Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So I am assuming 1.2 releases tomorrow?

Majestic_Jazz

I'm getting really annoyed with the constant downtime that isn't weekly maintenance. Midnight on a friday is the middle of my gaming session, so thanks a lot!

ummm... 4 hours on a Friday is hardly "constant". Yeah, they had regular Tuesday maintenance, followed by two days with no maintenance followed by an unscheduled maintenance on Friday. Sorry, that does not meet the definition of "constant".

Off line for maintenance 7/24 for days at a time...... that would be constant.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The foil hat would have prevented BioWare from mind controlling you into making your post.

But yes, it was a jab at Datku.

No one is mind controling me, I made a point that the 1.2 patch is not ready, anyone on the PTS can tell you that.

Edited by System_TOR

If you mean Datku then yeah.

Its not a conspiracy theory. Its a smart business model. As negative as this community is there is no way to make everyone happy. Any change is going to ignite additional negativity be it such and such nerf has destroyed such and such class to not enough being done to address concerns. Any large change is going to trigger out cries and upset people. If a major change is done prior to a billing cycle it can and will effect the bottom line. Wait till after a billing cycle and even if players are upset their money is already committed to sustain development through the next cycle or major update.

1.2 will not be released in the upcoming maintenance, but you can hop onto the Public Test Server to check it out! We'll be releasing updates to PTS as we prepare to move 1.2 to live servers, and we'll let you know when 1.2 will be live as soon as we can.

Yes, PLEASE give us a couple days notice so we can get all our battlemaster and rakata mods swapped out since the only opportunity to get them updated is during that maintenance. Do not spring this patch unannounced!

Yes, PLEASE give us a couple days notice so we can get all our battlemaster and rakata mods swapped out since the only opportunity to get them updated is during that maintenance. Do not spring this patch unannounced!

What would be the point of that? Pulling the mods that is?

Edited by Ruuprect

Rakata has been undergoing changes in 1.2.

If you have the original mods in the items they will get updated to the new version.

Ah ty

Edit: it was my understanding that this is not the case for pvp gear though.

Edited by Ruuprect

Ah ty

Edit: it was my understanding that this is not the case for pvp gear though.

They'd better be updating the BM stuff. new BM gear has ~100 expertise per item as opposed to 50.

If they dont retroactively update those pieces a LOT of people will be very angry.

edit: They are not updating champion gear - that may be what you're thinking of.

Edited by DarthPierce

They'd better be updating the BM stuff. new BM gear has ~100 expertise per item as opposed to 50.

If they dont retroactively update those pieces a LOT of people will be very angry.

I saw a quote from the dev tracker that says pvp gear will not be updated to reflect the changes in 1.2, i will see if I can find it.

If they're going to shut down the Oceanic realms from 6pm till 10pm on a Friday night, it bloody well better be 1.2

Although I doubt it.

Seriously Bioware, your one size fits all crap is.. well.. crap.

You've got the server hours, I don't, but I'd be happy enough betting that 6pm-10pm on Friday night is the peak hour for the entire week.

"We take into account the larger population bases" is one thing, but the bloody servers should be burning down before you run a shutdown during any region's weekly prime-times.

Edited by Lakhesis

1.2 will not be released in the upcoming maintenance, but you can hop onto the Public Test Server to check it out! We'll be releasing updates to PTS as we prepare to move 1.2 to live servers, and we'll let you know when 1.2 will be live as soon as we can.

Please make sure future Maintenance/Patch notices actually state the patch number if it's applicable.

It's been like this the entire time, always with the "there may be a patch to download" copy & paste line instead of actually including the line "Patch to be implemented: 1.1.5.a".

Such as,

Upcoming Patch

Date: Friday, March 23rd, 2012

Patch: 1.1.5.b

Time: 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/7AM GMT/8AM CET/6PM AEDT) to 6AM CDT (4AM PDT/7AM EDT/11AM GMT/12PM CET/10PM AEDT)

All game servers will be offline during this period. This deployment is expected to take no more than four hours.

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

If there isn't a patch, simply post there is no patch in this week's update.

This is part of community communication, it's one thing early Aion failed to do properly and it cost them dearly. Don't continue this blind trend of NOT reporting what you're doing, tell people, and update the notices if things change, we do look, but if you hide things we will get upset. Better to tell us and update as needed than to ignore it altogether, the community communication for this game has never been that great or clear.

Keeping the community in the dark is never a good idea, and worse if you persist without making improvements or acknowledgement.

It's a few extra words per copy&paste, do apply that effort and take community communication seriously.

It's far better in the long run, if you manage to reach that long.

No one is mind controling me, I made a point that the 1.2 patch is not ready, anyone on the PTS can tell you that.

You misunderstand me. I agree with you. By taking the idea of a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist literally one can assume they would dismiss your logic as mind control. That was my joke, sorry it wasn't clear.

It's pretty clear that they are doing a patch this Friday (just like last Friday) in preparation for the free weekend. They will also do another patch on Tuesday to reverse whatever it is they put in to allow the free weekend.

No matter what time they do a patch it will be in somebody's prime time, so they really can't win.

No matter what time they do a patch it will be in somebody's prime time, so they really can't win.

Tuesday prime time is one thing.

Friday prime time is inconsiderate to the point of being actively antagonistic.

The fact it's twice a week is a further twist.

Edited by Lakhesis

I'm getting really annoyed with the constant downtime that isn't weekly maintenance. Midnight on a friday is the middle of my gaming session, so thanks a lot!

I agree. This patch makes me really mad. I have a full time job and a young family. I get very little time to play as it is, usually get a couple of hours after kids are in bed, before I have to go to bed for work the next day.

Guess what - the servers go down right on my kids bedtime.

Twice this week.

Thanks BW. Seriously considering dropping SW:TOR and just playing SC2 until D3 release.

Edited by Senteint
typo

I just logged into my game and I noticed a warning that servers will be shut down for 4 hours tomorrow.

I am assuming that this is 1.2?

Its not April yet, plus it'd be down right risking some serious problems to release a Update as big as 1.2 on a Friday.

Edited by Kindara

Really? Pretty basic software engineering to work out a way to patch different servers at different times. Just another case of small minded Americans thinking that nothing much exists outside USA.

I like hearing you guys QQ, really I do. Being a second shifter in the US (5pm until 2am) I experience the exact same thing you do, am I complaining? No. You assume that all Americans work a 9-5 and we all know what assume stands for.... Since I'm not on the same cookie-cutter schedule as other people, does that give me the right to complain as well guys?

BTW, welcome to every other MMO that I've played since WoW. Same downtime as every single one of them (WoW, Rift and Warhammer Online for a bit).

Edited by pokher

Fair to ask what is going to be patched tomorrow.

Now for US players not a big deal but for EU and Aus players it can be annoying to have these 4 hour windows or more as was the case on Tuesday where the servers are down. So it must be pretty urgent to come down on a Friday. And here to hell I hope its not to get it ready for more weekend passes, cause as it stands BW treat people that can't be bothered to buy the game far better than people that are paying.

As for if it is going to be Patch 1.2 that seems reasonable. The Patch has been in production for a long time and Bioware hired gamers in the Austin Area for internal testing so it shouldn't be released to the PTS with tons of bugs. But also 1.2 seems to change the very face of the game and add many needed and requested elements to the game. As such Bioware would be wise to roll it out before they roll out the weekend pass, much better to have the servers filled with people checking out the new content rather than empty and waiting on the patch.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.