The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

To put it gently, I agree with these guys..

Loupe

Get a grip? The blogger complains about gear treadmills! I literally facepalmed at that. Welcome to every MMO that has come out in the last 10 years whinning blogger dude.

People are tired of gear treadmills. Sorry if that little fact is new to you but it's part of the reason why people are becoming tired of the same MMO formula again and again. He's allowed to have that opinion.

Edited by Esaru

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do love people that rely on articles they didn't write... wait, actually... this logic is perfect. So, if I write an article, put it online that states my following opinions;

• WoW was cartoonish and boring to me, so it sucks.
  • LOTRO couldn't hold my attention for longer than a week, so it sucks.
  • Tribes 1 was the best FPS ever made, because I said so.

It's -CLEARLY- true. Because I'm a gamer.... and I wrote it, then put it on my website...

I CAN CHANGE THE FACE OF GAMING AS WE KNOW IT! 0.0

Edited by uidLucid

http://www.keenandgraev.com/2012/02/14/copy-gold-leader-out/

I haven't been keeping up closely with these guys. But Keen is uncannily right in his perceptions a vast majority of the time. Besides his assessments, in addition I can not tolerate the bugs and poor design elements which just make you wonder about the designers professionalism, if not their talent. Also the general game management structure and failure of proper public relations and in game support.

It was great while it lasted and save something biblical in effect to change how the game plays and feels, I do not see this title lasting. I'll hang out a while longer, probably go back to an older title like DDO.. I'm sure they've added content by now..

Who are these guys? They are as irrelevant and worthless as this opinion is to me. I could careless what some random nobodies think about this game.

Clearly you didn't even read the article. All the points he makes are valid, completely level-headed and fair. Then again it's typical from someone like you to shove anyone who criticizes this game into your cute little catagory there because you just aren't intelligent enough to know the difference.

I have no idea why you feel so hostile about what I wrote; it's true. It was clearly shown recently with the Jennifer Hepler insanity. SWTOR is no worse than any other MMO out there, and far far better than most. And yet, all the complaints tend to boil down to "In WoW, you..." or "WoW does this instead of...".

As I said; your average game nowadays is immature, generally disrespectful, and doesn;t have a clue of what he or she wants out of their games. All they know how to do is complain. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with SWTOR; it has to do with this exact, same pattern playing out on the message boards of every single solitary MMO released in the last, say, 5 years. I've played them all. All. Every last AAA MMO released in the last 10 years, even WoW (for about 34 levels before I gave up out of, yes, boredom).

This cycle has played out on the message baords for every one of those games, but it has really ramped up in the last 4-5 years.

I really do love people that rely on articles they didn't write... wait, actually... this logic is perfect. So, if I write an article, put it online that states my following opinions;

It's -CLEARLY- true. Because I'm a gamer.... and I wrote it, then put it on my website...

Holy crap! I believe everyword you say! I must now change all my opinions to yours!

lol you people are truly unbelievable. because someone doesn't enjoy playing the game anymore, they're immature, entitled spoiled brats? are you actually serious here?

get a grip

No, it's because they continually gripe about the game instead of letting it go. Don't like the game? Don't play. Walk away. It's a pretty simple concept.

No, it's because they continually gripe about the game instead of letting it go. Don't like the game? Don't play. Walk away. It's a pretty simple concept.

Writing one article is continually griping about the game? No one is allowed to express their discontent? We're just supposed to stop playing with no feedback? Raising concerns about this game makes us 'immature and spoiled'?

Not a very interesting read for a few reasons.

The biggest concern about the playerbase of mmo's I have is their focus on a lack of community. In this article they mention there is little interaction on a server-level. I can only assume he is comparing this to WoW where anytime you are in a major city the trade channel is constantly spammed with references to r*pe, pedophiles, anal jokes, mom jokes etc. etc..

Back in nov-dec I was leveling my Druid in WoW up to 85. I only ever saw people when I was in stormwind(rarely saw people in Darnassus and i just never had a reason to go to IF) When Cata first came out I saw plenty of people in the cata zones. This time around - I was regularly 1 of maybe 5 or 6 total people in each zone when I played through them. The chat channels were silent and I never ran into any of those people.

Now - I rarely have an issue getting people to run heroics right now between my guild and just asking on the general chat(Pere Trade Routes). As for this stuff about community - For some reason there are people like those who made this article who have this fantastical vision of what they experienced in previous mmo's - most of which is just not true. Anyone who realistically recall Barrens Chat would NEVER confuse that with a "community" that should be emulated.

A large number of people pre-lfd never grouped - let alone grouped with non-guild members. Pugs were the bane of peoples existence and drove many to just NOT do dungeons.

Anyway - I'm having a great time in swtor. I've never been that into Star Wars but this game has been much more fun to play than WoW has been the last couple years.

