How do you target?

Flyguybc

So I'm playing around with trying to be more efficient at targeting in PvP.

Right now I've tried "target next" and "target center of screen".

I haven't really found one I like yet. If there is a mass in front of me then target center screen doesn't work very well, and targets friendlies in the mass too. Target nearest/next enemy works ok, but I have a hard time targeting specific individuals quickly when I need to quickly switch.

What does everyone else use?

(I'm trying to not have to use the mouse so I can use the mouse for movement.)

So I'm playing around with trying to be more efficient at targeting in PvP.

Right now I've tried "target next" and "target center of screen".

I haven't really found one I like yet. If there is a mass in front of me then target center screen doesn't work very well, and targets friendlies in the mass too. Target nearest/next enemy works ok, but I have a hard time targeting specific individuals quickly when I need to quickly switch.

What does everyone else use?

(I'm trying to not have to use the mouse so I can use the mouse for movement.)

Clicking them or using Tab are the only options I know of.

None of them is ideal.

Clicking is slow, unresponsive and sometimes buggy. You'll also click into your chat window occasionally.

Tab targeting is random, unpredictable and unresponsive. You might cycle through 4-5 targets before you actually get the guy right in front of you. This is especially frustrating when you need a target to build Focus.

I use my scroll, scroll up is tab target, scroll down is tab friendly.

Huh, I am totally going to try using that now.

In all the other MMOs I've played, I have done well just tabbing and clicking. However, for whatever reason(s) I seem to have trouble with that in swtor. Especially clicking on things with a ton of action going on in the screen.

I use tab or click on the target.

I have found that if you cancel your current target (hit escape, or click on terrain if you have that set up) the tab targetting feature more accurately targets the player that I'm directly facing and is nearest to me. Sometimes I'll be tabbing and it'll be selecting players behind me, I quickly hit escape, then tab again, and voila, the guy I want is center stage.

For friendly targets I click on them in the raid frames, easiest way I've found so far.

generally I tab/shift tab if in a rush for a target, then have target nearest to refine that once I'm in the fray and on top of someone. also mouse clicking works fine I just find the UI clunky for target picking via clicking, so only use that if i see someone low on health in PVP and want to finish them off.