*Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

Sprigum

Im running.

Bulldozer 4100fx cpu

Asus Sabertooth 990fx MB

Radeon 6850

Never have issues, in fact warzones run around 110 FPS cutscenes over 200

And the whole Intel is better than AMD is BS. Really it boils down to personal preference and loyalty. Put thought I'd add my specs incase someone isn't wanting to go extreme routes with $300+ i7s.

Edited by iDeadd

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im running.

Never have issues, in fact warzones run around 110 FPS cutscenes over 200

That's just amazing considering the fact that the game is capped at 111 FPS. Guess you must be very special then.

/facepalm

Fraps Test of My Build

Intel Core I7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz

Asus Sabertooth P67 with Assist Fan

Noctua NH-C14

16GB GSkill 1866

XFX 1000watt PSU

2 XFX HD 6950 in xfire

Crucial 128GB SSD

Westen Digital 1.5TB Black

Western Digital 1TB Green

CoolerMaster Storm Scout

Have no problems running swtor maxed out at 1920x1080 at 90fps to 111fps

That's just amazing considering the fact that the game is capped at 111 FPS. Guess you must be very special then.

/facepalm

It's because he lies like most on here when it comes to performance. NEVER believe stats on the net, NEVER.

Fraps Test of My Build

Noctua NH-C14

16GB GSkill 1866

XFX 1000watt PSU

2 XFX HD 6950 in xfire

Crucial 128GB SSD

CoolerMaster Storm Scout

Really lol...why would you post that?? Most people aren't going to have the money to build something close to that. If that comp didn't get those frames I would worry.

Plain and simple, this engine just plain sucks.

Fraps Test of My Build

Noctua NH-C14

16GB GSkill 1866

XFX 1000watt PSU

2 XFX HD 6950 in xfire

Crucial 128GB SSD

CoolerMaster Storm Scout

Well, good to know someone with a similar PC still gets those brief bouts of chug during combat.

Hi i have just built a new comp with the parts

cpu: Amd fx 6100 3.3 ghz 6 core overclocked to 4ghz $150

gpu: msi radeon hd 6870 1gb ddr5 (factory overclocked) $260

motherboard: asrock 970 extreme 3 am3 + support up to 8 core 125w $126

ram: g skill 8gb ddr3 1333 mhz $34

hdd: 260gb asus standard hdd $ 40

power supply: 700w antec $140

windows 7 64 bit

now im running this game on max settings at 1920x1080p with a avarage fps of 120 to 140

for anyone out there looking for a cheap build that is going to run it well this is it this system has only cost me around $700 this system runs great with very fast loading times too

windows 7 64 bit

now im running this game on max settings at 1920x1080p with a avarage fps of 120 to 140

for anyone out there looking for a cheap build that is going to run it well this is it this system has only cost me around $700 this system runs great with very fast loading times too

That is interesting - How did you overcome the internal BW set limit of 110(1) fps? :rolleyes:

I'm running an i7 2600K OC'd to 4.5, with 16gb of Corsair Veng mem, 2x EVGA GTX 570's in SLI and all I seem to be able to manage is 110(1)... ;)

Edited by Rasstavad

Fraps Test of My Build

Noctua NH-C14

16GB GSkill 1866

XFX 1000watt PSU

2 XFX HD 6950 in xfire

Crucial 128GB SSD

CoolerMaster Storm Scout

Would love to see you fraps a typical Warzone and fleet with plenty of people around. Just courious, thats all.

windows 7 64 bit

Please stop posting you can not get 120 FPS

The FX 6100 is just bad for gaming no mater what you overclock it to.

http://budget-gaming-computers.com/gaming-cpu-ranking-chart.html

Antec DOES NOT MAKE A 700 WATT PSU

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/index.php?page=support_productInfo&Category=24

Edited by blowmedown

Wow this is awesome. Whats the main difference running two GPUs at x16 instead of both at x8? and can you run one at x16 and one at x8 (altough i doubt you can)

larger letters and brighter colors please cause people might start wondering about your P.C

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this tread! My Graphics card a GeForce GTS 240 gave out this morning. It was grinding something fierce! We couldn't even have the computer on with out that horrific noise!

After finding this list I made the decision to go with a GeForce GT 520 2GB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card. Its not the "best" available but it will work for what we need and the funds we have available right now. We found on on sale for $60 off of $100 at the local Best Buy.

We'll upgrade again once we have the funds to do so. But for a quick & inexpensive fix this should do just fine.

Thank again! :)

well after installing the GeForce GT 520 2GB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card in our computer, installing the software and making sure all the drivers are up to date we started up the game.

using the GTS 240 we were able to use the Highest graphic settings with no problem. Now we have a problem. The GT 520 lags unless we lower the settings to Low quality. Can anyone tell me why this happened? Did I forget to install something or make a proper adjustment?

Please keep in mind I am a complete Tech noob. If you need more info let me know how to find it.

Edited by DJNightscream

You need to do a complete un-install of the previous drivers. There is probably something leftover on your system from the GT 240 conflicting with the GT 520 install.

Log into Windows in safemode and use driver sweeper or a similar free program to remove the drivers.

Also, it is usually a good idea to use Ccleaner and do a registry clean. (be careful though, and use the built in registry backup so you don't accidently break anything.)

Then you re-boot into the OS normally and re-install the new drivers. Make sure you have the newest ones downloaded from the nVidia website.

Also, when you buy nvidia video cards, the second number denotes the performance of the card. the 520 (x20) is even more low-end than your previous 240 (x40) even though it is a newer graphics card.

Your older graphics card was actually more powerful.

If you buy a new video card, do some research and try to pricematch online. There are some vendors that will pricematch and you will get a nice new graphics card for much less than Bestbuy prices.

