Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Will SWTOR be able to compete with upcoming MMOs?

SaerethDL

goto terra foru, in a few months.

the whiners, crybabies, complainers, haters will all be there.

the post will be very similar to tor forums.

nerf this, blah blah is overpowered, the worst pvp ever, im gonna unsub coz.............

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Tera is just lols beta was a a joke, but GW2 is great and will be very good june-july for it i think and you will see subs fly from SWTOR,dont get me wrong im a massive star wars fan but swtor is just lame and GW2 is and going to be so much better from PVP to PVE,charicter creation and just genral game play anyone that playes GW2 will not come back to any other MMO trust me

Sorry Tera is just lols beta was a a joke, but GW2 is great and will be very good june-july for it i think and you will see subs fly from SWTOR,dont get me wrong im a massive star wars fan but swtor is just lame and GW2 is and going to be so much better from PVP to PVE,charicter creation and just genral game play anyone that playes GW2 will not come back to any other MMO trust me

So you did nothing but quest right? Man ignorance is bliss. You do know there is more to do right? Meh..not much can be done to people who do not truly know how to play a game the way it is meant to be played. Guess it's like i stated...hardcore is not for casuals, or maybe it is the fact you actually have to do something besides stand there and spam 4 buttons?. Too much to do in Tera and so much to learn. Never been a GW fan so i will not be playing GW2. Sorry, but i like to have roles matter and GW2 is doing wierd stuff. Everyone can tank, heal, dps..no specific roles needed...not my cup of tea.

Edited by Laced

It could be interesting if it left about 2-3 years ago.

It is now Boring, the game mechanics is poor for solo rpg, isn't present mmo component at all.

Very weak level of the detailed elaboration, all modern mmorpg is much more beautiful

I have reached 25 level, and now I`m searching for other game to play.

The only thing this game has - it is a name, but It won't suffice for long...

This game needs compleate rebuild...

ive looked at Tera and it did not look like something i would enjoy. it was much too asian and 'metro'.

GW2 always makes me giggle a little though, and not because i think its going to be bad or anything like that, but just because people praise it like its the new baby jesus of gaming...

...while they are posting on the forums for a game that was also supposed to be the new baby jesus of gaming 6 months ago when it wasnt released yet.

do people never learn or what?

ive looked at Tera and it did not look like something i would enjoy. it was much too asian and 'metro'.

GW2 always makes me giggle a little though, and not because i think its going to be bad or anything like that, but just because people praise it like its the new baby jesus of gaming...

...while they are posting on the forums for a game that was also supposed to be the new baby jesus of gaming 6 months ago when it wasnt released yet.

do people never learn or what?

"Tera" is a misplaced comparison, also "Guild Wars 2". The only comparable games would be "The Repopulation" (sci-fi setting, updated Hero Engine) or "ArcheAge" (no sci-fi setting but it´s unbelievable how much is already possible to do even in Beta). Also "The Secret World", but it´s also not out yet. I´ll stick to my all-time favourite EvE and occasional SWTOR until my remaining game time runs out.

LOL..not really:P Sub was cancled after i realized the game is for people who can only play games on easy and normal. TOR is a dissapointment. Bioware and EA only cares about you casuals. Crafting was supposed to be EPIC.....yeah. Operations was supposed to be Challenging....only the bugs and the low rent crap RNG they use. Real endgame uses mechanics. Endgame is not fully cleared in 3 different modes in a month..so i do hope the best for you and everyone else who is twitterpaited with bioware. EA will wreck your dreams.

Well if you look at the new patch notes, they are actually making operations and flashpoints harder.

And the new operation on hard mode is supposed to be considerably more challenging, shortly after that nightmare mode is going to come out, its going to have different mechanics then hard mode, and they promise that it will be a "nightmare" to complete.

They have hardcore guilds helping them with this stuff to work out the kinks and get the difficulty right, something they didnt do with EV and something they said they didnt do for long enough with KP (although it was considerably better already)

Not to mention Nightmare mode KP will be harder now and will be offering blackhole commendations so people will wanting to be running that for 1.2. They are also making hard mode KP consdierably harder it seems (at least on some bosses) it doesnt seem like it will offer blackhole comms though

Edited by Samborino

I think that the only MMO I may consider looking at is Guild Wars 2. However, SWTOR is pretty much the ONLY video game I play nowadays and I focus on that especially.

