Feedback request from James Ohlen: PvP

StephenReid

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could make one change to PVP in SWTOR, what would you want it to be?

I'll have to join the chorus of voices asking for:

(edit: was originally good open-world PvP)

Thorough banning of the obvious cheaters who never take damage, always are immune against everything, always can stun others, and always have their CC breakers up.

Before that, other changes need not apply.

Think DAoC relic raids, and read the GW2 marketing material; then add WAR accessibility. The Star Wars universe is supposed to have millions of worlds, so entire planets could change hands, but even just the building canyons on Nar Shadaa would make for good areas! Not having such a thing in a Star Wars setting is a complete and utter waste of the license.

That element ranks about equally high on my list as real social, i.e., non-combat content.

Edited by Laurreth
Fix the cheats, screw PvP.

1: Remove the resolve system. ( It's not fun and the way the game is now pvp is more like Stun Wars than Star Wars) Add a 30-45 second cooldown after your stunned that you can't be stunned or CCed again.

2: A 3rd Faction would really change things up and fix some of the imbalance options.

3: More open world pvp. This game will not survive with just Warzones. Look at DOAC and Warhammer and use the fun stuff. People loved the guild controlled bases in Warhammer.

4: Make quest and daily quest for new planets in the same area for both factions. It's seems Bioware took extra care to keep the quest areas all seperate.. I know this isn't an hardcore pvp game but it isn't carebears online either. You have to find a balance and right now your taking every precaution to cater to the making sure factions are seperate.

5: Open space PVP.. Look at JTL and Eve I think you could add a whole new mmo game within this one and players would be stoked.

I think the people who actually work to get higher valor should be rewarded with some better gear.

Maybe once you hit a certian valor you can buy BM gear with a augment slot. Same goes for WM gear as well.

PVP Aguments would add a little boost but not to much and give a reward for peoples hard work.

When people in my guild saw the change to pvp gear they all said so all my hard work was for nothing uhh GREAT!!!

Balance Tank/Healer combo. Right now warzones are dominated by nothing but tanks and healers because can't burn through guard/taunts.

Its baffles me why bioware is buffing tanks even more in 1.2 when they're so broken right now

This is by far my biggest worry for rated warzones is that 4 tank/4 healer teams are going to be insanely annoying(or something equally as annoying).

I think the people who actually work to get higher valor should be rewarded with some better gear.

Maybe once you hit a certian valor you can buy BM gear with a augment slot. Same goes for WM gear as well.

PVP Aguments would add a little boost but not to much and give a reward for peoples hard work.

When people in my guild saw the change to pvp gear they all said so all my hard work was for nothing uhh GREAT!!!

I was just thinking this same thing. A minor stat increase. Or even different color. Or something.

The hours I put into Valor seems worthless now

Prevent Warzones from starting with less than 7 players. Starting a game with 6 v 8 is almost pointless, starting with 4 v 8 (yes, I've experienced that) is beyond absurd. Delay the start of a Warzone until both sides are full (or at least have 7 if requiring 8 is to much) so that matches are more competitive and fun.

Macros with modifier-key conditionals. The equivalent in another prominent MMO is as follows:

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt] Force Lightning; [mod:shift]Electrocute; Shock

This basically creates a button that would do Force Lightning if I was holding ALT, Electrocute if I was holding Shift, and Shock if I was holding neither. The #showtooltip part means that it shows the icon and tooltip of the appropriate ability, based on which conditions were met.

In PvP, pretty nearly every ability available to a character is situationally useful in some way. However, including abilities that are generally only useful to other specs (particularly in PvE) results in more abilities than there is barspace; and adding more bars is a very ugly solution.

Edited by Rogirek

- Better matching. Dont end up with 5 healers in one side and none in the other. Come up with a solution to distribute classes/specs evenly to both teams, if possible.

- Remove force pulls/charges on/off the ball handler or any other warzone where these might prove advantegous.

- A working resolve bar could prove useful for a chance.

- And of course I welcome any balances made to melee classes, specially Marauder.

Cheers!

I think travel and incentive are the biggest things affecting world PvP right now.

I am going to bring up WoW. There, if I was in a certain zone and I heard about PvP going on somewhere, it was a simple matter of finding the nearest flight master and going to the zone. If I was in STV and I hear that PvP is happening in Feralas, its only a couple steps to get there. Here, it is find the taxi, go to the spaceport, go through all the loading screens, select the planet, fly there, get another taxi and all that. People simply might think that's too much of a hassle.

My solution would be maybe via rep, or some quest or something, allow us to earn quick travel passes to every planet's spaceport. Put them on an hour-2 hour cooldown or whatever. But allow us to get to the destinations quicker.

But, we also need incentives. You may say that PvP needs no reason, but nowadays everything does. On a PvP server, I see way too many instances of republic and empire just ignoring each other. Cause there is no point to killing each other out in the open. Allow us to get valour, commendations etc. out in the open world too.

And lastly, create more opportunities for PvP. Maybe add new areas to each planet with daily quests that both factions share. Right now, its rare to see the other faction out in the open. Create more opportunities for both sides to run into each other.

