Unofficial server forums

Mangala

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been shown time and time again over the internet that due to human nature, "fans" running whole communities with no one to oversight or vet them rarely ends well due to the cliques that inevitably form around having power). I like that we have very fully and actively staffed official forums and hope they will continue like that for the future and further grow the community It really, really, is the best way rather than giving up and leaving, since most new people will always come to the official forums anyway you lose your audience by retreating out to clan and fan sites!

I made a big reply on this stuff here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=67106&page=2

I understand what you mean, Someone get's power and then we have a dictatorship chaos on our hands if it all goes wrong.

However, i feel that it's better to start something up then just sitting aidle and wait for bioware to do someting they most likley wont do, that's why i started up my forum, i dipped into my christmas bonus to buy a Vbulletin license, a vbulletin skin, have a logo made among more things just to help the community out in the way i can do it.

Yeah I see your point but threads for the different servers work just as well really, the thing is when people move away from the official site they will find that less people actually have time to check many different competing (sometimes financially, ick) websites and so advertising for events etc means the majority of people still using the official forums just don't hear about it.

And with the nature of them being ran by individuals that have not been vetted in any way, there's simply no way to know who to trust til something bad happens like censoring based on personal opinions, bannings based on guild vendettas, etc - compared to the official ones where there is oversight from the rest of the company on moderator actions and we have avenues of complaint.

You sound ok, but all too often they are set up by boys just wanting to have power over people, it's the same mentality as a lot of guild leaders which is why I tend to avoid guild dramas and make lots of friends independently instead.

But yeah, that long post I linked is best to read, I'll just end up repeating myself otherwise hehe

I applaud the efforts of players to organize their own server forums.

However, they are no substitute for server forums operated and maintained by the developer of the game.

Yeah, that is really it really. I don't know why they stickied this and it's a bit disappointing...

Edited by SelinaK

)

I was also thinking of setting up an IRC server if you guys would be interested in that ?

Is there a reason why you wouldnt use Quakenet like some others already do I am a quakenet staffer and part of their PR team and I am "forced" to try getting as many gamers to the network as possible :p Jokes aside, lets try keeping all the irc channels on thesame network? Only makes it easier to swap

Is there a reason why you wouldnt use Quakenet like some others already do I am a quakenet staffer and part of their PR team and I am "forced" to try getting as many gamers to the network as possible :p Jokes aside, lets try keeping all the irc channels on thesame network? Only makes it easier to swap

Quakenet has to much netsplits!

We should use kottnet, irc.kottnet.net there is nearly none netsplits there over a year but quakenet has them daily.

I think most people are still waiting for someone to stand up and say "This is the official server forums site" to a forum with all the servers and more, such as the old Warhammeralliance etc style forums (suprised curse haven't done this again tbh).

That way if there are any xfers/alts on other servers there's no requirement for multi-registration.