Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1.2 is "The Messiah of all Patches"

BOLTgamer

I can't believe some people get so excited for empty promises.

You'd think it was their first MMO.

No, it's most likely YOUR first mmo, except of course WoW.

People said the same about WoW, do you think WoW magically launched with full servers and everyone playing it? No, the prime subscription gain for WoW was WoTlk since it introduced casual players.

WoW launched with NO Bg's, no raids, and a couple of dungeouns

And lemme bother this:

WoW is using the same tech SWTOR is using.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then they should shut down the forums. I'm glad someone can answer every future suggestion I may ever have. Well played BW.

But then there would be no place to complain.

It's fairly common in the MMO world to have started working on the first content update before to game is launched.

Heck, we already know legacy was being worked on....

Theres a few things you've got wrong in your post. Some of those features are not in 1.2 but are upcomming in the future such as Animal mounts / chat bubbles (pretty sure they said that wasn't in 1.2).

Awwww.. but it's fun when people take misinterpreted developer quotes out of context leading to false assumptions which in turn become incorrect "confirmed" features, resulting in massive dissapointment when what actually WAS promised finally comes out without it. And here you had to go and spoil it.

No, it's most likely YOUR first mmo, except of course WoW.

People said the same about WoW, do you think WoW magically launched with full servers and everyone playing it? No, the prime subscription gain for WoW was WoTlk since it introduced casual players.

WoW launched with NO Bg's, no raids, and a couple of dungeouns

And lemme bother this:

WoW is using the same tech SWTOR is using.

Problem is - With wow it took you a lot longer to get to 60, and to clear those dungeons - along with 10 man dungeons which was kind of like a mini raid (before they got changed) and raiding content took weeks to clear.

Swtor has tried to keep up with the more casual player. As for the comment about WOTLK That Im not too sure about. Personally I'd say it was TBC - but Im not bothered about that, nor can I be bothered to check who's right and who's wrong.

Awwww.. but it's fun when people take misinterpreted developer quotes out of context leading to false assumptions which in turn become incorrect "confirmed" features, resulting in massive dissapointment when what actually WAS promised finally comes out without it. And here you had to go and spoil it.

Your welcome.

Edited by Mysquine

Please provide proof that I am wrong. Thanks.

You made the claim, it's up to you to prove it.

I don't know if some of the stuff (other then legacy) was suppose to be in at launch. I don't know that it was the Hero engine that held them up. You claim it was. Now prove it....or at least admit that that's your opinion.

So your comparing it to games that have had time to add things. Ok, just making sure.

May I suggest checking out other MMO's at launch. You may see a pattern.

May I suggest you actually pay attention to context. Rift had more features at launch. Rift launched 9 months before TOR, had a significantly smaller budget and shorter development time.

If you have something constructive to add to this discussion, please do so. There are plenty of pure feel good threads I am avoiding because I don't want to interrupt the party.

Edited by Arzhanin
Rude comments

It's really the same crap with the people in this community. They refuse to understand things and it's honestly like beating a dead horse. You can't compare a game at launch to a game that has been out for years. You can only compare the same 2 games at the time they did launch. To explain why yet again is pointless. People don't care to open their minds. Also, building an MMO takes countless time and resources. It's also the same technology used for all the other MMO's.

I'm leaving it at this. :-/

Oh, and don't forget all the customization and other item changes to that list. Actually, plenty is missing from that list but theres too much to even remember. :p

EDIT: THANK you to the smart people in this thread who are also stating what I just did before I did. I missed your replies originally, otherwise I would have quoted quite a few of you.

Edited by SillyTurtle

I like how people expect the world from any brand new MMO launch, yet are disappointed game after game. Also, many F2P games are licensed from Asia, so they have months/years of post-launch development going for them.

Rift did not have LFG tool at launch.

WoW didnt dissapoint me at launch, because it took what everquest did and made it better, to bad SWTOR didn't take what WoW did and make it better.

May I suggest you actually pay attention to context. Rift had more features at launch. Rift launched 9 months before TOR, had a significantly smaller budget and shorter development time.

If you have something constructive to add to this discussion, please do so. There are plenty of pure feel good threads I am avoiding because I don't want to interrupt the party.

