SWTOR has finally hit the big time!!!!

Purloin

The same way you became so slow.

... And don't lie; you don't have a social life. ;)

Touche!

(Oops mistype replace the T with a D.)

:p

Anyway well done EA/BW.

It was a good episode and a great advert for the game.

Edited by Purloin

I am not sure why the Big Bang Theory is so popular - I find it terribly unfunny - but anyways I watched this episode because of the game and thought it was also terrible. Not to compare the games but when South Park did their WoW episode it was one of the funniest shows ever - and I don't even like WoW.

I guess people laugh at different things!

Wonder how much that cost EA? Probably not much, in the grand scheme of things. I'd guess around $1M.

If I had to guess, they're probably somehow linked by sister/parent companies and it cost them nothing.

The biggest example of this that always confused me was Disney and Miramax.

Go look at the movies each of those produces.... just ridiculously opposite one another.

And Miramax is owned by Disney.

Sorry off-topic, but legitimate response.

And... if you had any say from your company that was a sister company to one that ran TV shows, you wouldn't mind a little free endorsement/advertising, would you? Or would you despise yourself for trying to make more money? ;)

If I had to guess, they're probably somehow linked by sister/parent companies and it cost them nothing.

Well, Big Bang Theory is Time-Warner, and as far as I know, they haven't bought EA (yet)... the timing is fishy... this episode would have been written and filmed months ago...

I am not sure why the Big Bang Theory is so popular - I find it terribly unfunny - but anyways I watched this episode because of the game and thought it was also terrible. Not to compare the games but when South Park did their WoW episode it was one of the funniest shows ever - and I don't even like WoW.

LOL, I seriously think anyone that doesnt laugh WITH (not at) BBT is humor impaired.

Its quite possibly the greatest sit com to hit the air waves in the last 20 years (not counting South Park cause well South Park is perfect lol!). Season 1-2 were the best but this season has been strong.

As for how much it cost them, Im guessing quite abit!

Season was prewrote well over 6 months ago (and TOR has not had the cultural impact WOW had, not even remotely in the 2+ months its been out). And all that adds up to EA spending some well thought out and well placed dollars for a mention or three.

Very smart advertising on EA part but anyone thinking this is NOT bought and paid for Product placement is seriously delussional and misguided.

Right now in MMORPGs, even though I personally hate the game, WOW is the only MMORPG (or in TORs place simply a RPG) that would get mentioned with out paying for the advertising placement.

Still, smart move by EA. Big Bang Theory is a smash hit thats very mainsteam with the bonus of also being very bang on to their target demographic audience.

Well, Big Bang Theory is Time-Warner, and as far as I know, they haven't bought EA (yet)... the timing is fishy... this episode would have been written and filmed months ago...

LOL, exactly!

Thanks for seeing the whole picture on this!

Was starting to think I was alone :)

Edited by Kalfear

oh I'm pretty sure WoW was also just mentioned because Blizzard paid for it. ;)

but I agree, people who don't laugh when watching BBT are lost causes. (or they don't laugh about it because it's 'below' them to actually like something popular... y'know, like people who stopped liking the Flying Circus after Spam became an 'internet thing' :p)

oh I'm pretty sure WoW was also just mentioned because Blizzard paid for it. ;)

but I agree, people who don't laugh when watching BBT are lost causes. (or they don't laugh about it because it's 'below' them to actually like something popular... y'know, like people who stopped liking the Flying Circus after Spam became an 'internet thing' :p)

I would guess that Blizzard was closer to suing Trey Parker than paying him.

EDIT: OT, but once you've seen one episode of a Chuck Lorre show, you've seen them all. Big Bang Theory, 2 and a Half Men, Dharma and Greg, Mike and Molly... primetime sitcom commercialized garbage. How can you say Big Bang Theory ranks with The Office in the post-Seinfeld/Frasier landscape... my god.

