The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Clearing up the facts about Pyrotech.

Theology

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not about to go and call Powertech/Vanguard OP. I'll level up Vanguard myself to 50 in order to deepen my understanding of what I can do to counter them on my main. However I can say that I dread the day where I see multiple well geared and properly modded Powertech/Vanguard DPS in the warzones, because right now I'm already barely able to survive a single good Powertech 1 on 1 and have had healers get squished through guard in a prolonged group fight with a good PT in the mix. I can't imagine how quickly the fights will end when more of them around.

That said, things are no where near as difficult as DPS Powertechs/Vanguards are saying that it is though.

so....you can beat a Van/pyro right now but saying/wondering if they are OP..

An equally geared and decent marauder can easily beat a powertech, no problem.

That's because they have a plethora of defensive CDs. There's a reason why many people say Marauder and Sentinels are hands down the best 1 on 1 PVP class.

I only said respectable, I never said awesome though but fair enough.

I honestly haven't ever been hit with a 6k railshot, myself. I'm more than willing to believe that a 5k - 5.7k crit is a rare thing. However there something that the Powertech/Vanguard DPSers needs to realize.

It's not that single crit alone that makes a Powertech/Vanguard dangerous. They don't output damage the same way as a Juggernaut does with a Smash.

For starters, you guys don't do a single huge monster crit. You guys put out good -STRINGS- of attacks that does painful damage, just like the OP listed and then follow it up with a painful Railshot that penetrates 90% of armour.

It isn't about that single powerful railshot crit. It is the large amount of damage that you guys are doing with a series of front loaded attacks that far surpasses the single chunk of a buffed smash. As the OP himself have said, that is roughly ~15k damage in total.

15k damage isn't a small number that's close to 90% of the average Champion/BM geared player's health pool. Juggernauts only have enough steam and CDs to pop off a Force Scream after expending focus to focus bomb.

Does this make Powertech/Vanguard OP though? I'm not saying that yet. I'll do a more thorough research, but they sure as heck aren't as disadvantaged as the defenders of the ACs are claiming and I certainly do dread having to deal with more than one well played Powertech/Vanguard. They might have their bad luck streaks, but right now the odds are usually against the victims.

HAHAHAHAHA! Don't even try to compare Vanguards to Powertechs. Your glorious Pyro Powertech is hell alot more OP than the Vanguard counterpart. If it is not overpowered then tell me how the hell I am supposed to kill a damn Pyro Powertech alone as a Gunnery Commando. You tell me!!

HAHAHAHAHA! Don't even try to compare Vanguards to Powertechs. Your glorious Pyro Powertech is hell alot more OP than the Vanguard counterpart. If it is not overpowered then tell me how the hell I am supposed to kill a damn Pyro Powertech alone as a Gunnery Commando. You tell me!!

I think you may have clicked the wrong thread as this response makes zero sense.

Theres a Powertech that recently went to Pyro on Mindtrick, BM /w a few Rakkata and just dropped his BM pieces for Champ BH Eliminator set. After a number of matches this morning he did as much or considerably more DPS and kills than my Merc in all Champ using the same spec. For a full match I was hitting 300-320k a match, he was hitting 320-400k.

Not saying Pyro Powertech is OP or underpowered, just throwing the comparison out there. Haven't played Powertech yet, but I would have figured I'd eclipse him on damage with the 4-5 well placed Death from Aboves.

Theres a Powertech that recently went to Pyro on Mindtrick, BM /w a few Rakkata and just dropped his BM pieces for Champ BH Eliminator set. After a number of matches this morning he did as much or considerably more DPS and kills than my Merc in all Champ using the same spec. For a full match I was hitting 300-320k a match, he was hitting 320-400k.

Not saying Pyro Powertech is OP or underpowered, just throwing the comparison out there. Haven't played Powertech yet, but I would have figured I'd eclipse him on damage with the 4-5 well placed Death from Aboves.

Apples to Oranges, even though the base class is the same between Merc/PT. As a merc you have more tools to keep a person off you and keep yourself alive then a pyrotech does. You can't just look at the damage of a class and make an assessment between the two without giving a fair comparison to all the abilities.

so....you can beat a Van/pyro right now but saying/wondering if they are OP..

Yes, I can barely beat the ones who doesn't mod their gear but know what attacks to hit. I'm humble enough to call them good. The ones that knows what attacks to hit and actually modded their gear properly? Like the one in my screenshot. They don't even need RNG procs to tear down 50% of my HP within three seconds.

I don't know if you have selective reading process or just have an unique way of comprehending things like our friend -nuc- up there before he got his inflammatory post edited by the mods, but what you're interpreting is different from what I wrote. Don't blame me for your own failings in that area, sir.

I haven't exhausted my own due diligence, and that's to level up a 50 Vanguard myself to further my knowledge so I'm not going to act hysterical like most of the forum populations and screaming, "OP OP OP!"

