Free trials

Harraz

Nothing to see here but a bunch of fanbois not being able to read the writing on the wall.

and I LOVE this game but ppl are NOT logging in. look at your server pops during prime time. I just had a thread closed and deleted after saying alot of this in a very positive manner.

these 1.7 mill subs? are " ghosts " ppl with hanging accounts that left them going till next month end or are letting the subs ride ( like me ) to see how the patches go

Free trials arent given for giggles...THEY can see how many ppl are logging in and its probably below expectancy for 1 mill let alone 1.7.

Smart move on their part and yes they needed to do it now to hook more casuals

PS : Id love for a MODERATOR to PM me a message explaining why my constructive earnest post was deleted

Edited by Fedaykan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

Do you feel free trials came a bit too early?

No.

Did you see what WOW is doing to pull back in people that haven't played in a while?

Free level 80 toon.

Free Cataclysm upgrade.

Free realm transfer and faction change to your friends server.

Free level 80 gear.

Free Mount.

Free epic flying (this costs 5k gold too).

Your friend gets a free mount then.

Edited by RycheMykola

No.

Did you see what WOW is doing to pull back in people that haven't played in a while?

Free level 80 toon.

Free Cataclysm upgrade.

Free realm transfer and faction change to your friends server.

Free level 80 gear.

Free Mount.

Free epic flying (this costs 5k gold too).

Your friend gets a free mount then.

WoW didn't have a free trial of any kind for like 5 years, at least, though.

There is a bug causing Fleet to be overly instanced. Like 5 people per instance.

People are, of course, raging like crazy about it.

Ye is game breaking, as over 9000 small insignificant other bugs. You know people like to make from mosquito...stallion.

I bet there are many post of doom and gloom already out there. Anyways this was off topic.

Too early? Give me a break. It is advertising like any other.

One of the best ways to encourage new players is to give them a taster of what they're putting their money down for. Aion had one of the worst free trials that I've known and now they've gone free-to-play but were struggling for years.

PS : Id love for a MODERATOR to PM me a message explaining why my constructive earnest post was deleted
Because despite what you think, your post was not constructive. I didn't read it, but I immediately knew that you were incapable of making a constructive post when I read "fanbois."

A short time ago BioWare announced the first “Weekend Pass” event for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Players will be able to access the first fifteen levels of the game, as well as explore all the starter and capitol worlds between March 15th and March 19th.

:D

Forum rules specifically state that you cannot be rude or name call when you post. ;)

If you did not think you were being rude, well.... no amount of PMs from anyone is going to help you.

Weekend passes to MMOs are a marketing tactic to attract people to try the game, JUST LIKE friends referring friends is a marketng tactic.

Tip: TV advertising is also a marketing tactic, which many MMOs do as well, to attract new players.

Personally, I am glad to see Bioware doing active marketing tactics early on in the games life cycle. Other games have done free weekends and friend trials on the sunlight side of their release as well. Waiting until years after you bleed dry is too little too late, and frankly a waste of effort.

And, for MMOs, content releases and patches are also marketing tactics as well. I don't see people complaining about these, except that they are not often enough or the content they want. :)

Edited by Andryah

Announced 1.7 million subs

Released game in Asia

Announced that game has 1.7 million subs

=

US+EU subs (the most profitable ones) dropping, which would explain the decreasing server pop.

Am I missing something?

Facts..and the fact Asia is still in their 30 free day period so they can't count them as subs?

So it's just funny.

They just say:

"Hey guys, everything is GREAAAAAAT and SW:TOR performs AMAAAAAAAAZING in sales and subs, we sell so much copies and we have so much subs, SW:TOR is SOOOOOO successfull..."

But reality?

Where are those 1,7m players? Where are they????

And last week the 1 week trial keys, now the new trial-weekend. It's just ridiculous. This game is NOT that AWESOME like they just imagine about it. And hey, if there are 1,7m subs, why are on my server less than 1000 players of BOTH sides?

The only thing I really loathe is this hypocrisy. Don't give me that story. :rolleyes:

Edited by LovarBoy

So it's just funny.

They just say:

"Hey guys, everything is GREAAAAAAT and SW:TOR performs AMAAAAAAAAZING in sales and subs, we sell so much copies and we have so much subs, SW:TOR is SOOOOOO successfull..."

