The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Server Population is GROWING!

Azzras

I'm not an economist. And I find people who typically deride analogies are those who lack the creativity to see the point. Rather, they avoid the logic by attacking the set of facts because that's just somehow easier for them.

yes, i hate it too when people do that. thank you mr. economist.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And no you won't see me back. I've been here longer than you, supported this game since the site flipped on and they have just disappointed me like no other. Tried to like the game, but all the restrictions, the forced theme park feel, I am gone in 10 days

I await the person telling me I am 'trolling' or 'have an agenda' when I have been here since day one. rofl

See. I don't get this. I've been following this game as long as you. How did you think it was going to be anything other than what we got? It freakin boggles the mind that people could allow themselves to be deluded otherwise.

I knew exactly what this game was going to be. And now that I play it, the only surprises for me are how engaging the stories are and how fun the companion system is.

An analogy would be if you went to a restaurant, ordered a steak, and demanded a refund for it being undercooked after you finished most of it. You would not get your money back.

I don't need to ask for a refund. All i am required to do is to make them and the public aware of my dissatisfaction and take my business elsewhere. How they respond to said criticism is up to them. ;)

... does this really warrant 27 pages of discussion? I jumped in to see if there was any hard data here, as it seems the server I'm on is definitely regressing towards less people, not more.

Without hard data from Bioware this is just one big huge circle... umm discussion.

... does this really warrant 27 pages of discussion? I jumped in to see if there was any hard data here, as it seems the server I'm on is definitely regressing towards less people, not more.

Without hard data from Bioware this is just one big huge circle... umm discussion.

Since this a analogy-centric discussion...."Where there's smoke, there's fire."

I hope that it's not too cryptic for you.

I don't care whether or not server populations (like they change in unison...) are growing or falling. I just care that some servers are dead. They are dead in the sense that they are not MMO due to the lack of players everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. It is a real problem, and it needs to be fixed. I just hope Bioware's fix is not advertising or marketing, because people don't want to play when their Legacy is on a dead server.

Some servers are growing, and yay go them! But for the ones that are not there needs a fix. I am re-rolling on Legions of Lettow.

Edited by omNOMNOMinator

That's actually a metaphor, not an analogy.

Actually, it's an idiom. Also, my point still stands regardless of its definition.

I suggest that you focus your arm chair lectures on all these various subjects on somebody that actually gives a crap. ;)

Only in the 2 weeks I have been playing I have noticed quite a huge influx of players (assume through the free trial which will flood the players in as it hooked me :D ). Who knows, maybe merges might not be needed, our server (The Jekk Jekk Tar) is growing steadily, and has a nice population balance. It feels like a close knit town community, everyone knows each other and in PvP you know who to go for and who to avoid.

Also incase anyones wondering, the JJT has a high GLBT population, and multiple guilds with this in mind, so if you are of that persuasion, grab your Handbagsaber, sparkle up your droid and mince on over, we have Blue Milk Mohitos!

Edited by Vahzl

I don't care whether or not server populations (like they change in unison...) are growing or falling. I just care that some servers are dead. They are dead in the sense that they are not MMO due to the lack of players everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. It is a real problem, and it needs to be fixed. I just hope Bioware's fix is not advertising or marketing, because people don't want to play when their Legacy is on a dead server.

Some servers are growing, and yay go them! But for the ones that are not there needs a fix. I am re-rolling on Legions of Lettow.

Even WoW had this problem when they were bragging about their 12.5 million players all MMO's have this issue, yet I have never seen a MMO where people complain about it so much; everywhere else they just Cowboy up and move.

I hope BioWare offers transfers soon so people can start crying about transfer fees instead of dead servers. :/

Even WoW had this problem when they were bragging about their 12.5 million players all MMO's have this issue, yet I have never seen a MMO where people complain about it so much; everywhere else they just Cowboy up and move.

I hope BioWare offers transfers soon so people can start crying about transfer fees instead of dead servers. :/

No, in this context they either do what Rift did and merge them.

Or they do what Warhammer Online did and wait till servers completely die.

The Rift way was much better for players and EA's bank-balance.

So there's a lot of noise out there about pop up, pop down, pop sideways.

I'm a scientist by trade, so I prefer actual numbers.

Here's the actual data for my server, Sanctum of the Exalted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aregkvys5QFodDlvU05lQ3o2S3ZrYU9SYjRwM29OSnc#gid=0

If you flip to the other two tabs, you'll see some crude summary statistics.

It's only about 35 data points over the last three weeks. That's not a very thorough summary, but it's what I've got, and a little data is better than no data at all.

Suffice to say, we've got about 350 people on as our grand average, but it's about 550 during peak times.

