Who uses Master Strike?

ratfanatic

I'm a combat knight and I have to say Master Strike feels very awkward in any kind of rotation. It just feels like it breaks up the flow and doesn't really fit anywhere. I'm trying to fit it in as a finishing move but it's just such a slow action. Am I even supposed to be using this ability?

I'm a combat knight and I have to say Master Strike feels very awkward in any kind of rotation. It just feels like it breaks up the flow and doesn't really fit anywhere. I'm trying to fit it in as a finishing move but it's just such a slow action. Am I even supposed to be using this ability?

Yes, it's just very situational. Use it when your rage spenders are on cooldown.

I use it when Zealous Strike is on CD and I'm low on focus. It deals good free damage and generally ZS is ready to use by the time Master Strike is done channeling. I'd rather use MS than spam Strike, which always seems inefficient to me. The only caveat is when the target is almost dead and a single Strike will finish him off. Strike (kill) and move to next enemy, using Zealous if it's ready or Master if it's not.

I am a watchman specced Sentinel and I use this all the time in PVP. When you have no abilities up, put your slow on the target and use master strike. A lot of the times the target does not get out of range before the 3 seconds is up. It also does pretty good damage.

I use it vs ppl that want to stand still but most ppl are smarter than that it seems and some will move when they see the animation/cast bar going and I miss the last hit for range. Irritating.

I switched to watchman yesterday out of focus spec and I have been using it even less so far.

I like to stay on top of my target. So i will sometimes even use strike over it if im trying to stay right on a guys a**. But ya if some fool is going to stand there for a couple seconds i will use it for the first 2 tics and then depending on how much focus i have or what CDs im waiting for i might let it finish the 3rd hit. But the 3rd one takes forever...the first 2 are pretty quick.

I'll use it when I pvp when my target is rooted/stunned and cannot just walk away from it. I make sure to pop my crit relic also so that when I hit that sucker it'll finish him.

I'll also pop that **** when you can see someone not moving, just standing in 1 place like a noob. It give syou a moment to get all your focus builders back up, and it hits super hard.

In PvE I'll use it on bosses and what not when I have my zen dots up and it packs a huge punch.

I'll also pop that **** when you can see someone not moving, just standing in 1 place like a noob. It give syou a moment to get all your focus builders back up, and it hits super hard.

My attack of choice on commandos or mercenaries spamming grav/tracer rounds, if only to assure them that they're not the only ones who can spit out bit numbers.

Edited by piethief

Several situations it's useful.

On someone that's CC'd or otherwise not concentrating on you.

On an idiot thats attempting to stay still and stand toe to toe with you.

To force someone thats spamming some skill to move, or get hit by the pain train.

I use the first two hits usually then break it to move into something else. It's decent burst when controlled, the animation is just far too long to use all the way through 99% of the time.

My favorite move with it is when everything is ticking on a target and i just merciless'd into 3-4 focus, ill use the first two hits to try and push them under 20% and kill with dispatch. Looks slick and is pretty effective. Situational though.

the two hits occur SO quickly compared to the third -_-

p.s. does anyone else love it when you fight a warrior and they try to Ravage you? i mean, cmon guy lol

Edited by ShiroRX

I use the first two hits usually then break it to move into something else. It's decent burst when controlled, the animation is just far too long to use all the way through 99% of the time.

My favorite move with it is when everything is ticking on a target and i just merciless'd into 3-4 focus, ill use the first two hits to try and push them under 20% and kill with dispatch. Looks slick and is pretty effective. Situational though.

the two hits occur SO quickly compared to the third -_-

p.s. does anyone else love it when you fight a warrior and they try to Ravage you? i mean, cmon guy lol

Just remember the third hit can crit very hard. Running a combat spec currently and after precision slash I have seen the third hit crit over 3.8K. That will usually get the target's attention.

As Combat Spec this is a bread and butter ability for PVE.

Precision Slash > Master Strike > Blade Storm is a wall of *** whooping.