If it had so much, why did people leave in droves?

Edit:

And SWTOR had the highest retention rate of any MMO launch?

Edited by Arzhanin
Quoted removed content

It's really the same crap with the people in this community. They refuse to understand things and it's honestly like beating a dead horse. You can't compare a game at launch to a game that has been out for years. You can only compare the same 2 games at the time they did launch. To explain why yet again is pointless. People don't care to open their minds. Also, building an MMO takes countless time and resources.

Nope. Explain why GW2 will have all these features in launch then? It must be the time and resources!!! :rolleyes:

I know it is a little outside of the 6 month mark, but Rift was released 9 months before TOR. It had more features at release. It didn't vary from the WoW model, so it didn't keep my interest for very long.

No it didn't, and it had way less of a population as well.

There are some things that should/could have been in launch, were almost out of beta guys!

you know? Well they weren't at launch. Stop with that remark to try and somehow make the game look bad. This stuff is coming out and this is a messiah patch just like people are saying on the net.

"jesus patch"

"an expansion of it's own"

"the great messiah of mmo patches'

that's what I read off a lot of sites' forums about this patch.

If this is just a content release just imagine what an expansion will bring!! :D :D

In 2004 the basic fetaures were not the norm yet. In 2012 swtor is missing alot of basic features. Comparing swtor 2012 to a 2004 game is fine if this was 2004! Edited by Arzhanin
Rude comments

If it had so much, why did people leave in droves?

Edit:

And SWTOR had the highest retention rate of any MMO launch?

The Star Wars name keeps people playing not how "good" the game is.

it failed so badly because despite having the features of WoW it copied to much of the game style of WoW, tho the more i think of it this really just feels like WoW with lightsabers with less features o.o

In 2004 the basic fetaures were not the norm yet. In 2012 swtor is missing alot of basic features. To ignore this is just being a fanboi. Comparing swtor 2012 to a 2004 game is fine if this was 2004!

It took Rift 4+ months to put in LFG system and guild bank.

Just sayin.

Nope. Explain why GW2 will have all these features in launch then? It must be the time and resources!!! :rolleyes:

Because EA wanted them to launch when they did instead of delaying the game again for like the 5th time. We are talking 3 months here... thats nothing. They let them take more and more time multiple times and EA let them until they felt it was good enough to launch and let patches fill in the rest as they go.

That game didnt even come out yet, can you seriously compare the two yet...?

Explain that.

Edited by SillyTurtle

Seriously, they are adding:

1. Ingame events

2. New warzone

3. New flashpoint

4. New Operation

5. Better Crafting

6. Legacy

7. More RP places

8. Chat bubbles

9. Animal Mounts

10. Ranked WZ's

AND much much moree!!1

This is like a wow expansion!!!

STOP complaining, have fun, if you don't have fun dont play, bye :)

IMHO it's missing some important parts, being:

#1: Nothing for server population balance: Have fun playing on an empty server!

#2: How about improving the "Dead, Lifeless, Boring, Stagnant, Monotone, Uninspired Worlds"

#3: New/better character body customization, gear dyes, hiding equipment slots: it's still Dr Jekill twin wars

#4: @#$% loading screens?

#5: World PvP on every planets? "You know like there were real PvP servers.

Down to (long term) 3D free roaming multiplayer space sim?

Now what I was impressed with, is they find a new way to p.ss off a good chunk of the player base allowing, for example, IA to use force choke.

Edited by Deewe

In 2004 the basic fetaures were not the norm yet. In 2012 swtor is missing alot of basic features. To ignore this is just being a fanboi. Comparing swtor 2012 to a 2004 game is fine if this was 2004!

People keep saying this, and no matter how many time they do it still don't make it true.

No it didn't, and it had way less of a population as well.

Actually they had well over a million subs at it's peak. That is respectable for a no name dev coming out of left field. On a whole, I would say they did remarkably well considering.

But w/e. Yea, TOR might have more population but we are all in different instances. Rift is a true open world MMO. TOR is the modern day AoC with 50% more loading and worse graphics.

Edited by fixit

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.