Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Part About 1.2 Skipped Over

Joonbeams

Lol. No disrespect intended, but did you just make that up?

1 flashpoint, 1 warzone and 1 operation is hardly going to keep people in new content for long. There is still a great deal missing from this game. Just throwing fp's, warzones and ops at it isn't enough.

There's still a lot missing from this game that isn't coming in 1.2

Still, it's nice to know that they have "designs" for things like minigames. The big question is whether or not such designs will ever be realised. And if so, will they come in time?

You must not have watched the summit.

the new ops is different.

Hardmode and nightmare will have different loot tables.

They acknowledged that nightmare was easier then intended at launch so in 1.2 they are ramping up the difficulty by adding mechanics to nightmare mode along with nightmare grade loot.

They are adding progression in 1.2.

1.2 is the start of preseason RANKED pvp and includes a new pvp set "war hero".

Also gearing in 1.2 will take longer.

There is a new tier of pvp gear and pve gear but in order to get the bis you need to get the crit crafted oranges and mod them out and agument them.

So I think that 1.2 will keep many people busy for a solid 3-4months with endgame alone.

That doesn't include legacy.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to keep doing this Tarka, but they said character xfers are coming in April.

ie. they are working on it now.

I think DE said that transfers weren't coming in the "immediate future", which makes me think its going to be later then April.

Lol. No disrespect intended, but did you just make that up?

1 flashpoint, 1 warzone and 1 operation is hardly going to keep people in new content for long. There is still a great deal missing from this game. Just throwing fp's, warzones and ops at it isn't enough.

There's still a lot missing from this game that isn't coming in 1.2

Still, it's nice to know that they have "designs" for things like minigames. The big question is whether or not such designs will ever be realised. And if so, will they come in time?

Here's a different one for you. "Good things come to those who wait."

I certainly intend to play some other games for a while when I get bored of this one (not there quite yet!). But unlike you, I'm sure the game will still be here when I come back. And I'm sure there will be plenty of new content when I do.

Hate to keep doing this Tarka, but they said character xfers are coming in April.

ie. they are working on it now.

To my knowledge, I don't think they gave a date. Just implied that it's coming sometime after 1.2. Maybe I missed it?

They made a rought pass over "amibience" in general. But didn't go too much into specifics. They never mentioned things like Day/night cycles, more weather effects, dynamic interaction between mobs or anything like that.

I think they stated more critters walking, more NPCs talking...more NPCs in general.

Adding RP zones.

To much to remember. I need the recording now. lol

To my knowledge, I don't think they gave a date. Just implied that it's coming sometime after 1.2. Maybe I missed it?

No date, but target is April.

(There is a thread about it for the Asia/Pacific xfers.)

Here's a different one for you. "Good things come to those who wait."

I certainly intend to play some other games for a while when I get bored of this one (not there quite yet!). But unlike you, I'm sure the game will still be here when I come back. And I'm sure there will be plenty of new content when I do.

It's not a good move to imply that others should have patience whilst they are being encouraged to continue to pay a sub. That's just as bad as telling people to quit.

Now, it's also unwise to put words into peoples mouths. Have I actually said that I don't think the game will be here if I quitted and then later decided to come back? Nope.

The new content will undoubtedly fulfill some peoples needs and requirements. But if these forums, and ingame conversations are anything to go by, the content coming in 1.2 is far from being adequate to keep people occupied for much longer than a few weeks at best.

Edited by Tarka

No date, but target is April.

(There is a thread about it for the Asia/Pacific xfers.)

Ah sorry, I know they said transfers specifically for Asia / Pacific, but that wasn't what I was referring to. I don't think they have confirmed that transfers in general between ALL servers will be possible at that time.

Edited by Tarka

Well, after watching the entire summit thing, it seems that the devs are very reluctant to do things like server merges. They don't even seem to think Character Transfers are very high priority.

Instead, they seem to think that adding MORE incentives to rolling alts will help balance the servers lol. :rolleyes:

Server merges are not a priority because EA won't allow them. The public perception of server merges is the game is dieing. EA doesn't want that sort of bad publicity right now.

Your example is has a huge flaw. If two Sith have a baby, they don't get to choose if the baby will be Sith. All force sensitive children are sent to Korriban for training. That is the law. The child gets no choice in the matter. The child will either excel as a Sith or die in the academy. On rare occasions, children are able to escape Korriban, but they will be outcasts in Sith society and I doubt the Mandalorians will want to train someone who couldn't cut it as a Sith.

It's kind of pointless to argue this though. You aren't going to change my mind. It's kind of like how some people are completely against the Pandaren in WoW. It doesn't matter how much logic you throw at me, I don't like the concept.

Well let me just blow up your comment with: Laws get broken, exceptions are made, and new story's are born.

Its fine to not like the concept no one is forcing it on you even though you make it seem like they are lol.

It's not a good move to imply that others should have patience whilst they are being encouraged to continue to pay a sub. That's just as bad as telling people to quit.

Now, it's also unwise to put words into peoples mouths. Have I actually said that I don't think the game will be here if I quitted and then later decided to come back? Nope.