0.0s Precision Slash

1.5s Master Strike

4.5s Blade Storm

By chasing Precision with Master, you leave yourself a whole GCD to fire off Blade Storm with 100% penetration, and practically a guaranteed autocrit, and extra Ataru procs.

Your core 5 abilities are Zealous Strike, Precision Slash, Master Strike, Blade Storm, and Blade Rush; plus Strike when nothing else is available.

Just remember the third hit can crit very hard. Running a combat spec currently and after precision slash I have seen the third hit crit over 3.8K. That will usually get the target's attention.

Yea I don't have to bother with the last hit as Watchman lol. It's not rooting so the free damage is only free as long as it doesn't impact my distant to target ;P

As Combat Spec this is a bread and butter ability for PVE.

Precision Slash > Master Strike > Blade Storm is a wall of *** whooping.

0.0s Precision Slash

1.5s Master Strike

4.5s Blade Storm

By chasing Precision with Master, you leave yourself a whole GCD to fire off Blade Storm with 100% penetration, and practically a guaranteed autocrit, and extra Ataru procs.

Your core 5 abilities are Zealous Strike, Precision Slash, Master Strike, Blade Storm, and Blade Rush; plus Strike when nothing else is available.

That's pretty much it, and incidentally I do not currently have the root on master strike talented as I have been trying out the increased crit rate on slash instead (I've been testing whether or not rotating slash into my Zen cycles beats blade rush spam, and I'm still not sure). I usually use it immediately after a crippling throw root though, or immediately after snaring the target. Either way, they rarely get far enough away to avoid the last hit of the channel.

I actually tend to use Master Strike as my main burst skill and it works insanely well! I am combat spec and we get this epic skill that causes enemies to be immobilized for the duration of MS. This skill makes MS one of the most versatile attacks that a Sentinel can have.

I use MS in my opening combo almost as a staple. Force Leap>Precision Slash>Master Strike (around now is when a squishy enemy such as a healer would try moving away but cant because of the immobilize)>Zealous Strike>Blade Storm. With full armour pen plus high crits I can easily score up to 5-6k damage with this opening combo (with added Ataru strikes thrown in as well.

Also, as the skill has a 4 meter range (which is actually decently far) you can easily use it on an escaping enemy and get epic damage on them while they just stand in place. The beauty about the skill is it ALWAYS takes people off guard. In 60-70% of cases that I use it in, enemies are left dumstruck as to why they cannot move and just end up staring at a wall for 4 seconds, only to move after the channel finishes.

To be honest I am the only person I have ever seen using MS as much as I do, but I think that is a great thing. Keeps the enemies on their toes and makes it so a counter will never really be developed.

Anyways, in short, if used properly MS = One of the best moves ever

I'm playing a level 40 pure Watchman spec and I use Master Strike all the time. It does enough damage to one-shot a regular mob (approximately). It would take at least as many seconds as Master Strike would animate, worth of less damagey skills, to do the same thing. I'm completely unclear as to why I'd want to do, say, Strike, Slash, Slash, Slash... rather than just Master Strike.

As an added bonus, Master Strike has my absolute favorite animation in the game. I can't get enough of watching it. So even if it did 10% of the damage it actually does, I'd still use it for the pretty animations.

when im combat i ususaly use it after i use my crippling throw so they cant move. or when they are slowed down

(in pve crippling throw + opp strike works great)

master strike is usually one of those things u have to watch for. if someone on ur team stuns another target thats when u should do it. the last hit from master is beast.

I have a friend who is a Combat sentinel and he uses Master Strike all the time. It roots properly now. However, even as a guardian I still have the issue where the master strike animation will happen but the ability won't actually be working. It's not that common but when it does happen it's REALLY annoying.

I have just started using master strike as a Guardian and I will say I don't know what I did without it. I actually use it as an opener immediately after I force leap because my opponent will be rooted so I will more often than not get the entire attack done. Which hits for massive damage and costs no focus. Once you really find a place for it in your own personal play style you'll feel crazy for not having used it before. At least that's how I feel.