Roots and Resolve.

Sidonie

I'd like a statement from Bioware as to why roots and slows are not connected to resolve.

I think there's a widespread agreement among players that it should be there. Continually being able to slow a melee class (or any class), and root them entirely without penalty is just plain bad design.

What gives? If you won't add it to resolve, give it its own "resolve-like" bar. With all the control casters have with slows and a knock-back which roots, it's becoming a headache in places like Huttball where movement wins games.

I agree with half of this, Bioware really needs to take another look at this. Snares being off resolve are fine imo.

When you root someone though, especially a melee, it's essentially a full stun to us(unless you're dumb enough to stand in range). At the very least allow our charges and leaps to be used while rooted and/or add a short cd root-breaking ability seperate from our CC breaker.

Edited by Bloodgaze

I agree with Roots being on the Resolve bar, but not slows. pretty much makes melee unable to be kited.

There still needs to be a diminishing return, though. After so many slows, if you haven't killed them, there's something wrong there. Infinite kiting isn't fair. Never will be. They need their own diminishing return AKA a new resolve mechanic.

I agree with half of this, Bioware really needs to take another look at this. Snares being off resolve are fine imo.

When you root someone though, especially a melee, it's essentially a full stun to us(unless you're dumb enough to stand in range). At the very least allow our charges and leaps to be used while rooted and/or add a short cd root-breaking ability seperate from our CC breaker.

This. Melee are essentially screwed when they're rooted. They get to stand there with their man-parts in their hands with nothing to do but auto-attack with a measly gun.

EDIT: Well, I guess marauders and sentinels have it worse; no gun.

Edited by Sidonie

There still needs to be a diminishing return, though. After so many slows, if you haven't killed them, there's something wrong there. Infinite kiting isn't fair. Never will be. They need their own diminishing return AKA a new resolve mechanic.

Unfortunately:

Chilling Scream and its Counterpart is an AOE snare that can be pretty much spammed by Juggs/Guardians which will fill up the bar of anyone around them.

Assassins/Shadows have their snare uptime to almost 100% when talented

Pyrotechs have their 2 sec slow uptime by 100% when talented.

So there just can't be one with how easy it is to get snared

I'm mostly just annoyed at how much control Sorcs and Sages have. I think I'd be happy with roots being added to resolve, slows I can live with I guess.

Anyway, still waiting for Bioware to come out with some information about this. I'm so sick of Huttball, lol. It just makes me not even want to bother since it's a battle of CC's, but I need to keep my characters' valor rank somewhat close to their base level.

I'm mostly just annoyed at how much control Sorcs and Sages have. I think I'd be happy with roots being added to resolve, slows I can live with I guess.

Anyway, still waiting for Bioware to come out with some information about this. I'm so sick of Huttball, lol. It just makes me not even want to bother since it's a battle of CC's, but I need to keep my characters' valor rank somewhat close to their base level.

Huttball needs a good rework. its extremely ranged friendly but we will come to that when we can. I was just against it because if you are trying to kite carefully and your target gets caught in an AOE snare that fills the resolve you would pretty much be screwed for the full 8 seconds. :)

There are melee classes (mostly Shadow/Assassin and Operative/Scoundrel) that relay on slow to keep their target in their crappy 4 meter melee range.

Playing both of those I can't agree to add slow to resolve.

And I'm not a fan of adding every root either because I think the Ops/Scoundrel needs their 2 sec root on their slow (Pin Down skill) in order to catch up to a fleeing target. They do not have a jump, pull or force speed ability to cover ground fast as other classes may have.

The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is the Cover Pulse of the Sniper/Gunslinger as it is not only push back but a 5 sec root. Maybe reduce the root effect to 2 sec like Pin Down of the Ops/Scoundrel.

As I suggested in the other CC topic add 3 – 5 sec CC immunity to every escape skill and reduce cool down to lets say 1 minute. Roots and slows could be cured (and added to the immunity) by that skill as well.

That could solve a lot of issues.

I agree with Roots being on the Resolve bar, but not slows. pretty much makes melee unable to be kited.

This is fine, except that most classes that have a snare also have a talent somewhere in their AC that makes that snare a root.

Also Sorcs have a talent that adds a root to their Overload.

Roots must be added to resolve. Snares, no. For all of the excellent reasons everyone has cited above.

If the BW goes the other way and makes the resolve bar fill up too fast from these abilities, then they will rarely be able to be used, and thus fail to fulfill their intended purpose; which is to keep a player in range of more attacks, or keep him away from you.

It's never going to happen.

Ranged classes are too static in this game, they need to stop to dps, they can't kill you whilst staying mobile for everything but cc (see dot dot dot, and ice lance ice lance ice lance).

It would require thorough rework or snares, you snare someone who roots you, if it only lasts 2 seconds if they're damaging you, you will at most lose 1 gcd, and often lose none.

Ranged classes have their 5 second roots break on damage at 2 to prevent the stop and pop being overdone, melee get their up 3 second root that doesn't break

That people seem to think that snares not being on resolve to prevent range from shaking melee is ok, but roots being on resolve, and by so preventing range classes from creating a distance at the point where both resolve bars are full is hypocrisy at its finest.

Edited by Adzzy

Roots are just as devastating against ranged classes as they are for them, such as when you are chain charged by warriors and unable to move out of melee range. As it is, you can be rooted almost permanently. Definitely needs to be added to resolve.

Perhaps it should not add to the bar, but one should be immune to roots with a full bar. Our CC breaker breaks roots. It only makes sense that it should be considered a CC.

The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is the Cover Pulse of the Sniper/Gunslinger as it is not only push back but a 5 sec root. Maybe reduce the root effect to 2 sec like Pin Down of the Ops/Scoundrel.

Yes, because snipers/gunslingers are so OP and have so many other defenses against melee classes in range... :rolleyes:

This is fine, except that most classes that have a snare also have a talent somewhere in their AC that makes that snare a root.

Also Sorcs have a talent that adds a root to their Overload.

So what, the snare part don't give resolve, the root part does. Fixed.

That people seem to think that snares not being on resolve to prevent range from shaking melee is ok, but roots being on resolve, and by so preventing range classes from creating a distance at the point where both resolve bars are full is hypocrisy at its finest.

There are already knockbacks, stuns and mezz, How much gap creators do you think you need, are you going to play on a football stadium or what ?

I play a gunslinger, i can not only create several times a gap, but overlap my cc's with root to render completly unable a pure melee to do squat.

Edited by Keldaur

There is nothing wrong with the current state of how roots work or snares. Melee do not need a free pass at the classes with root ability (Consulars and Inquisitors).

A root is nowhere near the same type of CC as a stun. While rooted you can still pop a medpac, stim, use an ability, etc. Stun you cannot. Most roots are 2 seconds or less and abilities that inflict a root are on a longer cooldown. So again, no, roots do not need to be placed on the resolve bar.

What does need to happen is a complete revamp of the resolve system. Not a reworking of abilities. That is another thread though....

Nobody supporting this can be playing a warrior/knight in pvp. Making our gap closer create resolve and be negated by resolve would gimp us so hard.

We would gimp our team severally by filling up resolve bars left and right just to get in range to deal damage.

And moving players with full resolve bars would be untouchable since by the time you land from the leap they would be out of melee range.

Roots are just as devastating against ranged classes as they are for them, such as when you are chain charged by warriors and unable to move out of melee range. As it is, you can be rooted almost permanently. Definitely needs to be added to resolve.

Perhaps it should not add to the bar, but one should be immune to roots with a full bar. Our CC breaker breaks roots. It only makes sense that it should be considered a CC.

Logic.