New Information on Threat

Daellia

When fighting in PvE as an Operative I have had a problem where if Kaliyo and I are in melee with a target I am constantly pulling agro from her. This post totally explained to me why that was happening. It is because as an operative you are almost constantly on the move so very often when I hit I am probably standing closer to the target then Kaliyo is and that makes it easier for me to pull agro.

Thanks for this post, very helpful indeed.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post.. However, my experience with Force Armor has been different, but I could be wrong, or maybe I am misunderstanding you. The application of Force Armor does not generate threat, but as soon as the consumer receives damage, Force Armor does indeed generate "healing" threat, and in my experience it's the same as the equivalent threat generated by a straight heal (for the same amount)

The thing here is ... is your bubble generating 'enough' threat to break the threshold, rather than whether it is generating threat at all. I would assume that you would be in the ranged threat area, therefore you bubble would have to generate >30% more threat than your bubbled target current has for the mobs to switch to you. The longer the fight lasts the less likely this will happen because as everyones amount of threat increases throughout the fight, that 30% becomes a bigger and bigger number, hence why a tank can hold aggro with nothing more than his own threat gen skill in fights that have gone on a while.

The current tank would NOT need to move back and forth between ranges for the purposes of threat. The talked about range differences are for two things: taunting threat and how much threat someone other than the current tank needs to do to pull off the current tank. For the purposes of the differing threat thresholds it does not matter where the tank is standing. It matters where the other people are standing.
if the currrent tank is the top of the threat list by a fair margin, it sounds like he really would want to move out to taunt so that he gets moved to 130% of his own threat

if the currrent tank is the top of the threat list by a fair margin, it sounds like he really would want to move out to taunt so that he gets moved to 130% of his own threat

Ideally, he should stay at maximum melee range anyway. In addition, the 30% is really only super important is the tank has a very small threat margin over the other dps (or if another dps has managed to exceed his threat but not pull aggro yet). If the tank has twice the threat of the nearest dps, it doesn't really matter whether his taunt generates 10% or 30% (or if he fails to taunt entirely), as the dps are still very unlikely to catch up to him.

As for bubble threat, I'll go focus test it a bit.

Edited by Daellia

I disagree. I have never had mobs turn on me when I bubble someone. There are times when I have just run by and bubble someone open world that is surrounded by mobs and looking about to wipe. Even when they wipe, they (the mobs) don't turn and run at me. If Force Armor generated threat, the mobs would think I had 'damaged' them and would pursue me.

Now, if you HoT or Heal them, the mobs definitely turn and try to chew on you. It's one of the reasons why you should never let anyone make a pull while you have an active HoT on them.

Bubble definetly causes threat...not much, but some.

Go into EV, the turrets in the very beginning.

Tank gets in range, and starts getting shot at by the turrets. Walk forward so you are standing next to him, and then bubble him. The turrets will start shooting you.

So basically taunt in this game works similar to that in EQ1, it adds a particular amount of threat rather than simply moving you to the top of the aggro list as most of the more recent games have adopted.

Interestingly enough I thought the same when I read the info. There's also the whole range aspect affecting the aggro cap, which is another feature introduced by EQ1 at the time.

I am intrigued.

Sure, within the niche it is, it's a nice size community. But, as I hope you understand, doesn't hold a candle to WoW and EJ.

End game progression that people care about? Really? Where? Where are the progression tracking sites, where are the world rankings? No one cares about raid progression here because it ISN'T THAT KIND OF GAME. Theorycrafting can exist, but it's a dead end.

If you want to spend your time decrypting stuff that BioWare wants to keep hidden, for a game that clearly has it's design goals elsewhere, have at it.

It became clear yesterday that the Legacy system is their progression. Enjoy.

You just lost a reader...

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this, biggest surprise for me is that taunt does increase threat even if the taunter is the mobs current target.

Which is incredibly useful information to have (slightly surprised that other posters can't seem to see why this is useful to know but there ya go.)

Really? Your surprised MMO players dont understand basic gameplay in MMO's?

• 1 month later...

Hi there, first, awesome information to have, this explains so much. I have one very basic question that may have been answered somewhere already but I haven't found it amongst the massive amounts of information:

When calculating damage based threat generation, is it base damage before armor is considered or only damage that gets through armor/resistances/etc.?

Ex. If character A does 1000 base damage and B does 900 base damage, but B's damage penetrates armor so B does 800 actual damage while A only does 700 damage, would the target be drawn to A or B?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.