The Psychological jolt at level 50

mattgyver

I was thinking about my experience in SWTOR so far, from late Beta to present day, and all of the reviews and rants I have read. I think that the problem that many have experienced in the game (I include myself here as well) is that the leveling process was too good, and the hype of it caused inevitable post-partum depression.

There is a big contrast between the involvement and anticipation you feel as you level, versus the rather typical MMO Endgame content. There is also a "Grass is Greener" element to the feelings I had at endgame as I thought of previous games I had played at max level and conjured up memories of doing everything under the sun. I had to really examine this and after a bit I concluded that there was not anything drastically different between SWTOR and other MMO endgames.

I think that the problem is one of how I feel at endgame because I finished the single player elements that had accompanied the MMO elements for 50 levels. So essentially for me it was like 2/3rds of the game was suddenly gone, and my companions feel like bookends rather than necessary elements of my story.

I don't know how this could be addressed, but there needs to be some transition between the story part of the game and endgame, otherwise it feels like you are watching the end credits in the theatre and wondering what you are doing there. Anyone else feel the same about this?

Edited by mattgyver

fear not because GW2 will fix everything including the following

World hunger

War

Cancer

Aids

and on rare occasions if you puree the box while chanting and then drink it you can live forever.

It will also stop phones from ringing while at the movies watching a movie. It is just that good.

I was thinking about my experience in SWTOR so far, from late Beta to present day, and all of the reviews and rants I have read. I think that the problem that many have experienced in the game (I include myself here as well) is that the leveling process was too good, and the hype of it caused inevitable post-partum depression.

There is a big contrast between the involvement and anticipation you feel as you level, versus the rather typical MMO Endgame content. There is also a "Grass is Greener" element to the feelings I had at endgame as I thought of previous games I had played at max level and conjured up memories of doing everything under the sun. I had to really examine this and after a bit I concluded that there was not anything drastically different between SWTOR and other MMO endgames.

I think that the problem is one of how we feel at endgame because we finished the single player elements that had accompanied the MMO elements for 50 levels. So essentially for me it was like 2/3rds of the game was suddenly gone, and my companions feel like bookends rather than necessary elements of my story.

I don't know how this could be addressed, but there needs to be some transition between the story part of the game and endgame, otherwise it feels like you are watching the end credits in the theatre and wondering what you are doing there. Anyone else feel the same about this?

Alot of truth here. Then there is the PvP element, which artificially places everyone at level 49 for leveling 10-49. Then you hit 50, get new ranks of all your skills and the final tick on your talent belt. So, you head out and think, "Wow, I hit these guys for 2-400 damage, this skill hit for 1400 damage in PvP only a level ago against other level 49 players. Do I really feel like grinding in a game that previously didn't have a grind to speak of; or do I have better things to do?"

GW2 will fix this at least. :p

Edited by _Marou_

You put "We feel" when you should be putting "I feel" Don't presume to know how or what "I feel", especially when "I DON'T feel" the same as you,

That is all

How come you think he included you? "We" means "the people who feel the same way I do" whether that is 2 people or 2 million people makes no difference. You're not the special snowflake you think you are.

You put "We feel" when you should be putting "I feel" Don't presume to know how or what "I feel", especially when "I DON'T feel" the same as you,

That is all

I apologize, that was the editorial 'we.' I was not my intention to describe the experience of others.

That is all

"We" doesn't have to include you. "We" could mean any number of people who feel the same way as the OP, and I'm sure that was his intention.

You probably think this song is about you.

"We" doesn't have to include you. "We" could mean any number of people who feel the same way as the OP, and I'm sure that was his intention.

You probably think this song is about you.

Actually, "We" is a common tactic of people to use who are not comfortable going in the record as to what they actually feel or believe.

It's very similar to people in the forums putting a question mark on the end of a statement in a thread title. I don't know who they think they are fooling.

Edited by Andryah

I apologize, that was the editorial 'we.' I was not my intention to describe the experience of others.

My statement, was more highlighting the fact that actually, I don't agree with you in the slightest (Other than leveling is amazing!)

I'm totally OK with what there is to do at end-game. I'm totally OK with my story ending (For now) and am very happy with what is incoming for the future (If you'd like a look, see TORhead)

Pointing to the I instead of We, was merely to emphasize the point :D

My statement, was more highlighting the fact that actually, I don't agree with you in the slightest (Other than leveling is amazing!)

I'm totally OK with what there is to do at end-game. I'm totally OK with my story ending (For now) and am very happy with what is incoming for the future (If you'd like a look, see TORhead)

Pointing to the I instead of We, was merely to emphasize the point :D

I don't think leveling is amazing, you should put that YOU think leveling is amazing like you put you that your ok with the other stuff instead of making it sound like a statement of fact. If your going to nit pick at least do it without being a hypocrite. ;)

I don't think leveling is amazing, you should put that YOU think leveling is amazing like you put you that your ok with the other stuff instead of making it sound like a statement of fact.

Read post before quoting :D

I put "I don't agree with you in the slightest (other than........) Therefore stating MY opinion. If usage of language is too hard for you to grasp, you really shouldn't be trying to be witty in comments

Edited by Vlakrar

Dudes, really ...

What can possibly be done by the devs at end-game in the short term? By all the laws of what is natural nothing man-made lasts forever. Especially with respect to entertainment. No book, no TV show, no movie, no story, no sport.

The devs have to create some sort of end, like in a book series. One book comes to an end while the author writes a new book. The readers just have to wait for new content.

At least in the MMO world there is a "workaround" which is what the current end-game content is for all MMOs: raiding, war zones, PvP, starting a new toon, etc, etc, etc.

What could possibly be done about this, beyond writing new content (which the audience has to wait for)? If anyone here has a better solution to end game, please bring it forward or sell the idea to a game company and make zillions of dollars.

Seriously. Some people were reporting level 50 after less than a week. What a waste. So much content missed, so many long, sleepless nights burned by grinding he heck out of the game, so little social interaction. Why not sit back and enjoy the ride. The ride is awesome. I'm savouring every single moment. It gives the devs time to build new content.

Also keep in mind that at the beginning of an MMO there will be glitches, bugs and items people want to see change. These need to be fixed - and they are being fixed weekly. But honestly none of these things is game breaking.

Give the devs a reasonable amount of time and they wil deliver more great story - this is BioWare, after all.

With respect,

Sand

Actually, "We" is a common tactic of people to use who are not comfortable going in the record as to what they actually feel or believe.

It's very similar to people in the forums putting a question mark on the end of a statement in a thread title. I don't know who they think they are fooling.

That's where reading comprehension can save you from yourself. We knew what the OP meant and didn't have to jump down his throat about the words he chose, rather we chose to focus on the content...