For pvpers guild wars 2 may be great. Content wise it looks pretty bad. 8 dungeons in the entire game (with 3 different paths per dungeon i guess, but thats like half way through the dungeon) and most of those dungeons are low level, maybe only 3 of those dungeons will be for end game. Basically all dungeons will have a story moode, then after that there will be a harder version that you can do for the next 5-8 levels with better loot, but if you want to go back to them at laater levels you will just be scaled down to that level and it wont offer you any loot at your level.

No raids will be in the game whatsoever. And although they add dynamic onto the begining of basically every feature in the game, you will still run into the same dynamic world events all the time and it suddenly wont be so dynamic anymore. Not to mention the end game loot is looking to be far more lack luster than swtor was at launch. Dungeon bosses just drop tokens each dungeon only offers 1 set of gear etc.

Like i said, im sure it will cater to the PVP player, but it certainly isnt the be all end all of mmo's like so many people claim, it will be a dissapointment just like every single overhyped mmo that comes out these days.

If you're hoping Secret World will be your savior, you're in for a rude awakening. It's made by Funcom so you can be guaranteed the game will release in an incomplete manner. Funcom doesn't make even closely finished games, as soon as their government funding runs dry they rush to launch.

Do fine people who are loyal and enjoy their mmo will stay the other who have nothing better to do but bounce mmo to mmo will leave thats expects people like that should stick with their console and singleplayer games.

Then there is this:

Bethesda and ZeniMax Studios are allegedly preparing to unveil an Elder Scrolls massively multiplayer game this May, Tom's Guide has learned.

Citing an anonymous "industry source," the site said the MMO will take place 1,000 years before the time of Skyrim and hundreds of years before any of the other Elder Scrolls titles, near or during the "Second Era," Tom's Guide said.

The game will feature three playable factions, but all that is known about them is that they will be represented by either a lion, dragon, or a bird of prey (possibly a phoenix or an eagle).

This May, as in less than two months from now? That would be just out of the blue. That's not how the entertainment industry works.

Or does "unveil" mean they will announce that they started working on such a title? In that case, TOR has plenty of time before having to worry about that.

Edited by Siorac

This May, as in less than two months from now? That would be just out of the blue. That's not how the entertainment industry works.

They plan on showing it off at the convention in May, according to several articles I have read. Bethesda is a terrific game maker, I'll be anxious to see what they do with this. The three faction idea is quite compelling and out of he ordinary.

Edited by johnduane

After the story aspect wears off, the game is nothing more than a typical static, quest/raid/endgame grind like every other MMO before it. Sure I'll probably stick around or at least re-sub every once and a while to try new content but I'm interested in seeing what GW2 can do with its dynamic events system.

LOL..not really:P Sub was cancled after i realized the game is for people who can only play games on easy and normal. TOR is a dissapointment. Bioware and EA only cares about you casuals. Crafting was supposed to be EPIC.....yeah. Operations was supposed to be Challenging....only the bugs and the low rent crap RNG they use. Real endgame uses mechanics. Endgame is not fully cleared in 3 different modes in a month..so i do hope the best for you and everyone else who is twitterpaited with bioware. EA will wreck your dreams.

The days when a mmorpg with 100k active subs was a success is long gone, dead. Today the mass of casual player 'feed' the mmorpg's. Do not expect that 10-20% of the player base in a mmorpg take it as 'hardcore' make the game survive, believing that is fooly, but the 80% of the casuals do.

The days when camping hours and hours and killing legions of mobs to get that X item are gone also. Casual players log in play 1-2 hours, they dont enjoy camping hours, days for something, the progress has to be 'facile' as possible. This is how the market looks atm and it will no go back in the early days of mmorpg.

Hardcore players is a breed that will disappear slowly but certain, and yet they are need it in a mmorpg community.