I can acknowledge that I'm frightened by the damage output of the AC, and I have provided my reasons for such. If you're going to fail to read something I've blatantly highlight in yellow for the attention deficit disorder crowds, then I don't think there's nothing more I can discuss with you.

lol inconsitent dmg?

please, every BM pt pyro on my server CONSISTENTLY blows up anything in front of him

the class is faceroll

you think mercs and sorcs are facerolll?

pt pyros have NOTHING to cast, no activation times...

theres no counter to it, no interrupting..

5k crits 3k crits everything instant and unstoppable...

the class needs to be touched, either add an activation time to rail shot or nerf its dmg.

lol inconsitent dmg?

please, every BM pt pyro on my server CONSISTENTLY blows up anything in front of him

There are only two decent Pyro PTs on our server (maybe 3, but that's a long stretch),since well, we are on the same server. The rest are terrible or spec'd a dumb shield hybrid... =/

Edited by exphryl

The irony and ignorance of what you wrote is staggering. You tunnel vision on the crit alone, while I'm talking about the string of attacks and DoTs that follows in rapid successions. If your argument begins and stop with the 5.7 crit alone then walk away, I have no need to speak to an ignorant player, it's a waste of my time.

You act as if Flame Burst / Unload / Rapid Shots doesn't do respectable damage on par with other DPS classes.

Finally the most ironic thing. 7k smashes is a tremendously rare thing, requiring EV level mod drops on all the gear, popping CDs and buffs to do. I was conservative when I said 5k crits aren't as rare and elusive as people claim, not 5.7k (of which I had a screenshot to back up my claims), and certainly not 6k. Yet you're coming in here with inflated numbers after accusing others of such, this is truly a DERP-quality read.

The burst that this class can do is monstrous, good is frankly an understatement. 6.5k crits and having a 9 second lull is something people can count on every single time and every class can counter it because they have a stun or knockback, some have both. Getting a thermal detonator thrown on you, and then being DoTed up, eating multiple 2k, 3k, 4k hits non-stop until death is even worst than a single 6.5k smash because at least the spikes ends there unless you stick around for the Ravage.

Frankly they need to tone down the damage and make it consistent, more survivability is absurd from what I'm seeing in warzones, but more mobility is perfectly reasonable.

That said, stop putting your feet in your own mouth and wasting my time.

---EDIT: Actually, welcome to the ignore list. The level of DERPness that I've witness in your post is so staggering that I really can't bring any hope that you can come up with any convincing argument with any tangible evidence. There'll be other people who disagrees with what I say, but they'll have done so that earns my respect and compels deeper thinking. You on the other hand will probably only drag this into a flame fest.

You're that guy that got unlucky and got crit on by all attacks and got an unlucky rail crit of 5.7k so youre in here to cry nerf. Well i'll tell you to do the same thing that everyone else says aobut everything, ready? 'You could have stunned him and waited for his temps to go away or you could have just LOS'd him.'

Get real man, Pyro is a gamble of a spec, sometimes you get lucky and alot of times you dont. Flame burst does 1.3k damage and unload does maybe, at most, 3k damage fully channeled. You are so over exaggeraitng the numbers its absurd.

BTW, you're the one who started attacking personally, not I.

Yes, I can barely beat the ones who doesn't mod their gear but know what attacks to hit. I'm humble enough to call them good. The ones that knows what attacks to hit and actually modded their gear properly? Like the one in my screenshot. They don't even need RNG procs to tear down 50% of my HP within three seconds.

I don't know if you have selective reading process or just have an unique way of comprehending things like our friend -nuc- up there before he got his inflammatory post edited by the mods, but what you're interpreting is different from what I wrote. Don't blame me for your own failings in that area, sir.

I haven't exhausted my own due diligence, and that's to level up a 50 Vanguard myself to further my knowledge so I'm not going to act hysterical like most of the forum populations and screaming, "OP OP OP!"

I can acknowledge that I'm frightened by the damage output of the AC, and I have provided my reasons for such. If you're going to fail to read something I've blatantly highlight in yellow for the attention deficit disorder crowds, then I don't think there's nothing more I can discuss with you.

honestly that post reminds me of WOW paladin nerf bubble threads.. you see people would post nerf bubble because they had to kill them twice never mind the fact that they killed them or that really they killed 2 people but that bubble is OP..

i have a 50 vanguard and the damage output is hit or miss...its all proc based by procing HIP and then by procing crits to do any REAL damage compared to my sentinel...

i stopped playing it because the damage sucks and the class has no real options...

So much QQ. If you want balance play BF3 or COD. MMOs will always have class balance issues. Some ppl should just not pvp. The cantina is a better place for some. Edited by CommunitySupportEN

Sure Powertechs/Vanguards hit hard..... the issue is, in order to do that massive damage they have to use almost all of their resources. Which leaves a decent amount of downtime between kills.

