StephenReid

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

COPY AND PASTE!

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

Quote:

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

#fail

haha! u can call it what u want.. they call it waves of invites, i call it.......

no wait, i wont get banned on this post :D

Thanks for the further explanation of the why, I have never had issues with that and thoroughly understand the reasoning. I hope things do pick up starting tomorrow, my main concern is that this drags out too long. I have to wonder what provisions you've made for all these guilds that are sitting on already full servers and 90 percent of the guild isn't even in the game yet. Hopefully you have the limits set low and these servers really aren't "FULL". If not, then I really don't understand why you bothered with placing guilds on servers in the first place.

There has to be a happy medium, and it really seems that dragging this over more than a couple of days (and I mean two to three at the most) is counterproductive to what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm taking a wait and see attitude at this point, if tomorrow seems to be moving along better then it's all good. If it moves at the same slow pace as today then it will renew my skepticism regarding a "smooth launch".

And folks, I really am tired of people saying this isn't the launch because in essence it is the launch. Call it early access if you want, but it's the launch of the game plain and simple...it is just disguised under another name :)

For me, MMOs are about doing stuff before other people, like levelling up to lvl 50 and then pwning noobs in pvp, or strolling round in epics whilst other people are in blues. Nobody remembers or cares about the guy who levelled last, or killed the boss 2 months after release, or brags about tier 3 gear when tier 5 is out. And by implementing this system as you are, you are hindering all the players who didnt preorder the game the hour it was availiable, this wasnt stated in the terms that is was first come, earliest play! id rather you wait a week a let everyone play at the same time, its part of the fun and the hype when 17 people are waiting to tag the same mob for a quest, and the people who do not want to stand there and wait can play farmville or something, idc. At the end of the day, you have completely destroyed an aspect of the game that is the most enjoyable and holds the most enjoyment by picking and choosing players who can play DAYS before others.

What are you thinking?

And its such a good game...

so what your saying is....

as you Joined May 2011, and i Joined Nov 2009. your a noob and i pwnd you hard? :D

I've got the same and more credentials than you have, and I literally believe the opposite. This is the single MOST successful first day I've seen from an MMO ever.

Time will tell how things shape up on the 20th (because we're AHEAD OF SCHEDULE right now)...but so far, this is CRAZY SMOOTH sailing compared to each of the 8 AAA MMO titles I've personally been involved in on day 1.

Anyone that can complain about this process either

a> is nuts,

b> is so self absorbed they cannot see beyond their own desire to play NOW NOW NOW and/or

c> has NEVER been involved in a large scale IT project in the real world.

I'd like you to name the 6 other MMOs that on launch day (please note we're 7 days AHEAD or launch day) didn't have

a> several hour long queues,

b> server crashes, and/or

c> servers being brought down within the first 24 hours to hotfix a critical error.

If you can name 6 and they're not mostly VERY small titles I'd be shocked. Because there just haven't been 6 without one or more of those issues.

^this

I swear these whiner's remind me of the people I deal with every day. I work for the phone company and I deal with people who think that if they throw a big enough tantrum they can make someone dance to their tune. "Well we're just going to cancel the service..." "Well I just won't pay this bill"...."I'm writing the paper"...seriously I can't tell you how many times I've run into this...these people aren't even that mad, they're just hoping they can 'scare' someone into giving them their freakin pacifier!

Thing your missing is you lost a lot of customers today i'm sure. Im only following this thread because I'm at work for another 45 minutes and it's patch day.

I'm not going to compete with other players for names and gear a week after early launch. I didn't lose a name or two because I didn't sign on, I lost them because I wasn't permitted to sign on before others.

I planned to play on a PVP server so let me tell you how eager I am to know that half the server population will out level me by a massive margine the first day I log in, oh how I would love to get PK'd at level 6 by a level 30 ONLY because he got in early then I. I'm sure you guys didn't think of that one.

This has been the worst launch ever, even compared to games that had congestion on day one, the players were happy just to set up access and create their characters while servers are ironed out. Considering you just stated you had more pre-orders then most games get orders, you should have done your work and prepared for that.

The logic here is unbelievably flawed, or selfish, I am not quite sure which.

You want to get in early so people do not out level you while you out level those who join on the actual launch date?

Huh? That makes it fair because?

There is no way to do any sort of EGA that means eveyone on a PVP server is the same level.

Once again, the way EA is handling SWTOR is reminding me very badly of how EA tubed Earth & Beyond with crappy customer service. My whole pre-ordering/beta/early access, etc. process has just been one problem to the next. RIFT lasted less than a month with me; I am starting to wonder if SWTOR will beat it.

Originally Posted by _DarkGoku_

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!!

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

Agree

Wasn't the purpose of your massive beta invite to crash and test your servers? I still don't understand with all the planning and preparation you are still doing diagnostic scans and tests on a game that should be live.

If the "head start" was going to be a post beta test i wouldn't have pre-ordered and just joined with the masses.

BET: when the game officially launches we will still have queue times.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!! EVERYONE STOP AND READ THIS!!!! Everyone should go back and read the second post of the thread!!! I know that some people are stupid and they piss you off with their overreaction to this event. But that is no excuse to go around insulting them. I realize everyone is disappointed and/or frustrated. But then again many of you are making good use of being able to talk with EVERYONE at the same time and they look at the brighter side of things and are just having fun. Myself included. I posted my frustration but still made sure that everyone knew that I am still stoked and have no hard feelings against BW/EA. Please people. If someone's post bothers you either flag it, or just ignore it and move on to something more positive!!! Let's all just make good use of the waiting time. Read up on the classes again watch some videos, write a story for cryin out loud just do something positive that will get you even MORE stoked and excited for the game!!!