1.2 is a spit in the face of Vanguards, and a buff to the OP sentinels

King

Energy Blast being off the GCD is a large DPS and Burst INCREASE, even with the damage reduction on the ability itself. There will be absolutely no reason to not mash it on cool down every time, all the time now. It's literally free in every way now. Free resources, free damage, free cooldowns.

In fact, it's so free, you have to start to ask why it's an activated ability at all. If SWTOR had a working macro system, you could attach it to your main attacks and forget it even existed at all with little to no decrease in effectiveness.

/cast energy blast

/cast stockstrike

The Absorb changes, I need to see concrete numbers to really make and calls on that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the tank tree is now our best chance at burst damage?

With consumables and crit skill popped a sticky grenade, storm, stockstrike, and energy blast combo will hurt. Of course, that's assuming you've modded out to DPS. That should be about 7-8K damage in burst on a non-beefy target if things crit.

It's not assault, but it's pretty decent.

Edited by Raggok

With consumables and crit skill popped a sticky grenade, storm, stockstrike, and energy blast combo will hurt. Of course, that's assuming you've modded out to DPS. That should be about 7-8K damage in burst if things crit.

It's not assault, but it's pretty decent.

Agreed its better, but take each tree in Sentinel and compare their rotations with that one and they all probably double it. The only way to get things changed in this game is to complain, vanguards never used to and we get nerfed now.

Energy blast in its current state felt awkward to use because its basically a "filler" shot in between your primary shots. The cast delay just made it not fit right.

Off the GCD it will be a nice big chunk of extra burst, but I don't think it will be the extra juice we need to knock down a healer 1v1.

Energy blast in its current state felt awkward to use because its basically a "filler" shot in between your primary shots. The cast delay just made it not fit right.

Off the GCD it will be a nice big chunk of extra burst, but I don't think it will be the extra juice we need to knock down a healer 1v1.

However, shield builds can excel at hard swaps to low health targets with storm.

However, shield builds can excel at hard swaps to low health targets with storm.

Most of my damage is through AOE in WZs.

I just want to see the look on peoples faces through when I dump 2.5k stock strike crits with 1.4k energy blasts.

Edited by ComeAndSee

Agreed its better, but take each tree in Sentinel and compare their rotations with that one and they all probably double it. The only way to get things changed in this game is to complain, vanguards never used to and we get nerfed now.

exactly people do not understand that a good sentinel is 10 times the player of a good gunnery commando right now. Sorry but if you have the most complex damage system then you should do the most damage. If your class can be played by a dippy bird then you shouldn't be doing that much in comparison.

exactly people do not understand that a good sentinel is 10 times the player of a good gunnery commando right now. Sorry but if you have the most complex damage system then you should do the most damage. If your class can be played by a dippy bird then you shouldn't be doing that much in comparison.

I agree Bioware fails at design. Nerf commandos, or better yet delete them and offer a class reroll.

I love how people always threaten to quit at the first sign of a nerf. It's an mmo, it's gonna happen sry to say. Perhaps mario kart would be more to your liking?

bah should be called Wario kart that fatty is OP

Watchman, the arguably most powerful Sent tree, got nerfed. Weaker trees got buffed.

I love how people always threaten to quit at the first sign of a nerf. It's an mmo, it's gonna happen sry to say. Perhaps mario kart would be more to your liking?

Changez r baaad. Force forbid they'd have to revise their playstyle and their spec.

Edited by Helig

In their defense, this is more than a nerf. This is a complete denial of a spec.

Edited by MudMonster

Im just gonna add to this discussion that although it might not seem that way the changes to Assault represent the Greatest Nerf to any one class/spec to date! Why you ask "we are just getting a more stabilized proc rate!"

Well that is not the case! despite the wording of the patch notes what is happening they are putting a ceiling to the bonus you get from RNG (geek version of "Luck") The "buff" to the proc chance of High Impact bolt, is 60% proc chance to stockstrike, and 45% to ion burst.

What does this mean in short fights? you can still not have a single proc of High Impact bolt, while at the same time you wont benefit if it procs alot.

In longer fights (PvE) it means your Ammo will suffer ALOT! After this change you will generate 1 ammo, every 10 secs! Remember You still need to fish for procs after the cooldown has expired!

