The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cross-Server PvP is upcoming - Why?

ZeusThunder

Im so happy with rated wz and cross server wz soon!!

I hope they ll add arena too, and gnome race in next expansion...

Oh, and rename STAR WARS : The old republic into WOW Wars : The wow copy, that way it will attract more customers.

R O F L !!

For realz WoW is teh suck, pwease dont make Star Wars anymore like suck a** Wow

The sooner the WoW players go back to playing WoW...the better chance Star Wars has of being a success

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what happens when imps outnumber republic players as high as 4-1/5-1 on some servers.

Has little to do with it. If as you claim there is such a large imperial bias- that bias will still exist.

If you take five servers which have 100, 200, 300, 300 and 400 pubs and 600, 600, 500, 400, 300 imps each- you end up with 1300 pubs and 2400 imps- so the servers with bad ratios improve yes, but the ones with good ratios instead become awful ratios. This also does nothing at all for world pvp, where the ratios matter- and the ratios don't matter at all in WZ as you have same faction WZ to fix it up.

So, no, what you said has zero to do with this unless you haven't realized there's same faction WZ.

not read the entire thread, but my bet is mainly a population issue.

should 1.2 bring back the early rage quitters and solve a lot of issues, it may be delayed. have to wait sometimes upwards of 20 mins for a wz most days which isnt fun. i dont care who im killing frankly :D

Im so happy with rated wz and cross server wz soon!!

I hope they ll add arena too, and gnome race in next expansion...

Oh, and rename STAR WARS : The old republic into WOW Wars : The wow copy, that way it will attract more customers.

wow copy? try actually playing the game then comment...

Cross server ques = great for any game, arena not so much, but always some complacent kids that wont be happy...

Best part is the 80% of those that scream that "Cross server PvP" is good, say that "Cross server PvE" is a bad thing? Where the hell is logic in it?

Anywho, dont realy care much as this game is slowly digging its own grave. Insted of trying to be best at what it is, it copy more and more things from the other so called n1 MMO out there.

I am not saying its a bad thing to do, but people are already bored by the other MMO for a reason.And once they realise this is a much quicker version of that game, just with glow sticks they will leave for somthing better. Either it be GW2, Planetside 2 or the Warhammer 40k.

But there is still lots of time that people gona throw away at this game, so dont worry ;p

Best part is the 80% of those that scream that "Cross server PvP" is good, say that "Cross server PvE" is a bad thing? Where the hell is logic in it?

Anywho, dont realy care much as this game is slowly digging its own grave. Insted of trying to be best at what it is, it copy more and more things from the other so called n1 MMO out there.

I am not saying its a bad thing to do, but people are already bored by the other MMO for a reason.And once they realise this is a much quicker version of that game, just with glow sticks they will leave for somthing better. Either it be GW2, Planetside 2 or the Warhammer 40k.

But there is still lots of time that people gona throw away at this game, so dont worry ;p

Digging its own grave? 4 months out and more content than any other mmo period, copying stuff? its common sense on most of the updates like cross server etc, to each there own on opinions but there will always be upset ragers like this...

Digging its own grave? 4 months out and more content than any other mmo period, copying stuff? its common sense on most of the updates like cross server etc, to each there own on opinions but there will always be upset ragers like this...

Well ofcause its a good thing, I did not say it was not. What I did say is having WoW with glowsticks that take 3 times quicker to finish, is sure like hell not gona bring the 6 mil subs that are in WoW... Just saying.

But no, nothing wrong in using a sucesfulle formula to creat a game... I mean look at how much money MW3 got ;p That said, still majority of FPS player think MW3 is garbadge but still play it. Just to put it in prespective

Edited by OldxLady

im glad their doin cross server. my server completely died out in almst all aspects. their maybe 2 or 3 guild for both factions that pvp endgame.

i dont even get ques anymore unless we go and ask the other guild to que up. and then when they do its a complete slaughterhouse. hopefully with cross server the que times will become a bit more regular..... :D

Well ofcause its a good thing, I did not say it was not. What I did say is having WoW with glowsticks that take 3 times quicker to finish, is sure like hell not gona bring the 6 mil subs that are in WoW... Just saying.

But no, nothing wrong in using a sucesfulle formula to creat a game... I mean look at how much money MW3 got ;p That said, still majority of FPS player think MW3 is garbadge but still play it. Just to put it in prespective

You're mad its ok, comparison is way off, honestly just go back to wow, the only thing your doing here is throwing a upset fit at various updates/changes like the 1/10 players out there, so just go eh? i know wishful thinking...

There's no reasonable reason for cross server warzones.

