong with that game from game-play (Those Side-Missions were horrid), to the over-all story, just ugh. The changes made to this trilogy effectively buried it.

Then we have SWTOR and again, just bad, dumbed down content.

I hope EA doesn't get their greedy little hands on CDPRojectRed or Rocksteady.

I disagree about ME2 being a bad sequel to ME1. I played ME1 to the end...enjoyed it a lot and then played ME2 all the way thru...twice. Enjoyed it immensely. I also played DA and enjoyed it a lot also and had over 90+ hrs of game play in it. I was hesitate to buy DA2 from the previews of it and my feelings were right after I saw the review for it later. Glad I didnot waste my money on it. Now I am also waiting before I buy ME3 and what I been hearing about it..is making me hold off for a while.

The other thing too, is that you can look at other games that EA has gotten their hands in to and watched their destruction also.

EA should have just stuck with sports games, no one could deny that they were not the best at those.