Guild Summit Begins Monday

AlysonBridge

Offline for three hours, and we're supposed to believe that they're allowing us to see/participate in everything? Yeah, right. Thanks for continuing to lie to us, BioWare Austin. I wonder what EA's board of directors and the Wall Street Journal think of how you treat your customers? You didn't listen to your beta testers, maybe you'll listen to your stock holders.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really say I'm exited for this. The fact that it's limited to guilds means we'll just end up getting a bunch of questions and answers about boring stuff like guild banks or hard mode raids.

Yeah, I agree with you.

Guild leaders are definatly not the average gamer, so this is a very, very biased way of gathering information.

I hope that they realise it and understand this. But I fear that when people have the opportunity to talk to DEVs in real life, their opinions matter more then other people's opinions :(

This is definatly not a good way to gather information, I hope they see it more as a PR event than as a way to get representative feedback.

So inviting guilds means alot of the player base is covered.QUOTE]

They don't invite guilds, they invite one person per guild: it will undoubtetly be the most dedicated person of the guild.

Which, one can assume, is also the most hardcore player.

That is a very, very biased group of people.

Did you look at the agenda?

Seems like it hits all main areas of interest:

10:00AM CST (4PM GMT) – Welcome and Introductions

10:30AM CST (4:30PM GMT) – State of the Game and Game Update 1.2 Presentation

Break (Livestream offline from 11:00am to 2:00pm)

2:00PM CST (8:00PM GMT) – Operations and Flashpoints Discussion

2:45PM CST (8:45PM GMT) – Player vs. Player Discussion

3:30PM CST (9:30PM GMT) – Legacy Presentation

4:00PM CST (10:00PM GMT) – Economy and Crew Skills Discussion

4:30PM CST (10:30PM GMT) – Roleplayer's Discussion

5:00PM CST (11:00PM GMT) – Guild Features Discussion

5:30PM CST (11:30PM GMT) – User Interface Presentation

6:00PM CST (12:00AM GMT) - ...And The Rest

Very tight schedule. How much can they really talk about in 30 minutes?

Will they announce something substantial.

Funny they are bringing all these people into Austin for a game that doesn't have any features at all for a guild. Other than guild have a glorified Chat Channel for a Feature Oh and a name tag.

thats one of the first things we are mentioning at the summit.

Many of the guild leaders have spoken on informal forums about this issue and we plan to ask that first. If the answer recieved is wrong....Well we are walking out the door immedietly and grabbing a beer.

Patience is in play but wrong answers answer to impact and if they answer wrong and see 30 of us turning and walking away without a word...they will begin to listen

So inviting guilds means alot of the player base is covered.QUOTE]

They don't invite guilds, they invite one person per guild: it will undoubtetly be the most dedicated person of the guild.

Which, one can assume, is also the most hardcore player.

That is a very, very biased group of people.

they invited guilds of all types so that a representative from each can attend.

This was done in the past and worked. If you have a specific question you want asked then please write it here and we can pass it on for you.

The guild leaders have met cross server on informal forums already to discuss the event. We do not intend to allow BW to control it and drag things out without giving proper answers.

I'm very impressed with this, instead of just going on and killing the game patch after patch cough cough*wow* cough they are acturally making it a point to see what the players want so they can make our game experiance better. I love the game already but i know as the game progresses with the effort they put in ill like it more and more.

main topics of interest stem around managing servers and pvp.

PVE will also be discussed but as it is a bit more polished....the population and pvp will be a main concern of the leaders.

---------------------

Events will be mentioned as well for you pve fans....the BW team understands that the guild leaders will not sit around all day in drag out discussions and that what we are really doing there is giving them 2 hours to listen to our requests and answer the questions in a prompt manner. Wrong answers mean we walk out the door and goto a bar to discuss mass guild numbers immedietly unsubbing and moving to another game.

Gatherings like this is dangerous for a company...while good, it also brings the influence of the players together so the guilds can meet and share their play history. If things go wrong you can see population effected within hours as word spreads and players all unsub and move in mass elsewhere.

Rather hard to imagine in which of these BW may manage to fit the discussion of same-gender content implementation. I suppose we will have to watch to see.

