Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So who stuck around?

ChefMasterRock

You know what is funny, You, Tarka and I all saw this coming as soon as they announced details of the space combat. How many subs did that alone cost Bioware?

They should hire us on as advisors for their next project.

Yes, because SWG did oh so well, even when they added the (poorly implemented and boring, save for the crafting aspect) space game. :rolleyes:

I'm as much a proponent of adding free roam 3D space to this game as the next guy, but your claims and assumptions are getting a little more ridiculous by the day. Same as using Xfire and comments by it's President, who will say just about anything to make his product look good in an attempt to entice more users.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think it may be too early for "I told you so's". I'm less interested in box sales and more interested in sub retention beyond the obligatory "honeymoon period" that we're currently in.

I don't think this game has a chance honestly. I was dubious, waiting for 1.2 to see if they did anything drastic and risky. I didn't see it.

I also don't see it turning around. Not with the current guys (whoever they are) calling the shots. Just took an exit survey for unsubbing and they were asking all the wrong questions as to why I was leaving. Bioware has lost it, they are not the company they used to be.

Not many people stuck around.

Bioware won't give exact numbers, EA will have to at their next investors meeting.

Bioware did say 3.3 millions characters have been created so far. Everyone I know makes 8 chars just to reserve names, so divide that by 8 is 412000, then knock off a bunch of those who unsubbed, probably 2/3 and you're at 272000 accounts probably active. I'd expect that number to keep plummeting. *The 272k is probably fairly accurate looking at numbers so far extrapolated by the community*

It shows too with their scheduled changes. Least amount of work to make as many patch notes as possible to make it look like a lot of work. It's obvious theyre scaling back support for the game.

No new races, just make the races we have available to all. No neutral gear just remove all the restrictions. No better engine to have more than 8 people in a warzone, just reskin a current warzone and call it new. On and on.

Game is finito. TORtanic.

Hello, your Statistical Analysis 1101 course called. It wants to see you again soon.

Thanks for the snickers.

That is your fine little homebrewed number based off conjecture.

That's all we see on this forum, from both sides. Conjecture and assumptions based on anecdotal experiences and personal preferences. The only official word we have had is that as of Feb 1st there were 1.7 million subs, everything else is conjecture/assumption.

Yes, because SWG did oh so well, even when they added the (poorly implemented and boring, save for the crafting aspect) space game. :rolleyes:

I'm as much a proponent of adding free roam 3D space to this game as the next guy, but your claims and assumptions are getting a little more ridiculous by the day. Same as using Xfire and comments by it's President, who will say just about anything to make his product look good in an attempt to entice more users.

Your entire post is off. I hated SWG, space combat was the ONLY thing I liked about it.

Darth Hater sat in on a shareholders call a while back where they were talking about this. They were hanging around 1.6 million active subscribers out of a little over 2million in box sales. They will break even if they can maintain 500k subscribers. At a million, they said the profits are "nothing to write home about". They probably need upwards of 2 million active, long-term subcsribers if they want to generate enough revenue to maintain and create content with all the voice acting and cinematics.

1.2 is already pushed back to "sometime in early April" per the guild summit. I'm not sure how many folks are going to wait around that long for basic features that were launching with MMOs 5 years ago. I know 10 people in my guild, including me, who are just running WZs and leveling alts for story until our subs die.

At the very worst, this game will just stagnate and keep the people who are already happy with this beta product as is. Not the end of the world.

I don't think this game has a chance honestly. I was dubious, waiting for 1.2 to see if they did anything drastic and risky. I didn't see it.

I also don't see it turning around. Not with the current guys (whoever they are) calling the shots. Just took an exit survey for unsubbing and they were asking all the wrong questions as to why I was leaving. Bioware has lost it, they are not the company they used to be.

Now I don't think BioWare has "lost it."

Personally I don't think they "had it" too begin with.

:p

Now I don't think BioWare has "lost it."

Personally I don't think they "had it" too begin with.

:p

Basically this.

I was never a believer -- never to the degree I was in, say, Blizzard prior to WoW. Bioware has produced some good single player games, but this forray into the realm of the multiplayer has demonstrated that their talents are limited to what they have experience in. And, even then, I think a lot of their single-player work was stilted and pandering.

This article should be a red flag to anyone who thinks the game is still enjoying some kind of record growth period.

Edited by AJediKnight

Just go back and read all the blogs, articles or anything else to do with the pre release hype and tell me they delivered on their promises. You don't even need to go that far if you dont want to. Just watch the trailers on this site promoting things like the crafting system and companions and have a good laugh.

I think that perhaps you're making a few wild assumptions here.

Also, I'm not going to go into the whole SWG / JTL discussion, other than to say that JTL was never meant to be the saviour of the the entirety of SWG.

Lastly, just because one game implemented something and didn't do extremely well, doesn't mean that the very basic concept is essentially flawed. If that was truely the case then we wouldn't have a lot of features in MMO's that we have now.

For instance, voice over has been in MMO's for years now to varying degrees. And just because AOC went F2P, does that mean that the basic concept of using voice over in an MMO is flawed? Nope.

Edited by Tarka

Hello everyone,

The questions the OP asked was answered and this thread has derailed into another conversation. In order to keep the forums tidy and conversations in one place please use this thread to discuss the topic of server populations and subs, we will be closing this current thread. Thank You!