Is dual spec fair to pure damage classes?

DarthSeidhr

My personal opinion is no.

The gunslinger/sniper and sentinel/marauder have three trees that all do one thing - damage. All of the other AC's have access to some combination of damage, tanking, and healing. Dual specialization will be much more useful for these classes than for pure damage classes. For example, my mercenary being able to switch between damage and healing will be immensely more useful than my gunslinger being able to switch between damage and... oh yeah, a slightly different method of dealing damage.

So why do I think this is a problem? What I foresee is pure AC's being less desirable for operations and flashpoints due to their lower adaptive utility. Under a worst case scenario the pure AC's will be excluded by guilds or groups due to their lack of adaptability. Just think about it. Who would you rather have with you in a group, a mercenary that can DPS or heal depending on the needs of the encounter, or a sniper whose only option is DPS?

So what can be done about this? One option would be to revamp one trees from each pure DPS AC to give it significant utility, but this would be a lot of time and work. Another option would be to disallow changing specializations mid instance. In other words, if someone leaves the instance to change specialization they can't get back in. The instance would have to be reset and the group would have to start over from the beginning.

/Discuss

Your premise assumes that we'll be able to switch specs mid-operation. Don't count on that.

Your premise also assumes that DPS are too stupid to have opted for a healing or tank class in the first place. While humanity in large groups certainly is stupid, individuals tend to make smarter decisions. They're DPS because they want to be DPS, and because they do not want to be healers or tanks. Respec gives them two different flavors of DPS, which is a win for the playstyle they've selected.

If you, personally, are disappointed in your choice of a pure DPS class, you can always re-roll.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is as a Shadow i can't wait to be able to switch back and forth betwen Infiltration (Burst DPS) and Balance (Sustained DPS). I will say shame on BioWare for the pure DPS ACs. Gunslingers/Snipers should have a talent tree focused on offensive debuffing and Sentinels/Marauders should have a talent tree focuses on defensive buffs. Dangit BioWare! Why you no make Jedi Bard!!!

Seems fair to me. Pure DPS classes still benefit from having a dual-spec. You'll be able to have different builds for PvE/PvP etc, and you'll never be bothered by anyone to swap roles. If someone chose a Sentinel or Gunslinger as their AC, it's evident they had no intention of tanking/healing anyway considering that changing specs is already present in the game.

Except for the fact that most dps specs are completely broken and there is only one real way to play. For ex. Annihilation marauder... rage and carnage suck

lol QQ? have u ever tried healing/tanking in full dps gear?? im a BH and lets say i wanna play arsenal, one day i can't just switch to healer and own at it, i still have to gear properly for it for takes quite a long time depending on the server. Bottom line is you cant heal with 0 added alacrity. The eliminators set doesnt give me alacrity, just power, sure its great for heal strength, but its no good in healing HM's if u cant get heals off fast enough.

the set piece bonuses also come into play here, i know for a fact that the bodyguard set gives EXTREMELY valuable bonuses in which if u tried to heal ops without? wouldnt happen.

instead of complaining about being hindered, think about every option. I PvE as arsenal and PvP as pyrotech...im excited

lol QQ? have u ever tried healing/tanking in full dps gear?? im a BH and lets say i wanna play arsenal, one day i can't just switch to healer and own at it, i still have to gear properly for it for takes quite a long time depending on the server. Bottom line is you cant heal with 0 added alacrity. The eliminators set doesnt give me alacrity, just power, sure its great for heal strength, but its no good in healing HM's if u cant get heals off fast enough.

the set piece bonuses also come into play here, i know for a fact that the bodyguard set gives EXTREMELY valuable bonuses in which if u tried to heal ops without? wouldnt happen.

instead of complaining about being hindered, think about every option. I PvE as arsenal and PvP as pyrotech...im excited

Hahahahaha. Dont defend alacrity.

Only valid point is set bonuses, a big problem isbeing able to dps and heal in the same gear in this game, why are you falsifying said problem and trying to /falsly) prove the opposite?

