Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

And as I already pointed out a page or two back, 80% of the things you said you wished you could do, you can already do in this game! Is it Bioware's fault that you won't camp heroic areas for purple drops, but were willing to camp the DWB until the cows came home in SWG? No. Is it their fault that you won't get your friends together to fight world bosses the way you used to do with Krayt dragons and the like? No. Can they help it that you find looking for crafting materials beneath you on TOR, yet somehow it was magically more fun in SWG? No. Is there a reason why finding and clicking on Codex entries is less satisfying than finding and clicking SWG collections? They're both exactly the same thing so what is the issue other than blind nostalgia?

That's another thing I find quite silly....people griping about TOR "not letting" them do stuff they are very able to do but choose not to.

Wow wrong again I said that's what there was to like and to answer some of your things that you could do in tor duel and hang in cantenas ok where is there a cantena that actualy has a person in it and codex vs collection collections gave reawards codex does not. Scaning planets for recources and going to a planet to click a node completley different. All your argument are mean nothing because on a swg vs tor thread when a post says stuff to do in swg you take it as we are saying make this game swg 2 and its not. your camplaints have a valid point but you are in the wrong forum topic. Your argument belongs in make tor swg not a swg vs tor with answers of go play the emulator.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow wrong again I said that's what there was to like and to answer some of your things that you could do in tor duel and hang in cantenas ok where is there a cantena that actualy has a person in it

Have you tried Republic or Imperial Fleet? Plenty of people in those socializing and looking for things to do. Or does it only count if they literally call it a "cantina?"

and codex vs collection collections gave reawards codex does not.

Codex give experience rewards. Datacrons give you stat bonuses.

Scaning planets for recources and going to a planet to click a node completley different.

Not really, no. One is more time consuming but that's about it.

All your argument are mean nothing because on a swg vs tor thread when a post says stuff to do in swg you take it as we are saying make this game swg 2 and its not. your camplaints have a valid point but you are in the wrong forum topic. Your argument belongs in make tor swg not a swg vs tor with answers of go play the emulator.

All my argument are mean a lot, because I am pointing out that you can already do what you claim this game won't let you do. In short, the problem is yours, not Bioware's.

Edited by Jmannseelo

Have you tried Republic or Imperial Fleet? Plenty of people in those socializing and looking for things to do. Or does it only count if they literally call it a "cantina?"

Codex give experience rewards. Datacrons give you stat bonuses.

Not really, no. One is more time consuming but that's about it.

All my argument are mean a lot, because I am pointing out that you can already do what you claim this game won't let you do. In short, the problem is yours, not Bioware's.

Rofl realy u are not even worth a response it would just be me saying the same thing you won't get it and think you have argument on this topic when you don't have fun qqin in the wrong post I will not answer any more of your nonsence.

This post is pointless because if you defend SWTOR, you are bioware defense force, and if you support SWG you are just a troll. No real discussion. It's annoying and pointless to keep posting threads about SWG. It's gone and this is a different game.

When this game was being developed and information was coming out, Bioware said they knew what sandbox and themepark were and TOR would land somewhere in the middle. It absolutely does not land in the middle at all. VO and story in this game is very good, but it's overdone. To much of a good thing can be bad. The game just doesn't have that open living feel to it. There's surely not enough out of combat system tools for players to make the game world come alive. I'm not saying the game is bad, but it could have been so much more and better.

TLDR any one who defends SW:tor because of its quests and voice overs. got news for you last time i checked that makes you a role player and therefor nonfactor

if it wasnt starwars no one would play, WoW 2.0 only good feature of the game no more reading quests,..... to bad no one plays mmo's for the quests :( if they did this game might have more people

throwing money at a game does not make it good. swg was good pre cu pre nge and nge all had its ups and its down for alot mostly ups to the ones who stayed threw cu and nge

you cant compare galaxies to ANY other game really, because after WoW came out every single mmo pretty much cloned its succses. you cant comare a mmo like galaxies to a mmo like WoW aka SW:tor because when you get down to the core of the game, it is a wow clone, and can only blame its succses on having a allready huge fan base. if this game was about anything else besides star wars i think every one would be seeing how bad 80% of the game is right now 20% the stuff that works and is added in game is nice. all the other ****. meh average mmo to say the min

Edited by bizzkut

Too bad for you that you are completely wrong about that. But hey, keep on dreaming.

sorry, but i dont carebare around with npcs and storylines all that is just roleplaying and that is left to the nonfactors

sorry, but i dont carebare around with npcs and storylines all that is just roleplaying and that is left to the nonfactors

That's fine, but you are not everybody. Therefore, "nobody" enjoys questing is a falsehood. Matter of fact, since most people like questing to at least some degree, those "nonfactors" outnumber the small minority you acknowledge by a huuuuge margin.

