How many Subscriptions do you think this game has right now

Militiaa

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also love how people think the Asian markets is going to dramatically boost the subscription numbers up ten fold. Most people who play in places like Australia and stuff already bought the game and even if nobody did buy the game, which is unlikely, I only see three servers open for them. Not a big population boon if you ask me.

Read the link. He said the comments today in New York.

Here are more details. Posted today March 8th

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/08/electronic-arts-reveals-new-mass-effect-3-and-star-wars-mmo-numbers/

Well then, thanks for the link. Sounds liek they gained abotu 300k actual subscriptions from last time since the 1.7M is now actual subs and before it was partly people in the free month. That shows it holding steady and it's not a terrible number. Hopefully they can get it to grow with the upcoming changes. Certainly doesn't suggest any huge problems yet, however. EAch game wil have its niche market. WoW is still grabbing up tons of market share and people are very loyal to it, so 1.7-2.0M subs may be a reasonable expection for steady population for SWTOR...and quite profitable too, so they'll be pleased. If that remains the stable number of subs for a while, then you can expect they will finally look at server population distribution and mergers at that point too.

Well then, thanks for the link. Sounds liek they gained abotu 300k actual subscriptions from last time since the 1.7M is now actual subs and before it was partly people in the free month. That shows it holding steady and it's not a terrible number. Hopefully they can get it to grow with the upcoming changes. Certainly doesn't suggest any huge problems yet, however. EAch game wil have its niche market. WoW is still grabbing up tons of market share and people are very loyal to it, so 1.7-2.0M subs may be a reasonable expection for steady population for SWTOR...and quite profitable too, so they'll be pleased. If that remains the stable number of subs for a while, then you can expect they will finally look at server population distribution and mergers at that point too.

If SWTOR consolidated some servers or offered an X-LFD it would dramatically boost retention on lower populations servers. I think the sub losses are the result of those servers personally, I think that's fair to say.

Quote me the transcript off the conversation in the guild summuit where it says over 2 million subscribers. Until then I'll take the CEO's paraphased statement as more truth.

From the transcript ive seen, the actual subscription numbers werent announced at the guild summit.

How has SWTOR being doing since launch?

We are the fastest growing subscription game in North America

Sold over 2 million copies

Average playtime for players its around 5 hrs a day x 7 days a week – almost a full work week!

3.8 million characters created so far

Recap: GU 1.1 – new flashpoint and operaiton less than a month after launch. Asia-Pacific launch on March 1. Weekly maintenance fixed on bug fixes

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/

That being said, i think the official subscription numbers are somewhere between 1.5mil to 2mil. We can only speculate though until Bioware releases the official numbers.

There should be quite a big drop inbound, since all the people who played since beginning and used gamecards (thus had to pay for 2 months in advance) are about to run out of gametime.

At least in our guild (which was once (like 3 weeks ago) clearing 16 NM content with always 15+ people on) almost everyone is going to unsub (myself included)

1.2 may bring some people back, but I don't think it will matter that much

From the transcript ive seen, the actual subscription numbers werent announced at the guild summit.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/

That being said, i think the official subscription numbers are somewhere between 1.5mil to 2mil. We can only speculate though until Bioware releases the official numbers.

Thank you, I appreciate that very much. Based on the article from the CEO in New York it looks like SWTOR is just under 1.7 million subs. That is a good thing unless your on a lower population server cause that means no new influx of players and it's going to be many more months of bad group game play. The game is great if your on a healthy pop server, really wish Bioware would get on this faster then june~

I know you don't want to believe the game isn't growing but it's till the end of February, the article is from today in New York by the CEO.

Fair enough, at the most negative it is not growing. You can say it's shrinking if you like, I'd say it's stable and still a very impressive retention rate after the 3 month period.

One thing's for sure, it's a far, far cry from dying or going F2P as some on these boards have been desperately trying to make everyone think. First it was predictions of it's demise after one month, when that didn't happen (by a long shot), the "haters" moved the goal posts to the 3 month mark, and once again they are proven wrong and way off the mark. So far, despite their best efforts and dire predictions the game is doing just fine, although I fully expect them to move those goal posts yet again, and again. ;)

There should be quite a big drop inbound, since all the people who played since beginning and used gamecards (thus had to pay for 2 months in advance) are about to run out of gametime.

At least in our guild (which was once (like 3 weeks ago) clearing 16 NM content with always 15+ people on) almost everyone is going to unsub (myself included)

1.2 may bring some people back, but I don't think it will matter that much

Yeah, these forums will be back on track with predictions around the 150 - 300k mark soon enough :) But for now, let's just be happy for a day that the game is doing well? :)

Incorrect.

Nice try though.

Earnings report in Feb 1st announces over 1.7million subs and now on March 8th CEO announces less then 1.7m subs or "holding" depending on the article. Either way it's a rentention dive and a very potential realistic loss of customers, it's just a minsicule dip and we should be thankful.

Edited by Touchbass

What is incorrect? The pop being 1.7 million or the game is shrinking or both?

Him saying the population was less then 1.7 million and dropping. He's pulling it out of his arse and selectively interpreting what the CEO was quoted as saying.

Further, while Dulfy did not capture it in his transcript, if you were to go back and watch the live feed, they did say they had over 2 million active subs at the summit, and simple tracking of the servers at prime time and some straight forward math indicates it's easily 2 million.

