The Problem With Legacy Logic

Way to screw over people who have played humans characters. Thanks for letting us know in ADVANCE we were waisting our time.

This is why leveling a human character to level 50 gives all your characters a presence buff so that all their companions become more effective.

That's not a waste of time, that is actually very helpful. I wish people would get the whole story instead of flipping out over partial information.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He could have a Sith ancestor that took advantage of or betrayed the family belief about "aliens". You could also leave your human smuggler out of your family tree. The legacy system gives you a family tree building system you dont have to add all of your characters into it and some of them you can put in as adoptions etc. If your Smuggler has a family relation thats a force user he could have force sensitivity and figured out for himself how to force choke just like Princess Leia figured out how to recongize and try to use the force in some of the books and the last movie without formal training.

You dont have to be trained as a Jedi or a Sith to be able to use your force sensitivity which is a BIRTH given ability not something you go and train to do.

In my Story, my Alts are related by an ancestor 3,000 years before.. Not father and son, or cousin. and I only have one alt.

Regarding the Force sensitivity, you dont just pick up Force Choke, or Lightning. Darth Sidious, even as an advanced Sith Lord in his mid 40's, felt clumsy and ill at ease using force lightning, and he was the greatest Sith Lord in History.

Something I think wasn't mentioned... you can buy anything in Legacy with enough Credits.

No only Certain things you can buy with legacy. Emote unlocks, races and one or two other customization things can be bought. Things like the GTN, target dummies, and the Mail box for your ship cannot.

Unless Bioware directly stated "and mains will get bonuses from this system that will be more attractive to them than for alt players" you're likely taking their quote out of context. To be honest it happens all the time and has been the cause of a lot of arguments in the past around here. Someone thought Bioware meant A because of something they said that was misinterpreted or intentionally twisted when the reality is they meant B. I never saw any statement that gave me the impression that main-only players would receive something that alt players would care less about. The system has always come off to me as something that is more attractive to people who roll alts. The Guild Summit information more or less confirmed this.

Either way, what you thought it would be isn't the case. Sorry if you got your hopes up but this system is a bit more meaningful for someone who has four characters instead of just one. Now to be honest once new storylines come out this year and once the level cap is increased from an expansion people like you will likely find all of the bonuses useful whether you got them from simply leveling up Legacy or buying them with credits.

The legacy unlocks are for ALL your characters even your main.

I couldn't give a crap to be honest, because I Role-play to a certain extent, I'm a massive Star Wars Lore fan, and I have an alt that is a different race and faction to my main... Why would a Human Smuggler, be of any relation to a Sith Pureblood Marauder, and how in canon would he use force choke?

Uh, correct me if i'm wrong, but the screen for Sith Purebloods says that they are hybrids of humans and the original sith race. And a good part of the starting Sith Warrior story has to do with debates over mixed bloods. No reason why the Sith couldn't have a cousin or sibling who married the human smuggler's mom. Then the mom left because he was abusive and raised the smuggler on Coruscant. Instant family of a different race and faction.

Or, you could just not make them related and have the Human Smuggler be the Marauder's nemesis who constantly tries to steal credits from his account and blows up his ship whenever they cross paths.

Or, given the fact that you can now make any class have the sith pureblood race, you can make a sith pureblood smuggler and BAM it makes sense.

All Bioware has done is give YOU the tools to RP the way you want to.

In my Story, my Alts are related by an ancestor 3,000 years before.. Not father and son, or cousin. and I only have one alt.

Regarding the Force sensitivity, you dont just pick up Force Choke, or Lightning. Darth Sidious, even as an advanced Sith Lord in his mid 40's, felt clumsy and ill at ease using force lightning, and he was the greatest Sith Lord in History.

It doesnt have to be direct. Bastilla Shan's ancestor who is in game is what 3000 years apart and she's got alot of her ancestors sway with the force that is natural to her family line.

Also how do you explain the force creatures and users in the game that aren't Jedi or Sith? They didnt' have to train, somethings are more natural to others.

I fail tos ee how RP elements that are only useable during PVE with an ACTIVE companion are such horrible lore destroying mechanics when they fit in the LORE and they're OPTIONAL and you can't use them in Operations OR pvp. They can only be used like what ever 20 mins with a companion actively being used.

Edited by Kindara

Race unlock is worthless to me.

I missed the memo where I was suppose to wait for Bioware to unlock the Legacy system before I leveled alts.

