Are they really nerfing slicing again?

Citywok

As you all know, slicing was given a huge nerf not too long ago so you may only make a couple thousand credits a day on lockboxes.

Now I've read that they are taking away augments from us and giving them to all the other crafters. I make a lot of money with selling augments and that's taking away a huge portion of my income after already losing a lot of it with the previous nerf! All the crafting skills are gettings high level schems and new items to make, but it seems like they are trying to make slicing even less viable by taking away one of the few things we have left. Crafting skills are getting more than enough love next patch, let us slicers keep our augments.

we dont know if its a nerf yet. synthweaving, armormech and i think cybertech, are getting augments as craftables (rather than the rng we have now) and slicing is being compensated with providing the materials necessary. overall seems like a decent change.

Hell no they're no "buffing" slicing. There are not going to be any mats that sell for 50-100k per item. I'm going to lose money because mats, no matters what they are, are not going to be worth as much as augments. Thats a fact.

Hell no they're no "buffing" slicing. There are not going to be any mats that sell for 50-100k per item. I'm going to lose money because mats, no matters what they are, are not going to be worth as much as augments. Thats a fact.
Right, and you'll never sell more mats than augments because it only takes one mat to make one augment. Fact?

A "fact" is, by definition, something that presently exists - something you can observe. This is speculation about something that hasn't happened yet.

As for speculation about whether it's a nerf or not, consider this: the present market for augments is pretty limited. Once these changes go live, the best gear in most slots (not just a couple, as right now) will be the best because of added augment slots. That means much higher demand for augments and materials to make them. You may not be finding augments that sell for 100k, (which doesn't happen often right now - most of the level 50 augments are vendor trash) but you'll be selling a steady stream of materials.

(And "a couple thousand credits a day"? I make that much profit from lockbox missions every 20 minutes, not counting bonus mission discoveries. Are you only sending out one companion at a time or something?)

In short, I think you're way off base.

Wrong. At least in the short term.

You may get an augment that is worth 50-100k (my server the class stat and power advanced augs go for 200k) but you may get an aug that is worth nothing. (Presence augs... anyone?).

Being able to pick and choose will allow crafters of augments to choose what they make... meaning they can buy the mats and craft what people want.

In the long run, when people have that custom gear set that has an augment slot and filled all of them... you might see slicing make less money. But for the short term, after 1.2 hits... we are likely going to see a very large uptick in demand for slicing missions.

Meaning it'll be worth doing the base augment missions, which, at least on Bondar Crystal, are money loss missions if you only want the augments.

I'm for anything that reducing the random chance, I don't believe in playing slots when I'm sending out companions. I'd rather send out 2 on lockbox missions and have the other 3 rest than send them all out and generally lose money.

A "fact" is, by definition, something that presently exists - something you can observe. This is speculation about something that hasn't happened yet.

As for speculation about whether it's a nerf or not, consider this: the present market for augments is pretty limited. Once these changes go live, the best gear in most slots (not just a couple, as right now) will be the best because of added augment slots. That means much higher demand for augments and materials to make them. You may not be finding augments that sell for 100k, (which doesn't happen often right now - most of the level 50 augments are vendor trash) but you'll be selling a steady stream of materials.

(And "a couple thousand credits a day"? I make that much profit from lockbox missions every 20 minutes, not counting bonus mission discoveries. Are you only sending out one companion at a time or something?)

In short, I think you're way off base.

I'll touch this one real quick too. Please, please, please... don't vendor your green augments. There is a crewskill that breaks them down, and as one I much prefer to buy for double what the vendor does if you just list them on the GTN.

Also, he is likely doing those augment quests which if you don't sell the bonus missions will lose money. (Since I give them away to guildmates/use them myself if i can, i don't tend to do them).

I'll touch this one real quick too. Please, please, please... don't vendor your green augments. There is a crewskill that breaks them down, and as one I much prefer to buy for double what the vendor does if you just list them on the GTN.

Interesting - I wasn't aware augments could be RE'd for materials. What mats do they produce?

Are you kidding? Supplying mats is always a big money maker.

As you all know, slicing was given a huge nerf not too long ago so you may only make a couple thousand credits a day on lockboxes if you don't bother collecting from slicing nodes, because people were treating it like a Mission Skill instead of the gathering skill it really is...

Normally I hate the "Here let me fix your post" but OP really deserved it.

Interesting - I wasn't aware augments could be RE'd for materials. What mats do they produce?

Artificing can break it down into Archealogical (sp?) components.

Normally I hate the "Here let me fix your post" but OP really deserved it.

You don't understand the skill then. Slicing doesn't fit into any single category. It has nodes and missions that yeild credit boxes, mission discoveries and schematics which make it like a gatherer skill. However it also has augments which atm can only be gained from running missions, like a mission skill. Thus it was a hybrid, and why people are complaining. Now it is only a gatherer skill, as the mission skill component is being removed.

You don't understand the skill then. Slicing doesn't fit into any single category. It has nodes and missions that yeild credit boxes, mission discoveries and schematics which make it like a gatherer skill. However it also has augments which atm can only be gained from running missions, like a mission skill. Thus it was a hybrid, and why people are complaining. Now it is only a gatherer skill, as the mission skill component is being removed.

Seems pretty clear here: http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/crew-skills

Also seems cut and dry when you click on the Trainer and see what it says.

The fact that you can do missions to gain items (Augments) that you can't get form the nodes is no different from any other Gathering skill.

I can get Conductive Flux, Inuslating Flux, etc from Scavanging missions, it doesn't make scavanging a hyprid.

I can get Termoinoic Gel Suspension, Demicot Sillk, etc from Archeology missions, it doesn't make it a hybrid.

I can get First Aid Kits, Hyp Syringes, etc from Bioanlysis missions, it doesn't make it a hybrid.

People need to get over the fact that they made a mistake when the game was first released and set the returns to be too high on the missions for Slicing. Trying to twist the skill into something you believe it should be does not make it so.