Will SWTOR be able to compete with upcoming MMOs?

SaerethDL

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tera is going to be a Korean grindfest that very few are going to stick with and I don't even count GW2 among other MMOs because it's pay once play for life... that's an average PC game with heavy MMO aspects. I expect people to play it on and off when they get bored with their MMO of choice and then bounce back as soon as they miss their old MMO.

SWTOR is 4 months old and doing pretty well for a launch game. The stuff coming down the pipe will catch it up to speed. All the haters and naysayers say what they like, but a lot of people including myself enjoy SWTOR and are sticking with it for the long haul.

http://kotaku.com/5886496/the-guild-wars-2-beta-weekend-ends-in-crash+causing-chaos?tag=guildwars

Doesnt seem like guildwars 2 is handling "large groups" of people any better than swtor did. And the groups werent even that large it was a press beta weekend, not an open to the public beta weekend lol.

Sure people say "its still beta" but people said that about swtor and ilum as well ;)

And just think they will try and have 1000+ people in a zone haha.

Richard Garriott

Richard Garriott actually moved away from the traditional elves, dwarves, orcs, humans by creating his own lore, such as gargoyles, daemons, cyclops, emps, etc.

Don't insult his name like that. :p

If you want to blame anyone, blame the people who exploit the works of Tolkien and Gary Gygax.

Edited by ConradLionhart

Rift was all about lvl 50. Leveling was painful ..well it's painful here too. Learn to research plox

I'm surprised to read that. Rift was the first MMO that I got to level-cap quickly. Too quickly in fact since I'm not much on traditional level-cap activities. I'm usually the one that is months behind everyone else and in Rift within a month I had one 50 and a 47.

No pain there at all for me.

I read some where, that the average mmo player only stays in an mmo about 3 to 6 months these days, I never fit that mold myself, I did play wow for three months thats all I could stand of that pile of poodoo, outside that I play mmo's for years.

Will Tor lose subs to new games yes, so will wow, Eq, Lotro, mmo'ers flip flop around these days. The problem is all these new games may sound like the best thing since sliced bread, until you get to play it. I bet when gw2 and the others launch thier forums will be just as bad as these forums with haters, /shrug

Peopel come an go and return, to games..nothing new happens all the time

I read some where, that the average mmo player only stays in an mmo about 3 to 6 months these days, I never fit that mold myself, I did play wow for three months thats all I could stand of that pile of poodoo, outside that I play mmo's for years.

Will Tor lose subs to new games yes, so will wow, Eq, Lotro, mmo'ers flip flop around these days. The problem is all these new games may sound like the best thing since sliced bread, until you get to play it. I bet when gw2 and the others launch thier forums will be just as bad as these forums with haters, /shrug

what this guy said.

On a extremely positive note, since WoW is killing itself (god knows why they implement some changes to seemingly try and ruin their own game) Tera might or might not be everyone's cup of tea/good at all and GW2 is pay once. Because GW2 is pay once it's likely that MMOers will still stay subscribed to another MMO since it costs the exact same. Aka raid in SWTOR and go do whatever in GW2. So in essence it's the economy (rl, not in game :p), features of swtor and non-MMO games that really threaten SWTOR and not other MMOs.

It's true, and we have to wonder, why? Why can no one dethrone WoW, the way WoW could dethrone Everquest?

Why is there no new MMO that can contend with WoW?

It's true, and we have to wonder, why? Why can no one dethrone WoW, the way WoW could dethrone Everquest?

Why is there no new MMO that can contend with WoW?

Everquest dethroned itself. WoW just helped it along.

But the simpler reason is that Everquest was a game that required an insane (by today's standard) investment in time and effort to play. 72 man raids that required hours of play time for a single attempt. Raid mechanics that took experienced guilds dozens of tries to find the counter to and to execute it flawlessly. Then repeat that for months to get the gear needed for the next raid in the chain.

WoW was from the start much more casual to play and could draw from a bigger crowd because of that. It also was helped by the fact that it was lucky enough to have a big player base interested in the game because of the single player game, and because at the time the public perception shifted away from viewing mmo players as anti-social basement dwellers, to moderately geeky players who might have a girlfriend who also could like to play WoW. After that everybody played WoW because everybody else also played it, and inertia has kept it at the top ever since. The other games have been struggling over the scraps that were either not picked up by WoW (e.g. people who did not like the fantasy aspect, though few attempts to start a game based on only that were even moderately successful), or got burned out by the high end game (the same player group that Everquest was shadding and that were intially scooped up by WoW as they were looking for something new and a little less demanding).

