Hybrids > 31 Point Builds?

il-jumper

Is it me or hybrids seem better then 31 point builds? the 31 skill seem quite lacking.

Rapid Fire sucks. Its useless using 3 SoS in a row.

Weakening Blast is meh, its only good if target below 30% hp

Plasma Probe is good for denial in pvp but...

Example Marksman/Engineer Hybrid

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsrbdMoRZbIbrRo.1

Example of Lethality/Engineer Hybrid

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bZbI0rRoZGbbkrMhd.1

MM/eng hybrid is absolutely better then 31 MM both in theory and practice. Can't definitely say for other variants, but I tend to agree that now hybrid builds are better. 31 point sniper talents are crap. Let's see what they'll implement in 1.2 Edited by Alkei

In PvE when you get extremely geared i.e. 600 - 700 power with 1600+ cunning then using 3 sos in a row makes sense since it can crit up to around 1800 per tick and there is 4 ticks in 3s and it only costs 20 energy. In pvp it is extremely situational.

You are giving up burst though if you go for a hybrid MM/engineering though. You have to consider what you're trying to do and whether the extra utility makes up for it.

I think rapid fire is a pretty solid skill. Sure it's not the greatest, but it's pretty good.

For example, fully buffed I have around 500 bonus damage and using the daily quest barrel. It ticks for ~1,000-1,900 depending on crit. Using the skill that gives 20% haste it turns sos into a 2.2 second cast. So use that, then sos and I'll do ~4-7600, then use rapid fire and do two more. So basically with that skill I can do 12-22,800 in 6.6 seconds. That's pretty solid burn phase damage and it'll only get better once I get decked out in full columi, rakata, and better rifle.

question is is it worth dropping imperial assassin?

30% more crit damage seems good :S

The potential energy gain from Explosive Probe might just warrent the loss of the crit damage. Somebody who isn't terrible at mathematics should try and work it out, because I gave up on numbers long ago...

EDIT: I guess it also depends on whether you've stacked surge and crit chance

Edited by VampireGranny

question is is it worth dropping imperial assassin?

30% more crit damage seems good :S

You're right, 30% crit damage is nice, so pick up the 30% AoE crit box for 2 points in engineering. From the template listed above, I'd take the points from accuracy in the marksman tree; what a dumb choice.

Edited by vimm

You gain way too much from hybrid specs compared to 31pt specs it's not even funny. There just is no reason to spec a full tree for the current 31pt abilities imo...

I have a feeling this will change "soon."

Hopefully it will be like the assassin changes where people are upset to see their hybrids go but then are soon silenced by seeing a good 31 skill tree. And hopefully not just one tree, but all 3 of them

Edited by Technohic

You're right, 30% crit damage is nice, so pick up the 30% AoE crit box for 2 points in engineering. From the template listed above, I'd take the points from accuracy in the marksman tree; what a dumb choice.

Try what you just said. To move up in the tier you need to put it into something and to get follow through you need to use that many points in marksman tree. So careful when your calling some ones choice dumb.

Try what you just said. To move up in the tier you need to put it into something and to get follow through you need to use that many points in marksman tree. So careful when your calling some ones choice dumb.

Nope, it was a dumb choice; literally any other choice would have been an improvement. You do not need 7 points in tier 1, lmao.

Nope, it was a dumb choice; literally any other choice would have been an improvement. You do not need 7 points in tier 1, lmao.

Yes, you do. It's kinda lame, but the way they set up the tier system you have to take at least 7 points in Tier 1 to get followthrough.

Personally, I'd replace Heavy Shot with Sector Ranger in his build. The knockback is useful, but it prevents you from using Ambush on some trash pulls if positioned awkwardly. Reducing the activation time on Orbital Strike is ALWAYS good though.

I've been full marksman for the longest time and recently tried out full lethality. Both specs have great burst but overall I think lethality puts out more dps. Anyway, I had a bit of energy problems so I switched to the common 16/3/22 build and I gotta say, I am loving my sniper again. Once I apply my two dots I go to town and put out loads of dmg with cull -> sos -> ambush -> cull. After the second cull just use the basic attack once, reapply one dot, basic attack, do the other, one more basic attack, then start over. The people at sithwarrior.com were right. Currently this is the highest dps spec and it's great for pve and pvp.

I think to combat the whole hybrid spec thing is they should make the talent MM get for more energy regen when in cover either be something baseline that you get at x level or drop it down the tree to the first tier or something. That talent is just too good for energy regen.

Edited by Ulmius

I've been full marksman for the longest time and recently tried out full lethality. Both specs have great burst but overall I think lethality puts out more dps. Anyway, I had a bit of energy problems so I switched to the common 16/3/22 build and I gotta say, I am loving my sniper again. Once I apply my two dots I go to town and put out loads of dmg with cull -> sos -> ambush -> cull. After the second cull just use the basic attack once, reapply one dot, basic attack, do the other, one more basic attack, then start over. The people at sithwarrior.com were right. Currently this is the highest dps spec and it's great for pve and pvp.

I think to combat the whole hybrid spec thing is they should make the talent MM get for more energy regen when in cover either be something baseline that you get at x level or drop it down the tree to the first tier or something. That talent is just too good for energy regen.

could you (or someone) post this 16/3/22 build? is it for PvE dps? as of right now im just basically full MM and i feel like i could add more to it

EDIT: is this it? http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rcrbb0oZ0cZGMbkrrok.1 and is it good for pve?

Edited by xJACKTHERIPPERx

could you (or someone) post this 16/3/22 build? is it for PvE dps? as of right now im just basically full MM and i feel like i could add more to it

EDIT: is this it? http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rcrbb0oZ0cZGMbkrrok.1 and is it good for pve?

This is the PVE one I have been using

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400dcrbd0oZ0cZG0rkrMhk.1

Although I am thinking of taking the point out of diversion and putting it into cover screen.

Edited by Destronicus

Yes, you do. It's kinda lame, but the way they set up the tier system you have to take at least 7 points in Tier 1 to get followthrough.

Personally, I'd replace Heavy Shot with Sector Ranger in his build. The knockback is useful, but it prevents you from using Ambush on some trash pulls if positioned awkwardly. Reducing the activation time on Orbital Strike is ALWAYS good though.

lol, you only need 5 points in tier 1 to progress.