People staying logged on even when AFK.

Orangerascal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Bioware,

Part of the reasons that the queue's are not moving are because people are not logging out due to macros, or the old pen in the keyboard trick.

Pen in the keyboard huh ? Thanks i never even thought of this, No way am I waiting in another 35 minute queue tonite when i take a break to eat. If anyone on Iron citadel see's a fat Twilek running into a wall , don't worry its just me chowing down on some hot wings with the ole pen in the keyboard trick. Thanks! :D

Sorry guys, but booting the maybe 20-30 people who are on a server doing that sort of thing at any given time isn't going to help with the queues.

I kind of want them to open new servers and kind of don't. I'd rather have servers overcrowded at release and then settle into a nice, healthy population when people stop playing as much, than have servers be accessible at release and then feel empty 3 months after launch.

So if you need to take your dog out. Or.... you want to run to the store that's 5 min away to get something.. You should be penalized?

You can stand still longer than 5 minutes without getting booted out. I'm pretty sure they're talking about the guys that trick the system into thinking they are online so that they can remain afk for 30 minutes or an hour or longer.

Edited by TiiRahnedancer

I'd rather have servers overcrowded at release and then settle into a nice, healthy population when people stop playing as much, than have servers be accessible at release and then feel empty 3 months after launch.

THIS. The queue times are fine. You'll regret it later if they just open servers wholesale.

Rift had the same issues at launch with people auto-running into walls or otherwise staying logged in while afk to avoid the queues. Trion took care of it as I recall so hopefully Bioware will do the same cause it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Sorry, but yeah, i doubt the queues will get go down because of the wall runners - but who knows, i don't got stats on how many that would be.

It's kinda annoying if you have something to do around the house for just a bit and bam, kicked out and hello 1 hour queue+

Quickly adding more servers will cause a worse problem down the road... I wish people understood this

^^

Give it two weeks and everyone will get it out of their system and quit putting off life to play and the queues will vanish on their own. Right now its new and everyone is putting off their wife, kids, girlfriend, boyfriend, work, school, weekend parties, eating out, painting the house, woohoo, grocery trips, laundry, exercising, cooking something other than instant noodles, visiting mom, watching television, other games, etc.

Adding servers during a new game peak period is the worst suggestion ever because in two weeks there will be twice as many servers as there needs to be.

Edited by Twolow

I do not know. I'd imagine some code that detects if a person has been running against a wall for 3 hours or jumping in place for 3 hours, etc....

I suspect it takes in to account several factors; probably looking at whether you've actually moved more than a specified amount, whether you're actively doing things (like fighting, talking to NPCs, etc.) Possibly other things. And I doubt they're actually going to tell anyone, it makes it just a little harder for people to get around (although only a bit).

I do not know. I'd imagine some code that detects if a person has been running against a wall for 3 hours or jumping in place for 3 hours, etc....

Relatively easy to do, a routine to track key what key(s) was/is last pressed and how many times pressed in a given amount of time and also track if character location has changed. Yes, this would be a type of keylogger and may run afoul of a users AV suite and would be an expansion of what is in game right now.

You have made a good point. But that afker is paying $15 a month, if that's the way he wants to spend it, well it's his money. On the other hand I hate Queues. I always try to log off if I am going to be gone more than 15 minutes. Its a tough line to cross. What should the cutoff be?

Yeah I was at the fleet crafting over and over and over, and there was this guy standing next to me that would just jump, every 60 seconds ( timed it a couple of times, he would jump right at 60 seconds )

1 min on the dot

Before people complain to Bioware about queues, you need to complain about these people that are a big part of the problem.

Relatively easy to do, a routine to track key what key(s) was/is last pressed and how many times pressed in a given amount of time and also track if character location has changed. Yes, this would be a type of keylogger and may run afoul of a users AV suite and would be an expansion of what is in game right now.

You cant check keypresses without installing a keylogger on the host machine.

Ok so I have a 2 year old, he is a very energetic little guy, I usually play games and do a lot of crafting. So I am doing that now, I will start a mission and chat with someone or sit and read general. Half the time I am chasing my son, until he gets distracted by something. When you have a mission that takes 30 min and all your doing is sitting there on a slow computer that has everything turned down to the bottom and still have trouble moving. I am crafting, I have done this in many games, start a craft, do something else, start another craft do something else. This is not against the rules, and is how I enjoy things, general chat can get a little silly, even if I do not talk in it, I sit there and read it. So I am not really AFK, but I am not as active as everyone else. Even so as I am clicking on things and sending my companion out into the world, opening windows and what not, I still get the "You have been idle for too long logging you out now" I just jump and get rid of the message. But I am sitting there and clicking on items in my inventory and moving things around and reverse engineering, and I still get the message. So you have to be working hard to keep yourself logged in.

Ok so I have a 2 year old, he is a very energetic little guy, I usually play games and do a lot of crafting. So I am doing that now, I will start a mission and chat with someone or sit and read general. Half the time I am chasing my son, until he gets distracted by something. When you have a mission that takes 30 min and all your doing is sitting there on a slow computer that has everything turned down to the bottom and still have trouble moving. I am crafting, I have done this in many games, start a craft, do something else, start another craft do something else. This is not against the rules, and is how I enjoy things, general chat can get a little silly, even if I do not talk in it, I sit there and read it. So I am not really AFK, but I am not as active as everyone else. Even so as I am clicking on things and sending my companion out into the world, opening windows and what not, I still get the "You have been idle for too long logging you out now" I just jump and get rid of the message. But I am sitting there and clicking on items in my inventory and moving things around and reverse engineering, and I still get the message. So you have to be working hard to keep yourself logged in.

Its your money. I say you should and can play as you want. Its a thin line on how to handle people that play as you and true afk'ers. Its a different game now that we are now subscribers. I really don't feel comfortable telling another subscriber how to play their game.

I don't want to requeue for 6 hours after having to cook dinner for my family and eat with them.

So I'll devise anything I can to stay logged in despite not playing, and I frankly don't care about anybody else not being able to play. I won't deprive myself of something I paid for, because someone else paid for the same thing. Someone else I do not know.

Nah, as long as these absolutely massive queues exist, I'll gladly be a self-centered bastard. I pay to play. It's like giving away your seat at a theater because you have to go to the bathroom.

If there is ONE person here who thinks:

"1pm, time to cook dinner for the kids, eat with them and do the dishes. I'll gladly log out and enter the 6hour queue so others can play. I don't know these guys, but boy o boy: I'm so happy I can forget about playing for the rest of the day so these guys can have some fun".

Get out of here. The queues are the problem, and people not logging out is not the cause of it. It's an effect of the queues.

I'm a nice guy when ingame, I can be altruistic when ingame. But when it comes to being able to play, It's all about me.

Edited by Dekadez