As for ToR if will survive? For those that had enough with fantasy worlds,lore rehashed all over again it will be a refuge from all of that. People will play the game.

Here lies the real problem, large MMOs are being release at a rate of 2 or 3 a year, all trying to cash in on Blizzards success, but prior to WoW there were few MMOs and people spent effort and time on their characters. Thus communities were built.

Now we see people jumping from release to release and no new MMO has more than 6 months life before the next one is released, the community never builds and the developers see no reason to invest, and just start developing their next title.

This isnt a fault of the players, it is the game market been driven by large profits. The men in grey suits have gained control and now innovation and quality will be sacrificed for profit.

The days when a mmorpg with 100k active subs was a success is long gone, dead. Today the mass of casual player 'feed' the mmorpg's. Do not expect that 10-20% of the player base in a mmorpg take it as 'hardcore' make the game survive, believing that is fooly, but the 80% of the casuals do.

The days when camping hours and hours and killing legions of mobs to get that X item are gone also. Casual players log in play 1-2 hours, they dont enjoy camping hours, days for something, the progress has to be 'facile' as possible. This is how the market looks atm and it will no go back in the early days of mmorpg.

Hardcore players is a breed that will disappear slowly but certain, and yet they are need it in a mmorpg community.

As for ToR if will survive? For those that had enough with fantasy worlds,lore rehashed all over again it will be a refuge from all of that. People will play the game.

Actually TOR still punishes you for being around other players, having to compete for quest objectives, 'wait' in line. I think GW2 does more to fix that problem by making events require teamwork and everyone in the area contributes.

So you did nothing but quest right? Man ignorance is bliss. You do know there is more to do right? Meh..not much can be done to people who do not truly know how to play a game the way it is meant to be played. Guess it's like i stated...hardcore is not for casuals, or maybe it is the fact you actually have to do something besides stand there and spam 4 buttons?. Too much to do in Tera and so much to learn. Never been a GW fan so i will not be playing GW2. Sorry, but i like to have roles matter and GW2 is doing wierd stuff. Everyone can tank, heal, dps..no specific roles needed...not my cup of tea.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2285281_n.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...116_201252.png

http://www.terapvp.com/attachments/tera-elin-jpg.1572/

http://www.mmohelper.ru/mmorpg/wp-co...n-2_resize.jpg

http://img2.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/20...tera/tera5.jpg

This isn't the kind of "hardcore" most people are interested in...

I imagine tera's player base will look a lot like the guys you see on "to catch a predator"

what's really funny is when they try to defend this with "lore". yeah, your hundred year old fairies look and act like sexualized prepubescent little girls in panties. sorry, no one buys it. they're even voiced to sound like little girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pyi40aIU8Y

Actually TOR still punishes you for being around other players, having to compete for quest objectives, 'wait' in line. I think GW2 does more to fix that problem by making events require teamwork and everyone in the area contributes.

Every mmorpg does that. You can group up with other players yes but it will alway be a second group that might need to kill same mob to finish a quest etc. Its the respawn time that each npc has it.

Every mmorpg does that. You can group up with other players yes but it will alway be a second group that might need to kill same mob to finish a quest etc. Its the respawn time that each npc has it.

Yea and I think it's an outdated way of thinking. Guild Wars 2 is probably going to be the first MMO really fix the problem (Warhammer tried some area/group quests). In GW2 there are random events with objectives that you can contribute to, but you don't even need to be grouped with anyone to get credit for participating. You get REWARDED for working/being around other players - even if you're not grouped.

EVERY day running dailies in TOR I have to put up with groups/players competing for the limited number of mobs.

Edited by AislingKerrigan

Will swtor lose alot of player base to mmo's that are coming out soon, TERA may 1st, and GW2 around dec? After playing TERA over beta weekend it seems like a very developed and quality MMO that has all the things an MMO'ers heart can desire. These mmo's didn't give the excuses that they are a new MMO and need to develop after launch.. they are delivering everything we expect in a modern day MMO on release.. How will swtor hold up to the competition is the question?

What do we expect? I'd love to hear it. I know what I expect anyway.