What is there to discuss? They have said it is coming in the future. They are not ready to release it now and it affects a very, very small percentage of the player base.

10:00AM CST (4PM GMT) – Welcome and Introductions

*hi, thanks for paying to join us. this is the team...

10:30AM CST (4:30PM GMT) – State of the Game and Game Update 1.2 Presentation

*here are our awesome numbers and stats found in videos and interviews. here is the 1.2 presentation also found in videos and interviews.

Break (Livestream offline from 11:00am to 2:00pm)

*ok guys and gals please pretend to be really really excited at 2pm when the camera is back on.

2:00PM CST (8:00PM GMT) – Operations and Flashpoints Discussion

*something, something, something.

2:45PM CST (8:45PM GMT) – Player vs. Player Discussion

*our clunky and bori.. err i mean heroic and exciting combat systems have not changed since 2007 and will not be changing, so what are your questions and input?

3:30PM CST (9:30PM GMT) – Legacy Presentation

*we want you to reroll a lot so here are all the incentives... yes we tossed a couple bones in for current characters too like providing the ability to have 2 companions out when you are solo at legacy level 10. an option for ashra to stop with all the whiney goody jedi carp at legacy level 15. additionally, you will be able to have khem stop calling you "little sith" once you reach legacy level 20.

4:00PM CST (10:00PM GMT) – Economy and Crew Skills Discussion

*well we haven't figured out how to make crafting less disorganized and have most skills besides biochem useful yet , but someday we will.

4:30PM CST (10:30PM GMT) – Roleplayer's Discussion

*in addition to the rp legacy features discussed, you will be able to play and make out with jawas and wookies at legacy level 25.

5:00PM CST (11:00PM GMT) – Guild Features Discussion

*we already have things planned so what more do you want?

5:30PM CST (11:30PM GMT) – User Interface Presentation

*keep up the happy faces!

6:00PM CST (12:00AM GMT) - ...And The Rest

*i know we have had months of feedback and discussion on the boards, but we wanted to thank you for paying to be part of our "listening to our players" pr stunt.. bye bye.

hope i'm wrong and that players will be blown away by some awesome info.

Very tight schedule. How much can they really talk about in 30 minutes?

150 guild representative with less than 30 minutes left to discuss about a subject after the devs introduced the topic?

Not much.

main topics of interest stem around managing servers and pvp.

PVE will also be discussed but as it is a bit more polished....the population and pvp will be a main concern of the leaders.

---------------------

Events will be mentioned as well for you pve fans....the BW team understands that the guild leaders will not sit around all day in drag out discussions and that what we are really doing there is giving them 2 hours to listen to our requests and answer the questions in a prompt manner. Wrong answers mean we walk out the door and goto a bar to discuss mass guild numbers immedietly unsubbing and moving to another game.

Gatherings like this is dangerous for a company...while good, it also brings the influence of the players together so the guilds can meet and share their play history. If things go wrong you can see population effected within hours as word spreads and players all unsub and move in mass elsewhere.

I do not see you and your friends will not be walking out during the presentation, under any circumstances.

What are the "wrong" answers? I want you to be a man of your word and walk out and unsubscribe like you threaten.

Restating from earlier.

My two cents, thrown to the table, never requested, never desired, but there to be used as you may please.

There is a lot of argument on guild size and why some guilds were selected over others; over how much better or worse it makes your guild from selection.

A guild's worth is not determined by its size.

A guild's size does not determine the amount of voices it can hear.

Anyone with eyes and ears can see the issues with this game, level 50 or level 10.

All anyone has to do is look at these forums, look at the major issues this game has.

This game has a great potential, if you could deny this, then why are you here still now?

Everyone expects something out of this game.

Now is not the time for people to be focused on themselves.

This is not the time to nit-pick at little bugs.

This is not a Summit to prove that your guild is better than the others.

This is not about an individual guild's rank, size, goal, wants, or grievances.

It is not the time to try to gain some since of superiority or status from being some part of an 'elite' selection.

It is a time to focus on the big issues, issues that shatter the community of this game.

Issues that stop this game from being near what it can be.

This is a chance for players to talk to the developers themselves; to ask questions in a situation that allows no room for dismissal.

A chance to talk to a human being rather then some automated 'droid'.

