Best class for beginners.

Neptune

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I think long range is easiest. You just stand back and cast spells at people. If your a sorc.Just be careful you don't get to close to the person your attacking or your died meat.If you deside to be a sith inquistor, khem vel makes a really good companion. Plus I love the inquistor story the most.So far mines level 13.:p

Mercenary or Commando

Inquisitor or Sage

Those classes will be the easiest to play.

Any of the force using melee classes.

With them it's pretty much spam a move to build up force power/rage then use a finisher to dump it.

Then why do people complain about having so much trouble with it?

Jedi Sentinels / Sith Marauders are not as easy to play as you think.

The class has numerous abilities that need to be used each fight, it has two resource systems that need to be monitored for maximum DPS, and it requires precise use of its defensive cooldowns to survive.

During a fight, I'm often watching my ability cooldowns / resources more than my character. This may not be appealing to a new player who wants to look at the game and not his action bars.

One of the Jedi/Sith classes. Energy/Heat/Ammo regen is a very difficult mechanic to master. It's also extremely punitive of mistakes.

Not as difficult as having to master focus, centering, stances, 10cds on your screen, being at 4m of your target, and wearing paper armor if rebuke, ward and saved are all on cd.

• 2 weeks later...

Do Bounty Hunters really get more credits than Commando's? There must be some benefits for other classes that Bounty hunters don't have then, if they get more credits. It would be really unfair if they get more credits. I'm still doubting about the fact all classes are balanced.

I'm a Commando and that's an easy class for a beginner. (Don't pick Vanguard as advanced class, it's a close range tank which is hard to play.)

• 2 weeks later...
This, not even just melee but any force user. The tiered regen of the non-force using classes is the antithesis of newbie friendly.

Yup. Resource management is not hard, but it's one more thing to learn as a newbie.

I have to believe that anyone suggesting Guardian/Sentinel/Marauder/Juggernaut have not played these classes. They are far, far more difficult than others.

Probably the Jedi casters are the easiest... maybe gunnery commando.

Yeah, from a PvE perspective, Sentinel/Marauder is probably the most difficult class to play competently, followed by Guardian/Juggernaut.

What do you want your role to be?

DPS? Commando or Mercenary. Avoid Sentinel or Marauder.

Heal? Sage or Sorcerer. Avoid Commando or Mercenary.

Tank? Vanguard or Powertech. Avoid Shadow or Assassin.

I am recommending classes that have the fewest cooldowns and short-term buffs to track and the most number of emergency buttons to hit.

For example, Vanguard/Powertech tanking has the advantage of a set rotation and abilities that can be used from range when in a high-movement fight. They also benefit from good emergency buttons that don't require in-depth knowledge of the fight to use.

Shadow/Assassin tanking is a proc-based priority system that has two optimum layouts: one for high damage/threat and one for low damage/self-healing. It has only one general-purpose defensive cooldown and one potent cooldown that only provides protection from Force and Tech attacks. It is the only tank class that cannot "teleport" to its target, which means if you get knocked off a platform while tanking you have to run up -- no Force Leap or Storm to cheat your way back to your target. You will also be expected to CC a target during large pulls, which requires you to approach in stealth without being detected.

I'd say the Maurrauder (or jedi variant cant think of name atm) is best for beginner because its simple and all it can do is damage and once you get a good idea of how to play the game and make some good friends who are willing to help you, you can re-roll what ever you want and get assistance.

have you even played swtor yet?

Sith Inquisitor. You get two nukes, channel damage, 2 stuns, hard CC, a push back, and your companion all by level ten.

Their skillset is huge and effective and incredibly easy to use. I've leveled a few characters and Sorc wasn't even fun because of how easy it was.

I'm just going to say that in general, I find that for single player pve leveling, tank + healing companion is generally the easiest way to go. With that in mind, Sith Juggernaught, Powertech, and Vanguard are all pretty good choices, as they can have their healing companion out by the time they're hitting Nar Shada. I have not played an assassin/shadow tank, though, so I can't comment on it's effectiveness (although the Assassin, like the Jedi Knight, suffers from the fact their healing companion comes after act I). I've also found that rage/focus is an easier mechanic to deal with than energy management.

I'm gonna have to go with Sorcerer/Sage for the for having access to good dps/heals and cc's (especially Whirlwind for PvE) along with an easy-to-manage resource system. Commando's/Merc, I would put second due to their ridonculous AoE damage and access to heals + CC's.

Marauder/Sentinel would hands-down be the most difficult. You are a melee class with light armor that has ridonculous DPS rotations. Also, you severely lack cc's.

The sage/sorc is the easiest class to play and will give you the most fun if you want something not to complex.

You have heals and damage and your very first pet/companion is a tank so your set for some easy leveling - add to that by level 12 you will have a CC, 3 stuns/interupt you can level even from a early stage without to many problems.

At end game they are the best PvP and PvE healers, as well as having best ranged damage for PvE and PvP... some nice utility and cooldowns make it the most popular class in the game at the moment - My guild refuses to even let sorcs join now (even guildies coming from our other gaming community).

Sentinel/Marauder are probably the hardest to be good at in my opinion. So stay away from those, their rotations are ridiculous and you have to watch 6-10 abilities constantly as to know when they're off cooldown.

This. Sentinels/Marauders have a lot of CD's to keep track of just to do their normal DPS rotation. I would not recommend Assassins, either, as their damage relies upon watching for procs on that tiny icon bar.

My Sorcerer has been pretty easy thus far (lvl 18). Ranged lightning, bubble, heals and a tank pet. Commandos/Mercenaries seem fairly easy, as do Juggernauts/Knights.

Shadow/Assassin tanking is a proc-based priority system that has two optimum layouts: one for high damage/threat and one for low damage/self-healing. It has only one general-purpose defensive cooldown and one potent cooldown that only provides protection from Force and Tech attacks. It is the only tank class that cannot "teleport" to its target, which means if you get knocked off a platform while tanking you have to run up -- no Force Leap or Storm to cheat your way back to your target. You will also be expected to CC a target during large pulls, which requires you to approach in stealth without being detected.

Assassin tanks do receive Force Pull, which pulls one enemy to the Assassin. I'd rather teleport to a group of enemies, instead of yanking just one to me, but it's better than nothing.

Edited by Dusksoverture

This. Sentinels/Marauders have a lot of CD's to keep track of just to do their normal DPS rotation. I would not recommend Assassins, either, as their damage relies upon watching for procs on that tiny icon bar.

My Sorcerer has been pretty easy thus far (lvl 18). Ranged lightning, bubble, heals and a tank pet. Commandos/Mercenaries seem fairly easy, as do Juggernauts/Knights.

^ I'd agree with that. The sentinel/marauder are not well designed, and I certainly wouldn't recommend that class to a new player.

I do like my shadow/assassin though :) and commando is very easy (maybe borderline boring for some people).