Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

This game is TWO MONTHS old.

Citywok

I take from your reply that everything he said about you is correct. In that you dont have a level50 yet etc.

So you come back with insults and nothing to do with what he said.

ofc he hasnt....

sheep are pletiful for BW

just about enough to recoup their expences.

Anyway, to win an argument against a fool is no victory at all m8..so just leave him be

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right now you can see everybody on the server thats flagged for lfg by pressing 4 keys, saying thats too much work is you just being lazy.

I WILL TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE YOUR BRAIN IS NOT PROCESSING THIS FACT: DOING THAT WILL NOT HELP YOU FIND A GROUP BECAUSE 2/140 ON THE IMPERIAL FLEET ACTUALLY USE THE LFG SYSTEM. I USED IT IN THE PAST AND QUIT BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HELP ME FIND GROUPS. I STOPPED USING IT ON NAR SHADDA BECAUSE IT DIDN'T WORK ON BALMORRA OR DROMUND KAAS, AND IT SURE AS HELL DOESN'T WORK ON THE FLEET.

PEOPLE AREN'T USING IT BECAUSE AT ITS HEART IT'S NO DIFFERENT THAN SPAMMING GENERAL CHAT, THEREFORE GET US A SYSTEM THAT WILL BE USED THANK YOU.

Which is also the reason why people are demanding the instaqueue feature that wow spoiled everybody with. It takes 0 effort, and thats all anybody cares about nowadays is getting things done as fast as humanly(or in this case, computerly) possible.

They made the game just like WoW: repetitive stuff at end-game. Yet we didn't get the tools to shorten the most tedious aspects of endgame like LFG tool for dailies. Those functions help us get through the worst aspects of end-game (dailies) to focus on the stuff we enjoy (PVP)

We don't have that LFG tool right now and people want to get through it as fast as possible. THE LFG TOOL DOESN'T DETERMINE HOW FAST WE WANT TO RUSH IT, IT'S DETERMINED BY THE FACT THAT WE'VE RUN BLACK TALON 5023 TIMES AND ARE BORED WITH IT BUT NEED THE CRYSTALS.

Hopefully that worked :)

Edited by kristoffbrujah

I WILL TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE YOUR BRAIN IS NOT PROCESSING THIS FACT: DOING THAT WILL NOT HELP YOU FIND A GROUP BECAUSE 2/140 ON THE IMPERIAL FLEET ACTUALLY USE THE LFG SYSTEM. I USED IT IN THE PAST AND QUIT BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HELP ME FIND GROUPS. I STOPPED USING IT ON NAR SHADDA BECAUSE IT DIDN'T WORK ON BALMORRA OR DROMUND KAAS, AND IT SURE AS HELL DOESN'T WORK ON THE FLEET.

PEOPLE AREN'T USING IT, THEREFORE GET US A SYSTEM THAT WILL BE USED THANK YOU.

Maybe you arent understanding what im saying? I admitted that MOST people dont use this system.

My previous post however was to correct your mistaken assumption that if you are on one world you CANNOT see people on another with lfg.

Sit on fleet and hit these four keys in the exact order i say and you CAN see EVERYBODY on the server in your faction that is using lfg, regardless of what zone they are in.

O(or whatever button is social pane for you)

LFG(in the serach window)

Thats FOUR buttons and you can see EVERYBODY that uses the system...

in my humble opinion, everyone that has maxed swtor KNOWS what this game is about.

Its obvious that coming on forums to let people know of our experiences is a waste of time.

Not least because those that are still lvling are still enjoyingby FAR the best aspect of the game (in-fact, the only good thing about the game)

Add this o the fact that BW either dont give a rats ***, or are just way in over their heads ( i believe the latter)

Agree or not, belive that the lvling is fantastic or not, pvp is great or not, community is solid or not, heavily (if not absoulutely) instanced game is good or not.

Bottom line, you will get where we have gotten, and you will see it for yourselves.

And if at that stage you cannot see how bad it is?

well...i've seen a bunch of people happily pay $15 a month to be ripped off.

CONGRATS!!

Swtor has added some very unique stuff to their game mechanics.

Like? Companions? Which are useless after L50? What else?

Actually, the entire companion system and the "innovative" crafting system isn't unique at all. It has was done already years ago by a game called Grand Phantasia. What we have is nothing more than a prettied up version of that system with a few tweeks to make it fit into the Star Wars setting.

Maybe you arent understanding what im saying? I admitted that MOST people dont use this system.

My previous post however was to correct your mistaken assumption that if you are on one world you CANNOT see people on another with lfg.

Sit on fleet and hit these four keys in the exact order i say and you CAN see EVERYBODY on the server in your faction that is using lfg, regardless of what zone they are in.

O(or whatever button is social pane for you)

LFG(in the serach window)

Thats FOUR buttons and you can see EVERYBODY that uses the system...

Yes the 4 people who do. Okay, now let's see... anyone running BT HM? Nope okay. What about Boarding Party HM? Nope. D7? Nope. Because there are only a few people using it.

Oh look the people who ARE running those are spamming general chat. And if we only had a cross-server LFG tool, I wouldn't have to camp on the fleet and spam, I could go to various worlds and do stuff I want to do. Why do I have to camp on the fleet and spam? Oh that's right, people don't use the ancient LFG "tool" we have already. So I say, let's get one that works, and let's get it cross-server so if only 3 people on my server want to run BT HM I can actually get the run in.

Everyone knows the ******* key commands to get in LFG, that's not even funny or insightful.

Edited by kristoffbrujah

Actually, the entire companion system and the "innovative" crafting system isn't unique at all. It has was done already years ago by a game called Grand Phantasia. What we have is nothing more than a prettied up version of that system with a few tweeks to make it fit into the Star Wars setting.

And unfortunately the "innovative" crafting system is total **** for us dedicated crafters.

I'll say it again. My original post is quoted on page 45 with a really poor response.

If you want to compare games. Compare kings. Look at history.

Compare EQ to WoW. EQ was king until WoW. Now WoW is king. Do you think WoW would be as successful if it copied EQ and didn't add any new features on launch? No. EQ had plenty of time to evolve from 1999-2004, but it didn't. It started losing subscribers after Shadows of Luclin because a lot of people didn't like the direction the game was going. WoW on the other hand evolved (even between expansions in major content updates) and gained subscribers with the changes they made. Nobody compared Vanilla WoW to 1999 EverQuest because WoW was it's own game! The only common ground between the two was that they are in the same genre.

What did WoW do right? They listened. Even going as far as employing some top EQ players. WoW took what they wanted from EQ (very little, and completely transparent to the majority of players), and added their own features. It didn't matter that they literally had servers MELT (yes I vaguely recall a server melting) on launch because of the sheer number of subscribers. People were foaming at the mouth to play. It was new, exciting, and groundbreaking. Some of the bigger differences being the questing system, instanced raids, lenient death penalty, and solo content. EQ, on the other hand, just plopped you down after character creation to figure things out on your own. There was no hand holding. Solo content? ha. 90% of the classes couldn't solo a mob their own level let alone a mob 3-4 levels higher. Death penalty... ask any EQ player, they all have a CR (corpse run) horror story. Have you seen my corpse? (search that on youtube). Combat system? lol

So, now you have people comparing SWTOR to WoW. Why? You can't help comparing SWTOR to WoW because it is a WoW CLONE. Seriously, if you want to argue that SWTOR is not a WoW clone then sit down and make your own list of the SIMILARITES and DIFFERENCES between SWTOR and WOW. Your list of similarities is going to be exponentially larger than any differences. Don't cite any difference in IP because that is irrelevant. Lightsabers vs Swords doesn't count.

I think people are disappointed because they wanted something new and SWTOR didn't deliver. Many of the people complaining bought this game, but didn't follow it like the fanbois did for 4+ years. They didn't read every update and pour over ever new nugget of information. So any counter-argument of "they didn't promise anything new" is stupid. Does anyone honestly think they would see a big message on SWTOR.COM that says "Star Wars MMO. Nothing new here!". With an MMO launching in 2011, it's expected to have new features!

Plain and simple, SWTOR is WoW all over again with less features.

Now I do recall WoW being called an EQ clone. Though it didn't last too long because WoW was almost unbelievably more successful. Much of WoW was heavily influenced by EQ but Blizzard's true genius, or incredibly lucky shot, was to make WoW much more accessible than EQ. Of course WoW was also launched as spreading internet access, improving speeds, and social gaming, was starting to build momentum. So WoW's success was due to more than being a good game. It was also the right game at the right time.

To me it appears that BioWare tried to trump Blizzard by making TOR even more accessible. The problem, in my opinion, is that they went too far. TOR feels much shallower, and much much easier, than WoW. You can reach endgame in a few weeks, or less, and face what most new mmorpgs have. As in pretty limited endgame content. BioWare also seems to have put so much effort into "story" that it hobbled development on the rest of the game.

Seriously, 800 people, 6 years, 200 million dollars, and UI customization is almost laughable? No LFG tool or faction wide channels? Space Combat is, at best, a mini-game? Even progression is almost painfully linear? BioWare had the time, treasure, and talent, to do better. They just had different priorities. Given their previous games it doesn't really come as a surprise but you would think that all the mmorpg developer vets they hired would have spoken up about what TOR was lacking.

Edited by SirRobin

Ok, I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to a wall. I never said that this system is working perfectly or even all that well. I just said that it's not an inherent problem with the tool, it's that people just don't WANT to use it.