A chance to talk in a situation with out a waiting list or a chance of your voice not being acknowledged.

This is a true opportunity, invited or not, to present big questions, that are often ignored or brushed aside, in a situation where they are required to actually be answered.

This is something bigger then any guild. This is about the community as a whole. The game as a whole.

I can only ever truly speak for myself, but I know that the more people realize this, the more productive this meeting could be.

It is an opportunity that should not be swindled. So, I personally request from every leader going to remember that this is something bigger than your guild. This is something bigger than you. This is something that could decide the direction this game takes.

Let the community as a whole be heard as best as possible with the opportunity we have been given.

For those of you who took the time to read this wall of text in full, you have my gratitude.

This mentality concerns me greatly for 2 reasons;

1) While Gummiebear has offered to 'pass on' other questions he is clearly in a sub-set of guilds that is predominantly focused around PvP. And has been part of organising that subset of players to bring greater influence than they would otherwise have. While I can't fault his methods - he is looking for answers to his groups preferred playstyle - I have to hope his group won't have a disproportional effect on the summit.

2) Opening any negotiation (and that's what any two-way discussion of this nature must be thought of as being) with an ultimatum is not constructive. Drawing a line in the sand is not constructive - especially when its as vague as "wrong answers". I'm not expecting anyone to go to Austin and just act like rabid fans whatever is said but this attitude is not conducive to a reasonable discussion.

I hope this "PAC" for want of a better term does not end up simply derailing the whole process because they don't get exactly what they want immediately.

Anyone with eyes and ears can see the issues with this game, level 50 or level 10.

All anyone has to do is look at these forums, look at the major issues this game has.

This game has a great potential, if you could deny this, then why are you here still now?

It is a time to focus on the big issues, issues that shatter the community of this game.

This is a chance for players to talk to the developers themselves; to ask questions in a situation that allows no room for dismissal.

A chance to talk in a situation with out a waiting list or a chance of your voice not being acknowledged.

This is a true opportunity, invited or not, to present big questions, that are often ignored or brushed aside, in a situation where they are required to actually be answered.

This is something bigger then any guild. This is about the community as a whole. The game as a whole.

I can only ever truly speak for myself, but I know that the more people realize this, the more productive this meeting could be.

It is an opportunity that should not be swindled. So, I personally request from every leader going to remember that this is something bigger than your guild. This is something bigger than you. This is something that could decide the direction this game takes.

Let the community as a whole be heard as best as possible with the opportunity we have been given.

For those of you who took the time to read this wall of text in full, you have my gratitude.

Every single opportunity that BioWare AUSTIN has had to allow their "community" to provide "feedback" on *major* elements of the game has been *deliberately* ignored and wasted due to the absolute unearned arrogance of the development team (James Ohlen, Gamasutra, 9/23/11 interview). I certainly hope this Guild Summit is different, but it has all the hallmarks of yet another "but, we listened! here's proof!"-moment for them to ignore. BWA keeps burning all of their bridges to their customers, while at the same time marketing shallow and naive soundbites from a few rabid fanboys.

The game has major problems. It's had those problems built right into its design. BWA ignored all of their testers for over a year, who were warning them of those problems. And now that they're being called to task over those very same problems, they're feigning ignorance and inviting a highly questionable group of people *they* feel are representatives of their *customers* (NOT COMMUNITY!!!!!) for a presentation.

And right during the middle of it, they want us to believe they're taking a 3 hour "break" from the event that they've promised that we'll have full access to see, remotely? Simply put, right from the start, they're lying to the rest of us. There is NO WAY they are taking such a long break-- they'll use that time for interviews, private presentations, etc. Claiming it's a break, sorry, but that's a major lie, already.

Something I think BioWare Austin seems to have down pretty good.

And that's sad.

Every single opportunity that BioWare AUSTIN has had to allow their "community" to provide "feedback" on *major* elements of the game has been *deliberately* ignored and wasted due to the absolute unearned arrogance of the development team (James Ohlen, Gamasutra, 9/23/11 interview). I certainly hope this Guild Summit is different, but it has all the hallmarks of yet another "but, we listened! here's proof!"-moment for them to ignore. BWA keeps burning all of their bridges to their customers, while at the same time marketing shallow and naive soundbites from a few rabid fanboys.

