Killing the Galactic Market!

DjDouglas

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Capitalists are a plague on the world. They're pitiful in video games as well as the real world. Always running around soaking up "wealth" like a sponge convinced in their minds something has "value".

Amazing.

Its good though that those tree huggin hippies at occupy protests contribute so much for the economy and for greater good. Without capitalists, we wouldnt have computers, internet, nice cars, phones, decent healthcare etc.

Capitalists are a plague on the world. They're pitiful in video games as well as the real world. Always running around soaking up "wealth" like a sponge convinced in their minds something has "value".

Amazing.

You forgot that it is FUN!

I like playing the economic systems in MMO's. Once I reached level 50 there wasn't much else to do except PVP. I get bored with that really fast. I like to find a crafting skill in a game and stick with it. I would love a more involved system like harvesting in this game. If I had something like that I would be busy surveying and planting harvestors instead of hanging out in the forums waiting for my crew members to come back.

I'm not trying to tick people off but this is a hot topic and it is fun talking to others and getting everyone's opinion on this. Even if some of them are snotty or scathing! We do get some very thoughtful responses as well.

I have come to the understanding that people wont stop posting things cheap and at this point (Due to this thread) I have reversed my opinion on the subject because I am actually in favor now of the resources going cheap. I would just like to see people being more thoughtful on the crafted items that takes time to train up, gather resources and craft. There are those of us that love the crafting part of the game and we make our credits from selling those items. We provide a service for a profit. No matter how painful that sounds it is not in our interest to craft these items if we cannot make a profit.

Edited by DjDouglas

imo the main thing killing the GTN is the stupid 2-day max listing considering when you're selling stuff <50, players that level or close to are busy out in the field and levelling, not sitting at fleet hoping an item is for sale before they leave for next planet.

to work they're gonna need a GTN in every main base (same as FFXI) or stupid orbital stations and link ALL GTN's with both factions cos when i play republic i notice the GTN is extremely sparse but imperial's fleet GTN is 'semi'-well stocked

You forgot that it is FUN!

I like playing the economic systems in MMO's. Once I reached level 50 there wasn't much else to do except PVP. I get bored with that really fast. I like to find a crafting skill in a game and stick with it. I would love a more involved system like harvesting in this game. If I had something like that I would be busy surveying and planting harvestors instead of hanging out in the forums waiting for my crew members to come back.

I'm not trying to tick people off but this is a hot topic and it is fun talking to others and getting everyone's opinion on this. Even if some of them are snotty or scathing! We do get some very thoughtful responses as well.

I have come to the understanding that people wont stop posting things cheap and at this point (Due to this thread) I have reversed my opinion on the subject because I am actually in favor now of the resources going cheap. I would just like to see people being more thoughtful on the crafted items that takes time to train up, gather resources and craft. There are those of us that love the crafting part of the game and we make our credits from selling those items. We provide a service for a profit. No matter how painful that sounds it is not in our interest to craft these items if we cannot make a profit.

That is true, but there is a lot of crafters and stuff to sell and very little demand. If people dont want to buy or pay for asked price, you can stop crafting if it doesnt bring any money for you, just like in real world. Price cartels doesnt usually work and certainly not when there is so many "players" selling same product.

I think there are two main causes for why you're finding the Items Priced at a much lower value that it Cost you to Farm the Mats and Craft them in the first place.

1: Players can find Many items you are able to craft through World Drops or by Spending their commendations on Random Boxes or Cases. If they put no effort into getting the item, they don't really have an understanding of the value of the item.. and therefore sell it low.

2: People who change their End Game Profession end up Selling back all of their spare materials they were collecting from lvl 1-50. They aren't going to take the time to price these items the "right" way if all they want is a small return on what are no useless Materials to them.

The market sets itself. Sometimes people will sell items with outlying prices because they don't know the value. If you think it's too low, buy them up and sell them at what you feel is a reasonable price. Otherwise, stop complaining about what people set their prices at.

imo the main thing killing the GTN is the stupid 2-day max listing considering when you're selling stuff <50, players that level or close to are busy out in the field and levelling, not sitting at fleet hoping an item is for sale before they leave for next planet.

to work they're gonna need a GTN in every main base (same as FFXI) or stupid orbital stations and link ALL GTN's with both factions cos when i play republic i notice the GTN is extremely sparse but imperial's fleet GTN is 'semi'-well stocked

That is something I am DEFINITELY in favor of! I would love to see GTN's on all planets. I was shocked to see that this game didnt have access to the market on most worlds. I've seen it (empire wise) on Dromund Kaas, and Alderaan. Those two planets and the fleet are the only places I know of to access the market.

Have you posted this in the suggestion threads? If I don't see it in a day I will be happy to suggest it.

Thoughts:

1. Someone posts something on GTN at a ridiculously low price.
  2. You find it.
  3. You do the math and you determine there is no way to produce that item for such a low price.
  4. You buy it.
  5. You relist it at a more reasonable price given actual cost to produce
  6. Repeat the above steps ad nauseum.
  7. You profit insanely.

Why you complaining, bro?

OP, I wouldn't be so inclined to just slap items in the sell pane and be done with it if the interface was actually user friendly. As it stands, it's a royal pain to try and do an research or trend analysis with what we have. I do mark-up artifacts and slotted epics, but for the most part, I just don't find the GTN UI friendly enough to invest a lot of time into the market. As a fanatic user of Auctioneer, I would like nothing more than to play the market, but pair the UI with screwy crew skills and you have pretty much nothing more than a flea market. Edited by Traumahawk

I wanted to call attention to the ongoing killing of the Galactic Market. When you post an item to the market there is a set price that items are valued at. Some items are incredibly difficult to get. A lot of items such as rare (Purple) class 6 Gems in Treasure Hunting are unbelievably difficult to get. They are also very costly. Problem is we have a system that is quickly being killed by people flooding the market with ultra cheap pricing. I saw items Blue and purple on the market today that typically are priced around 9000 to 10000 credits priced at around 1500 to 2000. The set value according to the market is around 4600 credits. The amount we spend to get some of these items through crew missions is around 4500 to 6000 credits. We do get small items every time we send our crew but those items do not sell, or the value they sell on the market does not pay for the cost to obtain them.

I am making a plea to the community to be a little more economically conscious. I understand you want to offload your stuff quick and make a quick cred but your hurting yourself and the market. Those items your pricing ultra cheap WILL sell for a much higher price but if you get everyone use to the cheap pricing, or worse yet start going below the suggested price you are doing this community a major disservice and your going to kill the economy. For those of us that have made it to level 50 the economy is pretty much all we have left. Crafting, looting and selling to better our equipment is what we rely on.

I understand a lot of people dont want to have to pay more for items. If you dont want to pay for it then get a crew skill and invest in obtaining it yourself. Lets support our economy and stop undercutting the economy!

For those that are massively overpricing items they will learn. If you believe an item is over priced then dont pay for it! You will eventually see those items come down. The market will fix itself. After all it is a market of supply and demand. If the stuff doesnt sell even at the market suggested price and it is not a heavily posted item then have at it. Run a sale, but there are items that are popular and those items prices and value should not be compromised!

Free market is free. There is no "set value according to the market" like you say. The prices and values are constantly changing in a free market, and are set by what people are willing to pay for something. This is macroeconomics 101.

If you think you can sell something for more than someone posted it, by all means buy it and repost. In fact, this is the best case scenario for you, because you don't have to spend the gathering time normally required to obtain these items.

They get to sell fast, you get supplies at no time-cost to you, and you get to sell at your desired price. Everybody wins.

Think of these people that sell below market value simply as suppliers, and your problem evaporates.

Free market is free. There is no "set value according to the market" like you say. The prices and values are constantly changing in a free market, and are set by what people are willing to pay for something. This is macroeconomics 101.

If you think you can sell something for more than someone posted it, by all means buy it and repost. In fact, this is the best case scenario for you, because you don't have to spend the gathering time normally required to obtain these items.

They get to sell fast, you get supplies at no time-cost to you, and you get to sell at your desired price. Everybody wins.

Think of these people that sell below market value simply as suppliers, and your problem evaporates.

Yes but there is a base (suggested) price. Never the less..

I am in agreement with everyone in regards to the free market "post what you want". If those people would like to become suppliers for those of us looking to make a profit so be it. We will support their pocket books while we fill ours. I just wanted to point out their miscalculations. They wont be able to do it for long with what it costs to obtain those items if they dont keep raiding to support their bad habbits.

Both my toons have zero crew skills and i dont use GTN to sell anything. There is no point to it. I have plenty of credits if i need to buy something without crew skills or selling on GTN. Personally its a bummer, crafting could be fun. But its not. Not even close so i dont do it.

The real problem is that it isn't an actual Auction house, it is a market with set prices. If we had the ability to auction on stuff that would help some. The second problem is that since comms and crafting make it stupid easy to get stuff, most things in the auction house are pointless.

The real problem is that it isn't an actual Auction house, it is a market with set prices. If we had the ability to auction on stuff that would help some. The second problem is that since comms and crafting make it stupid easy to get stuff, most things in the auction house are pointless.

I too would love to see an auction option on items. Its not that I dont want to sell stuff if they dont get the best price, I just dont want to undersell. I would be inclined to post items up at my cost and wait to see what the biggest asking price is in an auction. If people bid on it then great. If not then maybe the item isnt worth what it costs to obtain or make it so I move on.

On another note. I do not just place things on the market at high prices. I research the asking prices and I price mine competitively on the market at the higher prices. If items are posted at the suggested market price then if it is worth it I will post for that. If not I wait for the market to cool and see if the higher prices are posted again and I will price mine accordingly. If an item isnt posted at all then I price it at what research has shown the going price to be. Most of the time it sells!

So.. i shouldn't just throw up stuff on the auction house and take the suggested price it automatically gives? That's what I do to turn my items over faster.. Keep in mind this is just for the low level crap I get tons of while leveling up (currently lvl 23)

Yeah, I don't care about an in game economy, not one bit. I don't do any crafting at all, cause it is all pretty much worthless and not worth the time and credits to level it up. So I will vendor all green items, and then I put up any blue/purple items I get on the GTN at the recommended price for 2 days, if it doesn't sell in that 2 days it gets sold to the vendor.

I did!

The problem is I'm not there all the time to catch them. Them posting that could be good for us market guru's but it could also set the market expectation to a much lower level if it goes unchecked.

The problem is a lot of you overprice the items for what they are actually worth. Sell for the right amount, not the insane high price you want for it.

So.. i shouldn't just throw up stuff on the auction house and take the suggested price it automatically gives? That's what I do to turn my items over faster.. Keep in mind this is just for the low level crap I get tons of while leveling up (currently lvl 23)

If you want to make a profit I suggest you research the item in the listings.

(Yes it is a pain right now with the current search features we are blessed with)

If you just post the items at or below the asking price you are sorely missing out on some big profits!

For instance an Orange Lethal Crystal for level 47 is suggested around 6K to 8K. The asking price on the market is from 30K to 40K depending on the mood of the market. Those crystals DO sell for the higher asking prices!!! That is a lot of profit to be giving up by just posting at the suggested price.

Some stuff just doesn't sell though and you will find those out. But you don't learn without trying and at least trying can prove to be profitable!

There are a lot of people that would tell you your being selfish posting at higher prices. But the market is driven more by buyers than they are by sellers. If people are willing to spend that much then they want that item and they are willing to pay for it. Or they need that item and are willing to pay for it. They may not like it but it is a market of supply and demand. I dont like paying over $4 a gallon when I fill my car up but I have to!

Stupid oil companies and speculators. If I had a saber...

We should stage a major SWTOR flash mob at the nearest gas stations Everyone with the sabers drawn coming down on the pumps and then freeze for 5 minutes and walk away!

Edited by DjDouglas