End conclusion? Bioware just made us, a gimped version of Commando Assault. (We will need to spam auto attack just as much but without the benefit of having the big *** gun.)

While I love mario kart (64 btw). People on the Sentinel forums were threatening to quit and complaining about not being a good class and they by far got the most attention and buffs in the next patch. What that tells me is that it is necessary to complain in order to not get nerfed or have bioware pay attention to your class. Look at the patch notes, at just how long the notes are for sentinel and guardian compared to vanguards and even worse off shadows. While complaining seems childish, it seems to be the only thing that has worked.

and everything outside of force sweep still hits like trash. Its a gimmick spec that only people who like to do a big crit every so often think is good. Its still a bad spec. No good sentinel runs it.

This.

Although I tend to disagree with Hizoka's dickish approach - he's correct on this.

Great they improved the ONLY thing going for Focus Sents. /clap?

This.

Although I tend to disagree with Hizoka's dickish approach - he's correct on this.

Great they improved the ONLY thing going for Focus Sents. /clap?

Well, you shouldn't agree with Hizoka.

Focus Spec for Sents is NOT a one trick pony. This is what bad Sentinels think. Now, let me explain to how to play your class better. This debate was had out by Sentinels back before the mass exodus.

Perma 50% run speed buff for your group. Let me say that again because it's absolutely absurd. Perma 50% run speed buff for your group... oh yea, that increases defense. Wow... Yea, right out of the blocks this looks like a gimp spec.

/thread. Right there. That's it. It's not a bad spec. No matter what you say at this point, I can trump it with- "Perma +50% run speed buff for your group." I win. You lose.

Now, additionally, you get a strong Blade Storm, an awesome Slash, Force Exhaustion (which is an awesome ability), 20% armor ignore, 33%% CDR on the best defensive cooldown in the game bar none which is further amplified with the PvP set bonus and brought to 50% CDR, 7% damage reduction... Oh yea, and then there's that AoE bomb. Focus is a more niche spec... but it is ridiculously powerful in that niche.

What more do you want? Sure, it's a bad spec if you consider that isn't not a child's tunnel vision spec like Watchman (which granted is strong enough to let bad tunnel vision players think they're good). When I rerolled on a new server, I told one of my friends I was making a huge mistake rerolling a Trooper instead of a Sentinel because they were the Rogues from WoW- an exceptionally strong class played by the worst players who will complain and get the class buffed to Godhood.

Edited by Coramac

because they were the Rogues from WoW- an exceptionally strong class played by the worst players who will complain and get the class buffed to Godhood.

So true. That's what the rogue community became. They felt entitled to win all 1v1s and when a class gave them problems they demanded to be buffed or for that class to be nerfed.

Vanilla WoW Rogue Nostalgia for any interested. :p

I agree with the OP on one thing. The other boards have a LOT more whining than the Trooper board.

I actually feel like I lose IQ points when I venture over to other ones. Trooper board has by far the most intellectual convo's. And by far the most work put into theory/mechanics in the threads.

But i can believe that the ridiculous amount of whining that goes on in other boards has an affect on the nerfs/buffs.

We'll see what happens when 1.2 comes out. If it ever comes out. If there is anyone who can adjust and find the advantages in the new set-up it's the Troopers.

I'll just be happy if the finally get that damn Legacy thing goin. Legacy 5 and competely useless :)

So true. That's what the rogue community became. They felt entitled to win all 1v1s and when a class gave them problems they demanded to be buffed or for that class to be nerfed.

Vanilla WoW Rogue Nostalgia for any interested. :p

That was a great video man. Loved the Luffa usage. You know how I know you were good? 9:26 Evasion vs. Warriors. OMG! So many idiot Rogues would tell me they couldn't use Evasion against a Warrior because of Overpower. No, if you don't use Evasion, you eat the Mortal Strike, Whirl Wind, autoattacks, and then get Overpowered from Spamstring.

Be interesting to see how the Ion Pulse shield buff stacks, or if they change shields to include all types and not just melee/ranged..

Not going to happen. From the interviews I've been able to watch / read, it is clear bioware is happy with the current effectivity of shield in PVP and considers its uselessness adequate as the "current" FOTM classes apparently are supposed to hit vanguards with ease.

Edited by sensiblepoast