Do I Look Fat In These Robes?

rhymston

Ya, the "robe" options are kind of dumb for the consular. One of our astute brethren found a vendor on Alderran with moddable pants:

I have found my first pair of orange pants (ie. fully moddable) at Alderran. They are on sale for the Alderran tokens (about 12 or 14 can't remember) and, unless I find a better pair, I will stick with them until end game.

Finally! No more dress :)

While I do agree that I wish we had more pant options, having played healer/mage types in many other mmos, it's a common mode of dress for these archetypes. In fact, Obi-wan Kenobi wore a full robe and he looked just fine in it. It's something you'll just have to get used to. And if you can't, then sadly you may want to play another class.

Given that all the interview and evidence points to the fact that Bioware has already invested tons of time into providing lots of options for the appearance of gear, it is unlikely they will be adding more gear anytime soon. I think they have enough on their hands to deal with.

Firstly, on a tangent topic, I always thought Palpatine got fatter in RotS once his face became corrupted... Turned out it was him wearing his Chancellor robes AND his sith robes over them xD

Secondly, the idea of robe wearing Jedi goes back to Lucas basing Jedi on Oriental Swordsman Monks (in fact IIRC one of the first actors offered the part of Obi-Wan was Japanese). The Jedi consular is the traditionalist, while the Knight is the one that does away with older traditions and wears up-to-date armor. Obi-Wan in Episode 4 (as said by poster above), Palpatine in RotJ (I know Mc Diarmid's costume was literally a kimono under a cloak/hood, not sure if Alec Guiness' was too) and many in extended universe (not to mention nearly every other archetypal caster since D&D and even Tolkein) wore robes....

Also, if you're worried about masculinity, you do know that robes were worn by men originally not women? Now if it's the actual style of robe, that's another thing, but from what I've seen I have nothing to complain about.

EDIT: Also, from a dev point of view, it's easier to make a robe look unique than a pants, especially for lightly armored classes.

Edited by Queen_Ultima

Ya, the "robe" options are kind of dumb for the consular. One of our astute brethren found a vendor on Alderran with moddable pants:

Thanks Lillysdad, that is good to know.

And FWIW, I don't mind Old Ben in a dress but my Twi'lek is a lady who looks smokin' hot in pants (and she knows it). As long as there is one Orange Pant "lower robe" (with mods slots) in the Universe, she is happy.

I wish they would restrict knight "lower body style" to:

-really short tunic "skirts"

-pants with boots

-capes that attach at neck and shoulders

and then give consulars:

-the open legged hanging cloths that knights current have

-the "open front" tuxedo tail look that knights currently have

-the really long, closed, tight "formal dress" robe that some people prefer

currently consulars seem to only get a few pant options and LOTS of long, formal dresses, knights seemingly get all of the cool tunic, battle robe lookin stuff

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping that maybe someday Bioware will take DCUO's idea and let you wear any style you have unlocked, regardless of what your wearing for acutal items.

Oh and color customization, thankful my toon dont look like a crayola box sneezed all over my "armor" like i have seen a few trooper's armor.

Edited by HellboundDrunk

I'm hoping that maybe someday Bioware will take DCUO's idea and let you wear any style you have unlocked, regardless of what your wearing for acutal items.

Oh and color customization, thankful my toon dont look like a crayola box sneezed all over my "armor" like i have seen a few trooper's armor.

DCUO's appearance tab + City of Heroes color customization options = win.

DCUO's appearance tab + City of Heroes color customization options = win.

Nothing out there has the character customiziation of COH... That and travel are areas that other MMO's could copy. It's something I really miss as a 7 year COH veteran.

Yeah, DCUO's system is a clever compromise between "appearance tab" and "progression" - it's not like CoX or CO where you have the whole menu available at any time (bar a few very rare unlocks), you still have to unlock pieces as you find them, as any normal gear-based game, but once they're unlocked, any combination of things you've already worn can be instantly recalled for appearance, no matter what your stat gear is. Neat.

There are also a number of pairs of pants availble from social venders @ social 2 that are orange - modable. If I remember right - the fleet commendation vender has a pair that is only social 1.

Since a recent patch, the fleet vendor now sells 3 different moddable pairs of pants. The new ones might require higher social rating, though, I don't remember offhand.

Also, to answer the OP :

- easiest moddable pants to obtain, as has already been mentioned, are with Alderaan commendations (Muse Lower Robe, IIRC)

- fleet vendor now sells three pairs of moddable pants

- check social vendors in cantinas on each planet to grab some local-looking moddable gear

- you can also drop non-moddable pants every now and then, but that's really the exception

In fact, Obi-wan Kenobi wore a full robe and he looked just fine in it.

It's not about the robes, it's about the skirts ("lower robes"...). Where did the jedi in the movies ever wear skirts (except maybe from the consular types that were only there to show in the jedi temple and never fought)...? Obi-Wan had pants under the robes. How do you stealth around and fight - slicing around with a double-bladed lightsaber on top of it - in a skirt? The assassin class' "role model" Darth Maul had pants. Jedi always had pants, just not that skinny as everyone has in the game... I think even Yoda had pants under his robes. Even the jedi in KOTOR had pants, but I guess in the last 300 years jedi fashion changed...

Btw, characters don't look fat in robes, in fact the male characters look ridicilous with these slim waists and those chests... I'm not sure the one who designed males in this game ever looked at their fellow people to see how humans look like in reality... Or maybe the goal was exactly to make them cartoonish superheros in pijamas or something. But oh well...

Edited by Slopback

EDIT: I should add, I go out of my way to look for robes for my Sith Jugg. Yeah, I'm tanking you Hugh Hefner-style, sucka!

Unfortunately, there are disappointingly few heavy armor skirts.

Edited by Euthenios

I'm 50 and still wearing the Balmorra Social Vendor pants. They're pretty ugly, but the alternatives are the ultrawhite muse pants with a stained crotch (what's up with that?), some black pants with a weird orangy brown thing on top, and other social pants that look even worse.

I'd really like that rectified.

As said, allowing us to alter our appearance more at will would be great, customizable gear is a good step towards that, but maybe a system where any item can be turned into a customizable one would be better (something for crafters to do?).

And while we're talking looks, what's up with the shoulderpad obsession? Especially the level 50 epic robes (Rakata and such). They'd look great without them, but with them they look ridiculous. Lower level ones aren't as bad, but i'm still not a fan of shoulderpads overall.

If they need ideas for epic consular robes they should check Atris and the Jedi Archives woman in EP2, those robes look great without having a thousand silly attachments.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.