The new content will undoubtedly fulfill some peoples needs and requirements. But if these forums, and ingame conversations are anything to go by, the content coming in 1.2 is far from being adequate to keep people occupied for much longer than a few weeks at best.

What content were you expecting/hoping for in 1.2?

Server merges are not a priority because EA won't allow them. The public perception of server merges is the game is dieing. EA doesn't want that sort of bad publicity right now.

Love your sig quote btw :)

It's a shame that the good doctors know how to "talk the talk" but their latest game at the moment struggles to "walk the walk".

You must not have watched the summit.

the new ops is different.

Hardmode and nightmare will have different loot tables.

They acknowledged that nightmare was easier then intended at launch so in 1.2 they are ramping up the difficulty by adding mechanics to nightmare mode along with nightmare grade loot.

They are adding progression in 1.2.

1.2 is the start of preseason RANKED pvp and includes a new pvp set "war hero".

Also gearing in 1.2 will take longer.

There is a new tier of pvp gear and pve gear but in order to get the bis you need to get the crit crafted oranges and mod them out and agument them.

So I think that 1.2 will keep many people busy for a solid 3-4months with endgame alone.

That doesn't include legacy.

All wonderfull new additions to the game and would have been something I would have enjoyed a few years back.

These days my style of gameplay has adjusted with my age and levels of responsibility, and as a result none of the above will do anything to keep me entertained. It seems that future announcements including the bulk of 1.2 will cater towards group content. For me thats a shame, it's a good game and something different after 15 yrs of elves & dwarves but it looks as though this is not the game for me. Project Titan is released in 2013 and it's supposed to be Sci Fi, perhaphs it will be more solo friendly by offering character progression at level cap.

Edited by NoxiousAlby

Well let me just blow up your comment with: Laws get broken, exceptions are made, and new story's are born.

Its fine to not like the concept no one is forcing it on you even though you make it seem like they are lol.

What's this, classes using "non-class" abilities? That's TOTALLY not in the lore. :mad::mad::mad::mad: BW totally changed the "real Star Wars." Force-weilding Jedi shooting blasters?! The horrahhh! Oh wait, nm. http://www.originalprop.com/blog/movie-guns/star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope/

What content were you expecting/hoping for in 1.2?

It's not what is in 1.2 that I was hoping to have been given some information on. It's what comes after it that I was curious about. Perhaps even a "Development Roadmap"?

Essentially the "Guild Summit" ended up being what I thought it was going to be: basically a PR showcase for 1.2. No more.

They refused to talk about certain other parts, because that's Bioware. But using the "mushroom method" for communication may (note, I didn't say "will") end up biting them in the proverbial ***.

Edited by Tarka

Sorry, I don't really RP. I like my class defining abilities to stay in that class. It's a jump the shark moment for me and we haven't finished the first quarter year of TOR's existence.

Lots of people seem to like the idea that their character picked up a trick or two from the other classes and it doesn't affect balance in any way, I'm sorry the prospect doesn't sound fun for you, bye?

It's not what is in 1.2 that I was hoping to have been given some information on. It's what comes after it that I was curious about. Perhaps even a "Development Roadmap"?

Essentially the "Guild Summit" ended up being what I thought it was going to be: basically a PR showcase for 1.2. No more.

They refused to talk about certain other parts, because that's Bioware. But using the "mushroom method" for communication may (note, I didn't say "will") end up biting them in the proverbial ***.

A point you talked about earlier were minigames.

They stated things like Pazzakk (spelling) and racing were coming in the future.

Also guild capital ships already in the works.

What else were you talking about?

Love your sig quote btw :)

It's a shame that the good doctors know how to "talk the talk" but their latest game at the moment struggles to "walk the walk".

Thanks. I love the quote. It's a very cool game design concept.

Unfortunately, Bioware did a poor job of learning from the mistakes of their peers. Many of the major flaws could have been defused with better communication and better peer analysis to make sure TOR didn't repeat avoidable mistakes.

A point you talked about earlier were minigames.

They stated things like Pazzakk (spelling) and racing were coming in the future.

Also guild capital ships already in the works.

What else were you talking about?

They actually said that they have "lots of cool designs for minigames" and that they were eager to put them in. But, they (I believe it was Daniel Erickson who said it) also implied that such things are way off in the future.

Yes, Damian said that they were eager for things like Guild Ships. But again, they implied it was in the distant future.

Essentially, I got the feeling that unless something was in 1.2, then Bioware weren't really prepared to talk about it much. A couple of subjects they point blank refused to discuss at all. One of which is close to both our hearts ;)

In short, I look upon 1.2 as a "catch up" patch. It addresses SOME issues, and is indeed a step in the right direction. That much is true. But it's far from being "enough" for long. There is still much work to be done before the gameplay content beyond the "class story" can be thought of as "fleshed out" to much of a degree. Personally I think that if BWA just throw more flashpoints, warzones and operations at it, then that won't be enough.

Edited by Tarka

A few points for you to embrace rather then being constantly dismissive in your rhetoric:

1) no MMO company releases their roadmaps to the general populace. They do however talk about different elements within their roadmaps when they have summits or other player centered events in RL. You know this, yet you insist on applying the standard as a judgement upoin Bioware.

