The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

I realise alot of people in Swtor have very negative views in many things, and not wanting many important and useful features and addons that would improve/enhance game play and experience.

It seems that in their over zealous care and concern over the degrading of

"the community" they would rather not have those useful tools implemented. Not wanting this and that and those, you would end up with a pretty featureless games.

As all MMO, every new patch and expansions would bring new features/tools to the game. Are you guys say no to anything you perceive will degrade commnunities despite its usefulness? for once, rejoice in new features instead of the constant bickering and infighting in the forums.. :)

Ps: better to have and not use it then to need it and not have it

Edited by crimsonsglory

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise alot of people in Swtor have very negative views in many things, and not wanting many important and useful features and addons that would improve/enhance game play and experience.

It seems that in their over zealous care and concern over the degrading of

"the community" they would rather not have those useful tools implemented. Not wanting this and that and those, you would end up with a pretty featureless games.

As all MMO, every new patch and expansions would bring new features/tools to the game. Are you guys say no to anything you perceive will degrade commnunities despite its usefulness? for once, rejoice in new features instead of the constant bickering and infighting in the forums.. :)

I think it boils down to what folks define as a "jump the shark" moment in any game is for them. For some anything beyond basics kills the game. I am not in that crowd, but I can understand it. If you like something the way it is now, why would you want change?

Critical because you have to stop questing to go the flashpoint!?!?!? You can't do em both at the same time you know.

Let me let you in on a secret. It's called the Fleet Shuttle. Now I know what you're thinking it's a 20hr cooldown or you need the security key tied to your account to get em. Well that's Emergency Fleet Pass (20hr cooldown) and Fleet Pass (1hr cooldown). You see there's a fleet shuttle located near a quick travel location on EVERY planet. So Party is ready for flashpoint QT to that location and BOOM in the blink of an eye you're on fleet. No space ports, no orbital stations, no speeders no nothing! Another example of people not using the tools available to them and complaining constantly.

And again I'll say we already have the ability to queue from anywhere at anytime, have a group made for us, and be instantly ported to the group activity. It's called PVP.

And they have already said this will go cross server soon.

So why do I have to spam general (which requires being in Fleet and not out playing the game) to find a group and then pray everyone can get to the starting point in a reasonable amount of time just because my choosen activity is PVE instead of PVP?

That is my biggest complaint. If it is such an immersion breaker to get ported, if being able to queue from anywhere and get grouped automatically is so bad, and if doing all of this across servers really destroys communities, then why is it in place or being put in place for PVP?

Edited by DawnAskham

The same people who would see his chat spam are the ones who would be in a single server lfg. If there aren't enough people on the server at the same level range (they would be on the planet with him to see his chat spam) then a single server LFG wouldn't do him any good.

All that to miss the point that cross realm lfg can NOT help with heroic quests because the quest is not instanced in the way a flashpoint or operations is. It is not just a part of the server but the planet the player is on. Some are out in the open world some are in pockets on the planet. That's why you can still chat in general on that planet while inside it.

It does not matter you are not getting a cross server LFG tool. BW already said it will be single server so why are you bringing up a pointless debate? They are already looking at server mergers which is better then a cross server LFG tool.

BW says a lot of things. Nothing is set in stone. The benefits of a cross server LFG tool far outweigh the costs.

Sometimes i really wonder what this "cost" is all about.. i really dont get those guys.. see my above post.

The cost is that it does tend to weaken the bonds of a server community. I saw this firsthand in WoW and its why I was initially against a cross server LFG tool. The catch is that it would only have this effect if the server already has a healthy community. Day by day it looks like most servers are starting to flounder population-wise, and the need for a cross server LFG tool ceases to be a perk and more of a necessity unless BW wants to start merging servers or allowing transfers.

Still no news about when a proper LFD/LFR is coming? I think this deserves a comment from the Devs.

They are looking in to commenting on it. They want to, and they have their top people on it. However, there is much to discuss before they can discuss it. :D

I hope you're right. It concerns me that WoW was unable to fix the problems with their LFG tool for three years. Every time they implemented a fix, such as the votekick, people found a way to circumvent or abuse it, so determined were they to grief other people.

I believe destructive behavior increases with perceived anonymity. That's why big schools have more disciplinary problems than small schools and why big cities have higher crime rates than small towns. People will do all kinds of things if they think they can get away with it.

Maybe the creative geniuses at BioWare will come up with some innovative solution to this problem, and we can roll it out worldwide.

In the meantime, here are some ways you can get your flashpoints done.

--Offer to help people with 2 man heroics and add them to your friends list.

--Create an LFG channel on your server, and invite everyone on the Fleet to join it every time you're on the Fleet; yes, people really do use those channels.

