Qui-Gon is a doofus.

XenusParadox

Here's what should have happened in TPM:

Watto: ...Here it is...a T-14 hyperdrive generator!! Thee in luck, I'm the only one hereabouts who has one...but thee might as well buy a new ship. It would be cheaper, I think...Saying of which, how's thee going to pay for all this?

Qui-Gon: I have 20,000 republic dataries...

Watto: Republic credits? Republic credits are no use out here. I need something different, something more real...

Qui-Gon: I don't have anything else, but credits will do fine.

Watto: No, they won'ta.

Qui-Gon: Credits will do fine.

Watto: No, they won'ta! What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks won't work on me; only money. No money! No parts! No deal! And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive, I promise you that.

Qui-Gon: Okey-dokey, I'll be back in a while with the money.

*Qui-Gon walks to the merchant next door.*

Proprietor: What can I do for you?

Qui-Gon: *waving his hand* I wish to exchange 20,000 Republic credits for local currency.

Proprietor: *glassy-eyed* How about I give you local currency for those Republic credits you've got?

Qui-Gon: Done and done.

*Qui-Gon returns to Watto*

Qui-Gon: I'll take the hyperdrive. Here's 20,000 in cash.

Watto: Pleasure doing business with you.

Ya....sure, and then many problems with soon come after like that merchant trying to get his money back. Besides, I don't think any merchants would have that much money, because they also buy junk plus also getting fixes on repairs and maintaining their store. Looking at Qui-gon who was compassionate for all lifeforms, he wouldn't stoop so low as to try and take money from anyone who really needs it. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ya....sure, and then many problems with soon come after like that merchant trying to get his money back. Besides, I don't think any merchants would have that much money, because they also buy junk plus also getting fixes on repairs and maintaining their store. Looking at Qui-gon who was compassionate for all lifeforms, he wouldn't stoop so low as to try and take money from anyone who really needs it.

1. Once they get the hyperdrive, the're gonna leave the planet. They'd be all the way to Coruscant before the merchant realized he'd been had.

2. Watto seemed to be doing OK.

3. He was willing to mind trick Watto into taking the worthless credits, even though Watto's only really objectionable act was keeping slaves... and you'd be hard-pressed to find a businessman on Tatooine who didn't.

1. Once they get the hyperdrive, the're gonna leave the planet. They'd be all the way to Coruscant before the merchant realized he'd been had.

2. Watto seemed to be doing OK.

3. He was willing to mind trick Watto into taking the worthless credits, even though Watto's only really objectionable act was keeping slaves... and you'd be hard-pressed to find a businessman on Tatooine who didn't.

1. Mind trick doesn't last that long.

2. Ya 1 out of however many junk dealers is doing ok, that doesn't mean others are. In fact since gambling is so big, I doubt even Watto was doing ok.

3. Sure he was willing to mind trick to take republic credits, he wasn't mind tricking Watto into taking his credits and then using them.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Where else would he find a T-14 hyperdrive on a backwater planet? Not to mention Watto himself stated such.

"And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive generator, I promise you that!"

...because that's definitely not the oldest sales pitch in the book.

Watto: ...Here it is...a T-14 hyperdrive generator!! Thee in luck, I'm the only one hereabouts who has one...but thee might as well buy a new ship. It would be cheaper, I think...Saying of which, how's thee going to pay for all this?

Watto: Republic credits? Republic credits are no use out here. I need something different, something more real...

Watto: No, they won'ta! What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks won't work on me; only money. No money! No parts! No deal! And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive, I promise you that.

Qui-Gon: *waving his hand* I wish to exchange 20,000 Republic credits for local currency.

Proprietor: *glassy-eyed* How about I give you local currency for those Republic credits you've got?

Its a movie. Obviously lucas planned it like that.

Then how come we can use them in-game to buy everything under the double suns? :p

It was on the republic trade routes.

It'll create a trouble. You can't simply do such a thing if you are a jedi.

Edited by Natherillen

But it's cool to mind trick the guy who actually HAS what you want to take the money he thinks is worthless? That's okay as a Jedi?

Well yeah, as long as the guy HAS what you want then it's cool. Greater good of the galaxy and all that, but if it's just some poor schmuck next door then well... not cool dude... not cool. I think that's the official Jedi code version actually.

If they have what you need use Mind Trick, if they don't have it don't be a *****. -Master Windu

He was willing to mind trick Watto into taking the worthless credits, even though Watto's only really objectionable act was keeping slaves... and you'd be hard-pressed to find a businessman on Tatooine who didn't.

Yep. Red Letter Media said it best: Qui-Gon was an inconsistent mess of a character. A Jedi who is willing to cheat at a bet by using the Force to manipulate a die roll, but somehow isn't willing to just take the part he needed directly. I mean, that's what he was doing in a roundabout way anyway, might as well save time and cut to the chase.

Qui-Gon's actions don't make a whole lot of sense.

That's sort of the point.

He's the Jedi maverick, the guy who plays a little too fast and loose with the rules, because he's an ardent follower of the Living Force, which essentially means letting it guide you moment to moment, without really thinking or focusing too far ahead.

Or in other words, Qui-Gon firmly belongs to the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" school.

In the moment, he knew he needed the parts to fix the ship to get the Queen to Coruscant. Credits and mind tricks didn't work. And really, what are the odds of the the ONLY junk dealer on the PLANET who has the part you need being resistant to Force persuasion? That's a sign from the Force, telling Qui-Gon that this isn't going to be as simple as grabbing the dohickey and leaving. And then he bumps into Anakin both in the store and shortly afterwards. Another sign from the Force, that he was meant to find this boy. When he realizes Anakin's peculiar status, he knows that the Force arranged this meeting, and he must find a way to take Anakin with him. Cheating the die roll is a small thing when weighed against the will of the Force. . . in fact, one could argue the will of the Force WANTED the chance cube to come up in Qui-Gon's favor, and Qui-Gon knew, in that moment, as a follower of the Living Force, that he had to make certain of that result.

Looking back on it all, Qui-Gon may wish he'd simply chopped Watto in half with his lightsaber, Force-shoved the hyperdrive back to the ship, and blasted away from that dustball without ever laying eyes on Anakin. But that was not the Will of the Force.

Yep. Red Letter Media said it best: Qui-Gon was an inconsistent mess of a character. A Jedi who is willing to cheat at a bet by using the Force to manipulate a die roll, but somehow isn't willing to just take the part he needed directly. I mean, that's what he was doing in a roundabout way anyway, might as well save time and cut to the chase.

Really, you prequal bashing sheep need a new god to worship, that ones getting old.

And lol at them calling anything "An inconsistent mess" without looking in the mirror and seeing the irony.

Edited by TKMaster

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.