I Hate you BioWare [Spoiler]

Nytak

OK, so I just did Operation:A77 on my trooper, and I am admittedly light side on him.. so yeah.. I just had to kill Jaxo.. I hate you BioWare!!! /fistshake

Those were very close to being my only dark side points.

Funny. When I read the title with a spoiler tag I knew what you were referring to before I clicked. I felt the exact same way last week. Still kinda do. I felt so frustrated and rebellious at being put in that position that I went against my character's nature and ate the darkside points.

I regretted it the instant I clicked it and regret it still. Gonna be a he'll of a skeleton in my character's closet. A stain no good conscience could avoid. (I can't stand defenseless animals wailing in pain and desperation either.)

Oh, I remember this.

I don't care that much at all. She might have kissed me around lvl 15, orso, but I haven't seen her for so long after that. No reason to hate BioWare. But the stupid thing is that you had to save Jaxo and then she dies.

Edited by Notannos

This isn't Star Trek and we are not Captain Kirk. :) We don't get to reprogram the simulator to make the unwinnable situation winnable. As in real life, there are tough choices to make, and sometimes neither option is the choice you would want to make.

A good story forces the hero to make tough choices. A realistic story, especially one involving war, forces the hero to make choices at great personal cost. If every choice you faced in the stories achieved the result you would want, then the story would be boring and uncompelling.

No doubt, it is a tough choice to have to sacrifice someone you know and someone you may even care about. It is even harder when that person is pleading with you not to let them die.

However, there is a legitimate reason that the choice to sacrifice Jaxo was the dark side choice. I mean, come on. If the choice was press lever A and save one person you don't know or press lever B and save 300 people you don't know, there would be absolutely no question as to which button you would press. How, exactly, does having an emotional attachment to the one person change that situation in any substantive way? It doesn't. You are still sacrificing 300 people just to save one.

Another thing, let us assume that you didn't know any of the people, but you could communicate with the one but not the 300. Let us further say that the person was pleading with you to save them even though they knew that the 300 would die. It still would not be easy to decide to let someone die, but, really, how hard is it to know that the person you are going to have to let die is willing to sacrifice 300 other people just to save himself?

For me, Jaxo actually made the choice easier by pleading to save her instead of the others. No noble "go on without me and save yourselves" sacrifice. Just a selfish let 300 other people who also are suffering for their service to the republic die and save me. I actually kind of resented her putting me in that position. It was a much more satisfying ending to me to be able to save 300 people and to shape the recounting of the story to have Jaxo be remembered as a hero rather than "live" with sacrificing 300 people to save someone who was willing to sacrifice 300 people to save herself.

Edited by Sotaudi

This isn't Star Trek and we are not Captain Kirk. :) We don't get to reprogram the simulator to make the unwinnable situation winnable. As in real life, there are tough choices to make, and sometimes neither option is the choice you would want to make.

A good story forces the hero to make tough choices. A realistic story, especially one involving war, forces the hero to make choices at great personal cost. If every choice you faced in the stories achieved the result you would want, then the story would be boring and uncompelling.

No doubt, it is a tough choice to have to sacrifice someone you know and someone you may even care about. It is even harder when that person is pleading with you not to let them die.

However, there is a legitimate reason that the choice to sacrifice Jaxo was the dark side choice. I mean, come on. If the choice was press lever A and save one person you don't know or press lever B and save 300 people you don't know, there would be absolutely no question as to which button you would press. How, exactly, does having an emotional attachment to the one person change that situation in any substantive way? It doesn't. You are still sacrificing 300 people just to save one.

Another thing, let us assume that you didn't know any of the people, but you could communicate with the one but not the 300. Let us further say that the person was pleading with you to save them even though they knew that the 300 would die. It still would not be easy to decide to let someone die, but, really, how hard is it to know that the person you are going to have to let die is willing to sacrifice 300 other people just to save himself?

For me, Jaxo actually made the choice easier by pleading to save her instead of the others. No noble "go on without me and save yourselves" sacrifice. Just a selfish let 300 other people who also are suffering for their service to the republic die and save me. I actually kind of resented her putting me in that position. It was a much more satisfying ending to me to be able to save 300 people and to shape the recounting of the story to have Jaxo be remembered as a hero rather than "live" with sacrificing 300 people to save someone who was willing to sacrifice 300 people to save herself.