--Check the Who list for everyone within range of the flashpoint you want to do (e.g., 27-32) and send them a private message asking if they want to come.

--Gear up one of your companions so it can fill the 4th role in a dungeon group. I know a couple of guys who 2-manned everything up to Colicoid.

--Look up the strats for the boss fights in advance, and offer to lead the group. (This is a strong selling point in the more complex flashpoints like Colicoid which are impossible if you don't know how to do them.)

--If all else fails, RP. "Master Satele urgently needs my assistance! Can anyone help me defeat the Mandalorian Raiders?!" Sometimes 50s run through old flashpoints for fun, and they may be so impressed by your moxie that they offer to bring you along or run through with you on their alt.

The bottom line is you don't have to wait for someone else to fix this for you; you can fix it yourself. Everyone on my server has been complaining that there's no PVP at level 50. The warzone queues just never pop. So I contacted every guild on both factions and invited them to a scheduled PVP event. We got the queues to pop for the first time in months, and it was a lot of fun, so now we're going to do it every week.

People seem to want things handed to them instead of making it happen for themselves. A guy in my guild jumped ship a week after he turned 50 because he said we hadn't invited him to any hard modes. Mind you, the first thing he did after he turned 50 was create an alt. He didn't finish his class quest. He didn't do any dailies. He didn't craft any epic gear. I guess he expected us to just carry him through some hard modes, and we probably would've tried if he'd bothered to sign up on our raid calendar. I'm sure he wants an LFG too.

Pure gold!!!!! Thank you for restoring my faith in mankind :) xXx

Cross server LFG featury is IMO very important and anticipated feature.

With my irregular gaming pattern finding a "raiding guild" is rather hard, getting into random group...well, I dont have time and mood for waiting 30 minutes to fill a group to run 30 minutes quest. Seeing general chat spammed with LFG or LFM is not very fun either.

About destroying community - what community? You like someone, you add him to friend list and group with him or join his guild. What other kind of "community" are we speaking about here?

Cross server LFG featury is IMO very important and anticipated feature.

With my irregular gaming pattern finding a "raiding guild" is rather hard, getting into random group...well, I dont have time and mood for waiting 30 minutes to fill a group to run 30 minutes quest. Seeing general chat spammed with LFG or LFM is not very fun either.

About destroying community - what community? You like someone, you add him to friend list and group with him or join his guild. What other kind of "community" are we speaking about here?

What other kind of "community" are we speaking about here?

beats me

Edited by crimsonsglory

China is wow's biggest market by a LONG way,
Just FYI: making another baseless assertion != providing a source.

There aren't physically enough servers to handle more than 2-3 million in EU/US.
and your source regarding the number of players a server can hold is?

Have they fixed it so a plate wearer can't need on leather? Have the fixed the issue where the leather for DPS warriors is better than plate?
Yes... a couple of years ago.

two of the big issues that were still happening in that game when I said good riddance.
then you quit before cataclysm was released, the latter was fixed a bit before cata (when they removed ar pen and added bonuses based on your armor set), and the former was fixed in 3.3.3 (~ 2 years ago) Edited by ferroz

The cost is that it does tend to weaken the bonds of a server community.
I see people claiming this, but they can't actually back it up in any way other that "I know because I saw it" ...that isn't really a valid support since other people didn't see it

I saw this firsthand in WoW and its why I was initially against a cross server LFG tool.
I saw the lfd tool release in wow first hand as well, and saw 0 change to the community as a result. Edited by ferroz

All that to miss the point that cross realm lfg can NOT help with heroic quests because the quest is not instanced in the way a flashpoint or operations is.
It's still instanced. Charcters are loaded into it from an arbitrary place. There is nothing that prevents them from making it so that you can help someone in heroics via cross server.

That's why you can still chat in general on that planet while inside it.
In wow, you can chat with other people who are doing the same raid that you are, but are in different instances... are you going to claim that this means that raids in wow aren't actually instanced?

The reality is that the game is set up to spin off new instances on demand for every zone, and there's already a mechanism in place to allow you move to the instance that someone else in your party is in. There's no reason that can't be made to work cross server.

In the meantime, here are some ways you can get your flashpoints done.

--Offer to help people with 2 man heroics and add them to your friends list.

--Create an LFG channel on your server, and invite everyone on the Fleet to join it every time you're on the Fleet; yes, people really do use those channels.

--Check the Who list for everyone within range of the flashpoint you want to do (e.g., 27-32) and send them a private message asking if they want to come.

--Gear up one of your companions so it can fill the 4th role in a dungeon group. I know a couple of guys who 2-manned everything up to Colicoid.

--Look up the strats for the boss fights in advance, and offer to lead the group. (This is a strong selling point in the more complex flashpoints like Colicoid which are impossible if you don't know how to do them.)