Now I have all human alts that I will NOT delete and reroll for the purpose of race unlocks. So stupid really. This game is so repetitive in the questing and leveling a new toon department that I would rather take my computer out to the desert and fill it with .40cal from my Glock 22 before I even try to stomach leveling a new toon for this 'well thought out' system.

Unlocking races will be purchasable, right? Problem solved.

Think of the level 50 unlocking in terms of the family tree. Your first Sith gets to 50, has a kid without obvious Force potential, becomes a Sith Bounty Hunter or Agent. See?

Re: Humans, Cyborgs - They said Humans and Cyborgs will unlock things, I think it was a Presence buff for Humans (making your alt's companions tougher and thus helping with leveling which is the point) and Cyborgs would unlock the various class specific cyborg cosmetic implants. You aren't getting nothing from leveling one of them to 50. It may not rock your world but it's at least something.

It doesnt have to be direct. Bastilla Shan's ancestor who is in game is what 3000 years apart and she's got alot of her ancestors sway with the force that is natural to her family line.

Also how do you explain the force creatures and users in the game that aren't Jedi or Sith? They didnt' have to train, somethings are more natural to others.

I thought it was a family tree? like father, Son etc? if I have the option to say "Distant relative, 100th generations" Then fine, but I doubt it.

When I say force I mean using the force in battle as a skill used by your "Relative", not just having midichlorians and "Luck on your side"... altering perceptions, telekinesis, creating lightning; Are Highly advanced trained skills used by devotees of Force organizations, not "something my daddy taught me". (IMO)

To be honest though I just hate Bioware at the moment so everything they say makes me unhappy.

This whole Legacy concept seems more aimed to roleplayers and not to min-maxers.

[sarcasm]

Oooh yess, It's so cool to RP!!!

It's SO IMMERSIVE, to have a fem mirialan scoundrel, and then to create her a gunslinger "daughter", which (for whatever reason) is twilek (Corso was really surprised too, you know, and even had a long holochat with Numen Brock) and which starts her epic journey from...meeting her ex-father in youth as only fem romancable option, and chasing bastard her parents took care of many years ago. Now that's what I call family traditions!

Not to mention occasional siths wearing same surname...

[/sarcasm]

Yes, I know that RPs can build their RP even in worse conditions. Some RPed in diablo 1, you know. But when main feature (which is story) is in contradiction with any basic logic of personal legend... Along with no sandbox\social utilities it brings really poor results, imo.

ps: The only viable workaround - avoiding "parrent" classes. Looks not cool.

RPrs wont get much of it (exept for some promissed emotes and customization stuff). Main-players won't get anything of it. Altplayers will. They will get full stack of alts (first - unneeded - then desired ones). Very fast and easy.

Some compared legacy with heirlooms - it was bad idea. The only purpose of heirlooms was speeding up going through "unnecessary" content straight to "vital" endgame. Leveling in SWTOR is well balanced and easy as it is, if you wish to spacebar all the lines -you're very likely to hit 50 very-very soon. I hardly see any purpose for making things even faster and easyer, especially from BW point of view. This game was positioned as "story-driven", not "end-game and dungeoucrawling driven". The only thing that can really make people keep subs alive - is new story, not force choke for a chiss scoundrel on a 20 min cd. For dull grinding kind of gameplay we have a lot of mmos, including f2p.

The idea that someone is going to be able to buy these legacy levels says so much. And all of it is bad.

Isn't that just funny? Again, they're giving a way to people who don't want to put forth any effort the ability to just get it....

[sarcasm]

Oooh yess, It's so cool to RP!!!

It's SO IMMERSIVE, to have a fem mirialan scoundrel, and then to create her a gunslinger "daughter", which (for whatever reason) is twilek (Corso was really surprised too, you know, and even had a long holochat with Numen Brock) and which starts her epic journey from...meeting her ex-father in youth as only fem romancable option, and chasing bastard her parents took care of many years ago. Now that's what I call family traditions!

Not to mention occasional siths wearing same surname...

[/sarcasm]

Yes, I know that RPs can build their RP even in worse conditions. Some RPed in diablo 1, you know. But when main feature (which is story) is in contradiction with any basic logic of personal legend... Along with no sandbox\social utilities it brings really poor results, imo.

ps: The only viable workaround - avoiding "parrent" classes. Looks not cool.

RPrs wont get much of it (exept for some promissed emotes and customization stuff). Main-players won't get anything of it. Altplayers will. They will get full stack of alts (first - unneeded - then desired ones). Very fast and easy.