Uhh, sure it is. Damage spec based around PVE, and a damage spec based around PVP. Hybrids have to choose either one PVE/PVP healing, dps or tank, and one PVE/PVP healing, dps or tank spec. For hybrids to get what pures get with dual spec, they need more than two different specs allowed at once. Hybrids will still be spending a lot of credits on respeccing. Edited by Merex

i'll answer your question with a question.

is it fair that a pure DPS AC never pays to respec.

also you won't complain so much when you are on the fleet and after 15 mins of asking for a healer or a tank. one of your group says , "its ok i'll just change my spec"

this is not only useful for the person who want to repec but also for the ppl they are grouping with

My personal opinion is no.

I'm sure someone's said it already but my personal opinion is yes. PvP and PvE spec's tend to be different and therefore if I was a pure DPS class I would be a-ok with that. If you don't PvP or don't PvE then you can just not buy the ability (as I'm sure there will be a credit cost, yay cred sinks!). And if you don't find that fair well, life rarely is...

Under a worst case scenario the pure AC's will be excluded by guilds or groups due to their lack of adaptability. Just think about it.

OP, you're high. WHO in their right mind would exclude the PURE dps from ops?

Everyone needs DPS... who fills this role the BEST other than the pure DPS classes.

You're melodramatic.

The problem raised isn't an issue with dual-spec but rather the class design itself (if you consider it a problem).

And you can respec in this game already, so it's not like this is news to anyone who has been using the respec NPC. I've seen plenty of Commandos switching to healer role, or a DPS Guardian switching to tank etc.

All dual-spec does is make respec'ing cheaper and more convenient in the long run.

If you wanted to play a versatile character, you should pick a class that can fill tank/healing roles. However, Marauders and Snipers have the advantage of having 3 seperate DPS trees, which is heaven for players who are certain they only wish to DPS. They also cannot be yelled at to play a tank/healer as it's impossible for them to do so.

If you're running with a guild or pug that would rather take one of us (I am an Operative) that whines about gearing for 2 roles than to take you as a mainspec dps and use us sparingly and mostly in our main roles, you have more problems than whether or not the dual spec availablity is the fair thing. The best thing is to just make sure you play your pure dps well and show that you're better to fill a dps slot than someone that on the offchance might have to switch specs mid-run, and to run with a guild that sees the benefit of having pure dps on much of their roster. A good guild can manage to be fair to it's members (who have the guild's success in mind not only their own interests) and is good at meeting the guild's goals at the same time.

With the current tanking and in some cases healing needs in operations, either the boss that needs less tanks/heals should also allow for a gimpy dps to be carried (example, a tank in tank spec in dps gear... or an Operative lol), or allow for switching specs in a pinch to keep the operation going with the actual needed operation dps output to avoid an enrage even at nightmare level... or just keep the ops as easy as they are now so it's not an issue either way. Then all Bioware has to do is come out with content super fast so people don't get bored as quickly with PvE endgame because they blow through it so fast.

Personally I'd rather go with the idea of more difficult content, at various levels of difficulty, with different tools guilds and operation members can use to strategize approaches for success. Heck, you can even have a PvP build set up if you don't use dual spec that way, or have a flashpoint spec and an operations spec if only PvE is your thing.

I dont understand this thread. If you picked a pure DPS spec to begin with, you knew you were only going to DPS. BioWare said they are considering dual spec, it doesnt mean that it will happen. However, as with most modern MMOs, dual spec has been implemented. So knowing that, shouldnt you have picked a class that could do more from the beginning?

OP, you're high. WHO in their right mind would exclude the PURE dps from ops?

Everyone needs DPS... who fills this role the BEST other than the pure DPS classes.

You're melodramatic.

I think he means if a Guild needs one more player, they would rather pick up say, a Scoundrel over a Gunslinger. Reason being that should they ever have an imbalance in their raid (like they have too few healers) they could ask their Scoundrel to respec whereas they can't ask the same as a Gunslinger.

It's a scenario that would probably be quite rare though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.