--If all else fails, RP. "Master Satele urgently needs my assistance! Can anyone help me defeat the Mandalorian Raiders?!" Sometimes 50s run through old flashpoints for fun, and they may be so impressed by your moxie that they offer to bring you along or run through with you on their alt.

Well, I don't think doing HMs with companions would be very healthy :) But in any case, while your suggestions can be helpful in a server with people, it cannot in one slowly eroding away. A couple weeks ago fleet was 3 times what it is now at peak. I've "traded" FPs aka I do this one for you you do this one for me, but the level of activity has decreased quite a lot and it's not going well. A cross srever LFD tool would put together

people wanting to do something without shifting even more people to populated servers and killing the other servers a bit more.

Given the level of "instancity" of the game I don't see why everyone isn't at the same server. That would make everything simpler, including "community" concerns.

Btw, here is a quote from Ghostcrawler in a Q&A from their internal post mortem on Cata (WoW)...

"The difficulty at which we pegged our heroic dungeons and raids was controversial. They were designed to be about as tough as the dungeons were back in Burning Crusade, but the game has changed since then. Coming out of Lich King, we’d gotten the message loud and clear from players that they wanted tougher challenges. They liked the convenience of Dungeon Finder, but they missed using their crowd control and survival abilities and having to strategize about how to beat a given encounter. We designed the Cataclysm heroics with that in mind, and the players who wanted challenging content were thrilled."

Their customer's like the Dungeon Finder!! Let that sink in a bit.

Also, this was in their, "what didn't go so well" section.

And again I'll say we already have the ability to queue from anywhere at anytime, have a group made for us, and be instantly ported to the group activity. It's called PVP.

And they have already said this will go cross server soon.

So why do I have to spam general (which requires being in Fleet and not out playing the game) to find a group and then pray everyone can get to the starting point in a reasonable amount of time just because my choosen activity is PVE instead of PVP?

That is my biggest complaint. If it is such an immersion breaker to get ported, if being able to queue from anywhere and get grouped automatically is so bad, and if doing all of this across servers really destroys communities, then why is it in place or being put in place for PVP?

As I have outlined previously I do not agree with their choice to go cross server for PvP. Also I pointed out why forming your own party and heading to the warzone wouldn't work.

I have never and never will advocate General Chat Spam and there is currently a system in place to find members for your party without spamming general and you do NOT have to stand in fleet. But people prefer to do that than use the current tool. Say what you wish it is still a better system than General Chat spam but stubborn people refuse to use what is available to them. But go ahead and keep brandishing "General Chat Spam" as your sword of righteousness against someone else's point of view when clearly they are not advocating that. Grain of salt and all.

I am disappointed to see the cross realm LFG tool being talked about as a future addition to the game. I was really hoping to keep that out of TOR just because of it's ability to destroy community in a game. I would be all for LFG server wide but cross realm is a no go for me.

MuFanatic, though I agree that cross server LFG for PVE is a bad idea, I feel very passionate about the addition of a server LFG tool, and cross server LFG tool for PVP. Anyone who says LFG tools, in general, is a community killer is not seeing the big picture. I have played MMOs since Meridian 59 back in the 90s and can tell you most of my friendships and connections to the server community was made through PVE content group runs, not spamming LFG over general chat. This game NEEDS a lfg tool to help people pug groups. Not everyone is in an active instancing guild and just would like a way to get into a group with likeminded players looking to run content. Players should not be hindered to find a group to run game content. It’s in the developer’s interest to give the community tools that will help them connect with each other not hinder them with general chat.

I have never and never will advocate General Chat Spam and there is currently a system in place to find members for your party without spamming general and you do NOT have to stand in fleet.

As you know, the tool available now only adds an icon next to your name showing you are looking for a group, and this is world specific causing players to go to an area with more of a pool (Fleet). This is not adequate to tap into the server pop. Players are on different worlds, in fleet, or doing space missions on their ships, reducing the amount of people available by about 25% on a world – 50% on fleet. Let the players see 100 % of toons looking for that run using a server LFG tool.

As you know, the tool available now only adds an icon next to your name showing you are looking for a group, and this is world specific causing players to go to an area with more of a pool (Fleet). This is not adequate to tap into the server pop. Players are on different worlds, in fleet, or doing space missions on their ships, reducing the amount of people available by about 25% on a world – 50% on fleet. Let the players see 100 % of toons looking for that run using a server LFG tool.

I suggest you take a moment to read the guide listed in my signature. The LFG tool will list people on all planets, inside flashpoints, warzones, on their ships the whole shabang. Once they're online and flagged for LFG you can find them by searching for "LFG".