The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Stealth Scan is useless

finkelmana

Am I the only one who finds stealth scan completely useless?

I have never used it in PvE, there simply is no reason to.

Stealth Scan looks like a PvP skill... But it is completely useless in PvP. When fighting a stealth capable sith/jedi and they are losing, they pop their stealth and run away real fast. Even if I pop the stealth scan immediately, I never see them. They have 360 degrees of movement and can go off in any direction. Throwing down stealth scan is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Hot key it right and you're fine. With the stun that can be talented on it and if you move quick, you can certainly surprise that stealther that thinks he's about to backstab you death or has gotten away cleanly. It really ruins their day.

Hot key it right and you're fine. With the stun that can be talented on it and if you move quick, you can certainly surprise that stealther that thinks he's about to backstab you death or has gotten away cleanly. It really ruins their day.

I couldnt care less about someone sneaking up on me. Take the gunslinger ability to stealth up to and blast you for a (decent) chunk of HP, knocking you down. I just get up, pop a shield and kill them, as they cant stealth away.

Its the jedi/sith that stealth and then run away with a few HP left that bug the crap out of me.

Edited by finkelmana

Stealth Scan should be off the GCD (like Riot Strike).. and force run effect should cancel as soon as any stealth effect is applied.

:D

If skilled that way, it stops them, or?

Also its a nice area denial skill, as it stops stealthers from going thogh the area. Nice in Defense of objectives.

If skilled that way, it stops them, or?

Also its a nice area denial skill, as it stops stealthers from going thogh the area. Nice in Defense of objectives.

Yeah, in the SS tree you can get a skill that stuns any enemy for 3 secs if detected. Makes it super useful:)

It is supremely effective in PvP, period. Learn to anticipate. It is definitely difficult to drop it in just the right place at the right time once your opponent has popped his **** skills. However, with just the tiniest bit of thought and anticipation you can have it down BEFORE they pop their **** skills, and thus insta-pop them out of stealth (and root if you have it spec'd).

I have started dropping it right on top of them when they hit 15% health or so and it completely ruins their day if you get it on the ground before they have a chance to disappear.

It is supremely effective in PvP, period. Learn to anticipate. It is definitely difficult to drop it in just the right place at the right time once your opponent has popped his **** skills. However, with just the tiniest bit of thought and anticipation you can have it down BEFORE they pop their **** skills, and thus insta-pop them out of stealth (and root if you have it spec'd).

I have started dropping it right on top of them when they hit 15% health or so and it completely ruins their day if you get it on the ground before they have a chance to disappear.

now that makes sense. However putting 1 or 2 points in the stun seems to be a waste, especially against just 2 stealth classes. The points would be better spent elsewhere.

Edited by finkelmana

I tend to use Explosive Surge more often, as Its way faster to get off then the stealth scan. I also don't have the points invested in the root on for stealth scan.

I typically hit my Explosive surge, I will then see a ghosted enemy running away, I immediately toss IR on them, and start unloading.

I have the points invested in the Assault tree that add +1 to "Stealth Detection" & Add 2% defense chance. Yes the very vague +1 to a non theory crafted stat actually seems to help me quite a bit.

I also use our area root right after if explosive surge does not get them.

I couldnt care less about someone sneaking up on me. Take the gunslinger ability to stealth up to and blast you for a (decent) chunk of HP, knocking you down. I just get up, pop a shield and kill them, as they cant stealth away.

Its the jedi/sith that stealth and then run away with a few HP left that bug the crap out of me.

Scoundrels can cleanse dots, vanish and run as well. They just can't force speed away in stealth too, which is likely why Shadows/Assassins are getting away before you stealth scan. Scrappers do get a skill that makes their vanish give them a 50% speed buff for 6 seconds though.

Edited by WinterWraith

It's instant... how much faster do you want it to be?

It's on a 20-some second cool down, and can counter skills that are on 180 second cool downs.

An assassin has to use 3 cooldowns to escape you as a vanguard:

Force Cloak (to hide) 2 - 3m cd.

Force Speed (to move fast out of the way of scan) 20-30s cd.

Force Shroud (to remove the dots) 45-60s cd.

If one of those isn't available he will not escape.

now that makes sense. However putting 1 or 2 points in the stun seems to be a waste, especially against just 2 stealth classes. The points would be better spent elsewhere.

Well, I find that I draw HUGE amounts of marauder aggro when I'm PvP'ing. Mostly, I think, because I am generally trying to protect a healer. The instant root has saved my bacon more than a few times when they try to use their force shroud to get a speed boost to get back on top of me.

Also note that marauders are not a stealth class, they just have an escape that is stealth related. I don't really get alot of use from stealth scan sniffing out regular stealthers but for finishing off a kill when someone tries to ****... yeah.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's useful on HK-47 in False Emperor for the Assassinate ability he does. Other than that I haven't seen any use in PvE for it.

It's a damn good PvP ability if you're predicting an enemies movement.

As stated, it's situational. I've found uses for it both in PvE and PvP.

In PvE there are mobs, especially on Ilum it seems, that do vanish mid-fight temporarily, so popping stealth scan then is handy. Plus in FE and Battle for Ilum FPs there are mobs that start out stealthed so hitting them with SS pre-pull is handy, makes it easier for new tanks to pick em up.

As for PvP, I mostly use it to scare stealthers away from objectives by dropping it fairly often on said objective.