The reasons people give and the reasons it makes no sense:

1) Shorter queues. Wait, what? How does having 100 people in the pool vs 1000 people in the pool make a queue for your 16 man game shorter? It doesn't, because you're still going to have the exact same time for a game for the first 6 games in the 100 people scenario, and the first 62 games in the 1000 people scenario. The ONLY time it makes queues faster is if you didn't have 16 people to start a game at all, and if a server doesn't have 16 people who are wanting to do a warzone, there are far larger issues than warzone queues.

LOL! 100 people queuing? What server are YOU on?

On my low-pop one, we're lucky to have enough reps queuing for 2 simultaneous warzones. On certain times of the day, we don't have enough to even fill one.

ALSO... you do realize that they're going to prioritize people in your server right? So if you don't narrow down your choice, you could very well be playing with people entirely from your server.

It sounds like a great compromise to me.

Edited by Stenrik

I'd like to know what community we're trying to save here. Is it the the folks in Gen chat spamming the "anal" convo from WoW? Is it the epeen flexing of every 14 year old on server over raid accomplishments? Is it the instant flaming of a person who may ask the simplest of questions in Gen chat cause they're new? Is it being bored in fleet after a couple hours of pvp then wanting to run a HMFP just to break things up then spend another hour or 2 spamming general chat yet no groups are running? Now don't get me wrong, the first 2 are completely amusing for me to watch, but if that's the community I'm trying to save, then eh...I can do without.

I'm looking forward to cross-server. I do get sick of seeing the same repub's over...and over...and over and going against the same imps in Huttball over....and over...and over...and over. It would be nice to see a bunch of new faces once in a while just to mix things up.

Now as for Huttball, the only matches I see are imp v imp or imp v repub. Whatever happened to the randomness of this WZ and having it just mix up the teams at random? I can't honestly remember when I was on a mixed imp/repub team in Huttball. OH well..

I'm sorry you don't want to hurt your precious "community" but I was forced to reroll because I can't even get a warzone queue until peak time on my dead server, and even then they don't always completely fill.

It may be nice to be on a heavy server with tons and tons of 50s to queue into but cross server is mandatory now or people like me will just end up quitting and you won't have anyone to play with.

Also, for rated pvp it's also mandatory because most servers will have 2 teams at best and that doesn't make for very competitive play.

Why they put in rated before cross server is a mystery. A very stupid design decision imo.

There's no reasonable reason for cross server warzones.

The reasons people give and the reasons it makes no sense:

1) Shorter queues. Wait, what? How does having 100 people in the pool vs 1000 people in the pool make a queue for your 16 man game shorter? It doesn't, because you're still going to have the exact same time for a game for the first 6 games in the 100 people scenario, and the first 62 games in the 1000 people scenario. The ONLY time it makes queues faster is if you didn't have 16 people to start a game at all, and if a server doesn't have 16 people who are wanting to do a warzone, there are far larger issues than warzone queues.

2) Even out the population. Wait, what? By their own admission, there is a 57-43 split of Imperial to Republic, with the PVP servers being worse (I notice they didn't say how much worse, but based off my own experience playing both sides on my pvp server, I can guess). Now, sure, this means if you are on a pvp server with say...a 70-30 split, you'll be able to take advantage of a 57-43 split, but it goes both ways. The guy on a pve server that had a 50-50 split is now going to be facing a 57-43 split as well. And, this all seems pointless anyways when they said warzones will be both faction vs faction as well as same faction vs same faction, meaning evening out the population doesn't actually matter.

So...I agree, OP. Bioware, why? As you said with the dungeon finder question, you think community is important. Right now, you know the people you fight, so you are more emotionally invested. Once it goes cross server, the enemy is going to become nameless automatons you'll hardly ever see again (if ever). That sure seems to help the community! And, as I've already pointed out above, there doesn't seem to be any upside we gain from destroying the community.

So....why do it?

Reasons to make cross server PVP:

1. A lot of servers are dead. It takes me forever to get in a WZ and over half of them die because there aren't enough people. Cross server gives me a pool of players to draw from that my single server does not.

2. Even the populated servers are "lower" population than you think and it will end up being a very limited number of people competing against each other which is not good for ranking systems. Lower population bases = less churn = the bottom stay on bottom the top stay on top and the bottom eventually simply stop playing.

Reasons to merge low population servers instead of making cross server PVP:

See 1 and 2.

They have to do one or the other, they 'can' do both but they HAVE to do one or the other. If they don't half of their servers will just get frustrated and the populations will drop even more.

Cross Server PVP is not wanted, but is NEEDED.

Im on a pvp server, Scepter of Ragnos.

At peak times between 6pm -9pm we have 5 Imperial 8 man groups and 2 Republic 8 man groups.

These groups are their for their daily warzone wins in most cases. These groups die off quickly. From 10pm onwards you see about 3 imperial 8 man groups and 1 Republic group. By 12, PVP is dead, no warzones happening.

Most of the regular pvpers are Hard copre pvpers, who dont pve. The PVE'ers have since quit till 1.2 and its only speculation that they will return and theyre not waiting on the ranked pvp.

Other pvpers on my server are those rerolling or new players whatever flavour of the month is (alot of non geared Snipers about) Who just drag the team down as they have 1 or 2 peices of centurion if your lucky.

Rated games where the only opponents available are either scrubs or Hard core pre-mades and come 8 man pvp, alot of folks are stuck facing 8 man hard core 3000k rating skilled pvpers means there is only one bracket of pvp, those who win 100% and those who lose 100%. No close matches, not balanced in skill/gear.

(Scrubs - standing at the goal line / edge to range dps the opponents marauder/Juggernaut ball carrier every single match sort of PVP skills; These alone KILL the pvp on the server alone. From doing pvp dailies regularly to doing 3 in two weeks for Battlemaster tokens because the PUG pvp groups are horrendous

Id rather PVP agains MY servers republic. Familiar names and respect to those great enemy pvpers not some random named individual you cant show any respect with because you never see them again.

Edited by TheRedNalroni

the fact is most people DO want cross server. we want FP finders and operation finders too. most servers are dead or dying. there are only 2 well populated servers in the US. the other 20 or so are pathetically empty. you have obviously never experienced pvp on a dying server. considering the lack of server merges and character transfers, the only way to provide a gaming experience for the many players who dont wana reroll their lvl 40-50 is to implement cross server ques.

Yeah this "community" thing is a lot of BS. I recognize tons of ppl in my server and if I want to play with them, I'll group with them.

This isn't SWG. No one cares about your little moisture farm community.

This desire for community by some is just a masked desire for control. They want to be able to dictate the play of those they consider inferior and for that to work, they need many other people to side with them.

Most of us are here to play a game, not build a village where "community builders" get to play Judge, Jury, and Executioner for other people's playtime.

This desire for community by some is just a masked desire for control. They want to be able to dictate the play of those they consider inferior and for that to work, they need many other people to side with them.

Most of us are here to play a game, not build a village where "community builders" get to play Judge, Jury, and Executioner for other people's playtime.

You are so incorrect I dont even know where to start....and actually i could turn that around and say..'Well you cross server people are so scared of getting owned every night on your own server and being labled as a bad player...thats why you want cross server pvp"

See how that works?

I really wish all of you got to experience pvp in DAoC or hell any other game besides WoW, then you would understand why we KNOW that cross-server pvp is dumb. It lets bad players keep playing bad and really no motivation for them to get better, cuz they will never fight the same enemy

I think cross server pvp is a great idea. Bioware didn't say it would be a mix of all NA servers, it could simply be a system mixing some high population and low population servers to speed up ques. Either way you will still see lots of people from your own server and it allows for you to pvp whenever you want all day everyday.

What I would like to see with the new system is class limits in warzones. For example, playing teams with 4 healers when you have 1 is pointless and a waste of time. In competitive games there is always a class limit so skill and teamwork can outweigh pure dumb luck and class imbalance.

because bioware doesnt think adressing faction imbalance head on is a good idea. They would have make wookies playable/alien races they think this legacy pos is going to solve faction imbalance.

Apparently were trading have voiced people for quest getting and turn ins for no wookies and making rep side more better and appealing to people.

You dont want cross server pvp hold bioware accountable for not adressing the issue head on. Same faction pvp doesnt solve it this legacy wont solve it. Cross server wont solve it either but at least people on low pop server will que more since theyre screwing off with server merges/transfers.

Let's hear some of your suggestions about how to fix population imbalances. I am dying to hear them.

R O F L !!

For realz WoW is teh suck, pwease dont make Star Wars anymore like suck a** Wow

The sooner the WoW players go back to playing WoW...the better chance Star Wars has of being a success

Yes, we get it. Hating on WoW makes you cool. Congratulations.

Now, do you have anything relevant to say?

You are so incorrect I dont even know where to start....and actually i could turn that around and say..'Well you cross server people are so scared of getting owned every night on your own server and being labled as a bad player...thats why you want cross server pvp"

See how that works?

I really wish all of you got to experience pvp in DAoC or hell any other game besides WoW, then you would understand why we KNOW that cross-server pvp is dumb. It lets bad players keep playing bad and really no motivation for them to get better, cuz they will never fight the same enemy

The second you start calling other people bad is the second I dismiss you as a self-absorbed "I'm the most awesome thing in the MMO world ever" type of person.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.