Get a grip? The blogger complains about gear treadmills! I literally facepalmed at that. Welcome to every MMO that has come out in the last 10 years whinning blogger dude.

He's dispensing a reality game companies will eventually find out for themselves the hard way if they cannot adapt or be original. The gear carrot can no longer sustain a large subscriber base by itself anymore.

I must just add that this blog is not new at all, they have sort of piled on a lot of MMO's for some years. Even if some or most of them might have been somewhat valid the main point always seems to lean against its not like that other game.

I stumbled at it if was AoC or Lotro (cant remember) and even if AoC was a pile of bugs they always seemed very biased towards what they really like.

Dont take me wrong, I dont nag at them because they might have a different opinion then me swtor, its just goes along the same line as all their other MMO blogs, its a theme for them.

Edited by illiam

Well this one is just a fact of life.

It's called a blog and he wrote ONE article why he chose not to continue playing SWTOR and he did so from his own BLOG.

To put it gently, I didn't bother reading their opinions as I am capable of forming my own. ;)

This^.

Besides, I wouldn't be suprised if half the accounts on here regurgitating the exact same comlpaints day in, day out and ignoring whatever the developers are saying about what's coming, what's being fixed, what being added, etc....even ignoring that the developers are saying it at all and pretending there's no communication...I wouldn't be suprised if it's the asme few people with multiple accounts each. The writing syles fall into a pattern, the verbiage is the same, etc. Either that or they're all just unfortunate gullible victims of group-think (or group-non-think as the case may be).

Edited by Blotter

all the complaints tend to boil down to "In WoW, you..." or "WoW does this instead of...".

Funny, because when people post constructive threads about the issues in SWTOR & lack of features, those threads are followed by "WoW at launch didn't have this or that"

It works both ways.

Edited by SnakeBites

I should also point out that the bloggers' main problem with SWTOR is fairly obvious; it's not World of Warcraft. On several occasions, they bemoan SWTOR in direct comparison to WoW, but they never compare SWTOR to any other MMO (except once compparing it, negatively, to Warhammer Online and DCUO).

Anyone whose first MMO was WoW is going to feel this way about any game released. In fact, since WoW hit the market, can anyone here name one single MMO which has "made it"? No? That's because you have 12+ million MMO newbies who got into the genre with WoW and who have no other real point of reference. Every MMO they play gets compared to their first love, and fails, be it AION, WAR, DCUO, STO, Champions Online, DDO (until it went F2P), EQ2, Auto Assault...*all...of...them*.

It isn't that WoW is such an awesome game, because it's just not. It's a simplified MMO-with-training-wheels which took the genre's best (Everquest, Asheron's Call and DAOC) and made it accessible to the masses with simplified graphics and gameplay.

it's just that all these millions of ex-WoWers want all MMOs to be WoW 2.0, and nothing else at all will satisfy them.

Yeah, I can't really understand that phenomenon at all. The funny thing is that game designers look at WoW and think, "Ok, so we have to make our game easy if we want to attract a large audience."...then ex-WoW players complain that the new games are too easy and there's no connection. There's a disconnect somewhere there, but I have no idea if it's the root issue.

Clearly you didn't even read the article. All the points he makes are valid, completely level-headed and fair. Then again it's typical from someone like you to shove anyone who criticizes this game into your cute little catagory there because you just aren't intelligent enough to know the difference.

this is just a matter of opinion. What is fair is relative to different people along with what is valid. Let's say that PvP is removed from the game completely. Sounds pretty unfair I bet to people who like to PvP. Since I think PvP usually detracts from the game and draws in a type of player who I'd rather not associate with....sounds good to me!

Not to mention the "problems" the blog posters have are problems other people don't have. shrug.

Of course there is, but the fanboys and Biodrones will yell and scream and point fingers and tell you otherwise (see this thread).

You're pretty much proving my point for me. Your saying that anyone who says the game's all right and fun to play has to be a "fanboy" or "Biodrone" (two obviously disparaging labels). Why? Different people like different things. Are you saying that SWTOR is so incredibly bland, boring, buggy, and shoddy that anyone claiming to enjoy it is somehow stupid or blind? Are you saying that since you believe it is, everyone else has to as well? That's rather immature and self-important, if you ask me.

I'm ok with people not liking the game, just like I'm ok with people liking it. I'm just not ok with extremists at either end of the spectrum.

Writing one article is continually griping about the game? No one is allowed to express their discontent? We're just supposed to stop playing with no feedback? Raising concerns about this game makes us 'immature and spoiled'?

you've missed the point. you want to express your opinion, let bioware how unhappy you are? that's fine. It's the haters who ***** and moan everyday I was talking about.

And you realize it's usually the unhappy customer, be it a game, a car or food at a resturant, who voices an opinion. Those who are happy with a product rarely say anything. More often than not they out number the unhappy customer.

Ranting like a little baby on a blog is now considered valuable feedback? Pass me whatever you're smoking pal.