Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I'd argue it also clarifies that stating your preferences is a fairly harmless (ie. non-confrontational and non-contentious) thing, too - if a prostitute is happy to clarify her preferences in a clear and precise manner to an armed and armoured Sith Warrior without fear of horrible painful Force-related death then it must be a reasonably innocuous matter.

Not quite the same thing but something along those lines... There seem to be several points throughout the stories where either NPCs or companions react to either your PC or other NPCs/Companions in such a way as to almost make it sound like the SGRA option IS there and just... hidden.

Case in point, Risha the other day told me she couldn't imagine a future without my smuggler in it which, while something you -might- say to a best friend (and I have done so irl), I don't generally say it in quite the tone she used which hinted at a bit more than just "hey we're best buds stealing money from people!"

So either people in the galaxy are -really- comfortable with their sexuality (always possible and certainly a good thing) or a lot less dialogue actually got shunted to the side in the difference between a companion talking to an opposite gender NPC and a same gender one. (I think this sentence made sense... someone smack me if it didn't, brain is fried)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite the same thing but something along those lines... There seem to be several points throughout the stories where either NPCs or companions react to either your PC or other NPCs/Companions in such a way as to almost make it sound like the SGRA option IS there and just... hidden.

Case in point, Risha the other day told me she couldn't imagine a future without my smuggler in it which, while something you -might- say to a best friend (and I have done so irl), I don't generally say it in quite the tone she used which hinted at a bit more than just "hey we're best buds stealing money from people!"

So either people in the galaxy are -really- comfortable with their sexuality (always possible and certainly a good thing) or a lot less dialogue actually got shunted to the side in the difference between a companion talking to an opposite gender NPC and a same gender one. (I think this sentence made sense... someone smack me if it didn't, brain is fried)

No, I get what you're saying, and I agree; I levelled a male sith warrior partially before my female one, and the dialogue on Quinn's side towards them is literally exactly the same. Only difference is my female could respond overtly to his unintentionally suggestive remarks. And of course, there's his "I am yours" towards either warrior late in the class quest.

I don't think the work involved in gaying up all the companions would actually be that much, largely because of this; much of the dialogue's already being used over both genders, it's just our own character's advances and responses that are (presumably) missing at present.

Actual implementation question/fishing for opinions:

Most of the love interests in the game are human. Male player characters have some non-human LIs but for female player characters it's mostly human, a kitten and a bug person.

Making these available for SGRAs aside, would it make a difference to you if a majority of the new companions specifically for SGRAs (even, perhaps, exclusively gay) were non-human?

No, I get what you're saying, and I agree; I levelled a male sith warrior partially before my female one, and the dialogue on Quinn's side towards them is literally exactly the same. Only difference is my female could respond overtly to his unintentionally suggestive remarks. And of course, there's his "I am yours" towards either warrior late in the class quest.

I don't think the work involved in gaying up all the companions would actually be that much, largely because of this; much of the dialogue's already being used over both genders, it's just our own character's advances and responses that are (presumably) missing at present.

Agreed. And honestly, some of the responses you can give as same gender sound like they'd be something you'd also say as opposite gender as a flirt, only there's not [flirt] tag attached to it in the code if you're same gender so it doesn't activate certain cutscenes. I really am tempted to lvl a male JK and Smuggler (and I totally will on the smuggler, need me my Han Solo character) and see just how different the interactions really are.

Most of the love interests in the game are human. Male player characters have some non-human LIs but for female player characters it's mostly human, a kitten and a bug person.

Making these available for SGRAs aside, would it make a difference to you if a majority of the new companions specifically for SGRAs (even, perhaps, exclusively gay) were non-human?

I wouldn't mind more non-human romance options personally. Would it make a difference in the sense of making it more or less appealing? Not really for me.

Actually, at the risk of getting another warning: I think that's just a good example of confirmation bias.

They probably just found that the branch in the conversation allowed them to "kind of get away with" using the same dialog for both. Clearly its a good starting point if they wish to go back and retrospectively add SGRAs.

(that's on topic, right??)

It wouldn't bother me in itself, I don't think, not until some of the more problematic implications were specifically pointed out. I'd just think it was weird, that the options were biased in such a manner.

My characters romancing aliens in general isn't a problem for me; my ME canon run has Shepard with Garrus, and my secondary run has Liara. Love isn't about what physical parts you have, and you can still have a happy, fulfilling relationship with someone even if the sex part doesn't work out for you.

There is a good chance the mods will remove your post again and anyone who replies, mostly because this is still off-topic. If you want to suggest a toggle for all romance content, there was once a thread for it in the Suggestion Box that you could find or make your own - not the SGR toggle thread, one for all romance. I would, however, caution you - at the time, I believe the idea was not particularly popular.

And depending on the hows of implementation, you may indeed see the flirt prompt more often. Or you may not. How this will all happen is something this thread is hoping to get an answer for.

(As for who, when and where, well, actually most of those questions have been discussed. It's all over this thread and the two maxed ones before that.)

I would ask, however, that you don't belittle the concerns of others. Romance may not be of interest to you, you may even find it unpleasant, but many people already enjoy the romance content of this game and calling it "crap" is not really a good way to start a civil discussion.

