Server population is dropping...

Miffy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people are gonna leave if this doesnt get sorted. our server is bottom 3 for population for EU PVP. this doesnt warrant £9 a month and it needs to be sorted. it should be top priority because the game is great just sort out the servers!

Thy just need to allow server transfers. When introduced allow the first one or two transfers to be free and then each one after that costs a certain amount.

I would love to be able to move my Commando from the lousy PvE server my friends (who I no longer play with) to a busier PvP server.

They should consider merging some of the low populated servers.

It is VERY demotivating to log in on Ilum, with only 3 players, and there are 12 on the Imperial Fleet.

It is impossible to get a flashpoint group, dailies or even a PVP group.

And since I really can't find anything to do as level 50, I am already considering if I want to continue playing this game. Right now I am paying for nothing, and I feel stuck.

Not really the experience I was hoping for.

It is nice that a new patch is coming up, however people will not stay for that reason.

They should consider merging some of the low populated servers.

It is VERY demotivating to log in on Ilum, with only 3 players, and there are 12 on the Imperial Fleet.

It is impossible to get a flashpoint group, dailies or even a PVP group.

And since I really can't find anything to do as level 50, I am already considering if I want to continue playing this game. Right now I am paying for nothing, and I feel stuck.

Not really the experience I was hoping for.

It is nice that a new patch is coming up, however people will not stay for that reason.

I hear ya. In the same boat. However, I see a great deal of potential with this game. Hopefully the Devs see it as well.

For starters:

Historical WoW Subscription Numbers:

World of Warcraft launched in 2004 and hit roughly 2 million subscribers by mid 2005. That was considered a huge number and marked WoW as a run away success. By 2006 WoW had hit 6 million subscriptions, then 8 million by 2007, and 9 million the year after. Nothing else had come close to those numbers.

So based on that, just months after release, SWTOR is doing just fine, it took WOW a WHOLE YEAR to reach 2 million subscribers, and has taken nearly 8 years to reach roughly 10-12 million subscribers

in just a few months SWTOR has hit nearly 2million, what more do you want?

WOW was never a polished game when released, as is most games, quit complaining and play the game, more features get added each patch just like blizz did with wow, or any other developer with their games.

your all trying to compare it with wow's 12 million subscribers (which has 8 years under its belt to gain its population, which is dropping by the way)

So imo this game is a success, and is on par with WOW's success, more patches and added features will only improve the game from what it currently is at and more people will start playing as time goes by

I 100% do not believe the numbers swtor has. Even if they are true.. Which I doubt... I bet loads of these are the people like myself who bough 3 months subscriptions but left the game way earlier after realising even bio ware doesn't like this game

I 100% do not believe the numbers swtor has. Even if they are true.. Which I doubt... I bet loads of these are the people like myself who bough 3 months subscriptions but left the game way earlier after realising even bio ware doesn't like this game

nor do i believe blizzards numbers for world of warcraft, heck they just cut down on the number of their employee's (does that tell you something, in their words they have too many employee's to pay wages for), as far as im aware they've lost nearly 2-4 million subscribers in the last year

The fact is not how good the game is doing on subscriptions, and that it takes time to establish a good functional operating game.

It is like a manager who place all his logic on ratios, and in the end this is all about money, and if the consumers are disliking their product they will stop, which will turn into bad publicity and their monthly income will fall.. etc.

The fact is, that people are leaving the servers. (deflation).

The problem for me is not whether the game has several bugs or not. The problem is that I have nothing to use my spare time on ingame (and I do even pay for that). The lack of people to do flashpoint, PVP and Raids with, are so low on my server, that there is really nothing to do when you log in, and I am not paying just to do dailies and achievements…

So I believe they should act now, and merge some of the servers instead of hesitate and let the low populated servers die out by time.

"Cost-benefit (saving the small populations, might be those who are willing to pay more in the end, they could even be the most loyal consumers, who knows)"

Edited by Stoid

+1

I actually really liked this game. And really tried to hang in there. But everyone i started to play with has quit, and all the random acquaintances i found in game has stopped loggin in.

The low pop servers are dying fast.. And even thou BW states they're working on transfers asap, It's not fast enuff. They should've just put the legacy on a bit of hold If that's what complicates it and push the merges/transfers.....

For starters:

World of Warcraft launched in 2004 and hit roughly 2 million subscribers by mid 2005. That was considered a huge number and marked WoW as a run away success. By 2006 WoW had hit 6 million subscriptions, then 8 million by 2007, and 9 million the year after. Nothing else had come close to those numbers.

So based on that, just months after release, SWTOR is doing just fine, it took WOW a WHOLE YEAR to reach 2 million subscribers, and has taken nearly 8 years to reach roughly 10-12 million subscribers

WOW was never a polished game when released, as is most games, quit complaining and play the game, more features get added each patch just like blizz did with wow, or any other developer with their games.

your all trying to compare it with wow's 12 million subscribers (which has 8 years under its belt to gain its population, which is dropping by the way)

So imo this game is a success, and is on par with WOW's success, more patches and added features will only improve the game from what it currently is at and more people will start playing as time goes by

You do realize that when WOW came out, MMO's were no where near as mainstream as they are now. WOW made it capable for mmo's that suck today to still get 2 million subs off the bat due to hype.

Just look at the new IPAD for an example.

For starters:

Sigh, not another "But but but WoW wasn't a god game at release" post.

Listen buddy. This isn't 2003. The market has changed and so has technology.

100% agree. Although BW doesn't have 8 years under its belt to work out bugs etc., they DO have 8 years of a model to find out what works and what doesn't work for people. Surely someone at BW played WOW enough to know people like customization, from characters to UI's.