The biggest reason why SW:TOR is much more succesful than other releases in the past few years is due to much the same reason why WoW was successful. Lots of players burned out by WoW and looking for something else, and an intellectual property that is different from the standard fantasy fare and that comes with a huge fanbase.

It also shows that Bioware and EA -had- to release in december. Not just for the initial shopping season purchase rush (they had to get a lot of players quickly or they might not have the momentum to keep going), but also because that was the window of opportunity. This year's main contenders were all coming out later (probably because just about everybody expected a december or early january release of Diablo 3). With the WoW expansion pushed back this left an opening for another game to exploit. I doubt it is a surprise that many of the features that were cut from the december release are going to be in the april patch 1.2 Had Bioware and EA decided to follow the crowd (or been forced to do so to avoid coinciding with other major releases in december) then april was the next logical release date (about enough time for people to play through Diablo 3 a couple of times and start looking around again). A release which will see the implementation of most of the missing features that have been complained about.

It looks like Bioware/EA's gamble has paid off. They scooped up the majority of the players looking for a new game at the time with a game that was essentially polished but a bit thin on the QoL features. They managed to retain sufficient of them to be in a good position to fuel (and pay for!) further growth, no doubt hoping for the WoW effect where new players arrive because their friends already play the game. And they bring out a major feature release at the same time that other games must struggle for initial customers (and probably still slightly ahead of the majority of april/may new releases).

Edited by MGriffith

It looks like Bioware/EA's gamble has paid off. They scooped up the majority of the players looking for a new game at the time with a game that was essentially polished but a bit thin on the QoL features. They managed to retain sufficient of them to be in a good position to fuel (and pay for!) further growth, no doubt hoping for the WoW effect where new players arrive because their friends already play the game. And they bring out a major feature release at the same time that other games must struggle for initial customers (and probably still slightly ahead of the majority of april/may new releases).

I don't believe either of the bolded statements are true. EA's conference calls wreak of lies, and the game doesn't appear to be heading anywhere but down. The only gamble this game took (seeing as it was built largely with MMO components that are 7 years old or older) was taking a 150 million dollar investment in elderly content and releasing it 4-6 months too early. And, I believe, that gamble has failed -- horrendously.

Honestly, I think it will be a huge flash, followed by a "come back to, when bored" property. It's no fee model is both it's strength and it's weakness. Many people will buy it, and use it as an alternate to the the pay to play MMO of their choice. It's an "entertainment hedge" for many to their pay to play MMO. A lot of people maintain subscriptions to multiple MMOs for the same reason, to hedge their needs for enjoyment in online play.

Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a B2P game succeed the moment many people buy it?

Everquest dethroned itself. WoW just helped it along.

But the simpler reason is that Everquest was a game that required an insane (by today's standard) investment in time and effort to play. 72 man raids that required hours of play time for a single attempt. Raid mechanics that took experienced guilds dozens of tries to find the counter to and to execute it flawlessly. Then repeat that for months to get the gear needed for the next raid in the chain.

WoW was from the start much more casual to play and could draw from a bigger crowd because of that. It also was helped by the fact that it was lucky enough to have a big player base interested in the game because of the single player game, and because at the time the public perception shifted away from viewing mmo players as anti-social basement dwellers, to moderately geeky players who might have a girlfriend who also could like to play WoW. After that everybody played WoW because everybody else also played it, and inertia has kept it at the top ever since. The other games have been struggling over the scraps that were either not picked up by WoW (e.g. people who did not like the fantasy aspect, though few attempts to start a game based on only that were even moderately successful), or got burned out by the high end game (the same player group that Everquest was shadding and that were intially scooped up by WoW as they were looking for something new and a little less demanding).

The biggest reason why SW:TOR is much more succesful than other releases in the past few years is due to much the same reason why WoW was successful. Lots of players burned out by WoW and looking for something else, and an intellectual property that is different from the standard fantasy fare.