Well I apologize that I missed that thread. But as far as I can tell, my post was indeed on topic. SGR is a form of romance, so perhaps the romance toggle is an appropriate solution.

Are you saying SGR is not a form of romance? Either way, please do not directly attack me because you're unhappy about what I say. An idea, is one thing, to say I'm belittling the concerns of others, is in fact belittling my concern of something.

All I want to figure out, since they have in fact told us this system will be implemented, is how to do that. I don't appreciate this, but I am willing to discuss it. I find homosexuality to be as pertainent as the heterosexual content.

Depends on the non-human. Hutts, no thanks. Voss I can see. I'm guessing all romanceable companions will be restricted to humans and near-humans just for ease's sake.

"Non-human" covers a lot of territory. Mirialan, Twi'lek, Rattataki, Chiss, Sith Pureblood and other near-humans are no problem. Wookiees... well, maybe. If he's cute. Hutts are right out. ;)

They probably just found that the branch in the conversation allowed them to "kind of get away with" using the same dialog for both. Clearly its a good starting point if they wish to go back and retrospectively add SGRAs.

That's actually one of the primary things that makes me think that SGRAs will be integrated for existing companions, yes.

Actually, at the risk of getting another warning: I think that's just a good example of confirmation bias.

(that's on topic, right??)

Uh. I think we're making the exact same point, actually. I'm not saying they intentionally wrote and left the dialogue because they meant all the companions to be herosexual all along (though I actually would argue that there's a fair chance Quinn at least was written to be open to the advances of either gender, not to mention Kaliyo), I'm just saying there's a lot of dialogue overlap, and it'd be pretty simple to just... turn the SGRAs on, as it were, at least in the initial flirty stages.

Near-Human ? Sure. Bring on the Twi'leks, Zabraks, Chiss (or if we're talking outside of existing playable races, maybe a Zeltron or Falleen). Humanoid ? Ehh... maybe not so much. I wouldn't get hot and bothered checking out a Wookiee or an Ithorian. Not that it matters much, we ladies don't even get a shot at Gault, so I doubt they'd heap in the non-pretty races as romance options.

Near-Human ? Sure. Bring on the Twi'leks, Zabraks, Chiss (or if we're talking outside of existing playable races, maybe a Zeltron or Falleen). .

ooh yes, Zeltron, Falleen ( or having both, talk about overload) Pantoran, ghostling ( careful she breaks easy) so many near humans to pick from.

Since there are fewer non human options in your party in general right now I'd welcome most of the new companions being some type of near human alien.

Chiss companions! My agent and BH would both be quite happy to have a lovely fellow chiss to romance.

Tsk, Ulu, I had no idea you were so shallow. :D

Hutts need good lovin' too!

Heck, some of them, well...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ziro_Desilijic_Tiure

Oh, goodness! Please do not bring Ziro into this! I recall at the time of the cinematic release the flap over that character's portrayal as being a bad gay stereotype because Ziro was voiced to sound like Truman Capote.

I pointed out at the time that Ziro was a.) hermaphroditic (as are all Hutts) and b.) had no apparent sexual orientation at all. And if anyone had perpetuated a bad gay stereotype, it had been Truman Capote.

But no - everyone has their own tastes. I may go as far as Bow-Chicka-Chicka-Bow-Bowdaar in a whimsical mood, but Hutts just aren't my thing. ;)

It wouldn't bother me in itself, I don't think, not until some of the more problematic implications were specifically pointed out. I'd just think it was weird, that the options were biased in such a manner.

Heh, yes, the problematic implications were what I was stealthily getting at. If this kind of distinction were made, even by accident, I would certainly side-eye it a bit.

Unfortunate implications of The Other aside, however, I'm all for some more non-human romances for everyone. Most important to me are the personalities of the characters, their stories, and a different species can make everything a lot more interesting. Personally, I'd be on board with just about any species if the story is written well and they are on a similar intellectual level as the near-human/human player character.

At first I'd wanted to say "No Hutts" but then I thought, well, you've met some pretty cool Hutts, and a great writer could probably convince me.

Oh, goodness! Please do not bring Ziro into this! I recall at the time of the cinematic release the flap over that character's portrayal as being a bad gay stereotype because Ziro was voiced to sound like Truman Capote.

I pointed out at the time that Ziro was a.) hermaphroditic (as are all Hutts) and b.) had no apparent sexual orientation at all. And if anyone had perpetuated a bad gay stereotype, it had been Truman Capote.

But no - everyone has their own tastes. I may go as far as Bow-Chicka-Chicka-Bow-Bowdaar in a whimsical mood, but Hutts just aren't my thing. ;)

Are Hutts anyones thing lol I would go w/out if that was my only option...or defect hehe

So wait, they announced same gender, or trans-species?

Big difference on implementation

lol

it's just another topic to try and settle things down and keep us from going in circles again and again...

I personally wouldn't mind most species, as long as it's done well... I think even a hutt wouldn't be completely impossible, just mostly lol

it's just another topic to try and settle things down and keep us from going in circles again and again...

I personally wouldn't mind most species, as long as it's done well... I think even a hutt wouldn't be completely impossible, just mostly lol

If they allow that, they'd best let me have my torrid affair with Blizz! :jawa_biggrin: