The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Infiltration, Viable in PVP?

_Pryor_

I have a lvl 35 Shadow alt, and I'm finding that I have the most fun with the Infiltration tree. Sadly though, I jump on the Shadow forums and there is hardly any talk of the tree at all. Basically what I'm asking is....What's wrong with it, and is it that bad? Because I'm having a blast and doing quite well with it in pvp so far.

I have a lvl 35 Shadow alt, and I'm finding that I have the most fun with the Infiltration tree. Sadly though, I jump on the Shadow forums and there is hardly any talk of the tree at all. Basically what I'm asking is....What's wrong with it, and is it that bad? Because I'm having a blast and doing quite well with it in pvp so far.

Viable? For pugging, yes. Competitive WZs? Probably not. The single target burst/CC is great. The survivability/ utility is no good.

There's nothing wrong with it exactly, and if you're good at it then play it and enjoy the damage you dump on your enemies. It's very squishy, and the burst damage requires a rotation instead of a simply striking from stealth, but for those who are good at it infiltration is a good spec.

Viable? For pugging, yes. Competitive WZs? Probably not. The single target burst/CC is great. The survivability/ utility is no good.

I guess I'm just used to my main (Operative) lol. Because the survivability/utility on the Infiltration Shadow is much greater than that of the Conc Operative. Oh, and I actually have some form of sustained dmg, that's nice as well.

It's good for either puggin or more competitive, the Inf tree is good. Wicked good burst is never a bad thing, and that's what makes the Inf-specc still good and viable. Edited by droze

I guess I'm just used to my main (Operative) lol. Because the survivability/utility on the Infiltration Shadow is much greater than that of the Conc Operative. Oh, and I actually have some form of sustained dmg, that's nice as well.

Light-Armored Melee Class.....

Operative/Scoundrel is a lot better lol

The fact that I have to wrack up my damage as Infiltration and if I get interrupted/stunned in between that it takes that much longer to get my rotation off. With Operative it's just Acid Blade then spam your 3-4 melee attacks.

Edited by AMKSED

Very viable, just got out of a warzone with 390K for damage, 65 kills, 10 medals, and burst of 4.2K. And I'm still missing 3 pieces for full Champ. Thats was with a good healer, and you need a good healer that is going to keep you on your feet if you want to be at your best.

And you can find yourself in situations where your getting crushed because your in light armor, eventually you'll learn to not put yourself in those or how to get out of them.

Edited by Lukulos

not true. inf spec is more viable in competitive wzs/pvp because good premades will have people who know how to play as a team. inf spec is harder to play in PUGs than it should be, only because people dont gaurd or support.

Its still very viable for competitive warzones, what would make you think it isn't? You, as a likely kinetic tank, probably think all that damage happening while you beat on the other teams tank is yours, don't you? News flash, some of that damage is coming from an infiltration spec pulping the gaurded healer in the background.

Its still very viable for competitive warzones, what would make you think it isn't? You, as a likely kinetic tank, probably think all that damage happening while you beat on the other teams tank is yours, don't you? News flash, some of that damage is coming from an infiltration spec pulping the gaurded healer in the background.

Lol. Scrappers are in the same boat with their low survivability and lack of group utility. I would much rather take a Mara/Sent over an infil on my team any day. Simply because they have the pressure upkeep, debuffs, mobility and far better survivability. Quite frankly, they outclass Infiltration in meaningful PvP in just about every way thinkable. That burst won't matter in long fights, especially with guards, taunts and heals. So that's my melee DPS already chosen, now we move on to ranged and healers...

Also at what point did I say KC damage was rigged? I know my role as KC. Don't put words in my mouth.

Edited by Xinika

Lol. Scrappers are in the same boat with their low survivability and lack of group utility. I would much rather take a Mara/Sent over an infil on my team any day. Simply because they have the pressure upkeep, debuffs, mobility and far better survivability. Quite frankly, they outclass Infiltration in meaningful PvP in just about every way thinkable. That burst won't matter in long fights, especially with guards, taunts and heals. So that's my melee DPS already chosen, now we move on to ranged and healers...

Also at what point did I say KC damage was rigged? I know my role as KC. Don't put words in my mouth.

So would you say infiltration needs some changes in their DPS tree to be up to par with other melee DPS to be viable? If not, then what makes them viable/useful in your opinion?

Edited by Darkerwarrior

So would you say infiltration needs some changes in their DPS tree to be up to par with other melee DPS to be viable? If not, then what makes them viable/useful in your opinion?

There needs to be something beyond just big numbers. The survivability needs a buff. The energy regeneration needs to be looked at and infil could use a debuff that makes them worth bringing. I'll be posting a topic on this soon. It's been on my mind.

For the record: Infil is still my favourite spec.