It also shows that Bioware and EA -had- to release in december. Not just for the initial shopping season purchase rush (they had to get a lot of players quickly or they might not have the momentum to keep going), but also because that was the window of opportunity. This year's main contenders were all coming out later (probably because just about everybody expected a december or early january release of Diablo 3). With the WoW expansion pushed back this left an opening for another game to exploit. I doubt it is a surprise that many of the features that were cut from the december release are going to be in the april patch 1.2 Had Bioware and EA decided to follow the crowd (or been forced to do so to avoid coinciding with other major releases in december) then april was the next logical release date (about enough time for people to play through Diablo 3 a couple of times and start looking around again). A release which will see the implementation of most of the missing features that have been complained about.

I agree with this assessment. As a SWTOR fan, I'm hoping enough people stay subbed to allow it to grow and prosper.

Tera is going to be a Korean grindfest that very few are going to stick with and I don't even count GW2 among other MMOs because it's pay once play for life... that's an average PC game with heavy MMO aspects. I expect people to play it on and off when they get bored with their MMO of choice and then bounce back as soon as they miss their old MMO.

SWTOR is 4 months old and doing pretty well for a launch game. The stuff coming down the pipe will catch it up to speed. All the haters and naysayers say what they like, but a lot of people including myself enjoy SWTOR and are sticking with it for the long haul.

If you can't speak facts, don't post. You and most others on here probably never played it. Those who did play the beta and say they hate it..well they have no skill. The game is awesome. There is nothing grindy about it unless you call questing a korean grindfest. All the casuals will stay here and all the players who need a challenge will go to Tera. Skill over stats means baddies can't hide. I'm sorry if you are not able to do everything on your own. Tera is all about some hardcore. Everything from the crafting to the PvP and PvE is impressive. PvP is *drool*. When you can kill anyone at any given time around you and visa versa thats exciting. No factions and death penalties.

Will swtor lose alot of player base to mmo's that are coming out soon, TERA may 1st, and GW2 around dec? After playing TERA over beta weekend it seems like a very developed and quality MMO that has all the things an MMO'ers heart can desire. These mmo's didn't give the excuses that they are a new MMO and need to develop after launch.. they are delivering everything we expect in a modern day MMO on release.. How will swtor hold up to the competition is the question?

Yeah, Tera was incredibly weak. With the lack of a real end game in GW2, I think SWTOR's only real competitor is going to be Rift.

If you can't speak facts, don't post. You and most others on here probably never played it. Those who did play the beta and say they hate it..well they have no skill. The game is awesome. There is nothing grindy about it unless you call questing a korean grindfest. All the casuals will stay here and all the players who need a challenge will go to Tera. Skill over stats means baddies can't hide. I'm sorry if you are not able to do everything on your own. Tera is all about some hardcore. Everything from the crafting to the PvP and PvE is impressive. PvP is *drool*. When you can kill anyone at any given time around you and visa versa thats exciting. No factions and death penalties.

I don't like TOR -- at all -- but Tera just isn't what I'm looking for in an MMO. I love the Elin -- they are absolutely adorable, and a breath of fresh air in terms of races in these games -- but the combat was jarring. And that wasn't because I was bad at it; I managed to dodge just about every attack coming my way. No, rather, I just didn't like how it was implemented.

I don't think Tera will be an 'asian grindfest' as others have stated. I just don't think it's the game for me. And neither is TOR, for that matter, despite my desperate love for all things Star Wars.

Edited by AJediKnight

Yeah, Tera was incredibly weak. With the lack of a real end game in GW2, I think SWTOR's only real competitor is going to be Rift.

Hmm..i did not know you could do any endgame at level 32. FYI they are putting raids in after launch, and if you complain about no endgame when you are max level then you have not messed with your gear and no one would want to run with you. Skill shows in alot of ways. Getting BIS in all slots which will require alot of time. Then you will need to make all your gear +12 (which is a very hard feat in it' self.) Yeah, you all need to do research and actually play it long enough to understand the game. Tera is made by gamers for gamers. You stay here and have fun...Daddy will go take care of the big stuff:P

P.S. Guild vs Guild PvP and Server vs Server.(Not 10/20/40 people..the whole server against the other server)

Edited by Laced