Enjoy your delusions though.

You sound like some monkey from noobfin, no one cares about your "form warrior" crap here kid.

Its not moaning that this game isn't swg 2 we are just asking for more to do anything. And compairing like the topic of this post is swg vs tor so yea people are going to bring up the stuff to do in swg as a for instance. All your ranting is making a point that noone is saying to do. No we don't want tor to be swg 2 we want **** to do. What's so hard about understanding that. Must justbe the carebear mentality

I understand the point your trying to make, but I think your missing his completely. I understand that your asking for more to do and that you dont want another swg 2, which is fine, but what you described what you did during swg, and for the most part he pointed out that you can pretty much do that in this game to a certain extent (except for decorating houses/player bounties). Its somewhat similar but its not exactly the same.

You know what I find funny, i didnt realize that so many men were closet home decorators.

I also find it funny that people say this game is a grind, but had no problem grinding out

"32" professions when most of them were broken and did it in solo groups on dant, and say that swg class system was fun.

I played SWG for 8 yrs, my only regret is that I didn't jump in at the death for old times sake. This game is different....I miss the training aspect from galaxies where you were encouraged to be social and could be trained by fellow players. The entertainer profession was also quite good for the casual player. But hey ho this is a different game made by different people, galaxies signed it own death warrant with the combat upgrade (although it was a slow lingering death!). The bottom line is that if you don't enjoy TOR don't subscribe. My own feeling is that I cannot see myself playing this for 8yrs and I think bioware will be aware of that so the content must evolve. Saying that I am enjoying it at the mo :+)

I understand the point your trying to make, but I think your missing his completely. I understand that your asking for more to do and that you dont want another swg 2, which is fine, but what you described what you did during swg, and for the most part he pointed out that you can pretty much do that in this game to a certain extent (except for decorating houses/player bounties). Its somewhat similar but its not exactly the same.

You know what I find funny, i didnt realize that so many men were closet home decorators.

I also find it funny that people say this game is a grind, but had no problem grinding out

"32" professions when most of them were broken and did it in solo groups on dant, and say that swg class system was fun.

Funny thing is, I would also like more to do at level cap. Where he and I drastically part ways though is I hope it translates to more questing, both group and solo. All the stuff I pointed out that can more or less be done in TOR? I hated that crap in SWG, and I really hope to avoid having to do that here.

I think bioware will be aware of that so the content must evolve.

I think this is key. TOR is in it's infancy and will continue to grow as time goes on. What we have now isn't everything we're going to have a year or two from now.

Funny thing is, I would also like more to do at level cap. Where he and I drastically part ways though is I hope it translates to more questing, both group and solo. All the stuff I pointed out that can more or less be done in TOR? I hated that crap in SWG, and I really hope to avoid having to do that here.

I agree with you, and I think thats where hes failing to realize the point your trying to make. I think most of us can agree that there could be more stuff in this game to do, but what he was describing for the most part can be done in this game. its not exactly the same, but its pretty similar.

houses were more than just playing deco house some were greats scenes and creative ideas of using all sorts of things to make other items knew a guy who made a bunch of cars and you could sit in them and dueling chambers all blacked out and so on this is what i did

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=295885

now the stuff i said i did in swg are nothing like the similar stuff you say in tor

and idk who says this game is a grind the only thing to grind for is bm tokens i still this its to easy. sucks that the people who want a chalenge and a sence of acompleshment are the minority now :(

Edited by greenleef

houses were more than just playing deco house some were greats scenes and creative ideas of using all sorts of things to make other items knew a guy who made a bunch of cars and you could sit in them and dueling chambers all blacked out and so on this is what i did

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=295885

now the stuff i said i did in swg are nothing like the similar stuff you say in tor

and idk who says this game is a grind the only thing to grind for is bm tokens i still this its to easy. sucks that the people who want a chalenge and a sence of acompleshment are the minority now :(

For the most part, the biggest challenge in swg was becoming a jedi pre-pub 9, other than that, there wasn't much challenge. Your really splitting hairs, you realize that? What you mention can be done in this game in somewhat of a similar manner, its not exactly the same, but pretty close. The only you mentioned that this game does need to add is player housing that all the closet home interior decorators have something to do, and player bounties. For the most part player bounties became better in the nge, so i can let that pass for now.

All I would like to have seen is more freedom of travel around the planets with multiple cities and startports. Personally, i had never considered when awaiting release that the planets would be as instanced as they are with zoned areas that play like console gaming levels.

That is the biggest issue i have, i can live without player housing, player cities, Storyteller. I can even live with out sitting in chairs and day and night cycles.