2) They actually discussed quite a lot of things they have planned and coming over the next year during the summit, stuff well beyond 1.2. Most of it is summarized here: http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/

3) the use of the "mushroom method" in the context of Bioware not even an hour after they concluded an all day summit where they disclosed a great deal about 1.2, their roadmap plans, and open Q&A cycles all day (and not just from the audience, they answered questions coming in from live feed as well) is just more rhetoric and axe grinding.

Edited by Andryah

Personally I think that if BWA just throw more flashpoints, warzones and operations at it, then that won't be enough.

Nowhere did they ever indicate today that this was the center of their efforts. It is simply facet out of many facets they are working on for this game.

They actually said that they have "lots of cool designs for minigames" and that they were eager to put them in. But, they (I believe it was Daniel Erickson who said it) also implied that such things are way off in the future.

Yes, Damian said that they were eager for things like Guild Ships. But again, they implied it was in the distant future.

Essentially, I got the feeling that unless something was in 1.2, then Bioware weren't really prepared to talk about it much. A couple of subjects they point blank refused to discuss at all. One of which is close to both our hearts ;)

In short, I look upon 1.2 as a "catch up" patch. It addresses SOME issues and is a step in the right direction. That much is true. But it's far from being "enough" for long.

it makes sense. if you tell ppl details of a grand plan for an idea in the works. get ppls hopes up. but then have to scrap that idea for one reason or another. you look like an idiot.

one of the devs said. they don't like to talk about something till they seen it working

its just good practice

so there is no wonder you got no details about these things other than, they want to do it some time in the future.

funny thing is, i think most of the QQ'ers already know this. they just love to complain

"Other Legacy unlocks will not be available until you've leveled a class to 50, however. Such is the case with unlocking new skills. Do you wish your Bounty Hunter could shoot Force lightning? After 1.2, if you relate the Bounty Hunter to a level 50 Inquisitor, it'll be possible, though with some significant limitations. A Bounty Hunter won't suddenly turn into a Force-wielding super user. Every class has a heroic moment ability which requires the presence of a companion to activate. Only by using these heroic moment abilities will you be able to access the cross-class Legacy abilities. That essentially means you can only use the abilities out in the questing world; they're locked out when you're in a full group or in a PvP Warzone. "It's a balancing mechanism. We wanted to make the abilities powerful and useful but we know that some players are going to eventually have all seven others on one character. We had to be cognizant of that when we were creating them so we don't give the player seven super-powerful abilities he can use in rapid succession." http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1219843p1.html

So there you have it. This is just for PvE, only a "heroic moment", and requires a companion to activate. And it's unlocked at lvl 50, tied to legacy of a lvl 50 (i.e. you need a lvl 50 inquisitor for you lvl 20 BH cousin to shoot lightning), and consistent with lore on force-adepts. You won't be seeing Sith BHs anytime soon on the fleet. But still there is gnashing of teeth and "seething" all over.

Thank you BW for this and the other great goodies "promised" in 1.2! Can.Not.Wait!!

Edited for color.

This is the most pathetic implemention I have ever seen...

A Bounty Hunter using Force Lightning.... REALLY?!

It takes a Jedi/Sith YEARS of practice to learn to use the force. But in this game we have simple Bounty Hunters (read: people like you and me who basically slap on some armor and take a gun and earn their money killing bounties) suddenly start using force!

And lol in order to use it u CAN'T be in a party u CAN'T be in a PvP zone u MUST have ur companion and and did I forget to mention you MUST and MUST NOT DO all the rest? :rolleyes:

Really... it sounds to me like something stupid, something you'll never use. At the same time it goes heavily against lore. Basically you are making people very angry and for what? For nothing.

Keep it up BW. Thought i'll come back after 6 months once I leave this game 20 march, but as it stands right now i'm basically done with this game alltogether.

If I ever wanna have fun in the Old Republic again, i'll just install KotOR again.

A few points for you to embrace rather then being constantly dismissive in your rhetoric:

1) no MMO company releases their roadmaps to the general populace. They do however talk about different elements within their roadmaps when they have summits or other player centered events in RL. You know this, yet you insist on applying the standard as a judgement upoin Bioware.

Actually others do. Funcom is one that springs to mind.

2) They actually discussed quite a lot of things they have planned and coming over the next year during the summit, stuff well beyond 1.2. Most of it is summarized here: http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/

Expressing desires to do something, and expressing good intentions does not bring something into reality. Many times I've seen MMO devs express their desire to do something in particular, only for it to be continually pushed further and further back. Sometimes to the point whereby it loses whatever positive effect it would have had.

3) the use of the "mushroom method" in the context of Bioware not even an hour after they concluded an all day summit where they disclosed a great deal about 1.2, their roadmap plans, and open Q&A cycles all day (and not just from the audience, they answered questions coming in from live feed as well).

Sigh. You might think that a "Summit" is the perfect justification to prove that Bioware are great at communication, but I would disagree. The purpose of the summit was mainly to showcase 1.2 and get a bit of feedback from the (120?) guild leaders who where there. They persistently refuse to discuss much beyond 1.2, as is Bioware's way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.