There needs to be something beyond just big numbers. The survivability needs a buff. The energy regeneration needs to be looked at and infil could use a debuff that makes them worth bringing. I'll be posting a topic on this soon. It's been on my mind.

For the record: Infil is still my favourite spec.

Hm personally for Power I manage, it's easy to do I don't think it's terrible or has to be adjusted. I do agree on debuffs. We have none except for taunts which only work in a PVP settings. Also closers IMO are an issue. Everyone has some kind of leap, pull or something like that..and we get a 30s cool down force run that last 2s. I had an idea they could add a teleport to tumult..dropping it's restriction, and only active with shadow technique. Was just an idea I had the other night. How cool would it be to teleport to your target from behind and kick em in the head lol.

Thanks guys. I'm going to stick with it. The other builds just weren't as fun for me, and that's what I'm paying for right?

So true m8, play what you enjoy. dont listent to what other ppl say (me inlcluded) your money and your enjoyment is what matter. All have there one thought about this class what's "viable" or not, in the right hands all three trees are viable. And in the end.... F**k that, just play what you enjoy.

So true m8, play what you enjoy. dont listent to what other ppl say (me inlcluded) your money and your enjoyment is what matter. All have there one thought about this class what's "viable" or not, in the right hands all three trees are viable. And in the end.... F**k that, just play what you enjoy.

One of the most wise posts I have ever seen on these forums.

Inf spec (And other high bursts specs like it) is played by me like a shark (or other steathly predator) I lay low and wait until I smell blood in the water..Then I move in that direction to find the wounded player then I zoom in and finish him off only to vanish again to find my next victim...

Inf spec (And other high bursts specs like it) is played by me like a shark (or other steathly predator) I lay low and wait until I smell blood in the water..Then I move in that direction to find the wounded player then I zoom in and finish him off only to vanish again to find my next victim...

^This

These types of questions are extremely subjective. If we look at the spec in isolation, sure its viable. You can get kills, you can drop some targets quickly, struggle with others, but generally come out of a warzone on good terms.

However... If we look at this in contrast to the other specs available, it is by far the weakest of the 3 due to its low survivability. As a Darkness Assassin (KC tree for shadow), when I see a saber-yoyo attack, I know I'm going to win. Worse, I probably will win at 80%+ hp due to the spec's incredible self healing and damage mitigation, even while wearing full dps gear + shield. To make the imbalance greater, on top of general durability, I have amazing utility. I can't express in words how useful pull is. I think this should be baseline for Sin.

Last night for example, I stunned a juggernaut in the fire on the top level in Huttball. He somehow survived despite not getting heals and taking the full stun duration, so I jumped off the side, toward another pit and pulled him mid air. He landed in the just activating pit and burned to death. I pressed 2 keys and not only recovered the ball from a sure score, but proceeded to fight my way solo across the field and score myself.

I have an AoE snare on a short cooldown that does ~2k damage or so and debuffs damage output by 5%. My initial shock does over 2k generally, then following shocks will be guaranteed crits for >3k. After my second shock, I can blow cooldowns and force lightning for 2k+ a tick and heal myself for 12% of my HP. So the spec is hardly lacking for damage either.

I like deception. I like the way it plays, I like the way it feels. There just isn't a reason to play it other than for laughs. If you're raiding and pvping, you'll even find that madness(balance) is far superior for throughput, utility, and self healing. I'm frequently in the 650k-850k with that build in void star where everyone is in choke points and maybe 450k-550k in Huttball.

My experiences are with 2pc battlemaster (saber/robe) rest champ gear.

Personally I enjoy my 24/0/17 hybrid (both sin and shadow are the same).

If you're min/maxing a group for rated WZ, there are too many better options than the infil shadow. Sentinel being the top of the list for the same purpose. Perhaps an Assault Vanguard if you want to be able to drop tanks in a timely manner.

I would say the shadow hybrid makes for a very good containment tank with DPS and Protection capacity. I would chose to run this role over trying to infil-dps on my shadow.

These are my personal thoughts based on 180 valor ranks of game play both as the shadow and against the shadow.

It only goes uphill when you get Clairvoyant Strike.

This right here. If we had an instant refresh on force breach most healers wouldnt survive the onslaught for a cs x2, project, force breach rotation. I laugh when people say we dont have any utility. We are one of, if not, the sharpest tool in the shed. Killing healers, picking off players, and ninja captures make us very useful.

This right here. If we had an instant refresh on force breach most healers wouldnt survive the onslaught for a cs x2, project, force breach rotation. I laugh when people say we dont have any utility. We are one of, if not, the sharpest tool in the shed. Killing healers, picking off players, and ninja captures make us very useful.

So derp damage is utility? Come again?