Not that any naysayer is going to believe anything other then a negative indicator of course. :p

Edited by Andryah

Fair enough, at the most negative it is not growing. You can say it's shrinking if you like, I'd say it's stable and still a very impressive retention rate after the 3 month period.

One thing's for sure, it's a far, far cry from dying or going F2P as some on these boards have been desperately trying to make everyone think. First it was predictions of it's demise after one month, when that didn't happen (by a long shot), the "haters" moved the goal posts to the 3 month mark, and once again they are proven wrong and way off the mark. So far, despite their best efforts and dire predictions the game is doing just fine, although I fully expect them to move those goal posts yet again, and again. ;)

They plan on hitting 2million by June, I don't see why that isn't realistic with the Asian market but I'm not 100% convinced. I'm really invested in this populationg as I'm an advent believer in there are too many servers for our population and grouping cann be too difficult. I really want Bioware to fix these issues immediately :(

Him saying the population was less then 1.7 million and dropping. He's pulling it out of his arse and selectively interpreting what the CEO was quoted as saying.

Further, while Dulfy did not capture it in his transcript, if you were to go back and watch the live feed, they did say they had over 2 million active subs. Not that any naysayer is going to believe anything other then a negative indicator of course. :p

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has told investors that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) is up to nearly 1.7 million monthly subscribers as of the end of February

As of February over 1.7million, as of the end of February under 1.7. Yes, the population is dropping in NA/EU. Every MMORPG loses people every month until a patch comes and people resub, this happens in WoW and every other have decent MMORPG. I know that doesn't go with your "math" that you like to post over and over that shows 2.5 million+ active subs but reality doesn't go with that notion. If you could provide empirical evdence as I've provided that has nothing to with your "math skills", I'd gladly listen.

EDIT: Why is there so much confusion about the part I highlighted in yellow in your post. Why are a few saying that is active subs and others are saying it's units sold.

EDIT2: I don't see where it says active subs?

"How has SWTOR being doing since launch?

We are the fastest growing subscription game in North America

Sold over 2 million copies Big difference between copies/subs

Average playtime for players its around 5 hrs a day x 7 days a week – almost a full work week!

3.8 million characters created so far

Recap: GU 1.1 – new flashpoint and operaiton less than a month after launch. Asia-Pacific launch on March 1. Weekly maintenance fixed on bug fixes "

Edited by Touchbass

Who cares? What is it with you people and 'how many subs'? I get some servers are light, but shouldn't it be a discussion on servers and mergers? The only thing I can think of about talking about and obsessing over subs is doom and glooming on the game.

They plan on hitting 2million by June, I don't see why that isn't realistic with the Asian market but I'm not 100% convinced. I'm really invested in this populationg as I'm an advent believer in there are too many servers for our population and grouping cann be too difficult. I really want Bioware to fix these issues immediately :(

I tend to agree that SW:TOR, like pretty much every MMO around (including WoW) have "too many" servers and can lead to an impression that there are less people playing. WoW mostly avoids this problem with their cross server PvE and PvE tools. Honestly, I'd expect SW:TOR to go this route (cross server everything) long before they even entertain the idea of merging servers as right or wrong, people still hold to the perception that merging servers = dead/dying game.

I tend to agree that SW:TOR, like pretty much every MMO around (including WoW) have "too many" servers and can lead to an impression that there are less people playing. WoW mostly avoids this problem with their cross server PvE and PvE tools. Honestly, I'd expect SW:TOR to go this route (cross server everything) long before they even entertain the idea of merging servers as right or wrong, people still hold to the perception that merging servers = dead/dying game.

Yeah, I was stuck on a server called Smolderthorn in WoW, it had a top US guild and everything until unthinkable lag hit us and transfers were opened off the server and everyone left. The game was terrible until they introduced X-LFD which basically saved low population servers. I really want Bioware to make X-LFD or something that works to be implemented.

With 1.7 million subs,given a 10-20% peak player base, you can have around 585-780 players per faction spread out over 30+ zones means alot of players spread out.

As to where we get the 10-20%? Wow has an estimated 15% peak player base while league of legends who just recently surpassed Wow inb total players has approximately a 10%

Because f the difficulty involving transfers/merges because of the legacy system we would be better served creating alts on the more known to be populated servers.

I'm guessing around 2.2mill.

The reason is because of the Asian Pasific launch as well as growing over time.

What do you think it has right now?

There are plenty of people like myself who are subscribed but not playing. Without any concrete numbers, and EA won't release them if they are not positive, its hard to say. SWTOR is a game most of us agree has a ton of potential. People like myself aren't playing right now because the game simply has too many issues to be fun. I think the game is a year away from great but we'll see. 1.2 seems to be pretty big and addresses many issues. If they can get a few more similar patches out in the next few months maybe by late summer the game will attract back some of the people who preordered and quit. The good news is that there is too much money tied up in this game to fail so it will get fixed, the question is when and how many people unfortunately get fired in the process.

If you are being honest then your computer has some serious loading issues. Personally I think you are exagerating.. If you are exagerating then please do not try and pretend you are being honest.. it's a common ploy when someone is lying.

We play the game.. I manage to do 11 quests 2 of which are heroic in about 40 minutes. Honestly.

Clearly you're both exaggerating, because there's practically nowhere in the game with that kind of quest density.