Edited by face_hindu

Lol,,,

hardly feel a show aimed at nerds n geeks bigtime

Whoever it's aimed at, it's Thursday's #1-rated show (and Thursday is typically the weeks' #1 TV-viewing night).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/03/09/tv-ratings-thursday-big-bang-therory-beats-american-idol-again-person-of-interest-hits-highs-awake-drops-20/123798/

Believe it or not, it regularly comes in as TV's top scripted show in the ratings:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/28/tv-ratings-broadcast-top-25-academy-awards-towers-over-the-week-big-bang-theory-is-top-scripted-show/122163/

Just thought I'd add some perspective... ;)

I would guess that Blizzard was closer to suing Trey Parker than paying him.

EDIT: OT, but once you've seen one episode of a Chuck Lorre show, you've seen them all. Big Bang Theory, 2 and a Half Men, Dharma and Greg, Mike and Molly... primetime sitcom commercialized garbage. How can you say Big Bang Theory ranks with The Office in the post-Seinfeld/Frasier landscape... my god.

maybe because I've always hated Seinfield/Frasier?

but thanks for showing me that I was right (you hate what is popular by default)

Wonder how much that cost EA? Probably not much, in the grand scheme of things. I'd guess around $1M.

Speaking from experience (I used to work in television) it probably cost EA nothing. The writers probably heard about SWTOR and thought it would be funny to put into an episode (much like Blizzard probably didn't have to pay South Park to do an episode about WOW). It's mutually beneficial to both parties.

lol @ 1 million, I'd be surprised if Big Bang Theory's budget per episode is that much. On the off chance money was changing hands, it would've been Big Bang Theory paying EA to use their product, and it was probably under $10 grand.

Speaking from experience (I used to work in television) it probably cost EA nothing. The writers probably heard about SWTOR and thought it would be funny to put into an episode (much like Blizzard probably didn't have to pay South Park to do an episode about WOW). It's mutually beneficial to both parties.

lol @ 1 million, I'd be surprised if Big Bang Theory's budget per episode is that much. On the off chance money was changing hands, it would've been Big Bang Theory paying EA to use their product, and it was probably under $10 grand.

When did you work in television, 50 years ago? The salaries alone exceed 1 million per episode, which isn't a lot. Seinfeld and Friends main cast made $1 million each per episode in their last seasons.

Also, if you worked in television, you'd know that this episode was written before SWTOR even launched.

There's nothing wrong with product placement in TV... if you worked in television you'd know that. Popeye, for example, was just a shill for the spinach industry. (what were you by the way, a PA?)

Friend of mind kept telling me to watch that show, said how funny it was. I finally gave in and tried watching.

Was one of the stupiest and deffinitely unfunniest things I had ever seen. Some kid was singing something about a kitty cat while his mother was rubbing medicine on his chest. It lasted less than 5 minutes on my television screen. So I'm as confused as you are about why people could like this show. It was retarded - and if that's what passes for humor these days on television I feel sorry for people.

If anyone wants to watch a good show, I recommend Spartacus: Veangence. Now that is entertainment - not some dork and his mom singing a dumb-sounding song about a kitty cat...

Edited by JeremyDale

If anyone wants to watch a good show, I recommend Spartacus: Veangence. Now that is entertainment - not some dork and his mom singing a dumb-sounding song about a kitty cat...

You're talking to a group of people who think the epitome of humour is:

-an orange pixel

-a Skyrim quote, and

-a line from the Anarchy Online forums that some idiot named battlebug stole and re-posted here

Trying to tell someone that Big Bang Theory isn't funny is like someone trying to tell me that it is funny.

The biggest example of this that always confused me was Disney and Miramax.

Go look at the movies each of those produces.... just ridiculously opposite one another.

And Miramax is owned by Disney.

Sorry off-topic, but legitimate response.

And... if you had any say from your company that was a sister company to one that ran TV shows, you wouldn't mind a little free endorsement/advertising, would you? Or would you despise yourself for trying to make more money? ;)

Miramax was sold by Disney to Colony Capital in 2010, so they don't own it any more though they did for 17 years previous to that.