Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So who stuck around?

ChefMasterRock

Fellow members of SWTOR Nation:

SWTOR may have set many records at it's release, in terms of numbers, but that was purely becuase of hype. With the first official quarter of the new year drawing to a close, I'm actually pretty curious as to what the Retention Rate of the game has been in respect to remaining subscribers. Is anyone else curious about this?

I haven't had much time to search around, so if they have already reported new numbers I apologize for the pointless post.

Peace,

Chef

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many people stuck around.

Bioware won't give exact numbers, EA will have to at their next investors meeting.

Bioware did say 3.3 millions characters have been created so far. Everyone I know makes 8 chars just to reserve names, so divide that by 8 is 412000, then knock off a bunch of those who unsubbed, probably 2/3 and you're at 272000 accounts probably active. I'd expect that number to keep plummeting. *The 272k is probably fairly accurate looking at numbers so far extrapolated by the community*

It shows too with their scheduled changes. Least amount of work to make as many patch notes as possible to make it look like a lot of work. It's obvious theyre scaling back support for the game.

No new races, just make the races we have available to all. No neutral gear just remove all the restrictions. No better engine to have more than 8 people in a warzone, just reskin a current warzone and call it new. On and on.

Game is finito. TORtanic.

Edited by HKDeath

Not many people stuck around.

Bioware won't give exact numbers, EA will have to at their next investors meeting.

Bioware did say 3.3 millions characters have been created so far. Everyone I know makes 8 chars just to reserve names, so divide that by 8 is 412000, then knock off a bunch of those who unsubbed, probably 2/3 and you're at 272000 accounts probably active. I'd expect that number to keep plummeting.

It shows too with their scheduled changes. Least amount of work to make as many patch notes as possible to make it look like a lot of work. It's obvious theyre scaling back support for the game.

No new classes, just make the classes we have available to all. No neutral gear just remove all the restrictions. No better engine to have more than 8 people in a warzone, just reskin a current warzone and call it new. On and on.

Game is finito.

This is one of the most idiotic analyses I have ever seen. Thank you, it made me laugh.

This is one of the most idiotic analyses I have ever seen. Thank you, it made me laugh.

Yeah i like the part where everyone he knows makes 8 characters, so obviously that means the entire 3.3 million...LOL.

During the Bioware tour a friend of mine who was invited asked about specific numbers; he was told:

Way over two million and that they would be giving a subscriber update when 1.2 launches.

Given the fact that 3 million box sales alone plus the Asian launch...it's pretty apparent that the sub numbers are over 3 million...which kinda makes the whole Trotanic thing look silly.

They are moving heaven and earth to boost subs before the beginning of May, the next EA earnings report. Hence dumping of Sith on the Republic and tossing lore out the window, hence the jebesus patch 1.2 to end all patches, the free trials for friends deal, and basically making as much noise as possible to get those subs up before the conference call.

Everything and anything is being done to make it look like the game is not tanking.

They are moving heaven and earth to boost subs before the beginning of May, the next EA earnings report. Hence dumping of Sith on the Republic and tossing lore out the window, hence the jebesus patch 1.2 to end all patches, the free trials for friends deal, and basically making as much noise as possible to get those subs up before the conference call.

Everything and anything is being done to make it look like the game is not tanking.

Yeah....because over 3 million in sales and subs is tanking.

:rolleyes:

During the Bioware tour a friend of mine who was invited asked about specific numbers; he was told:

Way over two million and that they would be giving a subscriber update when 1.2 launches.

Given the fact that 3 million box sales alone plus the Asian launch...it's pretty apparent that the sub numbers are over 3 million...which kinda makes the whole Trotanic thing look silly.

Yep.

It's fairly easy to figure out right now too since it's clear that Standard = 1000-1500 people logged into a server. 95% of servers are STANDARD or higher at prime time. If you do the math, and assume the norm for % logged in (ie: 15% of subs) you have well over 2 million active subs.

I would assume HKDeath was having some sort of "senior moment", but then I remembered that he is a prolific negative poster who clings to the forums to spread his message of hate. :)

so if they post higher numbers (i doubt they include trials as account) you would blame it on the fact they are successfully advertising and bringing new people into the game?

Hope they post retention rates so one side or the other can finally shut up, because both sides are grasping at straws until the quarter is over and numbers are posted.

Edited by Trineda
removed quote

Hey ya Panzer.

Didn't you rage quit a while ago???

Well I'm certainly anxious to see these numbers whenever they are finally forced to divy up for the investors. The investors probably are too. I'm sure there are plenty of them who are on their toes with all the back-and-forth raging from the players about how the game sucks/doesn't suck. I'm also curious as to how many people REALLY think this game is going down the pipe (i personally detest the idea of rejection without patience). Unfortunately, until we see actual figures all we will know is the opinions of others.

As for the person who wrote the TORtanic post - I was referring to an actual set of numbers being released, not what you and your friends think. "TORtanic" is pretty creative although i'm sure you probably didn't come up with it yourself

Except all you doomsayers seem to have missed the fact they have released numbers, 2M sold, 1.7M active subs, which is an 85% retention rate.

http://www.swtor.com/news/press-release/20120201

Austin, Texas – February 1, 2012 – Just six weeks after launching one of the most anticipated videogames of all time, BioWare™, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), is continuing to set new standards in online games with Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Already the fastest growing subscription MMO ever, Star Wars: The Old Republic has sold over 2 million copies, with a thriving base of over 1.7 million active subscribers, as gamers around the world have immersed themselves in the story-driven, online Star Wars universe from BioWare and LucasArts. Helping drive The Old Republic’s early success has been the quality and reliability of the game’s service, with servers being available for more than 99.5% of the time outside of scheduled maintenance. BioWare has also delivered on the promise of continually adding new content by releasing Rise of the Rakghouls, which added new, higher level group content, less than 30 days after launch. The next game update, featuring even more content, new game systems and additional guild features, is scheduled to be released in Spring 2012.

It's fairly easy to figure out right now too since it's clear that Standard = 1000-1500 people logged into a server. 95% of servers are STANDARD or higher at prime time. If you do the math, and assume the norm for % logged in (ie: 15% of subs) you have well over 2 million active subs.

This is reasonable at first glance, but you need to make three large assumptions for that math to work out.

Except all you doomsayers seem to have missed the fact they have released numbers, 2M sold, 1.7M active subs, which is an 85% retention rate.

There is no way in hell this game is currently holding an 85% player retention rate. Just so we are clear on the meaning, 85% of the people that have purchased the game are still actively subbed.

No freaking way.

Yeah i like the part where everyone he knows makes 8 characters, so obviously that means the entire 3.3 million...LOL.

You know...I can hate on TOR with the best of them, but that was really bad.

OP: I doubt we hear new sub numbers until the next EA quarterly conference call. That should be in early May.

That was a month ago. The numbers have changed. The last time I saw reported sales from retail outlets, the sales for TOR slowed immensely after the first 2-3 weeks.

Another way of looking at that is they lost 15% of the subscriber base in the first month. That's a pretty steep loss rate.

We'll know more in May when EA has their next quarter end conference call.

You catch that last paragraph on that page? Here it is.

The Xfire user-base is a strong trend indicator for gaming titles like Star Wars: The Old Republic and World of Warcraft," said Xfire Chief Marketing Officer, Juston Brommel, "One of the core product features that attract gamers to Xfire is the ability for users to track their game hours. This data gives Xfire and DFC terabits of insightful trends into which games users are playing and how often.

Well, what does xfire say about the subs? Here you go;

http://beta.xfire.com/games/swtor