For starters:

Want to know a huge difference between WoW and ToR comparing them as freshly released MMO games? A few months post launch the lands and cities of Azeroth were teeming with players and those populations were growing. You couldn't walk 10 paces without bumping into dozens and dozens of players whether is was in the Barrens in a capitol city.

ToR is already a ghost town on many servers and based on player observations those populations are decreasing. I know it's anecdotal, but on my server at prime time back in December/January there was well over 250 people in fleet and putting together groups was a snap (especially since I played a tank). Now at primetime, I'm lucky to see 75 people in fleet and getting groups can take 60-90 minutes.

Last night I was on my level 12 alt (since sitting in fleet for 30-45 trying to put a group together for a HM was an abject failure) I went to Drommund Kass to level. Mind you, this was around 10 pm CST so a little after primetime, but I was running around Kass city and even though there was ~20 people on the planet I didn't run into a single person in the city. It felt like an abandoned ghost town.

100% agree. Although BW doesn't have 8 years under its belt to work out bugs etc., they DO have 8 years of a model to find out what works and what doesn't work for people. Surely someone at BW played WOW enough to know people like customization, from characters to UI's.

100% agree. It's like the dev team they hired at Bioware to produce ToR never worked on a MMO before. Hello people, MMOs aren't new!!! ToR is no different today for the most part than EQ was back in 1999. Yet ToR launched without many components that MMO gamers today take for granted as standard fare. Rift comes to mind as probably an example of a MMO that launched with (most of) the right components. Rift's problem was that it was just another sword & sorcery MMO, of which the market is inundated.

One thing I'm starting to wonder is if the engine Bioware licensed was so shoddy that the true problem with ToR is that the game can't handle too many players in one place at any give time, thus necessitating a very low player population per server in order to maintain decent performance. Seems most servers have a population at peak times of 500-1,500 players. This few players, spread amongst 50 character levels, spread amongst a dozen plus planets, spread amongst warzones and space ships translates to simply very few players in the same area at any given time thus creating the ghost town effect.

Server mergers may simply be out of the question because doubling or even tripling server populations may make the game unplayable due to server side lag/low frame rates.

Want to know a huge difference between WoW and ToR comparing them as freshly released MMO games? A few months post launch the lands and cities of Azeroth were teeming with players and those populations were growing. You couldn't walk 10 paces without bumping into dozens and dozens of players whether is was in the Barrens in a capitol city.

ToR is already a ghost town on many servers and based on player observations those populations are decreasing. I know it's anecdotal, but on my server at prime time back in December/January there was well over 250 people in fleet and putting together groups was a snap (especially since I played a tank). Now at primetime, I'm lucky to see 75 people in fleet and getting groups can take 60-90 minutes.

Last night I was on my level 12 alt (since sitting in fleet for 30-45 trying to put a group together for a HM was an abject failure) I went to Drommund Kass to level. Mind you, this was around 10 pm CST so a little after primetime, but I was running around Kass city and even though there was ~20 people on the planet I didn't run into a single person in the city. It felt like an abandoned ghost town.

Lol yeah, good ole vanilla Ashenvale days. Log in to level and spend half the night ganking or getting ganked. The cycle of the ganked getting on his main to gank the ganker that was ganked earlier always cracked me up. Point is, you couldn't go anywhere without bumping into someone else.

I'm on my 3rd 40+ character and I've consciously kept track of the dirty Jedi I've see. I'm level 48, almost done with Voss. I saw 0 on Tat while leveling. 0 on Taris, heck I don't even remember seeing any Imps on that place..I saw one dirty Pub on Hoth, and last night I saw 2 on Voss. But hey, server pops are JUST FINE. BW posted 1.7 million subs after all...

+1

I actually really liked this game. And really tried to hang in there. But everyone i started to play with has quit, and all the random acquaintances i found in game has stopped loggin in.

The low pop servers are dying fast.. And even thou BW states they're working on transfers asap, It's not fast enuff. They should've just put the legacy on a bit of hold If that's what complicates it and push the merges/transfers.....

We started a community project of our own Merge on server The Red Eclipse (arguably 2nd most populated server in EU)

More info http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=359784

Spread the word, we are all having a blast population is growing and groups are easy to find.... 250 +/- people on either fleets at peaks... 30-80 on starting zones,

Spread the word... Lets see if you only want to cry or want to do something for the good experience ... we are enjoying a complete new game!

Have a nice day!

Lol yeah, good ole vanilla Ashenvale days. Log in to level and spend half the night ganking or getting ganked. The cycle of the ganked getting on his main to gank the ganker that was ganked earlier always cracked me up. Point is, you couldn't go anywhere without bumping into someone else.

PvE servers FTW!!! :)

Listen buddy, did i say wow wasnt a good game? NO, i agree this isnt 2003, im just stating based of the first year, WOW had 2 million subscribers, currently after only a few months swtor has roughly the same.

and FYI i liked wow, and played it for years, i actually prefered vanilla wow, and was very good at it (mainly PVP, i had full transcendance gear some naxxramas gear before burning crusade and pvp was changed.

burning crusade and the change to PVP was the killer for me, i unsubbed from it, BUT did come back and play for a while due to friends playing during cataclysm

PvE servers FTW!!! :)

I wasn't implying I didn't like it. It was glorious. The amount of open world pvp that happened there. I just wish server pops got to a level where pvp actually existed. WZs I dont in high regards for pvp. I think another problem is even on "heavy" servers, the quest zones don't overlap enough to get alot of open world pvp. But that's a different topic. Oh and this...

Die carebear maggot!....Jk

(FYI "carebear" isn't easy to type on an iPhone. Dumb auto correct.