Oh I know.. this is my way of saying BW did a pretty darn good job w/ the stories... I sat at my monitor screaming for a good 15 minutes, and I'm still not happy w/ the choice I had to make.. either decision would have stunk...

I have a good idea of how the trooper story goes from here now, and I must say.. no amount if light side options can save the imperial NPC's from my wrath.. Jaxo will be avenged!!!

Edited by Nytak

Oh I know.. this is my way of saying BW did a pretty darn good job w/ the stories... I sat at my monitor screaming for a good 15 minutes, and I'm still not happy w/ the choice I had to make.. either decision would have stunk...

I have a good idea of how the trooper story goes from here now, and I must say.. no amount if light side options can save the imperial NPC's from my wrath.. Jaxo will be avenged!!!

LOL. I get your meaning now.

And the information in the spoiler comments were not directed at you. I have just seen some comments (including other threads) of people who seemed perfectly at ease with the dark side choice in this one. It was more directed at that mind set.

Edited by Sotaudi

I hated BW for making this decision light/dark sided. Sacrificing Jaxo to save 300 random people shouldn't have been light side. There is nothing "good" about that choice. I still picked it because I wanted to be all light side character, but that choice shouldn't have been light side.

My trooper isnt evil or anything like that but I do have quite a few dark side points in stock.

I saved Jaxo because she is a highly trained special forces operative definitely worth more than the 300 sad sacks I traded to save her. I even got affection points from M1-4X for doing it because he thought it was a good plan too. In a way though, I was hoping that by saving her we would be able to team up and save the others as well but instead it turned out to be an either/or choice with no chance to save everyone.

Knowing what I know now, on my next trooper run through, I will let her die since she has that emotional breakdown anyway. Instead of earning the sacrifice those others made, she lost her purpose and made their sacrifice a waste.

I let Jaxo die--I had thought that MAYBE there would be a way to go get her, and then rush back topside and get the soldiers. But when she started crying for me to save her and forget about the soldiers, that was it.

There was no way in creation that my trooper would have been able to look those 300 families in the eye and tell them that I let their sons and daughters die for the sake of one selfish person, even if that person is supposedly a valued SIS operative.

Jaxo's not even worth the star they'd give her on the wall on Coruscant, after her little "OMG LET THEM DIE AND SAVE ME" stunt.

She didn't exactly tell us to kill the others to save her. She just said, please don't let her die there. Not in that particular place. Keep in mind she didn't really know what was going on from where she was at.

Anyway, it was a difficult decision. Had I not been trying to play my toon as lightside, I may have made a different choice and saved her instead.

What I do know is, letting her die should not have been a light side decision. Both choices should have been dark side. You're wrong either way. One way being right for more people doesn't make it any more right.

Edited by ounkeo

Wasnt the choice to save Jaxo or let the prisoners die. I paused for a minute when this one came around but then I just told myself that the prison was probably filled with a bunch of father rapers and waved by to them. Me and Jaxo are sippin on margaritas on the beach while im typing this. Ill gladly eat 100 darkside pionts to keep this hotty around lol.

Wasnt the choice to save Jaxo or let the prisoners die. I paused for a minute when this one came around but then I just told myself that the prison was probably filled with a bunch of father rapers and waved by to them. Me and Jaxo are sippin on margaritas on the beach while im typing this. Ill gladly eat 100 darkside pionts to keep this hotty around lol.

Actually, you probably visited her in the Asylum, after her survivor guilt breakdown.

Did you know she tries to get all troopers in bed so they save her.

You remember the problem you had visiting her.. she said, the door was jammed but she just had to finish that trooper that came out grinning before you got in... he thought the same as he visited her.

Now, Elara is a lot more dependable.

Actually, you probably visited her in the Asylum, after her survivor guilt breakdown.

Did you know she tries to get all troopers in bed so they save her.

You remember the problem you had visiting her.. she said, the door was jammed but she just had to finish that trooper that came out grinning before you got in... he thought the same as he visited her.

Now, Elara is a lot more dependable.

Dont you talk about my women Jaxo like that. Shes just a free spirit. Sometimes a little too free. But anyways Elara doesnt know anything about Jaxo and I plain on keeping it that way so make sure you hide that behind a spoiler alert lol. Elara is a great house wife but Jaxo can suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch.