SW:TOR vs. X

vanisle

The other thing to remember is that they're comparing a launched game to an un-launched game. The difference? Rosetinted glasses and a lack of hands on experience.

I keep seeing things like 'GW2 will bury SWTOR' and they claim it is because of the lack of this, absense of that ect.. ect.. but in reality they haven't played GW2 from start to end like they have with TOR so they have no idea of it's quality or problems.

If they're expecting GW2 not to have shortcomings then they're kidding themselves. Compare GW2 to TOR once it is released and compare their state at launch.

The fact that people keep bringing up TERA makes me laugh, that game is a grindy MMO made by a korean company..............and it failed.

Just because there will be more content than the original launch do people really expect it to be better?

This game has its flaws and those can be fixed, what can't be fixed are the delusional expectations of people and their impatience.

EDIT: Oh and GW2 looks just as boring as the first one.

Edited by Dorin_Kass

i like SWTOR very much atm .i have 2 lvl 50's now ( 1 Pub and 1 Imp) and i pvp/pve w/ them quite often .

looking forward to GW 2 because it looks like the perfect 2nd MMO to play right along side of SWTOR.

i am still a big fan of Anarchy Online, so i'm looking forward to funcoms 3rd MMO (which just got bumped to June) . but it may replace GW2 as my second MMO if i like it .

done w/ WOW for ever .

played Diablo 1, never played Diablo 2, probably wont play Diablo 3 ..

Edited by badseed

Like every MMo thats now live, each new MMO will be dubbed "the final nail in the coffin" same as every update from Bioware until the game finishes will be too. It gets old, and most people who have played an MMO will shrug and ignore it, while the drones battle the fanbois over it

Over the course of 6 months, 3.5 million people could purchase GW2. If that happens, the developers could then claim a year later (when only 2 million are playing the game) that they have 3.5 million players. That is the blessing with F2P models. Most P2P MMOs that adopted the F2P model have a decent spike of players.. .some of which will pay for more content through micro transactions. DDO and LotR come to mind.

GW2, due to the Free to Play model (Just have to buy the game) will appeal to a LOT of people. Current players of WoW, SWTOR, etc, can pick it up and play when they wish. GW1 was played by a lot of peeps playing Pay to Play MMOs during down times... those times between patches/expansions. GW 2 will be no different.

I have yet to see anything innovative about GW 2. Innovative compared to western MMOs, maybe... but not to video games in general. Dodging, changing weapons to gain new skill sets, removal of auto targeting.... it's all been done before.

As far as comparing SWTOR to GW 2, not near enough is known about GW 2 as of yet, beta or not. Too many people are basing their judgements on videos... the same people who are currently disappointed with this game judged it to be TOTALLY NEW AND AWESOME AND EVERYTHING THEY ADORE... by watching videos.

Compared to my experience with WoW, it's a lot more fun soloing. I hate internet people. They are rude, crass, demanding, and entitled. Why should I group with them? I have no problem paying 15 a month to solo play a game by rerolling if it keeps me busy up at work. As soon as I run out of stuff to do, I'll quit playing.. just as I did with WoW.

It's MUCH better than EQII. That was 7 months of my life I'll never get back. "Oh gee.. another Shadowknight killed an epic x4. Who woulda thought that was possible... 7 times today?" It was glitchy and didn't walk the thin line between themepark and sandbox well at all. The graphics were choppy, most of the quests were beyond ridiculous, and the lore seemed to have been written by a high school drop out who read Edith Wharton every day for 10 years through coke-bottle glasses and a lazy eye. EQII's mentoring system, though... BLOODY GENIUS. Lowering your effective level to run lower level content and still get benefit from it was awesome. Their "talent" system was pretty solid, too.

SWTOR kicks the crap out of SWG as far as actual content goes.. both Pre CU AND NGE. Sure, SWTOR doesn't have The Sims "LOLCONTENT" to distract gamers, but that's okay. If I wanted to play house, I'm not going to do it for 15 a month. I can do it just as well at home with my wife and children.

I actually liked Dungeons and Dragons Online, but I think that's because I first rolled THE dice 25 years ago and they did a great job on some of the aspects of that game (though I hated how they did instances.. especially the "solo" ones. Once again, though, the graphics seemed choppy to me. It may have been the computer I was using at the time, though.

vs City of Heroes? Well, as far as exploration goes (FLYING FTW), CoH wins hands down. Their character creation knows no equal, as far as I have experienced. Other than that, though... there was NO CONTENT to speak of.. .and I played 2 years after launch. It was the same missions over and over again (much like SWG) and an occasional group raid-type thing. Big whoop. The PvP was some of the worst in existence at the time as well. The only game more imbalanced I have played was pre-CU SWG. ... well, and Bards in EQ.