I STOPPED USING IT ON NAR SHADDA BECAUSE IT DIDN'T WORK ON BALMORRA OR DROMUND KAAS, AND IT SURE AS HELL DOESN'T WORK ON THE FLEET.

While you were on Nar Shadda it didnt work for people on other planets? Unless what you type and what you mean are two different things, that is what I was correcting. I NEVER said that using the search function would magically turn up hundreds of people that actually want to group when they're weren't flagged for lfg.

And if we only had a cross-server LFG tool, I wouldn't have to camp on the fleet and spam, I could go to various worlds and do stuff I want to do.

And my point is you could do exactly that without an automated lfg tool, if people would just use the one they already have in game.

So I say, let's get one that works

One that works? You do realize theres a difference between something that doesnt work and something people dont want to use.

If I put out a spreadsheet program but nobody buys it and everybody sticks with excel, does that mean my product "doesnt work"? Not even remotely.

Edited by Akirator

And unfortunately the "innovative" crafting system is total **** for us dedicated crafters.

I could not agree with you more. Crafting is one of the things that I enjoy most about playing an MMO. It has always been a primary focus in every game that I have played. The system as it is now leaves me feeling like the crafting system was more of a last minute afterthought as opposed to a viable addition to the game.

And my point is you could do exactly that without an automated lfg tool, if people would just use the one they already have in game.

People aren't going to use it because at best, and assuming everyone uses it, it's an extremely inefficient system. You have to cycle through lists to find the instance you want, then whisper them, then run to wherever you're gathering. Oh, you're dps and not healer? You should have mentioned that in your hastily written LFG comment. Back to the lists. Oh so-and-so is stuck way the hell out on Hoth and he's got no teleport? Okay let's kill 10 minutes.

With a real LFG tool, you queue just like PVP and just focus on what you want to do until the players are found. It's so, so superior that there is no point in having the cumbersome outdated one even if people actually used it. It's used in PVP because it's so efficient, imagine everyone spamming general chat for PVP group while whiners complain at the loss of community with a tool that "instantly teleports you to a warzone."

If you don't want a WoW-style LFG tool, then great. Use the one you've got while I get the choice to use a WoW-style one. Then you look for groups on an outdated tool while I get my runs in.

Edited by kristoffbrujah

If you don't want a WoW-style LFG tool, then great. Use the one you've got while I get the choice to use a WoW-style one. Then you look for groups on an outdated tool while I get my runs in.

See that would not work, they want to deny us from such a tool, throwing tantrums and useing the "LFG tool will kill the community" card, not being able to back it up with some facts.

Just glad that BW has got to its senses, at least with this, now lets see how long we have to wait...

People aren't going to use it because at best, and assuming everyone uses it, it's an extremely inefficient system. You have to cycle through lists to find the instance you want, then whisper them, then run to wherever you're gathering. Oh, you're dps and not healer? You should have mentioned that in your hastily written LFG comment. Back to the lists.

With a real LFG tool, you queue just like PVP and just focus on what you want to do until the players are found. It's so, so superior that there is no point in having the cumbersome outdated one even if people actually used it.

I do use the "outdated tool", every day in fact. And I never have to wait for more than 20-25 minutes to run something. Same time it takes in WoW with their automatic one.

Now I do recall WoW being called an EQ clone. Though it didn't last too long because WoW was almost unbelievably more successful. Much of WoW was heavily influenced by EQ but Blizzard's true genius, or incredibly lucky shot, was to make WoW much more accessible than EQ. Of course WoW was also launched as spreading internet access, improving speeds, and social gaming, was starting to build momentum. So WoW's success was due to more than being a good game. It was also the right game at the right time.

To me it appears that BioWare tried to trump Blizzard by making TOR even more accessible. The problem, in my opinion, is that they went too far. TOR feels much shallower, and much much easier, than WoW. You can reach endgame in a few weeks, or less, and face what most new mmorpgs have. As in pretty limited endgame content. BioWare also seems to have put so much effort into "story" that it hobbled development on the rest of the game.

Seriously, 800 people, 6 years, 200 million dollars, and UI customization is almost laughable? No LFG tool or faction wide channels? Space Combat is, at best, a mini-game? Even progression is almost painfully linear? BioWare had the time, treasure, and talent, to do better. They just had different priorities. Given their previous games it doesn't really come as a surprise but you would think that all the mmorpg developer vets they hired would have spoken up about what TOR was lacking.

Absolutely 100% agreed.

The best way to describe SWTOR is to get ur toon...go into water about waist deep..right click ur mouse bottun and move into so u look underwater....

Guess what?..There's nothing there!!

This is SWTOR to a T!

Scratch the surface, and there's nothing underneath.

See that would not work, they want to deny us from such a tool, throwing tantrums and useing the "LFG tool will kill the community" card, not being able to back it up with some facts.

Just glad that BW has got to its senses, at least with this, now lets see how long we have to wait...