But reality?

Where are those 1,7m players? Where are they????

And last week the 1 week trial keys, now the new trial-weekend. It's just ridiculous. This game is NOT that AWESOME like they just imagine about it. And hey, if there are 1,7m subs, why are on my server less than 1000 players of BOTH sides?

The only thing I really loathe is this hypocrisy. Don't give me that story. :rolleyes:

Anything constructive to say???

Most games during those first 5 years of WoW's life didn't do free trials at all.

I agree.

Aion actually started the early life cycle free trial weekends if I recall correctly. It's become somewhat of a standard tactic since then. It costs the MMO provider nothing to do so, and every subscriber they gain from it is upside for them and the playe base.

Edited by Andryah

Anything constructive to say???

Depends on you.

I think trials are just a way to conceal the amount of dropping players.

I don't think they are just implemented because BioWare is so generous. They WANT and they NEED new players / subs to feed their ego. And it needs tons of food... ;)

nothing wrong with a free trial if they are restrained properly from causing issues to paying subscribers with things like mail spam, credit selling yells etc.

Gives a lot of people a chance to see the game and decide for themselves instead of just relying on what a bunch of trolls with too much time on their hands spew out on a daily basis. Gives alts more group possibilities for the first 2+ and 4 quests on starter planets, and probably options for first instance group mates.

1.7 million in January.... 1.7 million in March.

I admit I'm not good with math.. but....

I'd like to see how many are active. $15 really is a drop in the bucket.

Though the people that love the game are just swarming to populated servers and planning to move their alts when transfers come available.

Facts..and the fact Asia is still in their 30 free day period so they can't count them as subs?

I (and the rest of North America) had to create a subscription within a 4 day grace period in order to continue playing after launch. Granted my CC was not charged again until the end of my 30 days, but I had to create a subscription so they could brag about high numbers. Are you suggesting that Asia could use their full 30 days before creating a subscription?

Depends on you.

I think trials are just a way to conceal the amount of dropping players.

I don't think they are just implemented because BioWare is so generous. They WANT and they NEED new players / subs to feed their ego. And it needs tons of food... ;)

i'm going to disagree. the markets changed dramatically. A lot of MMO's are F2P, have unlimited free trials (wow and rift), or some other trial deal.

SWTOR had to do something to stay in the game. Good move imho. With how the economy is and people watching what they spend, I'm sure a lot of people don't want to drop $50 on a game and not like it.

free trials come and go its part of marketing look at what blizzard doing to try to get people back... Blizzard cant even boost that they are over 7 million right now and after MoP i figure it will drop even more. Aion going F2P as well. Rift has been gain member as well as swtor. dev have already said the game has over twice as member than what they thought. it can easly put new content out with only 800k subs.. so i dont see this game going F2P for a while

Nothing to see here but a bunch of fanbois not being able to read the writing on the wall.

I love it when ANYONE who has ANYTHING positive to say is instantly branded a "fanbois" ... You really have nothing to support your point so you drag out that old, overused monicker hoping to get some support for your asinine theories.

It's pointless to try to argue with the drivel you're spewing here, but I thought I'd throw in two, fairly basic ideas to get your mind around:

1) EVERY MMO has a free trial. Generally, people are up in arms if it isn't available at launch (you should have seen the madness during the Age of Conan beta when participants were told it might be a few months before Friend invites were available!).

2) Oh yes, everyone is out to get you and silence you, even though most of your recent posts are pretty much trolling. I really don't think I need to go much farther than that ... you'll ***** to try to get attention, you'll get it and then you'll get your sick sense of enjoyment out of it.

Sure, there's a lot of stupidity in the world, but why does it all seem to filter into posts like the above? I gave up on message boards back in the original EQ days and now I remember why.

1.7 million in January.... 1.7 million in March.

I admit I'm not good with math.. but....

I'm not trying to troll or anything, but I wonder is those 1.7 million in March are simply people like me who signed up for a 3 month sub plan thinking this game would be awesome but have since then cancelled.

Do I still count towards that 1.7 million? I'm never playing this game again after the end of April. Just curious because I knew a hand full of people that have cancelled but still have game time left.