Is it really necessary.....

Gstring

...to have to put the security number in to log in every single time.

I am all for security but couldn't you do it if there is suspicious activity like trying to log in from another country or ip address?

You knew what you signed up for when you did, right? No one forced you to get a sec key generator.

Meh, it's difficult to find a balance between security and convenience. Personally I don't mind the system as atleast I know that my account isn't going to get stolen.

Yea, it sucks. My iPod malfunctioned, and it was damn near impossible for me to get my account to work, had to cancel my subscription, and buy an entire new game.

That seems like overkill, as asked before didn't you try to call support?

Meh, it's difficult to find a balance between security and convenience. Personally I don't mind the system as atleast I know that my account isn't going to get stolen.

You also knew what you were signing up for when you tied a security key to your account.

I don't understand why people volunteer to do stuff, then randomly fuss about crap they were never required to do in the first place.

To be totally honest, I couldnt care less if my account was hacked as you always get it back.

The real reason I had to take the security app was I was far too nosey and the vendor was killing me not knowing what he had lol!

Yep true but if other games can do it so it is just as effective but more convenient, so can BW!

You do realize that it also prevents people from stealing your account if your computer is compromised. If someone is in your computer, they can log everything you do and then hijack your account. With the sec-key generator, it would be tougher. They'd have to log probably hundreds if not thousands of times you logged in to figure out the algorithm tied to your security key to hijack your account.

You do realize that it also prevents people from stealing your account if your computer is compromised. If someone is in your computer, they can log everything you do and then hijack your account. With the sec-key generator, it would be tougher. They'd have to log probably hundreds if not thousands of times you logged in to figure out the algorithm tied to your security key to hijack your account.

I just don't think that folks are breaking into houses and stealing PCs to get into TOR accounts.

Yea, it sucks. My iPod malfunctioned, and it was damn near impossible for me to get my account to work, had to cancel my subscription, and buy an entire new game.

I flashed my phone and the security key was no longer synched. A five minute call to customer support had the security key off my account.

I just don't think that folks are breaking into houses and stealing PCs to get into TOR accounts.

Seriously? I don't believe I was referring to actual theft of the computer. I don't even think I hinted that your computer would get stolen. I wrote compromised. My idea was that a hacker was inside your computer and monitoring what you were doing. I even explained they'd have to log your login entries...

...to have to put the security number in to log in every single time.

I am all for security but couldn't you do it if there is suspicious activity like trying to log in from another country or ip address?

Takes 5 seconds. You opted to apply a security key to your account. No one forced you to.

I really don't get it. I really don't.

However, people are hacking through keyloggers, and email spoofing. WoW was rampant with it and victims put security keys on their accounts and no longer had issues.

So far, I've seen little evidence of problems with this game, which is a good thing.

However, people are hacking through keyloggers, and email spoofing. WoW was rampant with it and victims put security keys on their accounts and no longer had issues.

So far, I've seen little evidence of problems with this game, which is a good thing.

WoW security app doesn't ask for it every6 single occasion, it only springs into action if your account is trying to log on from somewhere other than your home!

WoW security app doesn't ask for it every6 single occasion, it only springs into action if your account is trying to log on from somewhere other than your home!

And that is a horrible way to implement account security. There has been a seemingly endless stream of requests for Blizzard to either remove that function or give players the ability to turn it off because it lowered the security value of the entire system.

And that is a horrible way to implement account security. There has been a seemingly endless stream of requests for Blizzard to either remove that function or give players the ability to turn it off because it lowered the security value of the entire system.

Hmm really?

My account has been fine since I used it and every time I have logged on a different PC it kicks in.

What kills me... is one day at work, randomly, the forums promted me for one of my security questions... Not sure why...

I was in the middle of brain farting or something.... and read the question "what is the name", instead of "what is the last name".

So I answered like 6 times with the full name... never getting in, so I closed the web brower down and said Hell with it...

When I got home, the game promted me the same security question. Then I saw "*******! Just the last name!".

So I answered the question correctly and entered in without trouble.

------

That was TWO WEEKS AGO.

Since then, ever single time I enter the game it asks me a security question.. EVERY TIME!

Shesh... this company stinks at computer authentiction... STINKS.

Even my local "BANK" knows how to authenticate "my computer" for use on their systems... and only have to do it ONE TIME. :rolleyes:

Edited by FooBard

Which is why I purchased an authenticator, which adds an additional "always on" RNG layer of protection from someone trying to hack your account. Edited by GalacticKegger