The variability is very high (range is shown, for those of you who like to see these kind of things, coefficient of variation is generally well above 0.5).

Right now, that's not enough data, and the data is too noisy to tell if it's going up or down.

If you'd like to add more numbers to the mix, I'm happy to leave the sheet up to host data from other servers.

Survey is here:

http://www.thethirteenthlegion.torportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=433241&TabID=3813820

Paige

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aregkvys5QFodDlvU05lQ3o2S3ZrYU9SYjRwM29OSnc#gid=0

It's only about 35 data points over the last three weeks. That's not a very thorough summary, but it's what I've got, and a little data is better than no data at all.

Suffice to say, we've got about 350 people on as our grand average, but it's about 550 during peak times.

The variability is very high (range is shown, for those of you who like to see these kind of things, coefficient of variation is generally well above 0.5).

Right now, that's not enough data, and the data is too noisy to tell if it's going up or down.

If you'd like to add more numbers to the mix, I'm happy to leave the sheet up to host data from other servers.

Survey is here:

http://www.thethirteenthlegion.torportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=433241&TabID=3813820

Paige

I don't feel surveys like this are a good measure because they always assume that the data collected is an accurate sample of the population with nothing more to go on but the willingness of the player to fill out said survey.

The only way to gather empirical evidence is to have accurate data to begin with.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

I don't feel surveys like this are a good measure because they always assume that the data collected is an accurate sample of the population with nothing more to go on but the willingness of the player to fill out said survey.

The only way to gather empirical evidence is to have accurate data to begin with.

And yet people randomly posting that there is no one standing in the same zone as them means the end of the world is solid evidence that the game has died?

Survey is here:

Paige

Although I appreciate things like this, you are missing some major things here as well. People, depending on preferences, spend most of their non-questing time in either their Spaceship doing Space Battles, in a warzone doing Warzone PVP or in one of the multitude of Flashpoints in the game.

I have never been in any of these locations and been the only person/group present in that specific 'zone'. Your data totally misses these people that are actively somewhere else than Fleet Ilum or levelling zones. Therefore the numbers are too incomplete to mean anything on actual population size.

I understand the point that some data is better than none, but this is a huge gaping hole that stops any true conclusion from being made from this.

Although I appreciate things like this, you are missing some major things here as well. People, depending on preferences, spend most of their non-questing time in either their Spaceship doing Space Battles, in a warzone doing Warzone PVP or in one of the multitude of Flashpoints in the game.

I have never been in any of these locations and been the only person/group present in that specific 'zone'. Your data totally misses these people that are actively somewhere else than Fleet Ilum or levelling zones. Therefore the numbers are too incomplete to mean anything on actual population size.

I understand the point that some data is better than none, but this is a huge gaping hole that stops any true conclusion from being made from this.

I have to agree with this statement.

Your data totally misses these people that are actively somewhere else than Fleet Ilum or levelling zones. Therefore the numbers are too incomplete to mean anything on actual population size.

I believe that /who is a server wide survey. If you have information contrarywise, I'd love to see the link. Please post.

Paige

I do not claim that the data is an accurate sample of the population.

Please note the following limitations of the data:

1. It's user reported. People could be lying their butts off. (I don't think they are, but it's surely possible.)

2. It's user reported. People report in at odd times so I don't have a perfect distribution of times (far more off-peak data).

3. I do not require people to /who all the potential level 50 classes, so if there are more than 100 level 50s, then they are still capped at 100. This will under-report the 50s.

4. I only have a limited time span of data.

5. I have a limited amount of data.

There are plenty of pitfalls in user-reported data. Having said that, I know several of the folks that are reporting in for my server. Good folks.

If you've got a better way to do this with available resources, please let me know.

It's really not that complicated. Press O, click Who, and type the Search Terms, e.g. 1-50. It doesn't matter what planet, warzone, or ship they're on. They will show up. The list only returns 100 names at a time, so on more populated servers you will have to refine the terms, e.g., 1-20, 21-40, 41-50.

There are a grand total of 191 people* on my server right now.

*100 Republic, 91 Empire

Edited by NotDonnaReed

That's an oxymoron. :confused:

Wow OP, you really took being a blinded fan boy to a whole new level. This game is not growing, is losing subs each day. I think the only reason a few server are getting more people is because some low pop server players are rerolling to medium ones. FYI most Swtor podcast and guilds are complaining that there losing people. I think BioWare recently said they have over a million active subs: so 2 million bought the game, 1.7 paid for the first month, a little over 1 million left in the third month: that is the community losing people. I would guess there are about 800K subs active now; I just cancelled my sub today because I am getting ready for diablo 3 and MoP. Maybe I will come back when they get add on support and x-server LFG or when it becomes F2P. Edited by samht