I agree, it's like debating a religious authority who chooses to impose their choice on you rather than giving everyone their own choice. I'm cool with you doing your thing on Sunday, just let me watch football.

Oh, I HAVE to go to church? Football is being banned? Okay, not cool.

I do use the "outdated tool", every day in fact. And I never have to wait for more than 20-25 minutes to run something. Same time it takes in WoW with their automatic one.

Awesome. Glad it's working for you. Doesn't work for me on my server, though, so like I said, go ahead and give me my LFG tool while you use yours. Difference is, I don't want to wait 20-25 minutes. I don't have the time and don't care to do it.

Everyone's happy if we both get what we want. Great.

Edited by kristoffbrujah

And I agree, the people who spout the "lfg kills communities" are kinda silly. My only point is we have an adequate system, not perfect of course, if people would use it, so BW shouldn't have this as a top priority UNLESS they make it x-server. Some servers are almost dead and would greatly benefit from a x-server lfg tool.

But if BW plans to make a server only lfg tool, I definitely think the time could be better spent on stuff that actually is essential.

wait for what all the QQ posts that someone ninja'ed your loot and that they need to put in a better system>

wait for all the QQ posts about how you were kicked for no reason and the elitists using the LFG tool are abusing it

wait for the QQ posts about how you still ahve to wait 20-40 min on a tank or healer and you dont have that much time

wait for the QQ posts about how someone in your group is just autofollowing someone and not doing anything.

wait for the QQ posts that the flashpoints are too long and you dont have an hour to finish them so they should be shortened.

is that what you are waiting on?

If any of you have been around launches of other MMOs (which I doubt many people here have), you come to realize that they aren't going to be perfect at launch. An MMO is a living, breathing game that evolves over time. Every single feature you want or have seen in other games will often be added in at a later date once they fix the most pressing post-launch issues. Let's look at the launch of WOW.

World of Warcraft

WOW has had SEVEN years to add content. SWTOR has had two months. Can you imagine how much better this game will be even a year from now? But I digress.

Does anyone remember the awful lag issues WOW had at launch? I sure as hell do. Many servers were crashing for a long period of time over and over. Lag, loot lag, falling through the world, etc. Queue times were often an hour or more. The game was often unplayable at times until WOW had time to fix hardware issues. SWTOR has actually done better than WOW in this regard. WOW actually had to give some people free days because the lag was so bad and the servers were so unstable.

I think WOW had one or two raids? There weren't any battlesgrounds. There weren't a lot of things.

(blah blah blah WOW was released in 2004 SWTOR should have all the features it does blah blah blah ) No, it shouldn't SWTOR is a unique game that will add it's own content.

I personally love this game. I sincerely enjoy playing it. Those who don't are more likely to be vocal about it on the forums. I never see any of this "I hate SWTOR" chat in game.

Launch is a difficult time for ANY MMO, and SWTOR has actually done better than just about any MMO I've seen before.

This game isn't WOW and it never will be. Don't expect it to have all the features you love from WOW 2 MONTHS after launch. Give this game time to work out the few bugs there are and add a bit of content over the upcoming months and this will be the best MMO there is. Bottom line, MMOs take time to develop and add content and this is one of the smoothest MMO launches I've been around.

Finally, a fellow WoW launch player. Yeah everyone else who "played" at launch tries to tell me there weren't hour long ques and such..

wait for what all the QQ posts that someone ninja'ed your loot and that they need to put in a better system>

wait for all the QQ posts about how you were kicked for no reason and the elitists using the LFG tool are abusing it

wait for the QQ posts about how you still ahve to wait 20-40 min on a tank or healer and you dont have that much time

wait for the QQ posts about how someone in your group is just autofollowing someone and not doing anything.

wait for the QQ posts that the flashpoints are too long and you dont have an hour to finish them so they should be shortened.

Most of this stuff can happen without that tool. I've had people take loot that was better than mine, for my class, for their companions. I've waited and given up on runs due to lack of tank/healer. This isn't stuff that can't be QQ'd about already.

I'm not entirely sure what side the sarcasm is supposed to fall on here, but either way...lol

And I agree, the people who spout the "lfg kills communities" are kinda silly. My only point is we have an adequate system, not perfect of course, if people would use it, so BW shouldn't have this as a top priority UNLESS they make it x-server. Some servers are almost dead and would greatly benefit from a x-server lfg tool.

But if BW plans to make a server only lfg tool, I definitely think the time could be better spent on stuff that actually is essential.

Sad thing is, there is a tool, already in the game, that does the same thing for warzones. What is the drawback for having it work with flashpoints? I am meeting and playing with a lot of the same people in warzones. In turn we have done a few operations and flashpoints together. If anything a flashpoint queue would be a community builder. Why was it not implemented at launch if a warzone queue was implemented?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.