Some compared legacy with heirlooms - it was bad idea. The only purpose of heirlooms was speeding up going through "unnecessary" content straight to "vital" endgame. Leveling in SWTOR is well balanced and easy as it is, if you wish to spacebar all the lines -you're very likely to hit 50 very-very soon. I hardly see any purpose for making things even faster and easyer, especially from BW point of view. This game was positioned as "story-driven", not "end-game and dungeoucrawling driven". The only thing that can really make people keep subs alive - is new story, not force choke for a chiss scoundrel on a 20 min cd. For dull grinding kind of gameplay we have a lot of mmos, including f2p.

So True! Its blatantly an RP style system, I mean why would a Grinder or PVP guy care about family story? yet it is so constraining and Illogical for people who would care about such a thing.

What I don't like about this change is that, if you level to 50 with a Sith Warrior, you can then play a Sith BH?

Well, I just played a GD Sith to 50, I don't want to play another Sith. So if I want to make a Marauder Rattataki, I need to level a Assassin to 50 with a Rattataki first?

Seems like there's some redundancy there. While I like playing new classes, I try to use a different race each time I make a character. I mean how many Sith's can a person play?

Just saying, if you think about it from that perspective it's a waste.

The idea that someone is going to be able to buy these legacy levels says so much. And all of it is bad.

You can't BUY legacy levels. THis is a fabrication of someone's misinformation or rather flat out lies. Please stop supporting & spreading unfounded ridiculous lies.

Edited by Kindara

And here I figured the whole point was to encourage people, once they finished one characters story, to start another character instead of standing around like an idiot complaining about the lack of end game.

Which, considering I think "end game" is a really stupid form of "gameplay", I'm perfectly happy with.

And it would seem to do exactly that.

There are nor racial bonuses to a class, races are purely aesthetic. It's basically a roleplaying mechanism and nothing more. You picked your current races because you liked them how has that changed?

No, we chose our current CLASSES because we liked them, we didn't have a lot of choice in the matter of races.

And here I figured the whole point was to encourage people, once they finished one characters story, to start another character instead of standing around like an idiot complaining about the lack of end game.

Which, considering I think "end game" is a really stupid form of "gameplay", I'm perfectly happy with.

And it would seem to do exactly that.

Doing the same quest over and over is not encouraging at all. When you get all your alts to 50, then what do you do? Since "End game" is a really stupid form of "gameplay"

Race unlock is worthless to me.

I missed the memo where I was suppose to wait for Bioware to unlock the Legacy system before I leveled alts.

Now I have all human alts that I will NOT delete and reroll for the purpose of race unlocks. So stupid really. This game is so repetitive in the questing and leveling a new toon department that I would rather take my computer out to the desert and fill it with .40cal from my Glock 22 before I even try to stomach leveling a new toon for this 'well thought out' system.

If you dont want to take advantage of alting systems then don't. No oen is forcing you and your not missing out on anything. For major alters this is a boon. Persnoally I only have 1 level 50 and a scattering of lvl 10s or younger. I'll probably delete a few of those to rerace them if I feel like it but most likely I won't. It'll just be nice to know I can if I want too.

Edited by Kindara

So what if I'd rather change the race of my main? I'd rather not have to create a new character entirely and grind all the gear and levels just to change that race. Can't we be rewarded choice on existing characters if we have levelled other ones to 50.

If you dont want to take advantage of alting systems then don't. No oen is forcing you and your not missing out on anything. For major alters this is a boon. Persnoally I only have 1 level 50 and a scattering of lvl 10s or younger. I'll probably delete a few of those to rerace them if I feel like it but most likely I won't. It'll just be nice to know I can if I want too.

"Major alt-ers" already have all of their char slots filled with alts, because the legacy system was not implemented when the game shipped, and not everyone was aware that they should hold off on creating alts until five months post-release.

Until legacy becomes account-specific and not server-specific, or legacy levels allow the purchasing of additional character slots, those alt-aholics, who would likely get the most out of this system (as we're the sort of people who LIKE the idea of starting a character with a newly unlocked race) will get very little due again to the character slot limitation.

The legacy unlocks are for ALL your characters even your main.

Yes I know that. I'm trying to explain to this person that some things you get are more attractive to alts because the system was created to encourage alt play.

People need to watch/read up on all of the info they said instead of just rumors.

They said that you can unlock any race for in-game credits. So if you want to get Chiss, but don't want to play republic then just buy it. Relax.