As of right now I find little to no reason to travel to planets i have already traveled to, exploration is minimal and complete through questing. The "virtual world" feels non existent here. Instead this is just a video game.

For the most part, the biggest challenge in swg was becoming a jedi pre-pub 9, other than that, there wasn't much challenge. Your really splitting hairs, you realize that? What you mention can be done in this game in somewhat of a similar manner, its not exactly the same, but pretty close. The only you mentioned that this game does need to add is player housing that all the closet home interior decorators have something to do, and player bounties. For the most part player bounties became better in the nge, so i can let that pass for now.

space is noting i would ever want to do in this game past leveling dailys comparing the 2 as similar is a joke

cantena dueling to the fleet being populated to hang out cant duel there yet but i read they will add that sometime so meh and driving around clicking nods is no where the same as scaning planets for rescources plus send 5 companions out for it lol

this is all besides the point and the point is all i said was things i did in swg compaired to tor like the TOPIC said. not once i said i want this game to be a swg 2. everyone just wants to start arguments when they are not there. yea i said i want more to do and this game realy doesnt have much to do and it doesnt thats a fact.

space is noting i would ever want to do in this game past leveling dailys comparing the 2 as similar is a joke

cantena dueling to the fleet being populated to hang out cant duel there yet but i read they will add that sometime so meh and driving around clicking nods is no where the same as scaning planets for rescources plus send 5 companions out for it lol

this is all besides the point and the point is all i said was things i did in swg compaired to tor like the TOPIC said. not once i said i want this game to be a swg 2. everyone just wants to start arguments when they are not there. yea i said i want more to do and this game realy doesnt have much to do and it doesnt thats a fact.

I understand that, but what you mention can be done in this game. It might not be the way you want it to be, but its there. Its similar in nature, but not exactly the same.

I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me, but SWG was ahead of its time in many ways. The three best things SWG had going for it were player housing/cities, social features, and crafting. So many people flame SWG for all the things they didn't like about it, and I'm sure a good number of them never even played it...

The crafting system in that game was so much more in depth than any other MMO as of yet. You actually had to go out and harvest the minerals or materials you needed. You had to power your moisture vaporizers on Tatooine. If you wanted to pool resources and become a successful crafter you had to work at it. Different resources would pop up at different spots on different planets and you had to survey to find the hot spots for the resources with the best stats. Once you were established though, it was rewarding. You could have your own shop and people would pay for your goods knowing your name meant quality.

SWG was also much more of a sandbox game than anything else. I played from beta through NGE and cancelled my sub immediately after NGE hit. I honestly wish this game had more planets that were set up similarly to those from SWG. Ditch the rails and spread out the quest givers or remove them and just make it about exploring the planet. In the future I'd really love to see this game have player housing and player cities.

Some people like the social side of MMOs and SWG did a great job catering to those folks. You could talk with either faction. Pvpers could go covert when in enemy territory or go overt and openly wage battle on any planet, anywhere at any time.

All these other forum members bashing SWG refuse to see where I firmly believe it did some things "right". SWG may not have had 10 million subs but I feel like it offered a more diverse array of features. My most honest opinion is that there are these people out there who will whine when things aren't handed to them in a game where you have to work to earn your rewards. When enough of these people complain, it is not too far-fetched to think that they can shape the way that games change. Perhaps that sounds like I'm being hypocritical. I'm not asking for anything to be made "easy". I would like to see more complexity in the game. Does anybody else find this game to be as incredibly simple as I do?

In my opinion, SWG (Pre-CU) > TOR, but that's only for now... I know SWTOR has plenty of potential and some great stuff ahead but it feels like its taking a long time to reach the 'promsed land'. For me, I'd like to see more open worlds, free to explore, no more rails. Same with space combat, eventually it would be nice to ditch the rails. I'd love to see a new level of complexity with crafting. I know it makes many people shy away from crafting but currently there's little to no challenge in any of the crew skills. This game is a Star Wars game, and the only thing, for me, that feels really Star Warsy is the storytelling.

I am still subbed to this game. I don't plan to quit for a while. I play on Prophecy of the Five, which has a little bit of a pop problem lately. Out of 120 guildmates, only 10-20 are still active. These are just my observations and I don't believe I can sway opinion with my words. That's not my intention. After reading posts upon posts of flames and snide remarks, I felt like voicing my experience with both games. I hope very good things come together for this game. I enjoy playing ToR but am currently awaiting the next big patch.

* I apologize if you've read this far and have realized I have summed up everything stated in other replies, I just read the title, a few flames and then replied. Hopefully that isn't the case but forums are the usually the land of redundancy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.