The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Time to remove/update Voidstar

kckkryptonite

i never said you need to be amazingly skilled.

In an MMO group comp is everything, one advantage is that there are more than 1 class of healer more than 1 class of dps etc.

your tone seems to tell me you're rather upset with my comments.

overall huttball is flawed in my view of an mmo "If the case may be that you do not need healers to win it."

removing a class from the picture is idiotic, when they are easily maintained with stuns/interupts/knockbacks/etc

you are trying to justify your own flawed outlook on how you want the game to be (without healers :| )

now pls read it before you reply.

I've concluded you have no comprehension whatsoever, that is what my tone has been leading up to which I originally thought was just naivety rather than full-blown lack of reading skills. Never did I imply healers should be removed. Never did I say composition isn't important. Never did I say Huttball is without flaws. My original post and subsequent ones were about the flawed, bland, design of Voidstar that lacks finesse from players to be playing it effectively. All you've been doing is de-railing my original thought without any real counter arguments backed by solid points.

"You're bad"

"You should get an organized pre-made"

Aren't arguments. Like I said, I do fine in VS, you keep trying to make this thread about me. If you disagree with my opinion on VS that's fine, but don't try to make it look like anything but a deathmatch.

Edited by kckkryptonite

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Warzone is terrible as composition >>>> coordination more than any other WZ and the outcome is generally apparent after the first half minute into the game.

Do you have healers?

How much healers do you have?

This is such a shallow WZ, it's mind-boggling how it got into the game - Voidstar is nothing but a glorified deathmatch; you may as well have a bot spam your rotation since you really never need to do anything else. You empire fools might not like to hear it, but Huttball has much better design, at least there is variance in play.

Voidstar is the only WZ where healers are absolutely req'd to win. The fact that here are two doors means nothing, they are literally 3 seconds apart. You can see what their intention was, but by god is it simplistic level design. VS needs to be a lot bigger and have coolor, more intricate terrain like catwalks, lifts, corridors that don't quickly merge, anything, if it's not going to be a straight-up spamfest gauntlet run.

Right now it's just a bland, boring WZ, that requires no finesse.

***Note: I have been talking strictly from my end-game BM geared since Dec perspective, in and out of pre-mades, I am sure it feels like a competetive WZ in the 1-49 brackets, where organization is less and sometimes people just don't LOOK at the door or know how to watch the minimap.

Just like the person under you, I like it cause it's fun. Without arena or a deathmatch type warzone, this is what we can settle for.

Its usually random anyways, minus the premades, so you can get a good team composition just like they can.

I've concluded you have no comprehension whatsoever, that is what my tone has been leading up to which I originally thought was just naivety rather than full-blown lack of reading skills. Never did I imply healers should be removed. Never did I say composition isn't important. Never did I say Huttball is without flaws. My original post and subsequent ones were about the flawed, bland, design of Voidstar that lacks finesse from players to be playing it effectively. All you've been doing is de-railing my original thought without any real counter arguments backed by solid points.

you're getting upset now, and everyone is watching, i urge you to stop.

im not the only one calling you out on this subject, heck i even tried to give you a few pointers and started of with nice replies.

Your view on VS is the view of someone who has very little luck within this said WZ.

Myself and many others in this thread have tried to tell you there is actually more co-ordination AND communication needed in VS than any of the other 2.

Which, in order to defeat a good organised group, needs alot of work and timing.

now pls, just stop lol.

What I dislike the most about voidstar is the respawn gates for the defending team. If the attacking team gets lucky and kill most of the people excactly at the time the timer started on a new cycle, you'll almost have a whole team waiting for 15-20 seconds?

Since I doubt there is a team that coordinates their kill at the point when it's best to kill a person, I just feel it is very random wether you get the whole team down right after the respawn cycle restarts.

This is NOT true. If you don't have enough DPS you can't cap against a good team. I've played in some healer heavy matches that were painful.

I like Voidstar a lot - there's a lot of misdirection involved and timing. It's the exact opposite of Civil War. In CW if you trickle in one at a time to try to cap a node you die. In Voidstar if you focus fire it can actually work against you. A better strategy is to try to get as many defenders to die simultaneously as possible (and hope the door doesn't open as soon as they get there). If you don't do that you can have a constant stream of respawns interrupt you.