I can melt that sorc/sage but his buddy who jumps on me right after is going to have a major advantage if I'm at >50% heat.

Plus we are squishy, get 2 people, any class focusing on a PT/VG and watch how fast they drop.

You guys sound like you are talking about 1v1 encounters, we all know this game is not balanced for that. That being said, most PT/VG's will wreck MOST (not all) classes 1v1. A Marauder will wreck ANY class in 1v1... but 1v1 is not the point.

Again..... a PT/VG will blast you to hell and back, but be worthless after that until they can get their heat back down.

That's roughly ~15k damage spread over 5 GCDs with all of our temporary buffs

I couldn't do 15k damage over 5 GCDs with any combination of my abilities. And I'm a Sentinel. The max dps class.

Pyrotech is spiky as hell. Sometimes insane damage. Sometimes not. Reminds me of a class in WoW that could do similar things. (Shamans with Windfury)

What happened? Got nerfed. I think Pyrotechs need a bit of evening out on the ends of their damage spectrum.

Edited by EternalFinality

I couldn't do 15k damage over 5 GCDs with any combination of my abilities. And I'm a Sentinel. The max dps class.

Pyrotech is spiky as hell. Sometimes insane damage. Sometimes not. Reminds me of a class in WoW that could do similar things. (Shamans with Windfury)

What happened? Got nerfed. I think Pyrotechs need a bit of evening out on the ends of their damage spectrum.

You are a sentinel.... I have a marauder as well, my main is a PT. You cannot tell me that your sentinel will not wreck a PT every single time, unless for what ever reason every single one of your def CD's are down.... in which case you are just a bad sentinel.

Pyrotechs indeed do a lot of burst damage.... but once they do that burst, they are useless, pretty much full heat and they will not be able to burst like that again until they drop in heat..... Which leaves them wide open to get wrecked as they have no way of getting out of a situation.

You are a sentinel.... I have a marauder as well, my main is a PT. You cannot tell me that your sentinel will not wreck a PT every single time, unless for what ever reason every single one of your def CD's are down.... in which case you are just a bad sentinel.

Well geared Powertechs can wreck me...sometimes. I can't do much to them except attack and hope I do enough damage to him before he kills me. There's very little finesse to such encounters.

So the powertech got a 5.7k crit..with EVERY cooldown he has popped. That's not that impressive and is weak compared to what other classes can get in terms of a big number. (7.5k smashes that are also AOE) You also don't mention that if he gets unlucky (which happens more often times than not) that his only option is to spam you with flame burst/unload/rapid shots. Stop exaggerating the damage output. Fact is, it can have good damage out put, or be down right horrible. Luck of the draw.

Haha those Smashes just keep getting bigger and bigger. 7.5k is the biggest exaggeration I've seen yet. And no, most classes can't crit for 5.7k...lol. Hopefully lessening this insane burst is what BW had in mind when they said BH are getting a nerf. BW seems to love nerfing the low population classes (and thank god Powertechs are low pop otherwise nobody would survive longer than 5 seconds). Seems like they aren't willing to nerf Sorcs to prove some inane point that they know better, but hopefully they'll nerf over the top burst like this. PT burst is currently greater than Operative burst at their peak.

Well geared Powertechs can wreck me...sometimes. I can't do much to them except attack and hope I do enough damage to him before he kills me. There's very little finesse to such encounters.

"Somtimes" they can wreck you.... either because they got the drop on you and caught you at a disadvantage OR they got REALLY lucky with their procs.

Pryotechs and whatever the vanguard mirror is are one trick ponies...... they can usually lay waste to 1 person and then prey no one attacks them. If some one attacks them after they burst someone down, they will die because there is nothing they can do about it.

My annihilation spec marauder can kill one person and if someone else attacks after that, I can lay down damage even faster on the second person then the 1st given the nature of the class..... and if it looks like I may lose I can get out of the situation. Pyrotechs do not have this luxury.

10 seconds of burst, 10-15 seconds of hopefully avoiding death to do it again.

The one other option pyroechs have is they can do somewhat decent sustained damage from range... but they drop the option to proc for more burst. So if left unchecked they can get really nice damage numbers at the end of the match, but still not as good as the other ranged dps classes.

Haha those Smashes just keep getting bigger and bigger. 7.5k is the biggest exaggeration I've seen yet. And no, most classes can't crit for 5.7k...lol. Hopefully lessening this insane burst is what BW had in mind when they said BH are getting a nerf. BW seems to love nerfing the low population classes (and thank god Powertechs are low pop otherwise nobody would survive longer than 5 seconds). Seems like they aren't willing to nerf Sorcs to prove some inane point that they know better, but hopefully they'll nerf over the top burst like this. PT burst is currently greater than Operative burst at their peak.

Operatives can stealth. PT's can stand around useless until they can burst again. Usually they are dead or close to death waiting for this to happen.