SWTOR is flawed. All MMOs at/near release are. It has potential. BW was upfront about the emphasis on story and questing from 1-50. I believe too many people lost sight of those claims and instead focused on all the things THEY (the players) thought the game should have.

I just got my first character to 50 yesterday after around 120 hours of playing on him. My next 50 will likewise be Republic (so there will be quests I have done before.. spacebar is your friend). After that, it will be a Sith (totally new experience)... etc.. etc..

Regardless, my standalone opinion of this game is: I like it. People who don't like it are free to voice their opinion or free to leave. Won't affect my enjoyment.

Gaming is not a way of life it is simply a form of entertainment. And in the case of computer gaming there are many titles on offer and none of the various games exclude any gamer from playing something else. I play World of Warcraft, Rift, Star Trek Online and many many games on my various consoles and still have time to play Star Wars the Old Republic. Today I will check out my chars in Rift and do a bit of crafting before playing my Smuggler which I started levelling a week ago. Then later I will play some Warcraft and then tonight play my main Jedi after a session of Final Fantasy XIII-2. I say this because I believe if you have a wider perspective of gaming you are less likely to constantly dodge between games because for some reason you believe you can only partake of one at a time. To me there is gaming and not games. And I also am not playing a game just to sustain a group of invisible friends. Having fun is way more important to me. And I always have fun.

invisible friend +1

Over the course of 6 months, 3.5 million people could purchase GW2. If that happens, the developers could then claim a year later (when only 2 million are playing the game) that they have 3.5 million players. That is the blessing with F2P models. Most P2P MMOs that adopted the F2P model have a decent spike of players.. .some of which will pay for more content through micro transactions. DDO and LotR come to mind.

GW2, due to the Free to Play model (Just have to buy the game) will appeal to a LOT of people. Current players of WoW, SWTOR, etc, can pick it up and play when they wish. GW1 was played by a lot of peeps playing Pay to Play MMOs during down times... those times between patches/expansions. GW 2 will be no different.

I have yet to see anything innovative about GW 2. Innovative compared to western MMOs, maybe... but not to video games in general. Dodging, changing weapons to gain new skill sets, removal of auto targeting.... it's all been done before.

As far as comparing SWTOR to GW 2, not near enough is known about GW 2 as of yet, beta or not. Too many people are basing their judgements on videos... the same people who are currently disappointed with this game judged it to be TOTALLY NEW AND AWESOME AND EVERYTHING THEY ADORE... by watching videos.

Compared to my experience with WoW, it's a lot more fun soloing. I hate internet people. They are rude, crass, demanding, and entitled. Why should I group with them? I have no problem paying 15 a month to solo play a game by rerolling if it keeps me busy up at work. As soon as I run out of stuff to do, I'll quit playing.. just as I did with WoW.

It's MUCH better than EQII. That was 7 months of my life I'll never get back. "Oh gee.. another Shadowknight killed an epic x4. Who woulda thought that was possible... 7 times today?" It was glitchy and didn't walk the thin line between themepark and sandbox well at all. The graphics were choppy, most of the quests were beyond ridiculous, and the lore seemed to have been written by a high school drop out who read Edith Wharton every day for 10 years through coke-bottle glasses and a lazy eye. EQII's mentoring system, though... BLOODY GENIUS. Lowering your effective level to run lower level content and still get benefit from it was awesome. Their "talent" system was pretty solid, too.

SWTOR kicks the crap out of SWG as far as actual content goes.. both Pre CU AND NGE. Sure, SWTOR doesn't have The Sims "LOLCONTENT" to distract gamers, but that's okay. If I wanted to play house, I'm not going to do it for 15 a month. I can do it just as well at home with my wife and children.

I actually liked Dungeons and Dragons Online, but I think that's because I first rolled THE dice 25 years ago and they did a great job on some of the aspects of that game (though I hated how they did instances.. especially the "solo" ones. Once again, though, the graphics seemed choppy to me. It may have been the computer I was using at the time, though.

vs City of Heroes? Well, as far as exploration goes (FLYING FTW), CoH wins hands down. Their character creation knows no equal, as far as I have experienced. Other than that, though... there was NO CONTENT to speak of.. .and I played 2 years after launch. It was the same missions over and over again (much like SWG) and an occasional group raid-type thing. Big whoop. The PvP was some of the worst in existence at the time as well. The only game more imbalanced I have played was pre-CU SWG. ... well, and Bards in EQ.