Similar to what is in Warhammer, I would love for PvP "lakes" on each planet, most especially to add some open world PvP dynamics for PvE servers. Some of the best open world PvP I've experienced in my MMO gaming has been on a core server in WAR, hunting other players down in the PvP lakes.

However, this change might not be possible without changing a lot of the layout of the planets, so my second most wanted change in PvP is the complete removal of the Expertise stat. PvP stats are a very bad move, and only promote grinding gameplay where gear overshadows skill. People will sit there and worry more about gaining medals in Warzones (to get the end result of more valor and better PvP gear) instead of actually trying to win the match.

This -- take a page from what Warhammer did right, viable pvp progression from lvl 1 in bolstered RVR lakes.

The layout of the planets would not be such a big issue -- just add another taxi route to an rvr lake...

I would add a planetary control system where kills would add/subtract to a tug of war system or objectives placed on each contested planet could be captured.

Each objective could have some sort of buff or fluff to it where holding it longer would unlock further tiers or grades of the buff/fluff.

Maybe if you held the base your faction NPCs would patrol the planet.

You can begin by making up your mind over what exactly the Operative/Scoundrel is supposed to be? As it stands, you've persistently worked against players who have adapted to your seemingly nonsensical changes to the class.

What are we supposed to be? You obviously feel we shouldn't hold a candle to force users, which while may be appropriate lore wise, is completely inappropriate when everyone can play force users, and if everyone is going to play a Jedi or Sith... why even have Operatives in the game?

Your Operative changes in 1.2 aren't welcome, and frankly we'd like some clarification on why you're doing it. Don't even quote metrics to me, I've played the class pre 1.1.1 from level 1 to 50, and know it like the back of my hand. I know what my Operative was capable of pre 1.1.1, what she can do now, and am very confident knowing what will happen if you make those changes in 1.2.

Just because we're an underplayed class doesn't mean we're not passionate about it. If you want us to play healers then just come out and say it, because in PvP Lethality is gimped, and you're making sure Concealment is about as useful in PvE as Lethality is in PvP.

My suggestion? Stop balancing class specs, and start thinking about balance between classes themselves.

Edited by TheGreatNeechi

Well heres the problem with that gabe in that last interview stated "oh people heard mythic and assumed rvr" Well uh yeah.... The problem seems to be thier not open to the idea or my view they flat out dont want to to do that b/c in thier minds wz's are the real deal. Im going to be real surprised if they do any of this they seem very naive and they worry way to much about faction imbalance but wont adress the issue directly. Open world is unmanaged/uncontrollable fights and they like to be control frieks....

This -- take a page from what Warhammer did right, viable pvp progression from lvl 1 in bolstered RVR lakes.

The layout of the planets would not be such a big issue -- just add another taxi route to an rvr lake...

The one change that will truly impact PvP at a whole:

Implement World PvP on every planet

P.S.: Then later on you want to add a 3rd faction in the equation for true RvR and to get rid of population balance. BTW no need to have storyline in this faction it could be unlocked with legacy at level 50.

Edited by Deewe

Remove Expertise.

PvP should be about skill and not gear grind. If there is going to be a gear grind, make it so it is cosmetic only or make the grind for unlocking new abilities to change the aspect of combat. Beating another player should never be about who has the better stats from gear.

This mechanic needs to stop in PvP.

If you could make one change to PVP in SWTOR, what would you want it to be?

If I could make any one change to PVP in SWTOR it would be to reduce the CC in PVP. Sometimes I feel like I am being CC'ed constantly and I'll be honest it isn't fun to feel that way. Personally I'd make resolve not only stop further CC's but also break any CC's that are on you when it fills up. It honestly feels like I can't even use my CC break unless I am at full resolve because I'll just be CC'ed again and many times when I can use my CC break and my resolve is full I'm so low on health it won't really matter.

There needs to be more open world objectives on all planets small to large bases to capture and hold that has it's own special resources for the faction.

What I'm getting at here is there really is no purpose to fight another player outside a war zone and no real faction pride involved.

P.S remove the faction restrictions on talking with each other. I like to call out on reps and if someone is hassling me or I to them. It's called the ignore button.

Bring back Ilum with a vengeance.

It seems to me that Ilum was supposed to capture some of the appeal from the Battle of Hoth, and yet the vehicles didn't move. They just keep picking up their feet and placing them down in the same spot. Please make the objectives more dynamic.

Ilum didn't have unique pvp rewards. If you make world pvp compete directly with warzones for the same rewards, world pvp is always going to lose because it's less consistent by its own nature. Please give players a reason to world pvp.

If the world pvp zone is not populated, that's a deal breaker. So many times I got to Ilum and no one was there, so then I leave. If I had a reason to stick around, any subsequent players who showed up would not have the same problem, and more and more players would congregate in Ilum. There needs to be some activity a solo player can have fun with so that few players are ever alone in the pvp area(ironically). I don't consider picking up armaments a worthwhile activity, give us something to fight.