8 Hour Maintenance with no patch insight!

Vegetalink

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not uncommon, especially prior to large patches, for there to be long down-times without patches. It happens in every MMO. Usually this means that either hardware upgrades are being performed, that engineering changes are being made that will be required for an upcoming patch, or that they are patching the server with code from the big patch that is finished and tested but is not being turned on until the patch goes live (usually because other parts of the same patch are not quite through Q/A yet).

And? This is 2012, not your back in the days.
My point is, that so far, the maintenance schedule has been consistent, and I haven't personally seen any of the major problems that afflicted WoW and EQ when they were 3 months old.

No random client-side crashes. No server crashes that take hours to fix.

Yeah, it's not a perfect game... there are some problems. But if the big gripe is "Waaaah, I won't be able to play the game for eight hours on one day a week!", all I have to say is "So?"

The maintenance is in the wee hours of the morning, when most of the playerbase is probably asleep. (I happen to be a night owl, as I work the graveyard shift AND that's one of my days off, and I'm not complaining anywhere near the level that some of you are.)

they might be just preping the servers for the patch later... installing whatever needs it, doing a down and dirty cleaning of the gizmos, or idk, someone spilled coffee on the keyboards or something...

either way, I assume it's trying to gear up for 1.2 and make sure everything's ready for a smooth launch. cause I know I'd rather have 8hrs of time to sleep through or play outside before the patch... than have more than 8hrs of downtime after it! >)

I guess some people really just need something to whine about. guess it validates their life?

I work on large scale networks for a living...they need downtime for maintenance. most MMO's probably don't budget enough for the scale of networks that would allow enough redundancy to work on the network at any time.

even with Blizzards huge network, they have to drop things on occasion. most other companies have to rely on maintenance periods to get things done (which means everyone else)

Shutting the server down during AU prime time (from 6 PM AEST) is purely ludicrous. Sure it's cheaper to do it that way (shutting them down at the same time as the other servers across the world), but not by much.

A lot of us aussies come home from work on Tuesday (just like any other week day) and look forward to relaxing in front of SWTOR for a few hours. BW is doing this against our wishes.

This is the modern world. Everyone who is not happy with the prime time maintenance, cancel your subscription for a month. The loss in revenue will make BW sit up and take notice (it's all about the money).

I'll be cancelling my subscription because of this (don't want to pay a monthly fee and then not be able to play at prime time).

Shutting the server down during AU prime time (from 6 PM AEST) is purely ludicrous. Sure it's cheaper to do it that way (shutting them down at the same time as the other servers across the world), but not by much.

A lot of us aussies come home from work on Tuesday (just like any other week day) and look forward to relaxing in front of SWTOR for a few hours. BW is doing this against our wishes.

This is the modern world. Everyone who is not happy with the prime time maintenance, cancel your subscription for a month. The loss in revenue will make BW sit up and take notice (it's all about the money).

I'll be cancelling my subscription because of this (don't want to pay a monthly fee and then not be able to play at prime time).

Wait. So, let me get this strait. Bioware is taking the servers down for some server-side maintenance to make your game experience better, and you want to punish them for it? Servers go down. It happens. Usually, they aim for off-peak hours, but an eight hour shutdown will impact everybody. Just read a book or something.

Not all patches are client-side.

My point is, that so far, the maintenance schedule has been consistent, and I haven't personally seen any of the major problems that afflicted WoW and EQ when they were 3 months old.

No random client-side crashes. No server crashes that take hours to fix.

Yeah, it's not a perfect game... there are some problems. But if the big gripe is "Waaaah, I won't be able to play the game for eight hours on one day a week!", all I have to say is "So?"

The maintenance is in the wee hours of the morning, when most of the playerbase is probably asleep. (I happen to be a night owl, as I work the graveyard shift AND that's one of my days off, and I'm not complaining anywhere near the level that some of you are.)

Maintenance of 8 hours is a lot, you compare this to 12 or 8 years ago... let's look at more recent game like RIFT. Their maintenance downtime? Very little, 1 hour if I remember well?

The downtime is right into the peak time for Oceanic players (Australia / NZ)

Yes I can do something else one day a week, but then why should I pay the same as someone who can play 7 days...

For the millionth time.... maintenance starts at 2am CST and goes to 10AM CST because THEIR DIRECT SERVER USE DATA SHOWS IT TO BE THE LOWEST PLAYTIME GLOBALLY.

That means that there are other people in the world besides you.

*gasp*

For the millionth time.... maintenance starts at 2am CST and goes to 10AM CST because THEIR DIRECT SERVER USE DATA SHOWS IT TO BE THE LOWEST PLAYTIME GLOBALLY.

That means that there are other people in the world besides you.

*gasp*

Yes and that's very easy to say when you are not the one worst affected...

They may be seeding assets and some code prior to 1.2 because the patch sounds absolutely huge. Then when 1.2 comes around and takes like 24 hours to download and patch you would complain about that. So now, finished assets and code can be moved to the servers and downloaded to the client to save a big huge patch for 1.2. That is my theory anyway and what I would be doing to prep for 1.2.

Or maybe Bioware is just taking down the servers for 8 hours so no one complains that there is no patch on patch day. Or maybe they are doing it to simply annoy the crap out of their subscribers. /s

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.