Voidstar actually takes significant teamwork and communication to win.

Focus fire is actually detrimental assuming your team doesn't have the DPS to simply kill everyone before they respawn. In fact killing someone after a door is down is usually a bad idea, as that puts the respawn in a great position to stop your next cap. In a good game of Voidstar you basically need to split your forces roughly 4/4 and then try to fake them into commiting into one door while majority of your team attacks the other door. The 7-8 guys charge one side strat never works against a good team.

Edited by Astarica

Focus fire is actually detrimental assuming your team doesn't have the DPS to simply kill everyone before they respawn. In fact killing someone after a door is down is usually a bad idea, as that puts the respawn in a great position to stop your next cap. In a good game of Voidstar you basically need to split your forces roughly 4/4 and then try to fake them into commiting into one door while majority of your team attacks the other door. The 7-8 guys charge one side strat never works against a good team.

Which is why people who do 600k damage in voidstar always have "DEFEATED" in their screenshot.

This is NOT true. If you don't have enough DPS you can't cap against a good team. I've played in some healer heavy matches that were painful.

I like Voidstar a lot - there's a lot of misdirection involved and timing. It's the exact opposite of Civil War. In CW if you trickle in one at a time to try to cap a node you die. In Voidstar if you focus fire it can actually work against you. A better strategy is to try to get as many defenders to die simultaneously as possible (and hope the door doesn't open as soon as they get there). If you don't do that you can have a constant stream of respawns interrupt you.

Voidstar actually takes significant teamwork and communication to win.

+1

I've played in a ton of Voidstar maps where the other team was pre-made with very strong healing (and even strong DPS). I've also won a good chunk of them. Sure, we didn't kill a single one of their team while we were defending, but we were able to always get in there and interrupt bomb plants. ;) Once you do that you just need to get past the first door to win.

I would agree that VS is very melee oriented, but I think it has a balance between spammy and strategy. It just happens to be slightly skewed closer to spammy. I think in all Warzones good teamwork and using little tricks at the right time will always win out over composition. Gear is another issue...when a team can roll in, wipe your entire team and take over the door....well that is hard to beat. :D

you're getting upset now, and everyone is watching, i urge you to stop.

im not the only one calling you out on this subject, heck i even tried to give you a few pointers and started of with nice replies.

Your view on VS is the view of someone who has very little luck within this said WZ.

Myself and many others in this thread have tried to tell you there is actually more co-ordination AND communication needed in VS than any of the other 2.

Which, in order to defeat a good organised group, needs alot of work and timing.

now pls, just stop lol.

I'm not mad, you need to stop trying to make this about me. I've kept calmy shutting down your arguments and you've really said nothing of substance in your posts or even attempted to counter my points. I have no problems with the people who say "I like it for fun", that is a more valid statement than anything you've said.

I do fine on VS, my view comes from getting to rank 70 on my main and rank 60 on my alt and playing all three WZs countless times. Please tell me what the coordination is. "Look at the door guys" "Make sure there is always a purple man picture by a door on your minimap".

An organized pre-made v pre-made will never have the attacking team get past the first door. Not once has the enemy team capped my door in the pre-mades I've run. This is bad design, no?

Edited by kckkryptonite

for the op

do the math on the healing stats

as a disclaimer i will say that this isnt the case everytime, the depends on the pugs you end up with.

im pretty sure the losing side had more healing stats and for a short period of time had 1 more player than the republic side due to the 0000000 stat guy leaving at the start.

and here is one we were out dps'd and out healed but we still won

click me

Edited by Scotland

An organized pre-made v pre-made will never have the attacking team get past the first door. Not once has the enemy team capped my door in the pre-mades I've run. This is bad design, no?

Also not true - two evenly matched good teams will sometimes stalemate but often at least one of them will cap one door for a win. You don't have to get to the end to win. And the feeling of victory when the bomb goes off (or when you diffuse one, it's even better) is still great.

When the struggle is hard the reward is sweet.