SWTOR is flawed. All MMOs at/near release are. It has potential. BW was upfront about the emphasis on story and questing from 1-50. I believe too many people lost sight of those claims and instead focused on all the things THEY (the players) thought the game should have.

I just got my first character to 50 yesterday after around 120 hours of playing on him. My next 50 will likewise be Republic (so there will be quests I have done before.. spacebar is your friend). After that, it will be a Sith (totally new experience)... etc.. etc..

Regardless, my standalone opinion of this game is: I like it. People who don't like it are free to voice their opinion or free to leave. Won't affect my enjoyment.

That's pretty explanatory - thank you for the info - more people need to speak up like this

Edited by vanisle

So I kept hearing people tear up SW:TOR and say that there are some new titles inc which are going to shut it down. I took a look at some of the videos of one those games - GW2 - and I was unimpressed.

Also, in the case of D2 I do not see how a predominantly single player game (I do not consider battlenet Diablo an MMO) can really compare either. Sure it's probably a great game if they ever release it but it's not of this caliber tbh.

Now in the case of WoW, that game has some serious background behind it. Like it has been spit polished to a shine. But the chrome is old otherwise alot of us wouldn't be here.

But being so fresh I can see SW:TOR has its short comings to be ironed out and tbh I find some issues frustrating but maybe this game has survivability. I just personally am not feeling it due to some personal opinions, but whatever.

How do you guys compare it against X

Swtor will survive. It doesn't offer me what I want for a long term game but I liked the journey to 50. No game will kill it. Enough people like it for it to carry on.

If X is GW2 then I would say that X has a chance of becoming a long term game for me. Why? Well it is built with Realm vs Realm at its core and that is something I will appreciate. Sure it will have its failings, bugs and balance issues but I cant bring myself to fight in Ilum again. Star Wars wasnt built with Faction Vs Faction as a key feature so I will go to a game that claims it is.

There are many things that Star Wars does well. It will carry on doing them well and I am glad I bought the game to experience them for a while.

Swtor will survive. It doesn't offer me what I want for a long term game but I liked the journey to 50. No game will kill it. Enough people like it for it to carry on.

If X is GW2 then I would say that X has a chance of becoming a long term game for me. Why? Well it is built with Realm vs Realm at its core and that is something I will appreciate. Sure it will have its failings, bugs and balance issues but I cant bring myself to fight in Ilum again. Star Wars wasnt built with Faction Vs Faction as a key feature so I will go to a game that claims it is.

There are many things that Star Wars does well. It will carry on doing them well and I am glad I bought the game to experience them for a while.

Now realm vs realm...hmmm...I likey

So will GW2 have one massive server? I'm noob on it's schematics. I love the idea of EVE how it's one massive game - now that's in true MMO style

I think this game would of been 100 times better if they had somehow managed to do that with this - I personally would of loved crowded spaces, etc. It's an MMO, it's a community. That would of been awesome and eventually we would all span out. But cities would look populated with real people, not just copy paste pretend crowds.

Obviously some kill tasks would need to be revamped to accomodate but all in all it would of been an amazing experience - kill tasks sort of suck anyhow. Instead we are served watered down mega multi server applications where there isn't alot of actual people in any given zone imo.

Past that the ability to transfer characters, even pay a small fee - c'mon. I think at this point I would transfer to the most populated server as I'm on a medium and I don't find it enough 4 my tastes - it's an MMO!

Brings nothing new to the genre, still the same tank+heal+dps trio with a single boss.

It's just the same as WoW with the new feature , story with the Star Wars lore behind.

I feel the same way, anything they changed is extremely minor, like crew skills.

Also, in the case of D2 I do not see how a predominantly single player game (I do not consider battlenet Diablo an MMO) can really compare either. Sure it's probably a great game if they ever release it but it's not of this caliber tbh.

X

Its not even a game of same genre, same as comparing modern warfare to ToR. It wont kill WoW, it wont kill ToR. It will sell lot more than ToR though, which doesnt really matter since ToR aint competing with it. And im talking ofc about Diablo 3, you are talking about diablo 2 which is out there already and sold double of what TOR has sold, triple with the Xpack.

Greetings,

We understand that it is natural to make comparisons to other games, but since this thread seems to be more about game "X" than about Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, we are closing it.

Thank you for your cooperation!