Edited by theskurGe

yeah thanks for the help. I completely uninstalled the drivers (both of them) cleaned out my registry and ran CCleaner (just in case)

reinstalled the drivers for my current Vidcard and tried again. It sill only plays smoothly in the Low Graphics setting. Anything higher and it gets jerky and the response time is laggy.

Oddly enough it plays WoW in the High Graphic settings just fine.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'll play with it and see what graphics I can run on high with out slowing down. :)

As this isn't my personal computer (its my boyfriends) I'm not looking to invest a lot of my personal funds (he's paying me back the $60 for this vidcard) so until he will pay for a better card or a replacement of the old...were good.

**Edit 4:31pm**

Well after playing with the preferences offered in the graphics section I learned I can basically have every setting on high except for the Anti Aliasing and Shadow Quality which I leave in Low and Bloom which I toggle off. Everything else is left in the High setting and it runs perfectly. No lag what so ever.

Edited by DJNightscream

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for some advice on improving my performance when playing SWTOR. Right now the game runs okay with everything on high, except for shadows, which I keep on low.

Here are my system specs:

Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad-Core

RAM: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express

Does it seem like one of these components is holding me back?

I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU to this or increasing the RAM.

where can you find the menu which shows you what kind of softwares or CPU you have on your laptop or computer

You should be able to find everything you need by going to Start Menu>All programs> Accessories> system tools> system information.

The System Summary section should show what kind of processor you have and how much RAM (memory) you have. To see your graphics card you'll need to open the Components category and select Display.

Hello, Greetings and Salutations’,

I am researching a new Personal Computer build for home use.

Primary use: On-line Gaming for such games as World of Warcraft, Star Trek On-line, City of Heroes/City of Villains and most recently Star Wars the Old Republic.

What are the recommended or suggested hardware components and configuration to gain maximum performance and quality in a balanced application using the

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard?

Thank you for your time and considerations regarding this request

Sincerely

James Dean Ellis

Jade712@comcast.net

ASUS SUGGESTIONS AND OR RECOMMENDATION

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard?

Or recommendation of ________________________________

CPU: = Intel i7-2600K - 3.4 Ghz? Or the AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 - 3.6 Ghz?

Or recommendation of ________________________________

GPU: = Geforce GTX 590 GDDR5 RAM 1.5GB or 2GB?

Or the Radeon HD 6990? GDDR5 RAM 1.5GB or 2GB

Or recommendation of__________________________________

RAM Memory: = 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or more either in a DDR3 or SDDR3-1333 mhz, 1600 mhz or 2000 mhz or more as per the recommended configuration and amount as per the recommended or suggested Motherboard to use

ROM Memory: = 1 or 2 TB in HDD or SSD or Hybrid HDD/SSD

Power Supply Unit = CORSAIR GOLD 750watt, 850watt, 1050watt or 1200watt?

• 1 month later...

Alright I play this game on a potato and even on the lowest settings I still have fps issues (I'm talking 5 fps in warzones here). I think the problem lies in that I'm wasting RAM by not using a 64-bit OS, but I'm wondering how much of a difference that will actually make.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor +4800 2.50 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 (3.00 Usable)

System: Windows 7 32-bit OS

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS

In more detail:

System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer ELITEGROUP COMPUTER SYSTEM CO.,LTD.

Model NFORCE6M-A

Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM

System type 32-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 2

64-bit capable Yes

Graphics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS

Total available graphics memory 1663 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 384 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 1279 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.8562

Primary monitor resolution 1600x900

DirectX version DirectX 10

So yeah I'm probably going to switch to the 64-bit OS of Windows 7 very soon, since for years now my dad lied to me that my CPU wasn't 64-bit compatible, and have been wasting that last GB of RAM. Regardless, is switching to the 64-bit OS going to be beneficial in the first place? 4GB Ram is already the bare minimum for 64-bit from what I've heard.

Other than this RAM issue though, what do I have that is the "worst" hardware? The CPU is 2.5 GHz and dual core, which seems fine enough, and I've been told before that the GeForce 8800GS is waaaaay outdated and should probably be replaced, but I want to get a second opinion before I jump to conclusions.

Alright I play this game on a potato and even on the lowest settings I still have fps issues (I'm talking 5 fps in warzones here). I think the problem lies in that I'm wasting RAM by not using a 64-bit OS, but I'm wondering how much of a difference that will actually make.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor +4800 2.50 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 (3.00 Usable)

System: Windows 7 32-bit OS

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS

In more detail:

So yeah I'm probably going to switch to the 64-bit OS of Windows 7 very soon, since for years now my dad lied to me that my CPU wasn't 64-bit compatible, and have been wasting that last GB of RAM. Regardless, is switching to the 64-bit OS going to be beneficial in the first place? 4GB Ram is already the bare minimum for 64-bit from what I've heard.

Other than this RAM issue though, what do I have that is the "worst" hardware? The CPU is 2.5 GHz and dual core, which seems fine enough, and I've been told before that the GeForce 8800GS is waaaaay outdated and should probably be replaced, but I want to get a second opinion before I jump to conclusions.

Best thing to do is get/build a new PC and no I would not use a product code on that system for a new operating system to pick up 1gb of memory or even upgrade to 8 GB. Your cpu is old and dated your mother board is using 800mhz ddr2. You can get this for $100 same price as a new operating system and everything else will be holding you back.comes with a free dirt 3 game coupon, your power supply should be fine it draws less watts than the 8800GS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150602

EDIT just not to get me wrong this will help alot but more ram would help some but not as much. Really a system upgrade would be best if you can get them to spend about $ 700 you can build a nice playing system.

Edited by blowmedown