The game has major problems. It's had those problems built right into its design. BWA ignored all of their testers for over a year, who were warning them of those problems. And now that they're being called to task over those very same problems, they're feigning ignorance and inviting a highly questionable group of people *they* feel are representatives of their *customers* (NOT COMMUNITY!!!!!) for a presentation.

And right during the middle of it, they want us to believe they're taking a 3 hour "break" from the event that they've promised that we'll have full access to see, remotely? Simply put, right from the start, they're lying to the rest of us. There is NO WAY they are taking such a long break-- they'll use that time for interviews, private presentations, etc. Claiming it's a break, sorry, but that's a major lie, already.

Something I think BioWare Austin seems to have down pretty good.

And that's sad.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, that's why I hope guild leaders will see this and realize what an opportunity they have. If any of those hard hitting questions, game issues, customer service issues, are ignored AND it is recorded. BioWare would loose any right to say they listened.

Guild Leaders are allowed their own cameras. I am certain that there will be some to catch the entire -day- on record, one way or another "break" or no "break".

I am very optimistic for this event, and I am quite interested in the final outcome.

Edited by BelialSempai

We can't attend, but our guild's concerns are:

1. Guild banks. When please?

2. Guild summon. Would make getting to low level guildies a lot easier to help them with their quests.

3. Agree with the request to be able to mass mail guild and import word docs or other files.

4. Please DO NOT go to cross server PvP.

Restating from earlier.

My two cents, thrown to the table, never requested, never desired, but there to be used as you may please.

There is a lot of argument on guild size and why some guilds were selected over others; over how much better or worse it makes your guild from selection.

A guild's worth is not determined by its size.

A guild's size does not determine the amount of voices it can hear.

This is not a Summit to prove that your guild is better than the others.

This is not about an individual guild's rank, size, goal, wants, or grievances.

It is not the time to try to gain some since of superiority or status from being some part of an 'elite' selection.

I will be honest, I Tl;Dr'd after about half. But the half I read are good points.

Can't really say I'm exited for this. The fact that it's limited to guilds means we'll just end up getting a bunch of questions and answers about boring stuff like guild banks or hard mode raids.

You clearly did not take time to read and digest the agenda.

1) there is much much more there then guild specific elements

2) LIVE STREAMING

Story? I see no reason that needs its own discussion time as it will likely be covered in the 1.2 presentation.

Gear - covered in crew skill update/operations/Fps slots.

Space - it is a mini-game

World Environment - likely covered in RP.

Engine performance - no reason to cover this at the summit. They are working on improvements but what value would there be to have a 45 min slot to discuss it with armchair developers?

I agree.

This thread has fast become /rant bait. I guess I'm not surprised given the nature of general forum here.

I agree.

This thread has fast become /rant bait. I guess I'm not surprised given the nature of general forum here.

The general bait issue has been a major bait-and-switch between what BioWare AUSTIN originally said they were going to release, and what they finally launched with, six years later. Granted, things change during development, and that's perfectly okay, but they had an opportunity with the beta for 1.25 years to smooth things over and put in features that their beta testers TOLD them *MUST* be in for launch, and they ignored that feedback and pushed the game out the door six months before it was ready. Now, they're at least listening with the forums (and a major ton of WE TOLD YOU SO), and have given a limited opportunity to people to have their voice heard, directly. That is a good thing, if they truly mean it.

However, so far, it's shaping up into not a discussion, but a PR presentation, and they've already lost major points by telling those of us NOT specifically invited that we'll have full disclosure and can see everything, yet now there's a three HOUR break right in the middle, where the cameras will be turned off. Sorry, that's just not cutting it. Telling us full disclosure and that we'll see everything, and then pulling such a major length "break" in the middle of the event? I don't think so.

Yet once again, BioWare AUSTIN is showing that they have NO CLUE with how to communicate HONESTLY with their customers. BWA studio management needs to be held accountable and replaced by BioWare management, though it's likely too late.

F2P within two years or less is looking more and more highly plausible.

The stories for patches 1.2 - 1.5 may save it, though... we'll see.

Edited by DTuloJr