Strategy is subtle in Voidstar. Let's say I simply send 4 on each side, so as a defender you probably defend 4/4 as well. But, attacker always have a respawn advantage, so let's say we end up being 2 man ahead. Now let's say as defense you foresaw those death perfectly and rotated correctly so it's now 4v3 + 4v3. But what then I take my 2 strongest players (let's say they started on left side) and put rest on the right door, so now it's 2v3 + 6v3. For the defender, note that winning the 2v3 doesn't really do anything for you if the other 3 lost, but if you send a guy to help the other side, maybe my 2 best players just kill your 2 defenders and cap the door anyway. Or maybe the defender respawns on time to join the 6v3 side and foil my plan. Of course it's not like people are actually planning all this fancy stuff out, but these things just sort of happen if the attacker is constantly rotating where they're attacking.

Now of course if your game looks like where only stealthers attack the other door then yeah it's literally just defender head toward the side with less people.

I love Voidstar, especially on my Marauder, and tbh it's fine as it is.

The idea is that:

- You try kill people as much at the same time as you can (nuking the healer straight away then going to DPS means the healer will easily be back by the time you start to use the door.)

- You cc people if they are going for the door capper

- You cc everyone if you are trying to disarm a bomb. (I actually AoE cc'ed 4 people and was about to disarm the bomb when a sorc used the storm to free them all and they interrupted me...)

The only problems are that:

- The attackers seem to never understand that if someone capping is at 7 seconds complete, cc the damn person coming to stop them, don't just stare at them...

- People can't just leave the *break on damage* cc to do its job, they see red nameplates and go mental.

- People never go for the door until everyone, including that sorc that is 60 yards away, is dead.

- The spawn system is stupid that an entire team can be locked in the wrong room for 20+ seconds.

3 of the problems can only be fixed by players being less stupid. The spawn point one needs some actual real attention tbh.

Edited by Hahkil

It's quite easy to break through a door if you know how to exploit the fact that attacker side basically doesn't need healer since you get back in fight in about 5 seconds.

The biggest thing to notice in Voidstar is that if you're disadvantaged in one door as the attacker, that means you must have a significant damage in the other door so all you have to do is slow down the other team. Likewise if you've a significant advantage in one door, you really should be heading to the other door because the enemy reinforcements should be coming from that way shortly and you got to intercept them.

What bugs me about voidstar is this : often, I'll be the lonely sniper planting myself right at one door, while 7 others fights on the other side. Then I will hear 'alert, unauthorized ordinal detected'. How can 7 people fail to defend one door?

you are totally wrong, it is a team, objective based instance.

there is no more skill involved in any other WZ than there is in voidstar.

A co-ordinated group knows....dont let the other team cap, it is just as easy for one group as it is the other.

If this was sarcasm, you proved the OP's point pretty well.

Dont even need to fully read the post the title literally says it all. This is my least favorite warzone, but ironically I get the highest metals on VS. Problem for me is that after the first cap the defensive forces rarely have enough time to mobilize for an effective defense. And that basically happens every new cap. Once a team gets on a roll its game over. Defensive forces are either spread to thin or locked in spawn. Not fun.

EDIT: This would be a really fun warzone if the spawn timers were adjusted a tad.

Edited by Folgrin

I've honestly had more warzones won in Huttball or CW when we had a cohesive strategy. VS seems to only go well for my teams when everyone is doing their own thing and 1 guy starts paying attention long enough to plant a ball. 90% of the time it's not me, because I'm heals...and for some reason I always wind up doing 3 times more damage than heals in VS.

Was on a team that won 6-0. We had 0 people healing and the other team had 4 healers. (guessing by end result numbers by counting those with well over 100k healing points). The other team had more kills, more damage, more healing and more protection. Our team had more points.

Competent players working as a team > than team full of healers.

My two big issues with Voidstar and why of all the WZs its the one I am tempted just to leave straight away upon entering (I've not had fun in Voidstar since the "This is new" feeling went away).

1. The attacking team should never be able to get ahead of the defending team, if you kill them and cap the first door they have to chase you to the point they are meant to be defending, and with the bridge death traps that can be three easy caps in under 2 minutes.

2. When the second team to attack gets further then the first, end the damn game, why do I have to keep playing a game I've already won/lost? you don't in Huttball when someone caps 6 times.